Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUnexpected prog reference.......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unexpected prog reference.......
    Posted: May 03 2012 at 11:54
Have you been sometime surprise by some prog reference in general medias, movies, sitcom...

colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 11:57
I was somewhat surprised at the prog reference in The Venture Bros.

I'm sure this has been posted approximately a million times before now.

Edited by colorofmoney91 - May 03 2012 at 11:59
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 12:49
That was glorious
DaveyByTheSea View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 13:57
I do vaguely remember a derisory mention of Marillion in one of the Alas Smith & Jones episodes of the mid 80's :(
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 14:21

Final ever episode of Cheers , Diane tries to explain what has been doing for the last few years to Sam and thinking on her feet explains she had been working for a law firm called ....Emerson ,Lake and Palmer .

There is a funny bit in American Pyscho where the main character tries to explain to some girl that Genesis masterpeice is Duke. He also waxes lyrical about Phil Collins as a solo artist.

smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 18:01
Mystery Science Theater 3000, one of the best and most halairous show in history makes several referances to Rush in many of thier episodes, and in the MST3K movie they talk about an alien planet that "looks like a Roger Dean painting... they must olisten to alot of Yes here"
KABSA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 18:10
1984 _ Television Commercial _ Uk 

Love Songs by Peter Hammill.

An Advert !!

Lasted [from memory] possibly for a couple of weeks at most.

That was an absolute surprise., not for the fact its a brilliantly accessible album by Peter, but the Out of the Blue factor.

anyway it obviously didnt earn branson a great deal of dosh, so he bought some aircraft instead.
Tall Tales of Topographic Inconsequence
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 18:55
Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

Mystery Science Theater 3000, one of the best and most halairous show in history makes several referances to Rush in many of thier episodes, and in the MST3K movie they talk about an alien planet that "looks like a Roger Dean painting... they must olisten to alot of Yes here"

I watched the Final Sacrifice episode of MST3K earlier today and they referenced Rush and Hawkwind.
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 19:12
I mentioned this in the other "unexpected prog" thread, but I was greatly amused to see one of the kids wearing a Neurosis Enemy Of the Sun t-shirt in an episode of Home Improvement.  (I expect the wardrobe people knew nothing about Neurosis and just picked it cos it looked cool.)

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 20:45
I've seen that Venture Bros. clip before and it's great!!

Conan O'Brian, I think, once warned a person by threatening them with the opening riff from Aqualung.  Online cartoonist Thomas K. Dye of Newshounds has mentioned Kansas and Trevor Rabin in his cartoons.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 09:10
Hi,

I still think that the greatest rip off is in the movies ... and that jerk Cameron not giving Roger Dean his due and appreciation in his movie.

I still refuse to see Avatar because of it -- although 20th century art history is a mess and it is difficult where "fantasy" starts and the rest arrives. It's hard to not think that all those artists that did so much psychedelic stuff in the 60's and later on went on to inspire another group of half sci-fi, half fantasy thing (Conans and the like for example) for which that artistic design is simply incredible and creative, as was Roger Dean and Storm Thurgeson, who went on to found Hipgnosis and put together many art designs and helped inspire many musicians. As an example, I'm not sure that Uriah Heep would have had an album called "Demons and Wizards" without such a cover ... and I doubt that "Tales From Topographic Oceans" would ahve been called that without the cover ... and the like.

This, btw, is one of the things that is missing the most in a lot of music today ... working with artists to help define/create a piece of music!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 09:15
^Roger Dean did the covers after the album name and music was done, so that's wrong for a start. I doubt DEan has inspired any music of the time at all.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 10:14
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I still think that the greatest rip off is in the movies ... and that jerk Cameron not giving Roger Dean his due and appreciation in his movie. I still refuse to see Avatar because of it -
There are many reasons not to see the film, personaly, that wouldn't be one of them.

Roger Dean was inspired by picture postcards he had of Indonesian Islands, islands such as Wayag and Raja Ampat look like they were copied from Close To The Edge

- although 20th century art history is a mess and it is difficult where "fantasy" starts and the rest arrives. It's hard to not think that all those artists that did so much psychedelic stuff in the 60's and later on went on to inspire another group of half sci-fi, half fantasy thing (Conans and the like for example) for which that artistic design is simply incredible and creative, as was Roger Dean and Storm Thurgeson, who went on to found Hipgnosis and put together many art designs and helped inspire many musicians. As an example, I'm not sure that Uriah Heep would have had an album called "Demons and Wizards" without such a cover ... and I doubt that "Tales From Topographic Oceans" would ahve been called that without the cover ... and the like.
According to Roger Dean books (Views and Magnetic Storms) he created most of the covers in isolation from the music and vice versa, he worked from the title given to him, not the other way around. The imagery on TFTO was suggested by the band members. There is nothing in the cover painting of "Demons and Wizards" to suggest either a demon or a wizard really (not many wizards have butterfly-like wings for example)  and the "Rainbow Demon" on the inner cover was created from the track title.

