Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your pets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 272829
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2016 at 23:19
^ Interesting.

I let my cats out 6 months a year and believe me, the winter is so hard up here, they don't bother me to go outside between November and April.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2016 at 23:21
I was gonna say, you own cats so you must know most of this, sorry for the lecture -

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2016 at 23:59
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

I am so very very sad. My long-time avatar, Socks, has been missing for a week and has been presumed dead. A local bobcat may have been the culprit, or possibly coyotes, but it's all conjecture. He was 12 years old, which for cat years I presume is too old too Rock n' Roll yet too young to die. He was my avatar in real life too. I'll really miss him.

Being independent of spirit even in old age cats can go missing for days without concern but I feel for you because a week is along time, here's hoping he returns safe and sound. 

We have two elderly cats (17 & 18) - both have thyroid problems and the eldest also suffers from dementia, she has gone missing twice recently which caused us serious concern because it meant she was missing her meds and that could mean starving to death very quickly due to the hyperthyroidism so we tend to leaflet the neighbourhood with missing cat flyers and posters outlining her medical problems even if she's only been gone 1 day. <span style="line-height: 1.4;">The first time she simply forgot where she lived and took up residence in a house ¼ of a mile down the road, the second time someone thought she was a malnourished stray so they took her to a vets 15 miles away and left her there.</span>
Yeah, I'd been second guessing and blaming myself, but there's only so much one can control. I hope your circumstances surrounding your cats work out in the best possible way.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2016 at 07:55
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

@Dean : at this advanced age, wouldn't it be safer for them and less worrying for you to not let them go outdoors?
We should but as they've been independent outdoor cats all their lives it would be difficult and probably mean using a pen to contain them, which wouldn't be fair on them. [I have strong opinions on the concept of indoor cats that I'll not go into]. We live in a rural area with two miles of field behind us so road safety isn't such an issue, we keep them in at night for simple expediency (they can see cars but car drivers can't see them).

It's really only the male that used to wander far but now he's old and going deaf he is rarely gone for more than an hour (even with the meds the hyperthyroidism means he wants feeding little and often). The eldest female rarely leaves the garden (which is why she now gets easily disoriented) and the other two females stay in and around the house all the time.

However, mostly they sleep:

Mouse (6) - so named because she used to sleep on my mouse mat while I was trying to work:

Syd (10) - this is how she sleeps for reasons best know to her, if the iPad is in use she will try and sleep on my iPhone

Spike (17) - waiting to be returned to Amazon.co.uk

Storm (18) - Spike's mum, looking none to pleased I woke her (she heard that on the grapevine)

..and here she's decided that if I'm going away on business she's coming too:
What?
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2016 at 11:25
Cat's life...lucky dudes.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2016 at 17:03
It's hilarious the sort of places cats can find to sleep. And when they do, they have no idea how amusing they are, like perfect comedy straight men.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2016 at 09:37
the big boss

the whistleblower

the unafraid (except for bathtubs)
HosiannaMantra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HosiannaMantra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2016 at 09:49
Moths, mites, ants.. And I had a hornet for a few minutes today.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2016 at 10:59
Hello.

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2016 at 18:11
Off for a walk in the neighborhood with my whistleblower...he follow me for the first half then lead the way for the path home...quite hilarious.

Who said cats were too independent?
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2016 at 11:29
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2017 at 20:54
The boss is comfortably seated on the couch, eating a bird.

Looks like happiness.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2018 at 11:03
Dead thread.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2018 at 11:23

Edited by Cristi - August 17 2023 at 02:41
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2018 at 12:13
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2018 at 15:40
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 272829