Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich Islay malt do you prefer?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which original single malt whisky made on Islay do you like the most?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [12.50%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [25.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [25.00%]
3 [37.50%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 12:10

I have only ever tried one of those that I remember, although I once spent a long evening in a bar in Edinburgh that had over 100 different whiskies as far as I remember.  The thing is I prefer a good blended Whisky I just don't like them too smoky/ peaty. 

I can't imagine there are more than three people on this site that have tried all these?  Infact I'm willing to bet.
Help me I'm falling!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 06:09
Well I'm simply not an Islay malt or western Islands (in general since there are more than the Islay that produce single malts) single malt drinker, since they way too smokey or peaty for me (there is a difference between these two particularities... In the first case (somkey) you feellike you're drinking out of an uncleaned ashtray, where a few giggie butts have marinated for a few months... In the second case (peaty), you feel like you're drinking from an old uncleaned medieval glass that you've just unearthed.... Xhoosing between the anvil and ther hammer, I prefer the peat expression

Originally posted by OT Räihälä OT Räihälä wrote:

Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

But beer is not so smokey than Islay malt. LOL

Anyway, recent Islay malt has got more and more alcohol-smelled rather than older one.
I love official Port Ellen.

The problem is, Port Ellen's distillery has been closed since 1984, and there are not enough bottlings left to be available for others than those with several thick wallets. I included in the voting only those malts that are bottled nowadays, or that there is good supply of (Port Askaig).

The actual correct way to say this , is that the distillery has been "silent" since 1984, because before it was "expressing" itself.

This may sound a bit snobby, but then again single malts and prog are relatively snobbyLOL

Originally posted by ColonelClaypool ColonelClaypool wrote:

Originally posted by RoyFairbank RoyFairbank wrote:

The hell is Ishlay malt?

Islay is an island in the Inner Hebrides of Scotland that has a grand total of eight active whisky destilleries. An Islay malt, therefore is a single malt whisky from one of the destilleries on the isle of Islay. If you are unsure of what constitutes a single malt, read this:

Yeah, but it's not dissing the Islay to be included in with the rest of the west coast malts (including Jura, Skye, Mull,  Aaran abd the Campbeltown peninsula), which in comparison to the east coast (North Sea), are all very peaty and smokey (a few exceptionlike Oban, a mainland but west coast malt)

------------------------

For what it's worth, if push must come to shove, I'll choose the "weaker personality" expressions in this area of Scotland, like Bruichladdich, Jura (of the island of Jura) or Bunnahabhain... or even Oban

And if pushed further, I'll choose the Lagavullin or Caol or Bowmore peaty end-flavours instead  of or rather than the Ardberg or Laphroiag smoky stench

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 06:18
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

i like the taste of a good ol'Oak

Yeah, but after a few years of straight oak maturing, one gets tired of the vanilla flavour, that's so typical of the oak barrels...
I'm really in with those doublewood finish, like porto or sherry cask finishes... it really adds character , IMHO.

Purists might balk at these out-of-character barrels, but using second-hand barrels was always the case in often-broke (financially) Scottland... Remember that if you buy a new oak barrel, you won't be able to re-use for 10 years minimum, during which your investment is totally blocked... Wine makers don't have that problem since the wine sit two or three years at the max (most never touch a barrel anymore), and the rest of the ageing maturing is done in bottles.

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
OT Räihälä View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 06:32
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Yeah, but after a few years of straight oak maturing, one gets tired of the vanilla flavour, that's so typical of the oak barrels...
I'm really in with those doublewood finish, like porto or sherry cask finishes... it really adds character , IMHO. 

It's amazing how quickly an old barrel can effect whisky. In 2006, Jim McEwan at Bruichladdich made some experiments and gave a barrel of 1970 Bruichladdich 25 weeks of maturing in a Pinot Gris barrel. I happened to be around to make an article of single malts for a Finnish food&wine magazine, and he let me taste both the original and the one from the PG barrel. The difference was incredible! OTOH, even the original was probably one of the finest whiskies I've ever tasted.

BTW, Ardbeg and smokiness: I don't find the basic 10 years old as especially smoky. It's rather very, very peaty, but with less smoke.

Have anyone of you tasted Ardbeg's Corryvreckan? (I haven't - yet)

Edited by OT Räihälä - May 05 2012 at 14:51
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2012 at 05:37

I bought me a 4cl mini-bottle of Ardberg for tasting purposes with buddies learning the Scotch thing

It's been decades since I actually tasted it, but I hated it so much, that I never forgot the ashtray taste and smell (I wouldn't call it "nose", but will politely avoid the "stench" word as well)...

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2012 at 06:39

I bought me a 4cl mini-bottle of Ardberg for tasting purposes with buddies learning the Scotch thing

It's been decades since I actually tasted it, but I hated it so much, that I never forgot the ashtray taste and smell (I wouldn't call it "nose", but will politely avoid the "stench" word as well)...

Goodness, your tongue is soft. If Ardbeg tastes ashtray to you, how can you drink anything else but smoothies? Ouch
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2012 at 09:23

Goodness, your tongue is soft. If Ardbeg tastes ashtray to you, how can you drink anything else but smoothies? Ouch

When you look at the taste map, it's kind of difficult to be more extreme than Ardberg, really!!!
Smoky, Medicinal, rotten or fermenting fruits... definitely not my stuffDead

But I did decide to splurge €4.00 for my initiating class of SM snobbery rookie, just to get the full panel of possibilities.  if they (rookies) actually like it , good for them, though.

