Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2112 vs. A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Which of these prog epics do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
37 [45.12%]
45 [54.88%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2112 vs. A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers
    Posted: August 28 2012 at 04:35
2112 is actually my favorite Rush song! That's really what started me on prog, but Lighthouse is my favorite Graaf song! In fact, I just discovered it months ago when I was really getting into Graaf. So for the moment, Lighthouse gets my vote. but they're both essential masterpieces in somewhat of the same fashion.

Spacey vs. Futurey (?) Spacey wins. VdGG wins.
      Check out my FREE album: A one-man project   The Distant Dynasty

https://distantdynasty.bandcamp.com/
The Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2012 at 00:39
I have the feeling that here in this site if you make a poll, and on one side are Genesis or king Crimson or VDGG, the other side is a lost case! LOL
That's not bad of course. About the poll, I will vote for 2112 because I love this song more that 20 years now. (And to be honest, from VDGG I like/love other songs more)... Hmmm I just an idea for a really interesting poll!
I will post it right away! Wink
If anybody wants please visit: http://www.gfreedomathina.blogspot.com/

This is my Blog mostly about Rock music, but also a few other things as well.

You are most welcome!

Thank you. :)
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 22:48
Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

Lighthouse Keepers over 2112
2112 (album) over Pawn Hearts

2112 over Lighthouse Keepers
Pawn Hearts over 2112 (album)
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 00:04
I prophesy disaster and then I count the cost...
Mista-Gordie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 00:59
VDGG
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2012 at 07:29
Van Damme Generator for me. 
2112 is brilliant just before you go out on the town though.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2012 at 07:26
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by bucka001 bucka001 wrote:

Ian, just curious. Did you ever see VdGG back in the day?

Short answer..no. I was aware of VDGG back then and saw them play on TV but never actually got around to buying any albums back then.

Damn, just seeing them on TV back then is cool enough for me! Wink I have a lot of old VdGG/PH TV appearances in my personal collection, but every once in a while I'll come across someone who actually saw them on television in the 70's. Don't know why, but that's just cool to me (probably because of the group's lack of presence in the States, where I'm from; just makes the whole "VdGG in the 70's" thing even more mythical... ). Thanks for sharing.
jc
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2012 at 21:42
Plague
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2012 at 21:06
Originally posted by Fox On The Rocks Fox On The Rocks wrote:

Stern Smile Really?

I think side two of 2112 a little better thank side one of Pan Hearts. Plus, Rush gets extra points because they're the greatest band ever.
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2012 at 16:00

Stern Smile Really?
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2012 at 13:41
Lighthouse Keepers over 2112
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2012 at 05:48

LOL

1) http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/transcripts/20060426ugo.htm

UGO: In the 1970s, there were lots of amazing progressive rock bands that played very technically complex music. Was that what you were born from?

GEDDY: As our tastes got more obscure, we discovered more progressive rock based, bands like Yes, Van Der Graaf Generator and King Crimson, and we were very inspired by those bands. They made us want to make our music more interesting and more complex and we tried to blend that with our own personalities to see what we could come up with that was indisputably us. That took a while, but I think 2112 was the first record where we accomplished that and created a sound for ourselves.

N: Geddy, what to you is real prog rock? You know, ELP, Yes, Amon Duul, Can, Gentle Giant? What to you is real prog rock?

G: Well, prog rock, I'm afraid, is a dying or an outdated form of music. Nobody's really carrying the tradition on, but in its day, Van der Graaf Generator and, at times, Genesis and, you know, Yes - those bands were interesting to me.

3) "Contents Under Pressure: 30 Years of Rush at Home and Away" p.25
"We were influenced by bands like Yes, Genesis, Van der Graaf Generator, Gentle Giant, and ELP. They were progressive bands in every sense of the word, and as musicians we were influenced by that kind of playing and structure."

So, Snowdog... why the LOL ?

None of this proves that 2112 was inspired by Plague in particular. he  seems to have been inspired by other bands too. Highlighting VDGG does not make me miss that. So I disagree basically but maybe your statement is not so laughable.

Fair enough. I would just say that Geddy specifically stated that 2112 was inspired by VdGG and a few other prog bands. Plague is the classic sidelong VdGG epic. 2112 is a sidelong epic. So I originally stated that Plague might (i.e. just a possibility) have been an influence, as far as scope and ambition. Don't think one could disagree that it might have been an influence.

