Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - do you like the "dark side" of the discography?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closeddo you like the "dark side" of the discography?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 09:46
^^^^....

Never understood those who didn't like Final Cut. It is the most mature Floyd album, which makes use of big Floydian mechanisms but also tries to rely more on subtleties. The album is a masterpiece, though I wouldn't call it as important as the Wall, DOSTM, and maybe not as entertaining as Animals. Just as important as the music is the message.... and if you don't get the message your missing out on a lot more than say.... wish you were here, which is fairly clothed in regular Prog rock. Final Cut is a platform for lyrics.... much like Roger Waters solo albums.
RoyFairbank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 09:59
Originally posted by Big Ears Big Ears wrote:

Phil Collins was a good drummer with Genesis, but I do not want to hear his solo work or the albums he produced for Eric Clapton.

Those albums with Eric Clapton are a load of fun. IT'S - IN - THE - WAY - THAT - YOU - USE - IT! Phil Collins incredible drumming dominates the albums and you don't even remember clapton's parts. I remember one critic calls Collins drumming a "whomping technique." Very true, I love it. Drums should sound like explosions, that's what the drum gods intended.

Clap
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 10:03
Originally posted by RoyFairbank RoyFairbank wrote:

^^^^....

Never understood those who didn't like Final Cut. It is the most mature Floyd album, which makes use of big Floydian mechanisms but also tries to rely more on subtleties. The album is a masterpiece, though I wouldn't call it as important as the Wall, DOSTM, and maybe not as entertaining as Animals. Just as important as the music is the message.... and if you don't get the message your missing out on a lot more than say.... wish you were here, which is fairly clothed in regular Prog rock. Final Cut is a platform for lyrics.... much like Roger Waters solo albums.

One reason I do recall: People who bought the album upon the week of it's release, complained that it was too much like a Roger Waters album. I only heard the album once. That was the headline news for awhile. The whole entire attitude amongst Pink Floyd fans ...they disagreed with the music and the album developed a bad reputation. Waters had taken over the band and hardcore fans took it a bit too seriously. It wasn't an extreme situation where someone shoots "Dimebag" for changing his direction, but more ...an abundance of snooty attitudes in the Floyd fans. This is all true and it happened a long time ago.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 10:16
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

One reason I do recall: People who bought the album upon the week of it's release, complained that it was too much like a Roger Waters album. I only heard the album once. That was the headline news for awhile. The whole entire attitude amongst Pink Floyd fans ...they disagreed with the music and the album developed a bad reputation. Waters had taken over the band and hardcore fans took it a bit too seriously. It wasn't an extreme situation where someone shoots "Dimebag" for changing his direction, but more ...an abundance of snooty attitudes in the Floyd fans. This is all true and it happened a long time ago.

Ironically Roger Waters had never released a regular solo album up until the point of Final Cut, so it should have been difficult to tell what a Roger Waters solo album sounded like.

Pros and Cons, the closest album to Final Cut, is still very different in style (much less Floydian), and the next two albums he released were even more different.

Final Cut is much much closer to, say, the Wall, then it is to any Roger Waters solo album.

The problem people had with Final Cut is that it is a lot less pop/rocky then previous Floyd. It is darker and more cerebral. It is not accessible, nor does it get into audiophile-friendly grooves like earlier Floyd music. Hence it seemed like a stale exercise to people who weren't paying attention to the message and concept.

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 10:32
Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

I love all of Rush's stuff
I love all of Genesis' stuff up to Invisable Touch
I don't like any Yes past Relayer
I don't any ELP after Brain Salad Surgery
And really all I like from Crimson is thier first three albums and thier three 80s albums (I really tried to get into "mid-Crimson or 90s-Crimson but I just can't)

And all other Prog bands I like I'm still exploring thier discogrophy so I can't say, really.

1. I dislike  each an every studio Genesis album after Wind & Wuthering, but I hate every Genesis studio album after Duke.
  2. I only love Drama and a bit of The Ladder, don't care about any other post Relayer album
  3. Works I has it's moments and Black Moon is a very good album, not a masterpiece though
  4. I only like ItCotCK (masterpiece) and a couple songs from Red, can't care less for the rest of King Crimson.
  5. Jethro Tull kept a very decent level after their golden years, I can listen and enjoy all their discography, .
  6. I like "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" as much as most early Pink Floyd albums.
  7. I hate Vinyl Confessions and Drastic Measures by Kansas, sounds like fundamentalist confessional music of inferior level, lets face it, without Steve Walsh there's no Kansas,if they don't have Roby or Dave Ragsdale is even worst.
  8. After Pompeii, Triumvirat was no longer the great band they used to be.
Of course this is my personal opinion, not a fact at all.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 01 2012 at 10:33

Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 11:03
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Alitare Alitare wrote:

I actually like The Final Cut more than the Wall. Neither of these are my favorite Pink Floyd album, though. But hell, I like The Final Cut more than Animals (by a very small point!)

