Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTangerine Dream Live Memorabilia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tangerine Dream Live Memorabilia
    Posted: April 09 2012 at 18:47
For those of you who enjoy the early Tangerine Dream, -the more dense, dark and improvised sound sculpturing they were creating in the mid 70s - YOU guys are in for a real treat!!!
I've discovered a lot of fine music after a great big party with too much wino and people falling asleep around me - leaving me wide awake with a stereo and a computer hooked up to YouTube. What do I want to hear? HHHmmmmm TD perhaps? And here the other day after a bizarre Easter party(don't ask) I stumbled over these Tangerine Tree clipsLOL

What this first clip does, is give you a peak into just how imaginative this band was back when it consisted of Froese, Franke and Baumann. Now if you are new to this kind of thing, then skip to the 8 minutes mark and turn up your stereo, because this music needs to be loud. This is furthermore especially to those of you who love Rubycon and Ricochet - you should definitely have a listen.

And then afterwards, I listened to this one, which is perhaps even better(Slightly better recorded too). TD live from 1973 and 40 minutes of musicBig smile:

Happy Easter!! 

Edited by Guldbamsen - April 10 2012 at 11:09
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2012 at 18:59
I've heard these before and they are awesome. Great find indeed!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2012 at 19:25
I just discovered them, and I am totally blown away by just how brilliant and fluently these guys weave in and out of each other's playing.
And I really like those snuffling sequencers of the first track. 

I have to go to bed now, because I have to throw kids around and dance silly, eat fruit, read aloud and draw pictures in the morning. Uuuhh that is a lot of things and I have to get up in 5 hours... Better get some sleep, before I find even more of these TD clips.
I'll see you around Alan - and happy easter to you.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2012 at 20:43
The 1973 TD is fantastic, David Clap !
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2012 at 11:08
^Yep I think so too Pierre!
I was so overwhelmed by these clips, that I totally forgot to get some sleep last night...

Anyway, just so this thread is able to branch out a bit, I thought we could discuss how TD sounded/sounds in a live setting. The different eras, what kind of personal faves one's got and so forth.
In addition to that, has anyone here actually attended a TD concert - perhaps even back in the 70s? I'd love to hear some thoughts on that.

Here's another live clip from these electronic sorcerers:
Live Reims 1974

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2012 at 11:11
Sweet! I'm going to check these out in more detail when I get home.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2012 at 11:26
Cool.

Some of these are actually pretty good - especially if you hook your computer up to a decent pair of speakers and give it some juice. I am listening to the Reims concert and it sounds remarkably good.

- Douglas Adams
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 10:43
Hi,

I never thought that the early days are better than today ... but I do think that the earlier days when they floated a lot more, made for a lot more interesting material and that ... potentially ... this has made TD a bit more boring and repetitive since then.

It's almost all the albums up to 220 Volt Live ... that you can hardly find anything that sounds the same, or feel the same. I can not say the same thing since and think that a lot of their work is now just theme oriented, not experience oriented.  That's me, though!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2012 at 10:20

Good news, the Berlin 73 posted above has been made available the 2CD reissue of Atem. Bowdown

And the wonderful 80 minute 'Klangwald' recorded at Cologne WDR-Sendesaal in 1972, which was also only available as a bootleg till now, features on the Zeit 2CD reissue.
Klangwald is in the same vein of Zeit but better (i'm not that fond of Zeit), with lots of organ and Schulze 'Cyborg' sounds Tongue

Let's hope the Reims 74 features on some future reissue, though it is doubtful that the Virgin records will ever get a reissue worthy of their status.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2012 at 15:48
Hot damn!!!!!!
Karl you are literally Johnny on the spotBig smile I was just thinking that I needed some more TD in my collection... Thanks man.

BTW I had completely forgotten about this thread, thanks for the reminder. Think I'll have a listen to these clips again - at least while I wait for that reissue. Yummy!

Oh and let's hope that this just is the beginning, and that we now can look forward to some rare surprisingly good live material from Froese and friends. Here's hopingBeer

- Douglas Adams
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2012 at 20:07
Does anybody know if Tangerine Dream's `Firestarter' soundtrack is going to be reissued on CD any time soon? I noticed it appears out of print, and the few copies on Ebay go for a fortune!!

I've heard most of it, and I think it's far and away the best material they put out in the early to mid 80's, far more atmospheric and immersive than `Hyperborea', `Thief', `White Eagle' etc! Doesn't sound like a soundtrack either, simply an effective and hypnotic electronic album.
Morsenator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2012 at 01:39

Ricochet and Rubycon are two my favourite TD albums, guess I'll have to check these out some day Tongue

You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

Post Reply Post Reply