Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat do you listen to prog on?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: What type of set up do you use most often to listen to prog?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [24.14%]
1 [3.45%]
3 [10.34%]
3 [10.34%]
12 [41.38%]
3 [10.34%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2012 at 20:14
Wow... great answers. Thanks everyone!
I really should have included "vinyl" as a distinct option on the poll.

If it's worth playing, it's worth playing loud!
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2012 at 22:35
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by colorofmoney91 colorofmoney91 wrote:

I listen to prog on methamphetamine.
Me too - helps me blend in at the gym. Everybody's doing it, so why can't I listen to Amon Düül ll whilst benching?

Do you guys actually mean what you are saying?

On the topic: earbuds & MP3, even though it did cost me some of the hearing ability in the past.

Try going to the gym and blending in without meth. Not possible.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2012 at 23:27
Technically, none of the above. My computer is my main entertainment center, but "computer speakers" is disparaging. Granted they're M-Audio AV-40s, but going through a 24-bit, 192 kHz interface is not like sh*tty laptop speakers. But I don't listen to other band's music all that much these days anyway.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2012 at 02:33
If I could vote I would vote headphones - I need my privacy! And I dont wanna miss a thing
mono View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2012 at 08:59
1. Full sized headphones (BeyerDynamics)
2. Studio Monitors (Mackie MR series)
3. Bluetooth speakers (Parrot Boombox, with guests, party...) 

and yes, I can actually play prog when other people are around.
https://soundcloud.com/why-music Prog trio, from ambiant to violence
https://soundcloud.com/m0n0-film Film music and production projects
https://soundcloud.com/fadisaliba (almost) everything else
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2012 at 09:11
I don't have an option for me here. My micro system, though I have a "proper" stereo too. Can't stand vinyl.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2012 at 09:41
^ Why can't you stand vinyl?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2012 at 09:46
^bad sound. Scratches. Crackles. Pops. When CD was invented I was truly happier.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2012 at 13:46
Its a personal choice. I will always listen to vinyl, if its available on vinyl that's what I buy. CDs to me are overpriced for what you get, very bad pressings of overly compressed recordings that lead to listener fatigue...at least for me anyhow.
There are many, many vinyl issues that sound better than CDs. All my Porcupine Tree sound better than the CDs, but I blame Steven Wilson since he is so obsessed with sound quality. Hence everyone wants him to mix and/or remaster their recordings.

Since I listen to Prog Rock/R&B/Jazz/Prog Metal......once the music starts I never hear any pop, crackle......Distorted guitars, drumming, synths and everything else covers a slight pop everyonce in awhile.
Now if I was a classical music listener...probably do CD or Digital only so I can hear all those quiet passages undisturbed....but I am not.

All of my early Rush albums still sound pretty damn good....but I am a fanatic for taking care of my vinyl and always use better than average equipment and keep everything aligned as close to perfect as possible.

But that's just me......!
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2012 at 14:08
^ Yes me too, I would always prefer to hear 70's stuff in vinyls, dynamic is much wider and it just sounds better (to my ears at least). I also prefer the mixing in the 70's (of course there are more than some crapy ones) to the mixing done today. I feel today there is to much analizing to the instruments and to the overall mix.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2012 at 14:21
PC headphones (when wife wanna watch TV)
PC & home stereo (when wify not........)
Car stereo (when .....) USB or CD
PC speakers (when at work) USB
Very rare - Vinyl or CD + home stereo (usualy not even connected my turnable, a question of limited space)  
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2012 at 14:29
Computer Speakers and my Room Stereo, first and foremost.

I try to avoid earplugs/headphones, but I do have my seasons where I listen to a lot to my MP3. Mind you, I realize that a lot of stuff sounds better with headphones, lots of details you can't hear on PC speakers or even in my room.

I still do not drive, but I love choosing the CD's for the car. I can't wait to listen to my stuff on the road!
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2012 at 15:03
Why can't I vote in this poll?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2012 at 15:30
Originally posted by sagichim sagichim wrote:

^ Yes me too, I would always prefer to hear 70's stuff in vinyls, dynamic is much wider and it just sounds better (to my ears at least). I also prefer the mixing in the 70's (of course there are more than some crapy ones) to the mixing done today. I feel today there is to much analizing to the instruments and to the overall mix.
How do you mean "dynamic is much wider"? From a technical aspect vinyl does not have the dynamic range (volume) of CD and it has poorer channel seperation (width) than CD or tape, there is nothing inherrent in the vinyl medium that would create any objective measure that could be referred to as wider dynamic. I accept that it sounds better to your ears, and I don't mind totally subjective reasoning for preferring vinyl over CD or tape. I too prefer vinyl over tape and CD because it is asthetically pleasing from a purely engineering perspective to see sound being produced from grooves in plastic platter using something as primative as a needle connected to an electromagnet - for a 135 year old invention it is a marvel that it is still so respected today.
What?
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2012 at 16:26
What I mean is that today's mixing and mastering have a lot of compression, while in the 70's the mixing was much more dynamic, it's not because of the vinyl, it's due to how things were done back then. I'm sorry my previous post wasn't written well, my bad. But you see what I mean now.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2012 at 16:36
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by sagichim sagichim wrote:

How do you mean "dynamic is much wider"? From a technical aspect vinyl does not have the dynamic range (volume) of CD and it has poorer channel seperation (width) than CD or tape, there is nothing inherrent in the vinyl medium that would create any objective measure that could be referred to as wider dynamic. I accept that it sounds better to your ears, and I don't mind totally subjective reasoning for preferring vinyl over CD or tape. I too prefer vinyl over tape and CD because it is asthetically pleasing from a purely engineering perspective to see sound being produced from grooves in plastic platter using something as primative as a needle connected to an electromagnet - for a 135 year old invention it is a marvel that it is still so respected today.

lurkingSmoke

Yup...waiting for the reply on "dynamic is much wider".

Flyingsod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2012 at 18:30
I once saw a graphical depiction of a wav file for Rush's Caress of Steel from an LP and another from a CD. The LP wav had an easily discernible large dynamic range while the CD wav had a very small and nearly unnoticeable dynamic range. For whatever reason it seems to be the norm to use a lot of compression when reissuing an LP release on CD. The argument I normally hear is that most people listen to music in their cars these days and quieter passages have to be boosted to be heard over road noise.

Perfect technical specs matter little when humans are making decisions not based on perfection.

This space intentionally left blank

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2012 at 02:03
^ That is correct, bands, mixing or mastering engineers are trying to find the point where they have enough compression but still maintain some dynamic range. Of course some take it to the extreme of having no dynamic range at all. The idea is that the listener wouldn't have to adjust the volume according to the song dynamics. 70's albums have loud parts against very quiet parts that are barely listenable, and compression solved that "problem", but it did got us to where we are today, not saying if it is bad or good.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2012 at 02:04
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

From a technical aspect vinyl does not have the dynamic range (volume) of CD and it has poorer channel seperation (width) than CD or tape, there is nothing inherrent in the vinyl medium that would create any objective measure that could be referred to as wider dynamic.

This is also true.
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2012 at 08:57
But seriously, I only listen to prog on my iPod, and sometimes through my laptop speakers when I'm working out (usually only extreme prog metal though).

I've never listened to an album on vinyl, though I have a few vinyl records inherited from my father which I use as decoration.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>