Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUnexpected prog reference.......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 01:26
Originally posted by AreYouHuman AreYouHuman wrote:

On an episode of “St. Elsewhere” from around 1986, there's a scene where Dr. Turner (Alfre Woodard) is practicing her flute during a break. Dr. Chandler (Denzel Washington) comes in the room and mentions that he's always liked Jethro Tull.

At the time I thought it a little odd since both characters are black; not to stereotype anyone, but how many black Tull fans are there? I thought they would have been more likely to reference a jazz flautist like Bobbi Humphrey or Roland Kirk.

I loved that programme.Cool

btw at school in the seventies I knew an ELP fan who was black. But that was England.Wink
JellySucker View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2013 at 09:55
On one episode in Adventure Time, Ice King says "We can be a prog rock duo". literally the best quote i have ever heard
I print dank quality M E M E stickers ° ͜ʖ ͡ -
last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/jellypanini
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ProgRockTime

AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2014 at 23:28
Just saw a Beautyrest mattress ad that featured 10538 Overture by ELO.
Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2014 at 23:38
Burger King commercial plays DIO's 'EAT YOUR HEART OUT' while a fat woman eats a burger.
Not exactly Prog but kind of shameful.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2014 at 07:18
Originally posted by JellySucker JellySucker wrote:

On one episode in Adventure Time, Ice King says "We can be a prog rock duo". literally the best quote i have ever heard

AT also had a Zappa reference, in the episode "Bad Timing" (5:00-5:30):
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ew5yi_adventure-time-bad-timing_shortfilms

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 22:46

And here’s another Beautyrest commercial that uses Dreamer by Supertramp. Is a pattern emerging?

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 23:15
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Burger King commercial plays DIO's 'EAT YOUR HEART OUT' while a fat woman eats a burger.
This is rather distasteful, and the ad exec who produced this rancid idea should be tar & feathered.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2014 at 08:51

And here’s another Beautyrest commercial that uses Dreamer by Supertramp. Is a pattern emerging?

I hope they're not trying to push the notion that prog puts you to sleep.....

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2014 at 12:38
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Final ever episode of Cheers , Diane tries to explain what has been doing for the last few years to Sam and thinking on her feet explains she had been working for a law firm called ....Emerson ,Lake and Palmer .

There is a funny bit in American Pyscho where the main character tries to explain to some girl that Genesis masterpeice is Duke. He also waxes lyrical about Phil Collins as a solo artist.

Yes only it was Rebecca Howe(interesting last name)who mentions the law firm Emerson, Lake and Palmer saying they were a pretty famous group. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxlIYukmlVw

Also, in one of the episodes of Dharma and Greg(remember that show?)one of the guys mentions something about Genesis and says something about Peter Gabriel. The other person(possibly Greg)says "Peter Gabriel was in Genesis?"

Edited by Prog_Traveller - June 22 2014 at 12:40
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2014 at 13:22
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

This is rather distasteful, and the ad exec who produced this rancid idea should be tar & feathered.

Yes. Or hung upside down and force fed BK burger after BK burger. That would really work for me, and I know DIO would high-five me for that....well maybe low-five me. He is tiny.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2014 at 13:39

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Yes. Or hung upside down and force fed BK burger after BK burger. That would really work for me, and I know DIO would high-five me for that....well maybe low-five me. He is tiny.  
Since we've entered the realm of "not Prog", here's "not Dio"

(the voice-over is Tommy Vance though, and he should have known better)

. He is tiny.  
was. He no longer "is".

What?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2014 at 02:42
The last episode of Game Of Thrones mentioned a horrible poison called 'Manticore'. I replayed it a few times to make sure I hadn't misheardBig smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 20:04
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

