Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFavorite Unknown Prog Metal Bands

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2012 at 14:04
I think Foo Fighters are great. 
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2012 at 14:06
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Then don't listen to it. Confused

I never do it by choice...but they play their stupid songs at my gym every day and sometimes I forget my headphones and have to endure the torture of repetitive pop... *gag* "music".

Foo Fighters are pop as well now these days are they? I guess everything is pop at the end of the day.
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2012 at 14:13
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I never do it by choice...but they play their stupid songs at my gym every day and sometimes I forget my headphones and have to endure the torture of repetitive pop... *gag* "music".

Foo Fighters are pop as well now these days are they? I guess everything is pop at the end of the day.

I consider anyone who only knows four chords to be pop. Actually Foo Fighters are not the worst thing they play on the gym's radio station. There are some things that make it a struggle not to jab my car keys into my ear drums.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2012 at 14:16

I consider anyone who only knows four chords to be pop. Actually Foo Fighters are not the worst thing they play on the gym's radio station. There are some things that make it a struggle not to jab my car keys into my ear drums.

Only knows four chords.....you are not serious? Anyway any Foo Fighters album is better than the DT bore fest.

And I'mnot much of a Fighters fan. just hate seeing a band disregarded so much. especially by a DT fan. Very shakey ground.

Edited by Snow Dog - April 25 2012 at 14:17
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2012 at 14:25

Only knows four chords.....you are not serious?

Everything I've heard by them was laughably simplistic.

Also, have you seen the videos where they make fun of other bands? So disrespectful, and who are they to do so anyways? Like they're so amazing. I hate them for that.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2012 at 14:30

Only knows four chords.....you are not serious?

Everything I've heard by them was laughably simplistic.

Also, have you seen the videos where they make fun of other bands? So disrespectful, and who are they to do so anyways? Like they're so amazing. I hate them for that.

Simple music is  not laughable. Music is not necessarily about complication. I have seen a few videos but none that you mention. can you show them to me? 
Mutez View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2012 at 14:33
Dreamscape.    Progressive Powerfest UK 2007 introduced me to them.    Their similar to Dream Theatre, but in my opinion they are better.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2012 at 14:35
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2012 at 14:37
^Can we share that popcorn?
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2012 at 17:05

Originally posted by Mutez Mutez wrote:

Dreamscape.    Progressive Powerfest UK 2007 introduced me to them.    Their similar to Dream Theatre, but in my opinion they are better.

I've got one Dreamscape album (5th Season) and while it is decent, I'd much rather listen to most of Dream Theaters catalogue, but that's me.

I have heard a couple of tracks off of Dreamscapes new album, however, and it sounds pretty darned good, but I can't find it on cd, only in digital download Cry

Most prog-metal fans by now have heard of groups like Myrath, Redemption, Dominici, Vanden Plas, Darkwater, Pagan's Mind, Seventh Wonder, Circus Maximus, etc. so I'm not sure how 'unknown' they are.

There's a decent, local (to me) proggy-metal band called Silent Lapse that I enjoy their album 'Birthright', and it can be downloaded or bought for free from their website. 

And speaking of Circus Maximus that I mentioned above.....Don't go to their website!!! I got a nasty virus called Smart Fortress 2012 from visiting it just Monday (23 Apr 12). I was hoping the website would tell me when their new album was due out, and instead had to take my PC into a tech shoppe to get rid of the virus Angry
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2012 at 17:39

Simple music is  not laughable. Music is not necessarily about complication. I have seen a few videos but none that you mention. can you show them to me? 

Here's one:

No, simplicity in itself is not a bad thing.  Take Beethoven's fifth symphony - EVERYONE knows that "BA BA BA BUM!"  from the beginning.  But he doesn't just stop there, he elaborates on that theme and tells a little story.  Well, imagine he didn't elaborate.  He just went "BA BA BA BUM! *pause* BA BA BA BUM! *pause* BA BA BA BUM!" etc.  That would be stupid, wouldn't it?  Well, that's basically what Pop music does.  Never tries to do anything interesting, just introduces an idea...then repeats it OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER...until you want to jab something deep into your eardrums.

If music were like food, then people who listen only to Pop music are living on a steady diet of sugary candy.  Nah, there's nothing wrong with candy...in moderation.  But it should be a small part of your diet, and in today's culture 99% of people live on nothing BUT musical candy.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2012 at 17:44

Back to topic  Stern Smile

What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2012 at 17:48
Originally posted by Jbird Jbird wrote:

And speaking of Circus Maximus that I mentioned above.....Don't go to their website!!! I got a nasty virus called Smart Fortress 2012 from visiting it just Monday (23 Apr 12). I was hoping the website would tell me when their new album was due out, and instead had to take my PC into a tech shoppe to get rid of the virus Angry

I don't think you got that virus from their website buddy, I'm on their street team and have been on the site many times...no viruses here.
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2012 at 21:59

Originally posted by Jbird Jbird wrote:

I don't think you got that virus from their website buddy, I'm on their street team and have been on the site many times...no viruses here.

Well, as soon as their page finished loading, I got all kinds of virus alerts from my anti-virus program. Coincidence?

I'm no computer expert, but I didn't get any alerts until I visited the site, making me think it was from their site *shrug*

I sure hope it wasn't, as I'm a big fan. But why wouldn't it have shown up until then if I had gotten it from somewhere else?
Valarius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 10:29
Love Dreamscape! I have all their albums except their latest, 'Everlight'... not sure if it's actually been or being released on CD, can only find downloads of it, and I'm a CD collector.

There's so many awesome Prog bands that are generally 'unknown' to the public. See if anyone knows any of these bad boys: (not all of them may be strictly Prog, but they're all that European Prog/Power Metal type).

Andromeda (they do get some mentions on here, but I f**king love this band so much, sadly, they own have about 2500 fans on Facebook)
Atmosfear
Coudscape
Communic
Empty Tremor
Icycore
Mind Key
Mind Odyssey

And probably my favourite 'unknown' band: Wingdom.

ElephantTalk View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 13:10
Not sure if they're considered Unknown, but I wouldn't place them among the prog metal mainstream...

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 13:27
Any band with Hellhammer is not going to be completely unknown,Wink but I gues they're "seldom noticed" - good band though Thumbs Up
What?
NecronCommander View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Metal Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 13:34
Check out Ne Obliviscaris's new album, just dropped about a week ago.  Far better than anything Opeth have done in years.

Also, it disgusts me that so few people have ever heard of Mare.  They only had one EP released but it is by far one of the most unique and incredible masterpieces of dark, avant-garde metal.

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 13:46
Danish band Düreforsög are definitely overlooked - and especially their first outing wields a brutal metal kind of music. Highly recommended and very jumpy. 
Kind of like Primus go death metal:

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
gerdtheater View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2012 at 00:28
An unknown Prog Metal band might be Dreamscape, Seventh Wonder, Shadow Gallery, Royal Hunt, and maybe Threshold. But they're all awesome Wink
Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.
Neil Peart
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>