Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCollege Finals???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: College Finals???
    Posted: May 07 2012 at 13:01
Do you guys have your college finals this week or sometime around here?

I was studying with someone and they pointed out that my finals are 40% of my grade and I nearly fainted.

I HATE finals. HATE HATE HATE.

I developed this HATE last year when I got 10 points on average below my previous grade in all my classes - i.e. I was a 85 student, I get a 72 final, I end up with a grade barely making it into the 80s.

I HATE that crap. You should be judged on your performance throughout the course. If I get a C all my privileges will be taken away (single room among them).

Well that is my rant. Is there anyone here who LOVES finals?

Do you study like crazy? Or just relax and get into the mindset? Are you wringing your hands? Are you cursing under your breath? Wacko

How do you feel about leaving campus or ending school and the people you've met? I don't usually worry but I met someone I like a lot this semester.... plus I always worry I get rusty and stupid while I'm on vacation.... Ni Ne? (as will be on my Chinese Final, meaning; and you?)
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 13:07
Eh, don't bother, no jobs out there anyway. Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

VanVanVan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 13:07
Finals are the worst. Just had my hardest one this morning though and it seemed to go pretty well so fingers crossed. 
"The meaning of life is to give life meaning."-Arjen Lucassen
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 13:09
I enjoyed finals. I don't think there should be tests at all, but I especially don't think they should exist during the semester.

Just don't do poorly on the final. Then you don't have to worry about what % of your grade it determines.

I didn't really study. The semester itself is a preparation for the final. I can't study really. My mind wanders too much. I like new material, not pouring over things I already know.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
RoyFairbank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 13:09
Originally posted by VanVanVan VanVanVan wrote:

Finals are the worst. Just had my hardest one this morning though and it seemed to go pretty well so fingers crossed. 

Which reminds me, in my school at least you don't get your grade back for quite a while.... and they don't come through at the same time. Still I think my old school may have been worst..... It was like a month there.....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 13:11
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

I enjoyed finals. I don't think there should be tests at all, but I especially don't think they should exist during the semester.

Just don't do poorly on the final. Then you don't have to worry about what % of your grade it determines.

I didn't really study. The semester itself is a preparation for the final. I can't study really. My mind wanders too much. I like new material, not pouring over things I already know.

Since we are both aspies (that is what the test said, wasn't it?) I wonder if that is a common trait. I find it difficult to study old material, my mind wanders, exactly as you say. I find it easier to improvise from my knowledge. This used to work fine in my old school, I regularly aced tests..... Here, I may have to spend more time. I'm usually the first one out without exception.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 13:18
I generally did fine on my final exams, but I didn't enjoy the stress of taking them, especially when they comprised so much of my final grade.  I was always a bad at studying, never did any work outside of class unless I had to.  I guess I absorbed enough during the class time to get by with a B average most of the time.

Grad school was even worse - I cared even less about studying because I already had a professional life and was working a lot of hours in addition to nearly full-time classes. 

Finishing your last final exam, however... that was a feeling of liberation and relief that I kind of miss.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Gamemako View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 14:00
Originally posted by RoyFairbank RoyFairbank wrote:

I HATE that crap. You should be judged on your performance throughout the course. If I get a C all my privileges will be taken away (single room among them).

AngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngry

So you should be judged on meaningless drivel on which 98% of students cheat, not on whether you've actually left the course with the knowledge you were supposed to acquire? I hate this stupid crap. Waah waaah judge me lightly so I can keep being rewarded for nothing!

There is one singular goal to each class: to impart on you some modicum of knowledge. The purpose of having a grade at all is purely to assess whether that knowledge has actually been acquired. There is no "performance" over the course. At the end, you know what you need to know and deserve an appropriate grade, or you do not and should either retake the course or change your course. All prior testing is merely practice which is totally meaningless in the long run -- if you have forgotten the information you were tested on, then your professor should forget the grade you got on it.

You've been spoiled by a system which has coddled the hell out of you.
Hail Eris!
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 14:09
All of my exams are going to be comprehensive ... Head on wall ... Jesus H. Christ. And for the new material on Circuits I have to practice Thevenin and Norton equivalents ... AGAIN ! And I have to remember how to build my own serial driver in 8051 and ARM7 for CPE301. F$$$$$$$$$$%k. This is where my tactic of tackling the material shortly before an exam (so that the info would stay fresh in my head) ain't gonna work. Luckily, most exams here are 20% of the grade, unlike what our old pal RoyFairbank has Big smile . Think Ummagunna come out with an A, an, A, a B, and a C.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - May 07 2012 at 14:12
Gamemako View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 14:47
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Luckily, most exams here are 20% of the grade, unlike what our old pal RoyFairbank has Big smile .

In Australia, most final exams are 60%. You can justify that if the rest of the grade is comprehensive projects. Otherwise, it should be 100%.

Don't you find it a little unsettling that you are annoyed when your scheme to avoid retaining knowledge is foiled?
Hail Eris!
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 15:00
Finals are stressful but I generally do pretty well because I study like a machine.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 15:03
Originally posted by Gamemako Gamemako wrote:

Luckily, most exams here are 20% of the grade, unlike what our old pal RoyFairbank has Big smile .

In Australia, most final exams are 60%. You can justify that if the rest of the grade is comprehensive projects. Otherwise, it should be 100%.

Don't you find it a little unsettling that you are annoyed when your scheme to avoid retaining knowledge is foiled?

They should make you re-take the final again a year later, to make sure you've really retained the knowledge.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Gamemako View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 15:20
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

They should make you re-take the final again a year later, to make sure you've really retained the knowledge.

Most professional certifications require refresher courses for that very reason.
Hail Eris!
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 17:06
Nope, no finals for me this week, last or next. This is because I'm done with schoolTongue

Not sure anyone loves finals...

Reckon I was pretty typical: crammed in a short amount of time prior (depending on this class varied how much time I gave myself) or in the case of papers, (yeah my final year I had no test finals, all papers) I did em a few days before hand.

Didn't stress.... I mean you know when they are coming, and if you choose to leave yourself 3 days to prepare, well no point in being angryLOL Can't avoid it anyway, just prepare and be calm as possible.

Yeah, it's sad leaving the people you like. I never had tons of friends but of course miss the ones I had. We keep in contact much as possible and have some trips planned.
I assume you mean a female and no advice there, in fact as a student I demand you teach meStern Smile
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 17:14
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

That was pretty much how it went for me, my "cram" was more touch up/focus on certain areas.
I also can't study...but thankfully picked up what was needed naturally over the semester.

If I ever didn't I was pretty much f**ked. There's no place to be or anything to do that can get me to study, I always failedCry It's just not in me

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 19:10
I am supposed to be studying right now and I'm on Prog Archives and listening to Foreigner, well known as the least intellectually stimulating band in human history.

God help me.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 20:42
I've been out of college for many years but this was my final exam:

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 20:50
I finished my last one tonight!! BOOYA!!

(I'm sorry I said "BOOYA!!")

Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 22:45
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I've been out of college for many years but this was my final exam:

A dock was your final exam? Were you in a rowing team or something?
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 22:56

A dock was your final exam? Were you in a rowing team or something?
Architect. Presumably he designed it in AutoCAD or something.

You should try failing school. Then you don't have to take finals any more.

Off topic, but why do I have a spanish banner ad for M&Ms on this page?

Edited by Henry Plainview - May 07 2012 at 22:57
if you own a sodastream i hate you
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>