You do know that with the exception of two cuts, the whole of "The Final Cut" was originally a part of the longer and uncut version of The Wall ... right?

Take out "Not Now John" and one other cut, and see the rest of it fit in the story  of The Wall!

How did we get to that topic?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 11:06

One reason I do recall: People who bought the album upon the week of it's release, complained that it was too much like a Roger Waters album.

That's funny. The Wall is mostly a Waters album. Did they know that? If yes, what did they think of that?

Edited by Dayvenkirq - May 01 2012 at 11:09
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 12:25
I always dug Nektar's Magic is A Child and plenty of their other later albums, despite them not being the ballsy acid trips of their earlier stuff. They're more like The Doobies if they had done a ton of unusually potent doobage in the studio and writing process.
N-sz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 12:53
I haven't been around long enough to know many of these bands' full discographies, but I really love some of the stuff from 90125. If you can just embrace the absolute cheesiness of it unconditionally, you will love 90125.

I'm always kind of interested in those 'dark side' albums. They always look so mysterious, but usually once you get them, I imagine the mystique would go away and you'd find that you've got yourself a very uninteresting album. They're still kind of fascinating to me though, because every once in a while, I think, there's some really cool stuff in the dark side.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 16:43
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

One reason I do recall: People who bought the album upon the week of it's release, complained that it was too much like a Roger Waters album.

That's funny. The Wall is mostly a Waters album. Did they know that? If yes, what did they think of that?

I remember buying the Wall the first week it was available in stores. Everyone around me was taking about the album and everyone was discussing the tour that was about to begin (I think) and it just seems that most people then...associated the name Pink Floyd with the Wall and the stage show itself.. I don't know what went wrong with people around me or why many of them were disgusted with Final Cut? All I recall were people thinking that Waters was taking over the band and they thought he was egocentric. It doesn't make sense because as you say..the Wall was more of Waters taking.

Edited by TODDLER - May 02 2012 at 09:40
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2012 at 10:11
Much of this music was actually catagorized as "selling out" during this period in time. The reaction within society was an extreme one. I remember when this came about and it (of course), had to do with everyone being exposed to complex bands with odd time signatures through the media for decades. It was another lifetime. I remember the "Milkman" standing on my porch in 73"..talking all about "Selling England by the Pound. People in society were so informed and the record companies were allowing bands to compose 20 minute pieces...which that is an ancient concept. To be signed with an internationally known record label like "Atlantic" or "Columbia", compose and record a progressive rock piece, and not have someone standing over your shoulder suggesting editing. When prog supposedly "sold out" and in the musicial sense,..people around the globe reacted harshly. Musicians related harshly because of all the bullsh-t that went along with it. They were no longer given the luxury of recording creative progressive pieces, making good profit, and being promoted and expressing who they actually were through their music. This experience seems farce to me now, but at that time people were quite out of bounds with their prog cult following (which was very much like a club), and how their world was shattered with prog being cut-off and everything in general slowly falling further to the underground.   

Edited by TODDLER - May 02 2012 at 10:14
mjf85maf View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2012 at 12:42
I guess I'm going to be the only one to confess a love of Gentle Giant's Civilian...
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2012 at 13:49

I remember buying the Wall the first week it was available in stores. Everyone around me was taking about the album and everyone was discussing the tour that was about to begin (I think) and it just seems that most people then...associated the name Pink Floyd with the Wall and the stage show itself.. I don't know what went wrong with people around me or why many of them were disgusted with Final Cut? All I recall were people thinking that Waters was taking over the band and they thought he was egocentric. It doesn't make sense because as you say..the Wall was more of Waters taking.

The Wall still had a measure of collaboration, including (from memory) three co-written tracks with Gilmour. Plus the fact that their financial situation had gone tits up with the crash of their investments through dirty deeds meant that they absolutely had to have a success as Floyd.

The Final Cut was, effectively, a Waters solo album made with the rather unhappy playing of Gilmour & Mason. All admitted it at the time.

Oh, and we all said Waters was an ego maniac at the time, because it was true. I say that as a huge admirer, BTW.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2012 at 14:06
Originally posted by mjf85maf mjf85maf wrote:

I guess I'm going to be the only one to confess a love of Gentle Giant's Civilian...

I happen to be listening to it right now. I think I gave it a 3 star rating when I reviewed it here back in the mid 16th century. I don't think GG ever released a dud. The band wasn't pleased with it especially Minnear although Weathers liked it as far as I can remember back in '80. But they moved on when it was time to move on. Derek Schulman even signed Slipknot and Nickelback Dead when he became president of Roadrunner Records. I dunno I have no problems with any GG album. At least he didn't sign Céline.

Edited by Vibrationbaby - May 02 2012 at 14:06
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2012 at 14:22
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

The Wall still had a measure of collaboration, including (from memory) three co-written tracks with Gilmour. Plus the fact that their financial situation had gone tits up with the crash of their investments through dirty deeds meant that they absolutely had to have a success as Floyd.

