2 [14.29%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 00:26
Of course, it's 2004 all over again.
No one liked John Kerry, but he was the "best guy to beat Wubya"
He didn't say anything...he was just there to be the guy to vote against Bush.
When you don't really have anything to say or any beliefs and are just there to beat the President, you have issues.

I'd also say bad as it is, Obama is not as unpopular as Bush was then.
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 00:29
They might be jumping the gun but some commentators are already suggesting Romney's campaign could go down in the history books as a textbook case of how *not* to do it.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 00:39
ehhh the GOP is just in a bad way.
We shall see, but I don't know if his campaign will be "bad" it just, he sucks. LOL

Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 04:04
In some ways he's a worse candidate than Bush. Bush may have been dumb (Romney isn't) but at least he held his image together as a good old Texas Christian, he appealed to the base. Romney can't even manage that. A large number of Republicans think he's a dillhole.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 04:14
Indeed, it may be because he's a dillhole!
What needs to be done is combine Santorum and Romney, like sew them together into some kind of horrible monster.
Placate the base, but have some sanity in there.

Also because we need Rick and his dope sweater vests in there.

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 07:52
Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

As much as Slarti wants to pretend there's a difference between them, there isn't.  Obama has just been a continuation of W and Romney would be more of the same.

As much as you want to pretend there isn't there is.  One advocates policies that would turn back the clock to where even contraceptives would be outlawed.  One advocates for economic policies that aren't about enriching the already wealthy at the expense of those of us who are struggling to make a living...

What really amuses me that is that the party that has set out to make Obama's presidency a failure from day one automatically takes knee jerk opposition to any thing this administration does even when it's things they previously supported.  The Republicans have been very and consistently guilty of putting party ahead of country.  They hate it whenever good economic news comes out.  They don't want Obama to make a point of how he actually was instrumental at directing the take down of Osama when Bush said he wasn't interested in doing it and Romney was going around before it happened saying that we shouldn't be spending all this money going after one man.

I hear a lot of people practicing willful ignorance and historical amnesia.  If Romney wins it will be because we truly are the United States of Amnesia.

Edited by Slartibartfast - May 04 2012 at 19:48
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 08:23

Obama is going to win for the same reason Clinton won in 1996 and Bush in 2004. Opposing party couldn't put up a good candidate against a sitting duck.

I'll vote Obama because my issue is health care reform. He's not what I hoped, but Romney has become a joke.

I think McCain should have been our president in 2000. With Lieberman as vice. Two moderates for their parties (at least at that point).

You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 08:36

ALL I KNOW IS THAT ALL OF THEM WANT BIGGER GOVERNMENT.

There are few convservatives anymore... only NEO-conservatives.

Everyone wants to control everything.

Destroy politics. Destroy the 2 party system.

Hate them all. Hope this country can hold it together.

PS- your vote on this website probably means more than your vote in the election. And yes I drank my Haterade this morning.

Edited by Smurph - May 04 2012 at 08:51
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 08:38
Oh yea, and no matter what, whoever gets elected is going to get attacked by the other side and everyone will make sure that NOTHING gets accomplished and that they all pander to special interests of donors and pander to their local demographics to make sure they get elected again because THIS IS THE HIGHEST PAYING EASIEST JOB WITH MORE PERKS THAN YOU CAN COUNT.

We should make congress a more difficult job that pays less. Maybe the only people that actually give 2 monkey dumps about this country will end up running.

Btw, I hate everything.

Let's say you spend a super long time trying to build a really great Lego city. This city you enter in a competition. Your opponent STOMPS on your lego city and says "WHY AREN'T YOU DOING A BETTER JOB BUILDING YOUR CITY."
Instead of working on your own city more and pushing your opponent off the lego city you just start stomping on his and yelling "WELL YOUR CITY ISN'T MUCH BETTER NOW." Meanwhile, every city in the compeition gets screwed up and the judges won't accept anyone so they just hand the victory to whomever's dad bribed them the most.

Edited by Smurph - May 04 2012 at 08:42
RoyFairbank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 17:27
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

^You're as much narrow minded as you think you are open minded Roy...

I was just teasin'

Maybe I went too far (again) [in the real world I really did go too far on the same day (go figure).... Confused, luckily the other shoe hasn't dropped on my head yet]

I'll vandalize my comment into its opposite

-------

It seems we all have different opinions about how the two parties are both the same.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 18:39
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 18:39
Smurph they all do want bigger government, but remember parties are not just bullsh*t but so are terms.
You say there's no true conservatives left, but how far back do you wanna go?

Conservatives were originally "the power". The kings and aristocracy.
Liberals were the ones that argued for limited government.
A lot of these "far right" nutjobs often claim they are "classic liberals"

It seems today that the terms mean as little as the parties. It's why I like "libertarian" neither liberal or conservative :D
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 18:45
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

LOL

A bit skewed though...I do think one problem with liberals (erm Democrats) is they get sooo focused on bashing the wealthy (which I'm not opposed to at all) they tend to view EVERYTHING as us vs them, 1% vs 99% haves and haves not.

