Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2112 vs. A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which of these prog epics do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
37 [45.12%]
45 [54.88%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2012 at 16:59
MMCXII
geneyesontle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2012 at 19:54
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Rush will still be playing 2112 when 2112 arrives.....

Imagine them in 2112. They will be in heaven playing this album. Or... THEY WILL BE THE OLDEST MEN EVER. 

But anyway, my vote goes to VDGG.
Poseidon wants to Acquire the Taste of the Fragile Lamb
- Derek Adrian Gabriel Anderson, singer of the band Geneyesontle
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2012 at 20:02
VDGG have the best song on offer here though I adore 2112 esp the first 10 minutes then it delves into exploratory soft rock and loses my interest. Plague is a killer track that captures me from beginning to end on every listen.
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2012 at 08:41
2112 easily!
Prog On!
Riuku View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2012 at 09:06
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

When I saw the poll, I thought that this was a strange match-up, and hadn't really considered the lyrics of both, but all things are a part and apart.  The are considerable structural similarities between the two (suites), so an interesting match-up.

Originally posted by snowsnow snowsnow wrote:

Love them both. Voted VDGG.

Same.  Both are great tracks.  Really love the VdGG one, though.

I used to be obsessed with "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers", and Pawn Hearts generally, despite being really into Rush many years ago, I had not listened to "2112" in many, many years until now since I don't like to vote unless both songs are fresh in my mind, unless like with "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers" it's been absorbed to the point that I don't need to listen again.  I'm still voting for the VdGG, which is from my preferred band, but I got to say, listening to 2112 just really got me back into Rush.  I didn't think so much of Rush's 2112 when I was a teenager and was really into Rush, but I have to say that my opinion has changed. 

^^^That's what happened to me!

Rush, VDGG and Genesis are my favorite bands, but Rush is only my favorite because they got me into music. I still enjoy their music a lot, but not as much as the prog they got me into.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2012 at 10:06
2112 (as long as I can have the Different Stages versionTongue)
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 03:39
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

While not even close to my favorite Rush songs, I'll take almost anything over Pawn Hearts.

I agree completely.

But as everyone in my local prog group says, this site is full of VDGG fanboys, so they'll win.

this place is at least equally full of Rush fanboys

Well I would argue that Rush have a vastly bigger fanbase than VDGG (who were an extremely minor prog band in the 70s), so that's not a surprise.

I am (I think) the last survivor on progarchives from my local group (100++ members) and several have commented that they got sick of the fanboys of certain bands - mainly VDGG, King Crimson amd Dream Theater. Certainly, when we meet, none of those bands feature anything like as hugely as they do on here and they rarely if ever ever win polls for best anything.

And it's not an age thing - as well as those like me (60+ proggers from the late 60s/70s), there are plenty of university students as well.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 04:17
Not even a contest. Plague easily for me. Not that there's anything wrong with 2112. It's just that Rush were not in their mature phase when they recorded 2112. Their best came later with albums starting with Hemispheres and continuing through Moving Pictures and Signals.
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 12:08
2112 is a snoozefest. A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers is one of the best songs ever.
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 12:11

While not even close to my favorite Rush songs, I'll take almost anything over Pawn Hearts.

I agree completely.

But as everyone in my local prog group says, this site is full of VDGG fanboys, so they'll win.

Well I would argue that Rush have a vastly bigger fanbase than VDGG (who were an extremely minor prog band in the 70s), so that's not a surprise.

I am (I think) the last survivor on progarchives from my local group (100++ members) and several have commented that they got sick of the fanboys of certain bands - mainly VDGG, King Crimson amd Dream Theater. Certainly, when we meet, none of those bands feature anything like as hugely as they do on here and they rarely if ever ever win polls for best anything.

And it's not an age thing - as well as those like me (60+ proggers from the late 60s/70s), there are plenty of university students as well.
Every big prog band has fanboys here really. It's just haters notice the fanboys of what they don't like more. Like I tend to notice the Rush fanboys most since I think they're the most boring band in all of prog. But complaining because people like a band is just plain silly. Confused A song wins because more people like it than the other song. If you want to just blame it on fanboys, that makes no sense because they're like that because they like the band. Complaining about people liking a band is pretty silly.