---------------------

Notice that all shades of blue represent Island Malts (which includes the Scapa and Highland Park, both from the Orkneys, but that first one is more at the opposite of the table), and that they all occupy the upper third of the table, which tends to show that they are not that well-balanced, but for their defence, this is by design, not by flaw

All Purple are Speyside, the Greens are Lowland malts and all Brown-Orange-Beige are Highland malts

Edited by Sean Trane - May 15 2012 at 09:51
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2012 at 09:32
So my Jura would be pretty nice for you?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2012 at 09:47
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

That one and Bruichladdich and Bunnahabain are definitely more up my alley, yes.
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2012 at 04:52
That's a very good graphic, Sean. I hadn't bumped into it before. However, the taste/nose might be a bit more individual thing. I don't think it's possible to spot your favourite without tasting (I'm not saying the graphic would claim that to be the case).

For example, I find Ardbeg not that light, but much, much peatier than the graphic; definitely less smoky than Laphroaig 10. And to me, Lagavulin 16 isn't that smoky, but very peaty. Also, Taliskers should be higher up, very close to the top border.

Words aren't after all very precise expressions when describing a malt. I just can't understand how anyone can find anything delicate in Glenfiddich...
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2012 at 04:55

That one and Bruichladdich and Bunnahabain are definitely more up my alley, yes.

Well pop around and lets's finish a bottle.Wink
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2012 at 07:30

That's a very good graphic, Sean. I hadn't bumped into it before. However, the taste/nose might be a bit more individual thing. I don't think it's possible to spot your favourite without tasting (I'm not saying the graphic would claim that to be the case).

For example, I find Ardbeg not that light, but much, much peatier than the graphic; definitely less smoky than Laphroaig 10. And to me, Lagavulin 16 isn't that smoky, but very peaty. Also, Taliskers should be higher up, very close to the top border.

Words aren't after all very precise expressions when describing a malt. I just can't understand how anyone can find anything delicate in Glenfiddich...

I'd agree that the worded descriptions are not really 100% reliable (every palate is different too) - I think the Rich-Light axis should be somewhat renamed, although I suspect that they're  talking about concentration of phenols in the malts, more than pure taste.

And neither is the actual map placement 100% accurate (ex: Dalmore - my utmost fave - is 10 km away from Glenmorangie and should not be in Beige, but in Orange colour), but it's certainly fairly trustworthy enough an  indication to my (and most) tastes.

Yes, I find Laphroaig more smoky than Ardberg (from memory at least - I'll know more when I open the sample next week or after), I also think Talisker  (only tried the 10Y)  should be at the top of the Y-axis, but centered (it is quite peaty compared to Ard and Laph) and Laguavullin is also tops on Y-axis, but indeed very peaty
After all, it's only fairly recent that I was able to distinguish clearly smoky from peaty

On the other hand, if not delicate Glenfiddich is one of the more "grassy" malt I've tasted, along with the Dalwhinnie, but the chart separates them

Well pop around and lets's finish a bottle.Wink

I may just take you up on that oiffer next time I "island-pop", but it certainly won't be before the olympics... But i am planing to do something in the mid-future (say before 2014) between Wales, Lake District, Loch Ness/Inverness area and Edimburg (where my parents lived from 85 to 90)

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2012 at 15:35
I voted Laphroaig, but I think that Islay malts are very much an acquired taste.  The first time I tasted Bowmore Legend I thought I'd made a mistake by drinking it and should have rubbed it on.  The phenolic, medicinal flavour is not for the faint hearted.

Edited by Green Shield Stamp - May 23 2012 at 15:36
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 14:51
Originally posted by Green Shield Stamp Green Shield Stamp wrote:

I voted Laphroaig, but I think that Islay malts are very much an acquired taste.  The first time I tasted Bowmore Legend I thought I'd made a mistake by drinking it and should have rubbed it on.  The phenolic, medicinal flavour is not for the faint hearted.

It's intriguing how different bottlings there may come from one single distillery, and Bowmore is perhaps topping the list of the wideness and variety. From Darkest's tar-like heavyness to Surf's light-heartedness, and when you put a dram of Mariner under your nostrils, you can almost hear the seagulls.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 18:11

Originally posted by Green Shield Stamp Green Shield Stamp wrote:

It's intriguing how different bottlings there may come from one single distillery, and Bowmore is perhaps topping the list of the wideness and variety. From Darkest's tar-like heavyness to Surf's light-heartedness, and when you put a dram of Mariner under your nostrils, you can almost hear the seagulls.

I read a review of Laphroiag (can't remember which bottling) that spoke of smoked salmonConfusedLOL

I guess the proverbial Scot stinginess took on  an unexpected twist, when one thought that he could cast two shots from one stone, and he used the same fire for his Salmon and the germination of the barley... But he probably put the fish below the cereal instead of the other wayLOL

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 08:19

Well Opened that Ardberg sample bottle with my two single malt tookie colleagues and we all agreed that one should stay away from that extreme upper left corner.... But Laphroiag is more somky than Ardberg for sure

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2014 at 15:12
Just to let you know: my new album Peat, Smoke & Seaweed Storm is out on sale now. Including Ardbeg - The Ultimate Piece for Orchestra.

stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2014 at 15:23
Not really a fan of Islays--I don't like saltiness and brine in my scotch--but I think I'd like Lagavulin and the "B" scotches more than I like Laphraoig and Ardbeg. 
Bald_Jean View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2014 at 15:28
I am more a fan of Campbeltown (if only for Springbanks, but there are many more), but when it comes to Islay i will vote for Bunnahabhain. it is a tough decision though;  Lagavulin and Laphroiag are strong contenders
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2014 at 17:05
Bunnahabhain is OK, but Lagavulin made me think that I was in heaven.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>