Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Fascinating Contradictions Of The Beastie Boys
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Fascinating Contradictions Of The Beastie Boys

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 07:29
Honestly, Beastie Boys aren't exactly my cup of tea, but I like to read posts from people who are excited and detailed about bands they love. It sometimes gives me pause for reconsideration.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 07:32
Textbook, a poster you see,
Made threads that shouted out "ME"
The attention he got
Whether due him or not,
Resulted in banning for he.

Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 07:33
Exactly. I mean that's mostly how I find out about new bands.

I don't get people who read a post like mine and go "THIS POOR MAN IS OBVIOUSLY QUITE INSANE. HONESTLY, THE VERY IDEA THAT AN ART FORM SUCH AS HIP-HOP WHICH IS LOVED BY MILLIONS AND BEEN CONSISTENTLY POPULAR FOR THREE DECADES MIGHT HAVE SOMETHING TO OFFER ANYBODY. WHAT NONSENSE." I don't get why they're even reading a forum like this because they've already decided not to even try to learn anything.
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 07:34
Snow Dog: TECHNICAL FOUL

You had to use the object pronoun "him" in that final line. Grammatical cheat, you are disqualified.

I WIN. I AM THE BEST BATTLE RAPPER LOGGED IN TO PROGARCHIVES AT MIDNIGHT ON FRIDAY.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 07:36
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

Snow Dog: TECHNICAL FOUL

You had to use the object pronoun "him" in that final line. Grammatical cheat, you are disqualified.

I WIN. I AM THE BEST BATTLE RAPPER LOGGED IN TO PROGARCHIVES AT MIDNIGHT ON FRIDAY.

Artistic license!Approve
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 07:42
And on a serious note, this thread really really wasn't started in an attempt to be controversial or get attention. They're a multi-million selling act, have made several records regarded as classics and are sometimes included on "best acts of all time" lists. I didn't anticipate people would have a stick up their ass about a member of the board finding them noteworthy. But when some people did choose to go "I DO! I HAVE A STICK UP MY ASS! WITH TWIGS AND LEAVES ON IT!" well I have to sort them out son, thas how I do, get they heads right, nahmsayin? Cats be messin up the game with these poisonous thoughts, I ain't havin' it son, homie don't play dat, heads gonna get checked. You come rockin up this hood with that close-minded sh*t, I'm knock your baseball cap off son. I'm put my foot on it when you try to pick it up. Then I'm drool on the back of your head while you bent over. Then I'm hold out my elbow over your head for you to smack it on when you stand up, then I'm push you over backwards where you'll trip over your girlfriend who I got down on all fours behind you cos I was just giving it to her doggystyle. Then I'm pick up your baseball cap and pull it down over your grandmother's head so she can't see and her curlers is all messed up. Thas how it is g. Thas how I roll.

Edited by Textbook - April 13 2012 at 07:47
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 07:45
Is it really already midnight in Harlem, Brisbane?
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 08:01
And then I pull that stick out ya ass and beat ya grandma with it while she's all like ""Help, help, I can't see, he pulled the hat down too tight, oh my god I'm blinded and being beaten with a poopy stick and I like it" cos your family gets down like that.
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 08:14
Yeah.... As I said, rap doesn't really impress me all that much, as you might have gathered. Nice effort though. Keep working on it.
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 08:17
Have you listened to alternative/underground/conscious/critically acclaimed rap or just stuff on radio/TV? Because if you haven't tried the real stuff (I totally, totally agree that most mainstream rap is garbage) then you don't know what you're talking about. And if you think about it, that's not a put-down, it's the literal truth.
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 08:17
Beastie boys are some of the only 90's rappers that I don't hate. Not a fan personally but if someone puts their music on I will not complain about it.

I prefer more of the whole avant/prog hip-hop like Busdriver, RA the Rugged Man, El-Producto, etc.

Also no offense to anyone's rhyming skills but we are on a prog website. Even if you're not white, you're still whiter than most people. :-P
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 08:20
I prefer the avant/prog hip-hop too.

Note I never said the Beastie Boys are my favourite act or the best act ever or anything similar to those claims. I said they embody some fascinating contradictions.

The Beastie Boys are all about fusion. All along the way from the very concept of the band to the Fight For Your Right II video, they take disparate, alien elements that shouldn't work together and join them so seamlessly that people don't even notice that two things that don't belong together are in fact now belonging together. It's an amazing ability.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 08:25
I hardly see "contradictions" in the career of the Beastie Boys, but rather an evolution.
What would be contradictory would be seeing them, let's say, singing for Tibet while accepting to play in front of Chinese officials - and "forgetting" to talk about Tibet.
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 08:32
They're juxtapositions rather than contradictions. But npjnpj doesn't know that word (read the thread) so I didn't want to confuse him.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 08:45
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

It's so interesting that you suggest I should keep my musical opinions to myself because they're not the accepted norm on the forum.

Progressive this is Dean, Dean this is progressive.

Now is this a progressive forum or a let's-all-pretend-to-be-openminded-while-actually-being-totally-straitjacketed-in-our-tastes forum?

You don't have to like the Beastie Boys. But you do have to read my initial post here and respond to the content of it, rather than tell me it's inadvisable to voice opinions others might not share, at least if you want to have a conversation in this thread rather than just make yourself feel clever.
A couple of observations - I never said you should keep you opinions to yourself, just temper the aggression when the responses you get tend towards the negative, even if provoked. Bickering is never a productive form of discussion, denigrating those that would converse with you isn't going to garner positive replies. And sorry if this juxtaposition of smart words and dumb ideas makes me appear more clever than I am, that is how I write, how you read and interpret those words is not my concern.

Secondly the word progressive is not a tyre lever that can be used to coerce every form of music into an ideal of progressiveness - just as "experimental" is not really a literal description for the majority of music that claims to be experimental. Accusations of not being open-minded are not addressing taste, predilections and preference when directed at people who don't share your opinion - people are allowed not to like what you find good just as you are allowed to like what I don't - that has nothing to do with being progressive or openminded.
What?
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 08:51
But npjnpj isn't "those that would converse with me". He said YOUR THREAD SUCKS I'M HUNGRY GOT ANY CHIPS and then threw up on my floor. So he got slapped upside the head. It happens.

And I literally said you're allowed to dislike the Beastie Boys. What I asked is that you *respond to my initial post*. If you don't like the Beastie Boys or think I'm lionising them, fine, tell me that, but explain why. Otherwise, don't join the conversation.

npjnpj's post was egregiously stupid in that the topic could have been about Outkast or Vanilla Ice and his post wouldn't have changed. He wasn't responding to me, he was being inane and offensive to the spirit of the thread. That's why I stomped on it and he seems to have taken the point so we're all good. In the hood.
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 08:59
Naaa.... not really.
I just felt like winding you up a bit ( in addition to not really appreciating hip hop all that much, I'm afraid).
Clearly didn't work though.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 09:00
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

Naaa.... not really.
I just felt like winding you up a bit ( in addition to not really appreciating hip hop all that much, I'm afraid).
Clearly didn't work though.

I think it did.LOL
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 09:13
I like the Beastie Boys, got some great stuff across their discog, when sampler is closer to sound-collage than simply lifting someone's chorus, then I can enjoy it.

Australian band Avalanches, before they stopped rapping

We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
JazzMusicArchives.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2012 at 09:57
I think the Beastie Boys are quite cool
The kind of rap act that makes you drool,
True, they started out like one big party
And the pants of their lyrics were not too smarty
but they grew over all that matter
and their music has become better.
Their image is not best on PA