Edited by DisgruntledPorcupine - May 01 2012 at 12:13
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 12:56

I agree completely.

Your 100++ like some bands, PA members like other bands.
Its music, can never ever find the "true" masters, its all a matter of taste.
Rush make music, much more easy to understand for most people, got a bigger fanbase, Yes.
But do they make better music, not in my ears.  

In general, a huge fanbase, lean towards: simple mainstream music. 
Not allways bad, mainstream can be great, but not pressing the borders either. 

Edited by tamijo - May 01 2012 at 13:00
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 13:00
Originally posted by DisgruntledPorcupine DisgruntledPorcupine wrote:

I agree completely.

Every big prog band has fanboys here really. It's just haters notice the fanboys of what they don't like more. Like I tend to notice the Rush fanboys most since I think they're the most boring band in all of prog. But complaining because people like a band is just plain silly. Confused A song wins because more people like it than the other song. If you want to just blame it on fanboys, that makes no sense because they're like that because they like the band. Complaining about people liking a band is pretty silly.

Agreed, and there's nothing wrong with being passionate about one's favourites.  What one finds good is a matter of taste, and as long as people aren't disrespectful of others tastes or excessively negative, and don't try to claim that they know better what is good and bad, nor try to dominate every topic by talking about their favourite bands, and what they dislike, then I see no problem.

How were these so-called fanboys ruining these acquaintances of yours PA experience when it came to discussion about music? I've always found that there was space here for a wide-range of discussion about different groups.  What rather taints my experience is that a lot of the non-Prog  music I love doesn't seem to be appreciated by many here, but I don't blame the Proggers for it.  Nor does it bother me that the prog-umbrella music I like best is hardly the most popular here. If someone, or worse, a group of people, seems to go out of his way to express his distaste for, for example, King Crimson and VdGGin various topics, and makes various disparaging comments towards music that he doesn't appreciate, calls it bad etc, (and sometimesthe people are really not familiar enough with the the band or musical idiom to constructively comment on it), well that's the kind of attitude that can drive people away.  There's nothing wrong with one person preferring Camel to King Crimson or vice versa, as long as people don't act like what they like is better.  Of course some do and many of us do sometimes, but I think the majority of PAers are more mature than that most of the time.  Maybe thing were different before?

I have heard that there was a time when this site was swamped with DT fans, which can be a pain for having discussion about other music since other topics drop off the page quickly, and they might might be talking DT in topics about non-DT type music, but I wasn't really around then so don't know how it actually was (hearsay).  Nor with other bands if there has been similar fanboyish behavior where the fans of certian bands try to dominate the board with discussion about their favourite band.

I appreciate the passion of people who want to share their passion for certaian bands/albums, but it can go overboard, and can be difficult when there are many of the same musical clique doing the same (say, as I have seen happen, when people come en masse to PA from a band website to push their agenda).
Just a fanboy passin' through.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 13:01
I haven't cared about Rush since I was a teenager, but I've never cared for VdGG at all. Therefore, "2112". 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 13:06
I think the point Hercules was making is that there seems to him to be an unnaturally high amount of VDGG fans here considering their popularity in the seventies. He feels they are over representeted  when compared to the national average. As evidenced by his own Prog group I suppose.

In think it's kind of nice that they have found more fame at last.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 14:08
I got his point, but was following on a tangent (something that Herc has mentioned a number of times).  Incidentally, i'm knot that knowledgeable about the popularity of bands historically, but I do know that VdGG was pretty popular in Italy, and made their charts, and Pawn Hearts sold very well there.  I wouldn't expect the music of VdGG to have the same level of mainstream success as Rush -- Rush is popular outside Prog/ underground music circles, whereas VdGG is more esoteric.  I wonder how popular Rush was during Prog's 70s heyday around the world compared to VdGG?  Rush has beena staple of classic rock radio for as long as I can remember, and I didn't even know VdGG, or Gentle Giant and many others, until I really started exploring Prog about ten years ago, but I'd been into Rush since I was 12 (I'm in Canada and Rush has been super big here for a very long time).