Mystery Science Theater 3000, one of the best and most halairous show in history makes several referances to Rush in many of thier episodes, and in the MST3K movie they talk about an alien planet that "looks like a Roger Dean painting... they must olisten to alot of Yes here"
I watched the Final Sacrifice episode of MST3K earlier today and they referenced Rush and Hawkwind.
There were other episodes where they referenced Brian Eno and Kitaro, among others.
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Conan O'Brian, I think, once warned a person by threatening them with the opening riff from Aqualung. Online cartoonist Thomas K. Dye of Newshounds has mentioned Kansas and Trevor Rabin in his cartoons.
Conan O’Brien has not been very kind to prog over the years. On his NBC show, he would slam prog acts at every opportunity. On one, he makes a “joke” about Yes in which the “punchline” is basically that going to a Yes concert is not a worthwhile thing to do. On another, he referred to Kansas as a lame 80s band. I’ve always wished I could have been in the studio audience for that one; I would have yelled out a challenge to him to name even one of their songs. It would likely have gotten me thrown out of the studio, but it would have been worth it. On another, he’s going over the latest list of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees, and he goes on about how years from now, they’ll be scraping the bottom of the barrel, naming Supertramp and Styx as examples. Almost paradoxically, he would book some pretty decent musical acts…such as Joe Jackson, October Project, and King Crimson, for crying out loud. (They performed Dinosaur.) Thankfully, on his current show, he’s refrained from those kinds of personal attacks.

Something much more recent: today on NPR’s “All Things Considered” they ran a feature on the revival of Harvest Records with the launch of Morrissey’s new album. There was a brief history of their early days in a “corner” of the EMI offices, and song clips of Careful With That Axe Eugene by PF and other early signings like Pete Brown, Kevin Ayers and Ivor Cutler.

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 07:05

The last episode of Game Of Thrones mentioned a horrible poison called 'Manticore'. I replayed it a few times to make sure I hadn't misheardBig smile
A manticore is a creature that someone tries to kill Dany with, not a poison.

There is a character in the GoT books called Marillion, not sure if he's in the TV series or not.

Edited by chopper - August 01 2014 at 07:05
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 19:37

On tonight’s episode of “The Simpsons” Homer and Bart get into an argument over whether Genesis was better before or after Peter Gabriel’s departure.  

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 01:42

On tonight’s episode of “The Simpsons” Homer and Bart get into an argument over whether Genesis was better before or after Peter Gabriel’s departure.  

I don't really watch it but I'm intrigued as to who took what sideSmile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 06:15

The episode had Homer talked into buying a bass and then forming a cover band with some other characters.  Apu was the singer but he left to take a more lucrative offer.  Homer proclaims that his band will be like Genesis after Peter Gabriel left, and Bart replies "More popular but not as good?"

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 14:25
Originally posted by zappaholic zappaholic wrote:

The episode had Homer talked into buying a bass and then forming a cover band with some other characters.  Apu was the singer but he left to take a more lucrative offer.  Homer proclaims that his band will be like Genesis after Peter Gabriel left, and Bart replies "More popular but not as good?"

taSmile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 20:28

Not to get into a discussion about inconsistency in character development on the show, but… It’s odd but actually typical of Simpsons writers to throw in a detail like that about Bart when he’s rarely if ever been shown to have any discernible tastes in music of any kind.  He regularly dismisses Lisa’s fondness for jazz, so it seems likely that he’d be unable to handle any music that’s more challenging than the pop music of the day.  So for him to show a preference for Gabriel-era Genesis is a little hard to swallow, but as I said, it’s rather a typical move on the part of their writers.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 17:32

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">

<h1 style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-weight: normal; mso-fareast-font-family: Arial; mso-font-kerning: 0pt; mso-bidi-: EN-US;"><font face="Arial">Not to get into a discussion
about inconsistency in character development on the show, but… It’s odd but
actually typical of Simpsons writers to throw in a detail like that about Bart
when he’s rarely if ever been shown to have any discernible tastes in music of
any kind.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;">  </span>He regularly dismisses Lisa’s
fondness for jazz, so it seems likely that he’d be unable to handle any music
that’s more challenging than the pop music of the day.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;">  </span>So for him to show a preference for
Gabriel-era Genesis is a little hard to swallow, but as I said, it’s rather
a typical move on the part of their writers.<o:p></o:p></span></h1><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">

<span style="font-size: 10pt; font-weight: normal; mso-fareast-font-family: Arial; mso-font-kerning: 0pt; mso-bidi-: EN-US;"><font face="Arial"><h1 style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"> </h1><h1 style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"> </h1></span><h1 style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"> </h1>

Well said, but Bart did appreciate Michael Jackson. "Happy birthday Lisa!' Lol.
Anyhow. It's all pretty interesting none the less. Best animated cartoon series for me. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>