Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLos Canarios

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Los Canarios
    Posted: May 07 2012 at 09:07
Show some love for this band.

The track on this website from their album Ciclos is one of the BEST 70's tracks I have ever heard.. Sometimes it pays just to cylce through the whole genre on the MP3 list on this site. It has everything I love about music in it all at once... including a nice little rip from classical music towards the end.

Does anyone own this album? I cannot WAIIITTT to get a hold of it and actually hear the whole thing.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 09:24
Never heard of them before ... but after reading a few reviews, I'm eager to check it out too.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 09:33
We really don't need capitals to pay attention.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 09:43
Now that I think about it, it really does sound like Symphonic Rock for Smurphs.
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 11:03
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

We really don't need capitals to pay attention.

That was just me showing excitement because when I find music I like, I get a sort of elation I can't describe. Sorry for messing up your site with the all caps. :-P
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 11:52
^You didn't mess up the site, just me sense of order.Wink
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 13:39
I gave it 5 stars so yes, I own the album (CD edition) and I find it a masterpiece, here you can find my review if you didn't read it yet.

Having said that I have to admit that it's an album I don't listen much to. When I do, I objectively find it a masterpiece, partly because of how well they managed the bold ambition it represented in the very difficult environment of mid-70's Spain, but it has a significant portion of quite experimental stuff which, while being good, it's not my favourite style.
One of those albums that when I listen to I truly appreciate, but when I don't I do not feel the calling to play it.

BTW I'm Spanish and this is why I knew this album from early. May I remark that this album has become rather punished among Spanish proggers because of the history of band leader Teddy Bautista. He became president of the Spanish Authors Association in 1995 and during the years he accumulated a very bad reputation in the eyes of true artists, misusing his power and holding on to the position only by dirty politics and deals with the mass media. So real artist musicians hated him but he somehow held his chair by power plays.

His dark reign ended last year (2011) when finally it became public that he had been enriching himself with the money of the Association and he had to dismiss himself and was legally accused. I did not follow the latest developments but I think that he is still waiting for trial, he got his passport cancelled so he can not escape abroad, and it is very likely that trial will sentence him to jail.

So it's a masterpiece album with a very dark shadow. Personally I do not link both, when Canarios recorded Ciclos in 1974 Teddy was 31 and he was still far from commiting his crimes, so I hold no punishment on the album.

Edited by Gerinski - May 07 2012 at 13:44
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 15:51

Awesome- I like the idea that a dark shadow surrounds the man that made it. A truly evil person sometimes makes the most breathtaking music. Evil has power. And while it might be frightening it is a joy to listen to.

hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 16:11
I like Ciclos, but I prefer RDM's Contaminazione. The english language is the problem with that music. Sing the whole piece in spanish would have served the work better, in my humble opinion.  
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 20:25
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

Show some love for this band.

The track on this website from their album Ciclos is one of the BEST 70's tracks I have ever heard.. Sometimes it pays just to cylce through the whole genre on the MP3 list on this site. It has everything I love about music in it all at once... including a nice little rip from classical music towards the end.

Does anyone own this album? I cannot WAIIITTT to get a hold of it and actually hear the whole thing.

I've not heard it, but I've heard of it.  Isn't it all (not just the end) an interpretation of Vivaldi's The Four Seasons"?
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2012 at 13:58

^ Yes- now that I'm looking up stuff about it- I guess I just didnt recognize it till the end.

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2012 at 15:57
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

I've not heard it, but I've heard of it.  Isn't it all (not just the end) an interpretation of Vivaldi's The Four Seasons"?

It contains several excerpts from Vivaldi's work but also quite some original music, it is far from simply a rendition of The Four Seasons with rock instruments.
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2012 at 20:03
In my opinion LOS CANARIOS "Ciclos" is love-it-or-hate-it thing. For me it was a big disappointment - I wonder how they could turn Vivaldi's music into complete boredom. 
But most of reviewers here find lots of good qualities in this album: http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=2808.
Perhaps I don't see something, I don't know. Confused 
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
 Post Reply Post Reply