FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHas prog ever made you cry?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 22>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 06:02
I remember when I first heard Godspeed You Black Emperor (the skinny fists album) - I received it in the mail at work, and took it in the car for my lunch break.  I sat in the car listening to it and felt an immediate connection with it.  It was like a soundtrack for my life (wow, is that narcissistic or what).  I think a tear or two might have seeped out.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 06:14
If you want to see 25,000 prog/folk fans blubbing in cracked harmony (myself included), just go to Fairport Convention's annual festival at Cropredy; Fairport always end the set with 'Meet On The Ledge' - a beautiful song about us being reunited with our loved ones after death.

Always makes me think about those I've lost & always brings on a tear (luckily, it's usually raining, so no-one can see I'm not being manly ) - there's rarely a dry eye in the field (see previous rain comment).

Also - the line "Now I've lost everything, I give to you my soul" from Genesis's 'Afterglow' (in fact the whole version on 'Seconds Out') can get me going.

The most embarrassing one which had me going though, was the cliche ridden schmaltz that is 'The Spirit Carries On' by Dream Theater

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 06:17
^ True that The Spirit Carries On. Gets most of males and all of our girlfriends/spouses too.
There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 08:50
I have strong emotions even with Kayak's "Coming Up For Air" (the album I mean). Not properly crying, but Universal Totem Orchestra and Area are quite moving. More question of music, not of lyrics.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 09:10
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

The most embarrassing one which had me going though, was the cliche ridden schmaltz that is 'The Spirit Carries On' by Dream Theater

I was at Radio City Music Hall when they played this, which was recorded and released in the Score album. THAT was powerful.
Riuku View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 09:13
The almost happy sounding guitar in A Trace of Blood during the fast piano sections is the most misleading thing ever...it's amazing how he manages to make it feel so lost within the music. The last minute or so of Dryad of the Woods is amazing as well.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 09:20
Not prog, but when the lights were switched off and a black chorist raised her fist lightened by two beams of light, Johnny Clegg had just finished singing "Asimbonanga", dedicated to Nelson Mandela and we had some seconds of silence before a great applause. It was in Rome in 1985

The same year Rick Wakeman played the whole Journey to The Center Of the Earth in one shot with Ashley Holt and the few people present under a tent raised up for a standing applause like at a classical music concert.

But the time when I cried more was at the first Pink Floyd concert in Rome in 1986. There was a riot outside the stadium and Police's tear gas was brought inside the stadium by the wind....Cry

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 09:34
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

I was at Radio City Music Hall when they played this, which was recorded and released in the Score album. THAT was powerful.

I've got a version of this on 'Live Scenes...' which was recorded at RCMH; same gig?

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 09:54

Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

I've got a version of this on 'Live Scenes...' which was recorded at RCMH; same gig?

No, that was in 2000 right after they released Scenes From a Memory. This was 2005 for their 20th anniversary - they played the whole second half of the show with a full orchestra. Best show I've ever been to. Nothing beats the amazing sound quality of that place. Not a bad seat in the venue - perfect acoustics that are crystal clear anywhere in the venue.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 09:58
Originally posted by colorofmoney91 colorofmoney91 wrote:

I felt kind of internally upset when I first heard "Epitaph" from ItCotCK. The way Lake sings "I fear tomorrow I'll be crying" has so much emotion in it.

I have always thought that the line, and many others in this album, was much more about the poetry in them, than it was about the "singing", and this is quite evident later ... listen to him telling you ... "don't tell me lies" ... and Carl accentuating it with his bass drum! ... how much more of a hint do we need, right?

At the time, and it was a very big part of the theater and film work in the late 60's in NY, London, Paris and a few other places in the world, it was a time for a lot of experimentation and vocal work, and different expressions and styles. The fact that some of it got into rock music is not a surprise ... rock music was the "last" of these arts to take on many of those attitudes, and a lot of it has to do with the way that music is taught ... which tends to invalidate ALL the expressions that are currently being used in any local area -- which are constantly compared to the "standard". This is th emain reason why I would prefer the "progressive" description and definition to be more open to prevent people from hearing a synthesizer and automatically say ... that's progressive ... or the same in another style ... you hear a Hammond organ and it's automatically blues!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 10:01
Originally posted by Marty McFly Marty McFly wrote:

Queen - Innuendo (because it's Freddie's epitaph)