I mean, it's not "you sit back and enjoy inherited millions" or "flip burgers"
Both my parents are first gen Americans, their parents had little to no education, worked crap jobs, had no savings.
In the 30ish years they've been working they made quite a good climb up the ladder, mainly through hard work.
Maybe that's why things have failed so much, that general attitude has been lostCry

I know (hope) that poster is a joke, but by thinking like that all the time it will warp your outlook. I fear you may actually think this way and not wanting what's right and fair, which is what liberalism should be aboutErmm

Edited by JJLehto - May 04 2012 at 18:46
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 18:54

As much as Slarti wants to pretend there's a difference between them, there isn't.  Obama has just been a continuation of W and Romney would be more of the same.

As much as you want to pretend there isn't there is.  One advocates policies that would turn back the clock to where even contraceptives would be outlawed.  Believe you're thinking of Santorum but I wouldn't put it past the Mittster to say that in a room full of religious-righters.  One advocates for economic policies that aren't about enriching the already wealthy at the expense of those of us who are struggling to make a living...
Seriously?  What do you call a bailout?  Obama has done nothing but hand tax dollars to his buddies.

What really amuses me that is that the party that has set out to make Obama's presidency a failure from day one automatically takes knee jerk opposition to any thing this administration does even when it's things they previously supported.  Yes, the republicans really did him in back when Obama had a supermajority in congress.  You'll have to blame your fellow dems for anything that didn't get done in the frist 2 years.  The automatic opposition is built into the deception, by the way.  Follow actions, not words.  The Republicans have been very and consistently guilty of putting party ahead of country.  A statement that can just as accurately be made about the Democrats.  They hate it whenever good economic news comes out.  I personally hate it when data is manipulated and put out as good economic news, by either party.  Both parties believe in keynesian economics and corporatism and neither of which will lead to anything but boom and bust cycles.  If either party wanted to get out of the way of the economy maybe you'd have a case, but neither does.  They don't want Obama to make a point of how he actually was instrumental at directing the take down of Obama when Bush said he wasn't interested in doing it and Romney was going around before it happened saying that we shouldn't be spending all this money going after one man. Obama has taken down Obama LOL but not enough for Romney to win.  But yes, Obama has been just as bloodthirsty as Bush (maybe moreso).  More overseas wars, more aggressive drug war, more gitmo, and now assassinating the unarmed or, in the case of Al Alawi's son and nephew, the innoccent.   Add to all that declaring the world a warzone and, through executive order, claiming the power to seize land, reasources, and even citizens in wartime or peacetime and you are left with Bush on steroids.  It seems like your opposition is what's inconsistent because I doubt you'd be glossing this stuff over for a republican.

I hear a lot of people practicing willful ignorance and historical amnesia.  Seems like this describes damn near every political post you've ever made here.  If Romney wins it will be because we truly are the United States of Amnesia.  He won't and even if does nothing will change, you'll just go back to bitching about policies you hated from Bush and accepted from Obama.

Time always wins.
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 19:08

But I keep hearing about how 0bama's going to turn America into the most brutal Communist dictatorship the world has ever seen, plus he's going to confiscate all of our guns, convert us all to Islam AND Atheism, make abortion and gay marriage mandatory, and imprison all dissidents in FEMA camps.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 19:31

RoyFairbank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 19:32

• We are not against an insane system, just its insanities.

Edited by RoyFairbank - May 04 2012 at 19:33
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 19:46

Ah the problem is most people would agree, your means are wrong though...because they have failed.
The more government interferes the more people can petition the government to benefit themselves.
I agree, big business and the wealthy are more powerful than us...so why would you want to give them the ability to influence themselves even more???

Or do you want more government as long as it's better government?
I used to bark up that tree. It just will not happen.

Sweden will not and cannot happen here. I mean it's just a cold reality.

Edited by JJLehto - May 04 2012 at 19:50
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 19:48
Originally posted by zappaholic zappaholic wrote:

But I keep hearing about how 0bama's going to turn America into the most brutal Communist dictatorship the world has ever seen, plus he's going to confiscate all of our guns, convert us all to Islam AND Atheism, make abortion and gay marriage mandatory, and imprison all dissidents in FEMA camps.

Yeah, he is.
...what isn't that he ran on? Confused

Don't tell me I didn't vote for a commie terrorist in 2008Cry

Edited by JJLehto - May 04 2012 at 19:49
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 19:58
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Ah the problem is most people would agree, your means are wrong though...because they have failed.
The more government interferes the more people can petition the government to benefit themselves.
I agree, big business and the wealthy are more powerful than us...so why would you want to give them the ability to influence themselves even more???

Or do you want more government as long as it's better government?
I used to bark up that tree. It just will not happen.

Sweden will not and cannot happen here. I mean it's just a cold reality.

I want better government and don't give a rat's ass what "size" it is.  What do you think happens when you cut government jobs?  You get unemployed people.  This results in a multiplier bad effect in the economy.  People without jobs can't afford to buy as many things.  People don't buy enough things and then the people who make things lose jobs...

And you're really going to have to clarify what means of mine that are wrong and have failed that you are referring to.  The next two statements make no sense either.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>