The Final Cut was, effectively, a Waters solo album made with the rather unhappy playing of Gilmour & Mason. All admitted it at the time.

Oh, and we all said Waters was an ego maniac at the time, because it was true. I say that as a huge admirer, BTW.

Vee all know it vas a Roger von Vaters solo musik rekord. I sink that zis is a gut musik. Gilmour has a couple of good solos. When I listen to it I just go for the Gilmour solos and his vocals on Not Now John ( arguably the best track on the album ) rather than wade through Roger's whining Jesus Jesus what's it all about drivel.

I

Edited by Vibrationbaby - May 02 2012 at 14:35
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2012 at 15:22
I think prog general opinion can get a bit mired in formalism.... hence the attitudes towards APP and the Final Cut. There's some deeper stuff there then just the structure of the music. Also why I don't understand a lot of the newer "prog bands," who are almost exclusively formalistic purveyors of prog music. Yet another highlight of the problem is the attitude that lyrics and themes don't matter, or the former is just another instrument. Scary. This is mainly Prog's own fault for dropping the ball on this important part of music, but Pink Floyd in its classic years especially and bands like the APP are not to blame as much, whereas bands like Yes and Genesis tended to take the easy way out. This gave Prog music a certain aimlessness. The very meaningful bands tended to stick closer to classic rock out of deference to its greater track record, but this all fell apart in the 80s anyway, and had been long in decline in the 70s. Think the Who, their music is a lot deeper than just thunderous bass, windmills, crashing drums... etc. There is a reason they stayed with a mix of prog and classic rock and didn't move into symphonic, and that is so they could deliver their message more effectively. That is a different kind of prog approach, that is more about content and aims of the music and less about how it is structured.  

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2012 at 17:48
I wouldn't say prog artists dismissed the importance of lirycs, or that they tried to find the easy way out. The easy way out would be more lirycs about boy meets girl, brokenhearts, having fun, etc, which lot's of pop and rock bands did. Prog artists at least used to stay out of such matters. Perhaps many of them weren't the best liryc writers, but they certainly did not try to find the easy way out.
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2012 at 18:24
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Vee all know it vas a Roger von Vaters solo musik rekord. I sink that zis is a gut musik. Gilmour has a couple of good solos. When I listen to it I just go for the Gilmour solos and his vocals on Not Now John ( arguably the best track on the album ) rather than wade through Roger's whining Jesus Jesus what's it all about drivel.

I

I love that drivel to pieces as long as the music is stark, jarring, catchy, and full of Gilmour solos. You're right on the Money about Gilmore Girls' solos. 

I don't have any more bread crumbs, Gretel. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2012 at 18:27
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

... Derek Schulman even signed Slipknot and Nickelback Dead ...

Stern Smile LOL

Edited by Dayvenkirq - May 02 2012 at 18:27
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2012 at 19:50
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I wouldn't say prog artists dismissed the importance of lirycs, or that they tried to find the easy way out. The easy way out would be more lirycs about boy meets girl, brokenhearts, having fun, etc, which lot's of pop and rock bands did. Prog artists at least used to stay out of such matters. Perhaps many of them weren't the best liryc writers, but they certainly did not try to find the easy way out.

The easy way out among talented and generally ambitious musicians (which the pop-rockers are only to a degree) is creating music from jams and attaching lyrics about fantasy and empty mysticism, they are merely attached with no great consideration, there is no theme and attitude that is being built on, or it is confused and unfocused. This makes the music a little aimless even if it is very very good. This is the easy way out for talented musicians who do not want to commit to making artistic statements in three dimensions. They try to let the music for music's sake talk for itself, but it often only does so to a certain extent. This is one reason why some saw Prog as pretentious (although there are many other and contradictory reasons). It's ambition lacked some dimension. Artists who had something to say in the other dimensions tended to construct their music differently, a subtle difference, but nevertheless.

One example in the same band is Emerson Lake Palmer, with its vapid heyday orgies of symphonic prog compared to its later song Paper Blood, clearly constructed on the lyric and theme (and is clearly more classic rock than symphonic) and which has a brilliant message. You can do both, but it takes more exertion of different parts of the brain, besides the outright musical in some cases. Look how Dylan retreated into better produced and harder rocking music as he had less to say and periodically became more stripped down when he thought of some stuff to say.

Ideally, you should be able to pull a Yes and still be able to sort out the intellectual problems and experiences of which rock as a long type of album narrative music has one of the best abilities to express among art forms - far better than most art forms for sure, perhaps only less than film. To me, it is clear that Waters and co. were geniuses at achieving this, even if their structures sometimes were not quite as compelling as they could be, like with his solo albums, or quite subtle, like with the Final Cut, which has a lot of suspense.

Edited by RoyFairbank - May 02 2012 at 19:53
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>