No I couldn't disagree with that.

Ian, just curious. Did you ever see VdGG back in the day? I started a thread ages ago (which I just bumped up) asking if anybody saw the group back in the 70's. I've seen the band a hundred times since the '05 reunion (and will fly out to NYC from my home of Chicago at the end of the month to see and hang out with them again), but the 70's VdGG era is almost mythical to someone who wasn't there. It looks like you would have been 15 or 16 in '75/'76. Maybe that was still too young for kids to see concerts, but did you ever see them in the 70s? If so, how was it?

Short answer..no. I was aware of VDGG back then and saw them play on TV but never actually got around to buying any albums back then. Money was in short supply and I chose other bands. Also by some curious  chance none of my friends had any albums. I did play with the idea of purchasing something but time passed and I forgot them eventually. 
        I finally bought H to He back in the late nineties or early two thousands in HMV. I didn't like it. But I have heard a lot since then and they are definitely growing on me. 
bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2012 at 05:41

LOL

UGO: In the 1970s, there were lots of amazing progressive rock bands that played very technically complex music. Was that what you were born from?

GEDDY: As our tastes got more obscure, we discovered more progressive rock based, bands like Yes, Van Der Graaf Generator and King Crimson, and we were very inspired by those bands. They made us want to make our music more interesting and more complex and we tried to blend that with our own personalities to see what we could come up with that was indisputably us. That took a while, but I think 2112 was the first record where we accomplished that and created a sound for ourselves.

N: Geddy, what to you is real prog rock? You know, ELP, Yes, Amon Duul, Can, Gentle Giant? What to you is real prog rock?

G: Well, prog rock, I'm afraid, is a dying or an outdated form of music. Nobody's really carrying the tradition on, but in its day, Van der Graaf Generator and, at times, Genesis and, you know, Yes - those bands were interesting to me.

"We were influenced by bands like Yes, Genesis, Van der Graaf Generator, Gentle Giant, and ELP. They were progressive bands in every sense of the word, and as musicians we were influenced by that kind of playing and structure."

None of this proves that 2112 was inspired by Plague in particular. he  seems to have been inspired by other bands too. Highlighting VDGG does not make me miss that. So I disagree basically but maybe your statement is not so laughable.

Fair enough. I would just say that Geddy specifically stated that 2112 was inspired by VdGG and a few other prog bands. Plague is the classic sidelong VdGG epic. 2112 is a sidelong epic. So I originally stated that Plague might (i.e. just a possibility) have been an influence, as far as scope and ambition. Don't think one could disagree that it might have been an influence.

Ian, just curious. Did you ever see VdGG back in the day? I started a thread ages ago (which I just bumped up) asking if anybody saw the group back in the 70's. I've seen the band a hundred times since the '05 reunion (and will fly out to NYC from my home of Chicago at the end of the month to see and hang out with them again), but the 70's VdGG era is almost mythical to someone who wasn't there. It looks like you would have been 15 or 16 in '75/'76. Maybe that was still too young for kids to see concerts, but did you ever see them in the 70s? If so, how was it?
jc
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2012 at 05:31

LOL

bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2012 at 04:52

LOL

Edited by bucka001 - June 02 2012 at 05:05
jc
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2012 at 04:46

LOL

Edited by Snow Dog - June 02 2012 at 04:49
bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2012 at 04:37
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

LOL

Victory.

Like i've said before - Rush > VDGG for me, but Plauge is MUCH more fresh to me. So i choose it.

I'm the opposite. VdGG is my fave band, but I've heard Plague so many times (and each time is still an adventure) that 2112 would be fresh and 'newer' to me.

As for 'Victory', I think Snowdog just wasn't aware that Rush was influenced by VdGG (a fact that Geddy has stated on several occasions), but there still was no reason to post a LOL, which was sort of an ignorant, especially in this case, thing to do. But c'est la vie.

jc
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 06:48

LOL

Victory.

Like i've said before - Rush > VDGG for me, but Plauge is MUCH more fresh to me. So i choose it.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 06:17
I'm equally indifferent to both tracks to be honest.

Overall I prefer Rush to VDGG, but VDGG have made some masterful music. Plague, however, just leaves me cold.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 04:22
Actually heard 2112 recently and liked it more than I thought I would!
jc
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>