Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSolterra for Psych (or Possibly Prog Metal?)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solterra for Psych (or Possibly Prog Metal?)
    Posted: April 24 2012 at 00:41
I've only listened to this group briefly but it seems like they'd be a good fit here. Psychedelic instrumental music that also ventures occasionally into metal territory. Their album can be listened to in full here.

Edited by VanVanVan - April 24 2012 at 09:33
"The meaning of life is to give life meaning."-Arjen Lucassen
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 03:49

From the band's facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/OfficialSolterra:

"Biography:
Formed in the summer of 2011 by drummer Ryan Bannigan and guitarist Tanner Lichty. After recording their 4 song EP at the Nut House Studio in Fort Collins in July 2011, Chris Dreiling joined the band and took up bass duties. The trio began recording their debut album in October 2011 and released the album for free on February 28th 2012. Ryan Sims was added as the newest member of the group in February 2012 as a rhythm guitarist and keyboard player.

Description
Solterra is a four piece band that currently resides in Lakewood and Fort Collins Colorado. The band released their debut album 'Soul, Earth, Sun' on February 28th 2012, and can be downloaded for free here:
http://solterra.bandcamp.com/album/soul-earth-sun.

They are currently looking for new show prospects and management.

Solterra strives to create fresh and unheard soundscapes in their music by combining instruments into a fusion of progressive instrumental music. The music knows no limits because the band chooses to explore many genres, and weave in and out of many different emotions in their songs. Each song attempts to provide the listener with a unique listening experience.

Artists we also like
Minus the Bear, The Sound of Animals Fighting, RX Bandits, Tool, Rush, Mimosa, Five Day Rhetoric"

Well, it's certainly Instrumental Progressive Rock, and worthy of a place on the site for sure...but where do you put them??  As you suggest, there are some tracks with a psychedelic feel to them, some tracks that have more of a Metal or Heavy Prog edge to them, and there are yet others which are not that far removed from Post-Rock territory. I'm thinking that maybe Eclectic should have a listen to it first, though the variations actually within the individual tracks are not, in general terms, sufficient for the compositions themselves to be considered as Eclectic Prog. There's not enough Psyche overall for them to go in Psyche, not enough Metal for them to go in Prog Metal, and I don't really see it fitting in Crossover either, so basically - I give up!!
Good band though, and a free download on bandcamp, so enjoy it everyone! Approve
Incidentally, the topic title could do with a slight tweak...the band's name is spelt 'Solterra', rather than 'Soulterra'...It will prevent some possible confusion if you could amend it. Thanks!  Thumbs Up
VanVanVan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 09:34
Whoops! I knew that. Embarrassed

Fix'd
"The meaning of life is to give life meaning."-Arjen Lucassen
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 23:18
Listened to this yesterday.  Definitely not metal, but I think Heavy Prog could be appropriate.  Even if a lot of their music is not all that heavy, I think enough of it is.
Or Eclectic.

Not to get too much off on a tangent, but what kinds of music do those other bands play (other than the two obvious ones!)?

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2012 at 04:45
^  Minus the Bear, The Sound of Animals Fighting, & RX Bandits, are all experimental alternative pop-rock bands with prog leanings. They have all been suggested for inclusion here in the past, and after some debate, rejected. Five Day Rhetoric are similar, but have only been together for a shade over a year, and have just a single EP to their name so far. As far as I know they have not been suggested for inclusion to date, and would probably suffer the same fate as the others if they were. Mimosa could be one of several bands, none of whom have any obvious connection with the type of music played by Solterra, or indeed PA for that matter, but I'm guessing they are referring to this Mimosa: http://www.discogs.com/artist/Mimosa+%285%29, a 'Purple Sound' artist. You'll find them all well-represented on YouTube. Hope this helps. Smile
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 21:38
Very nice stuff. I think the various elements in the music are kind of wrapped in a poppish kind of blanket, so personally I'd say crossover is best for these guys. I'll alert the team.

Also, Alec, now that you're a PR you can always pop these suggestions right into the team threads in the CZ. Smile
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2012 at 22:00
This band has released another album, Umbra.

I'm thinking post-rock is probably the best fit.  Are they under consideration by any of the teams?

http://solterra.bandcamp.com/album/umbra

Solterra Umbra

released 06 November 2012
Produced by Solterra
Engineered by Chris Dreiling
Drums Engineered by Matt VanLeuven @ The Denver Drum Room

tags

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2012 at 03:27
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Are they under consideration by any of the teams?

It would appear not. All the PA teams for the various subs suggested in this thread so far use progfreak, and a search for Solterra on that site returns nothing. Andy has already alerted Crossover (some time ago now, too) but there is definitely nothing in their chart - I went right through the 's' entries in case there had been a typo when the artist was added. No sign of them, or anything approximating to them, so it looks like this needs a bump in the team thread. Embarrassed
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2012 at 03:59
^ Done. Handshake
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2012 at 20:05
koolz