This is even better when you see him do this on the "Behind the Music" ... he knew he was gone, but he did not fear telling you goodbye and say thank you. That's pure art and understanding and puts Queen in a very different light when it comes to their music.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
DaveyByTheSea View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 10:55
An excellent thread.....everytime I comeback to read the new posts somebody has put a song on that I'd forgotten carried an emotional charge! There are 2 types of "pre-cry" from my perspective, one is associated with just how beautiful the song sounds and the other is the weight attached to it from  either nostalgia or an emotional time. Obviously for me ( as a Yes fan) i'd have to say Turn of the Century, And You and I, Soon.  Other tracks would be  Paradise - Bruce Springsteen.... 1000 People - Blackfield.....39/Love of My Life - Queen.....Meadows of Heaven - Nightwish.....Red Hill Mining Town - U2...Us and Them - Floyd................masses of others too...and I also agree with Visions - Stevie Wonder !  ( surely there must be some prog connection for this to come up as often as it has!!!! )
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 11:38
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Marty McFly Marty McFly wrote:

Queen - Innuendo (because it's Freddie's epitaph)

This is even better when you see him do this on the "Behind the Music" ... he knew he was gone, but he did not fear telling you goodbye and say thank you. That's pure art and understanding and puts Queen in a very different light when it comes to their music.

There is many things that makes their music (and personalities of Freddie + to lesser extent other 3 members, but they do too) so great. Interesting for Prog fan like me, but at the same time, appealing to almost everyone.

I have yet to know a person who hates them. Ahem, except those who had roommate in 80s who kept listening to Queen all the time, therefore completely spoiling it for him.

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 11:51
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

Gorguts- when the violin comes in on Obscura... damn

I find Clouded is a beautiful song. Hasn't quite brought me to tears, but the harrowing nature of the song is moving stuff. I'm glad someone has reacted that way to a track on Obscura.  

Edited by irrelevant - April 14 2012 at 05:13
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 11:57
Yeah Pain of Salvation's albums The Perfect Element Remedy Lane are very moving. CLOSE TO THE EDGE too! Opeth, especially Damnation album.
And my favorite, Neal Morse. So personal

Edited by AlexDOM - April 13 2012 at 11:58
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 13:06
Once when listening to Supper's Ready Apocalypse I cried in 9/8  Smile
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 13:10
Originally posted by Riuku Riuku wrote:

An odd one is Chain Lightning by Rush. I have no idea why.

It's a song about sharing an experience with a loved one, so I could see how you'd get emotional listening to it.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 15:28
Originally posted by RoyFairbank RoyFairbank wrote:

Before one of my classes some girls asked me and two other guys if we ever cried (one was arguing that men don't cry because their emotions are black and white), I said the last time I cried was when a long term pet had died a little over a year ago, but that music sometimes made me well up. Another girl was shocked, "Music!? What kind of Music!?" These three girls in particular are known for their well-broadcast fondness of Korean pop whose lyrics they could not understand- so I think I understand that they would be bewildered by the suggestion music could move someone. The girls voice was utterly shocked, I wish I could convey it, as if the concept of crying or feeling any deep connection to music was unfathomable. Classic.

Prog for me unleashes very, very deep emotions. I don't listen to my favorite band, Floyd, too much, because it unleashes great forces of introspection and awe at the universe, society and my fate in my mind. I've listened to Floyd since I was a child, and its like a Freudian connection.

I don't cry frequently, or sob or anything, but a tear has dropped a few times over the years. Oddly enough, one song that effects me is Fanfare For The Common Man by ELP, I don't know why, it just conjures up images that I consider beautiful.

More frequently I reach that "pre-cry" stage where I think most men naturally go to, rather than outright shedding tears.

I'm listening to Dark Side Of The Moon as its raining outside.... It's pretty powerful stuff.

Similar experiences, or "no one should take music so seriously."

Most of what you wrote applies to me too. Floyd is certainly the band that moves me the most. I can cry, laught, etc. when I'm listening to them. "High Hopes", "Us & Them" are some of the songs that really touch me. I remember crying a lot when Rick died too.

Queen, Genesis, ELP, King Crimson, are also some bands that can make me cry (or almost) sometimes. I "More Fool Me" is a song that really moves me, although a lot of people don't like it. I think it's really emotional.

There are also songs that make me cry because they have a special meaning, like "Can You Feel The Love Tonight" from Elton John, that reminds of my childhood, although that's not prog at all.
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
CryoftheCarrots View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 17:25
The entire Lamb Lies Down On Broadway live Archive discs get me every time. Beautiful ,moving music performed by a band never to be repeated in the same lineup.
"There is a lot in this world to be tense and intense about"

MJK
Riuku View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 19:00
I think it hits me more because if I recall that collection he wrote it with his daughter, or for her or something, and then she died.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 22>