It's the same with Storm Thurgeson and Pink Floyd - music first, then the title, then the cover - from the "accoustic ripples" from the ear on Meddle to the heart-beat on Dark Side Of The Moon to the Cambridge cloisters, College scarves and talking head sculptures of The Division Bell.

I'm sure there some bands who 'inspired' their music from the album cover art, but not many, and there may be a few who titled their album after the cover art, (Tormato by Yes is the only one I can think of ... it was originally called Yes Tor Wink). Selling England By The Pound / I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe) is one track inspired by the art that's for sure - it was directly influenced by Betty Swanwick's painting, which was then used as the album cover, but the album title did not come from the painting.

This, btw, is one of the things that is missing the most in a lot of music today ... working with artists to help define/create a piece of music!
I disagree, (In as much as I can disagree with a conclusion to a premis I also disagree with), I think the relationship between many modern bands and their cover artists is no different to what it was in the 70s - Arjen Luccassen and Jef Bertels certainly work closely together to ensure the cover art matches the 'vision' of the music for Ayreon for example and with so many self-produced albums around now the link is probably even closer than it was in the 70s where a whole marketting department would take over once the band had finished recording. Again, reading Roger Dean's Views or Storm Thorgasen's books it's evident they didn't work closely with many of the bands they produced covers for at all.
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 10:28
Originally posted by DaveyByTheSea DaveyByTheSea wrote:

I do vaguely remember a derisory mention of Marillion in one of the Alas Smith & Jones episodes of the mid 80's :(
Doesn't Mel Smith make a referrence to Blodwyn Pig in one, (or maybe in Not The Nine O'clock News) - I think in one sketch he says he was once a roadie for "the Blods"
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 10:46
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by DaveyByTheSea DaveyByTheSea wrote:

Doesn't Mel Smith make a referrence to Blodwyn Pig in one, (or maybe in Not The Nine O'clock News) - I think in one sketch he says he was once a roadie for "the Blods"

In one of the two talking heads sketches.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 11:04

Hi,

I still think that the greatest rip off is in the movies ... and that jerk Cameron not giving Roger Dean his due and appreciation in his movie.

I still refuse to see Avatar because of it -- although 20th century art history is a mess and it is difficult where "fantasy" starts and the rest arrives. It's hard to not think that all those artists that did so much psychedelic stuff in the 60's and later on went on to inspire another group of half sci-fi, half fantasy thing (Conans and the like for example) for which that artistic design is simply incredible and creative, as was Roger Dean and Storm Thurgeson, who went on to found Hipgnosis and put together many art designs and helped inspire many musicians. As an example, I'm not sure that Uriah Heep would have had an album called "Demons and Wizards" without such a cover ... and I doubt that "Tales From Topographic Oceans" would ahve been called that without the cover ... and the like.

I wish they had hired Roger Dean to create the world on Avatar, and perhaps some Yes related soundtrack would have been great too.
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 16:14
Originally posted by colorofmoney91 colorofmoney91 wrote:

"But no air drumming this time.  Bruford can change the timing up so fast you could snap your wrist."  LOL

Edited by MillsLayne - May 04 2012 at 16:15
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 23:43
Originally posted by MillsLayne MillsLayne wrote:

[QUOTE=colorofmoney91] I was somewhat surprised at the prog reference in The Venture Bros...
"But no air drumming this time.  Bruford can change the timing up so fast you could snap your wrist."  LOL
Classic beyond words!
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 05:59
I was watching an old 1974 Australian sci fi TV show called "Alpha Scorpio" the other day and I was floored when the guys driving down the road in the pilot were listening to ELP on the cassette player! Very cool music to drive to.

Youtube actually has this episode loaded! The music is heard at the very beginning after the opening titles.

Here

Oh Yeah at 4:00 in there's more prog music while the dudes are surfing. 

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - May 06 2012 at 06:06
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 06:03
Originally posted by colorofmoney91 colorofmoney91 wrote:

That is gold!Star

"Oh no, you're not ready to step into the Court of the Crimson King yet!" LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>