Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo you think that life is fair?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 04:21
Fairness is different thing to different people. Fairness does not always equate to equality or humane treatment.

In this regard, no life is not fair. It never has been, and I suspect it never will be, because there are too many people running the show, for whom fairness is either an irrelevance or at best an afterthought.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 05:37
"A trip to the fair
But nobody was there."
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 06:06
"My people were fair and had sky in their hair but now they're content to wear stars on their brows."

...life has not the capacity to be fair or unfair only people can do that, and in that regard anyone who feels entitlement will always see it as unfair.
What?
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 06:32
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

"A trip to the fair
But nobody was there."

Great tune, that.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 06:33
AH: I'm just leaving that alone.

The T: I'm honestly not *trying* to tie this to religion at all, I think it naturally comes in to the picture. As OT says at the bottom of pg 2, talking about life being fair assumes sort of purpose or design to life, an equalising force that attends to things. This leads straight to religion.
RoyFairbank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 10:07
Life isn't fair compared to what it could be.

A medieval person would think his life was unfair if he could witness a modern mode of existence.

A very poor person today would think his life is unfair witnessing a very rich persons life.

Etc.

As long as their is disparity, there is unfairness.

Owing to the fact there is a lot of disparity in human society, there is a lot of unfairness.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 10:27
An intelligent medieval person would just recognize his life was different. Disparity does not equal unfairness. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 10:44
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Yes its fair.  We all get what we deserve  in the end.  That is why I will be winning the Lottery at the weekend.

I don't know if the wealthy ever deserved tax cuts.

Life (that is Mother Nature and other people) is like a freakishly poorly constructed building you've purchased. You walk into it upon the time of your birth, prepare for some a-falling of concrete and other stuff. There are quite a few people out there who found a reason to sell it at a much lower price.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - April 24 2012 at 10:45
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 11:01
There are many aspects of modern life (esp. modern working life) that a medieval person would find utterly unfair and practically barbaric by comparison to what they would be used to.
What?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 11:26
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Yes its fair.  We all get what we deserve  in the end.  That is why I will be winning the Lottery at the weekend.

I don't know if the wealthy ever deserved tax cuts.

Indeed.  I am more than grateful for what I've got from life because it is much much more than what many of my countrymen can afford.  I can afford to browse the internet from the comfort of my bedroom while many others sleep on the pavements because they have nowhere to call home.  So, I think life has dealt me a fair hand but generally speaking, life is not fair at all, humanity is not what it is made out to be.

Edited by rogerthat - April 24 2012 at 11:28
tupan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 11:27
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Originally posted by zappaholic zappaholic wrote:

Life is neither fair nor unfair.  It's just life.

This.

It's all about enjoying the joys of your existence before (and during) your periods of suffering.  Regardless of personal perspective or status we are all going to suffer in profound ways.  Those with more have more to lose.  The well-offs only temporarily escape because they had a cushier life.......and even those blessed with the love of a family and children will have to suffer the loss of them......there's a few lines in the film Shadowlands that say it quite well.  Enjoy every moment for all you can. 

Oh, and don't overthink it.  It won't help anyway.   

This!
"Prog is Not Dead and never has been." (Will Sergeant, from Echo And The Bunnymen)
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 14:23
Originally posted by tupan tupan wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Originally posted by zappaholic zappaholic wrote:

Life is neither fair nor unfair.  It's just life.

This.

It's all about enjoying the joys of your existence before (and during) your periods of suffering.  Regardless of personal perspective or status we are all going to suffer in profound ways.  Those with more have more to lose.  The well-offs only temporarily escape because they had a cushier life.......and even those blessed with the love of a family and children will have to suffer the loss of them......there's a few lines in the film Shadowlands that say it quite well.  Enjoy every moment for all you can. 

Oh, and don't overthink it.  It won't help anyway.   

This!

Puzzling. How can you enjoy your existence during your periods of suffering? Besides, our perspective is shaped with what we go through. It's the inevitability of suffering that makes life puzzling and, therefore, unfair, unless you deserve suffering. Naturally, it's not always about merit. Humans are one part of the problem, Mother Nature is the other.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - April 24 2012 at 14:27
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 14:47
^There will be moments of joy and happiness even during hardship and the death of yourself or a loved one.  Even then, take the good, however brief, from those times.

Edited by Finnforest - April 24 2012 at 14:47

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 16:11
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Puzzling. How can you enjoy your existence during your periods of suffering? Besides, our perspective is shaped with what we go through. It's the inevitability of suffering that makes life puzzling and, therefore, unfair, unless you deserve suffering. Naturally, it's not always about merit. Humans are one part of the problem, Mother Nature is the other.
I'm not so sure that you can relate the question to enjoying or suffering, there are plenty of examples where people who struggle get satisfaction in their lives and others where people who have it all can not find happiness.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 16:18
Life is like a box of chocolates - you never know..... Aaarrrgh damn, I knew it was too soon to quote Mr. Gump, no matter how right he, or his mother to be exact, might beEmbarrassed
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 18:18
Wrong. Life is just like a pizza.
It's always too cold when the guy delivers it.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 18:43
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Life is like a box of chocolates - you never know..... Aaarrrgh damn, I knew it was too soon to quote Mr. Gump, no matter how right he, or his mother to be exact, might beEmbarrassed
Gah! ... you never know what? I've never seen the film on account of it having Tom Hanks in it and on account of it being too American (probably).

You can't leave me hanging in suspenders like that ... what? Why is life like a box of chocolates?

Life is like a box of chocolates...

... you never know which one is monkey poo?

...you never know whether they are injected with strychnine?

...you never know if anyone has already licked them to see what flavour they are?

...you never know whether you can lick them to see what flavour they are without getting caught?

...you never know whether the person who packed them washed their hands after that last bathroom break?

...you never know if the only reason your aunt bought you chocolates fro christmas was because that's what you bought her last year, and yes, it probably is the same box?

...you never know whether the person who bought them for you put any thought into it or simply chose the most innocuous mid-priced box they could find in the gas-station shop so they didn't appear over-keen or too cheap?

...you never know that the box of chocolates your girlfriend has just given you was really given to her by your brother who has been banging her while you were down the gym playing squash with your best friend that you've known since high school?

...you never know why your best friend that you've known since high school suddenly bought you some chocolates in a heart-shaped box, but perhaps now is the ideal time to stop going down the gym for a game of squash, or at least not sharing a communal shower with him afterwards?

...you never know that your wife bought you a box because she scratched your mint condition In The Court Of The Crimson King vinyl that you foolishly left on the turntable instead of putting it back in the protective dust-free lint-free acid-free paper sleeve like you normally do and hasn't summoned the courage to tell you so she put it in the protective dust-free lint-free acid-free paper sleeve in the hope you'll not notice?

...you never know whether the cacao farmers get quite such a fair trade from the fair trade agreements as the International Fair-trade Certification Mark would have you believe or whether the bulk of the premium paid by the chocolate manufacturers is absorbed into the system as management and administration costs so that a very small percentage of that money ever reaches the farmers, where estimates range from as little as 1.6% to 18% (yeah, I know) of the premium being paid to the farmers involved in the scheme?
What?
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 18:50
Dean, you need moderating.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 19:01
whay? is it 'cos I said poo?
What?
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 19:07
We all live until we die. Seems fair enough.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>