I dodn't readily equate knownness with how good something is though (most of the progressive rock universe music I love is more obscure than VdGG), not how good it will be for me.  I've known Rush much longer but I like VdGG much more.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 14:17
VDGG weren't very big in the UK in the seventies. But no one was compared to Yes, Genesis and ELP. Italy has always been more receptive to alternative - to - pop music as far as I can tell. Rush were pretty big I remember. They were certainly doing big concerts.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 18:26
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I think the point Hercules was making is that there seems to him to be an unnaturally high amount of VDGG fans here considering their popularity in the seventies. He feels they are over representeted  when compared to the national average. As evidenced by his own Prog group I suppose.

Completely correct.

The thing about my local group is that we are mostly British. The fact that progarchives has a more international base may account for the very different tastes. VDGG were never a major band in the 70s in the UK but they did have some success in Europe (mainly Italy, I think). I suspect many on here are also new converts to prog and my experience is that they tend to favour the more experimental side (eg Mars Volta, Zappa, King Crimson, SGM) with an almost messianistic zeal.

Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 18:31
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Rush is popular outside Prog/ underground music circles,

I saw Rush live in 1977 and they were not considered a prog band AT ALL then; they were a hard rock band (bordering on metal) and their genius was to carry their hard rock fanbase with them when they went prog as well as picking up disgruntled prog fans whose favourite bands had gone mainstream.
MoodyRush View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 23:58
Both are very good, but 2112 has more memories for me, 2112 being the album that got me crazy into Rush and thus leading me into the rabbit hole that is prog. Plague is very good as well, but doesn't transition well at parts. The circus-esque part is annoying to me.
Follow me down to the valley below.
Moonlight is bleeding from out of your soul.
-Lazarus
bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 04:45

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Completely correct.

The thing about my local group is that we are mostly British. The fact that progarchives has a more international base may account for the very different tastes. VDGG were never a major band in the 70s in the UK but they did have some success in Europe (mainly Italy, I think). I suspect many on here are also new converts to prog and my experience is that they tend to favour the more experimental side (eg Mars Volta, Zappa, King Crimson, SGM) with an almost messianistic zeal.

VdGG were a 'cult' band in Britain, but they were certainly not "extremely minor" as you say. They definitely weren't "major" but they played to audiences of about 1,200 - 1,500  in the UK. That's at least moderately successful. And they were on the cover of Melody Maker in May '71 as "Britain's Most Fashionable Band." Just being on the cover of MM alone would imply some sort of success level, but being called Britain's Most Fashionable Band was definitely a feather in their cap. But it's true that they could just never get over the hump, and they never had anything close to a 'hit' although many Brits knew "Theme One" because John Peel used it to open and close his show. You and your friends might have hated VdGG and so they were avoided by you and not on your radar, but they still were on the radar of many 'heads'. And as you correctly state, VdGG were very popular on the continent in countries like Belgium, France, Italy, etc.

I think your intense dislike of them (which you've expressed before on this forum) gets your nose out of joint whenever they do well in a poll. I've seen other VdGG-detractors/haters express this same thing, and even do an almost mocking sort of thing where it's said that this is the only place that VdGG can do well because they have no other fans other than on ProgArchives, which is a joke. Many VdGG admirers aren't into any other prog bands and certainly wouldn't be hanging out on a prog internet forum! I've seen VdGG several times in the UK, since they reformed, in auditoriums/theaters with crowds ranging from 1,200 - 3,000 and of all the VdGG heads I've met, only a minor fraction even knew what ProgArchives or Progressiveears was. Hammill and VdGG are considered the 'hipper' end of prog and get glowing articles in Mojo, Uncut, The Wire, etc... that just ain't going to happen for Gentle Giant, Camel, etc. A lot of their 'hipness' comes from the fact that they were an inspiration to many punk rockers (another fact that drives fans of more conventional prog bonkers), but the fact is that VdGG is far more respected by the hipper-than-thou British music critics than almost any other prog band. Like it or not, that's a major feather in the cap and has helped them to sell a lot of albums (or CD's, I should say!).

Edited by bucka001 - May 04 2012 at 04:49
jc
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>