Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDoes the average person know what prog is?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does the average person know what prog is?
    Posted: July 02 2012 at 10:34
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

..and I'm bigger than you.Cool
I can't run but I can hide Tongue
I wouldn't worry, I can't run either.  I can puff and pant with the best though.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 10:31

I can't run but I can hide Tongue
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 10:25

call me ignorant of the facts and I'll agree with you, call me ignorant and I will want to punch your lights out. Smile

...yeah, I am that brave behind a keyboard. Tongue

You'll find I edited my post Dean.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 10:23
call me ignorant of the facts and I'll agree with you, call me ignorant and I will want to punch your lights out. Smile

...yeah, I am that brave behind a keyboard. Tongue
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 10:18

Ignorant is fine. How can it be harsh? The word comes with no agenda.
It can if used as a noun and not an adjective, as in: "the diference[sic] between ignorants and average people"

Even so "ignorants" in itself is not offensive but may be intended to be and offense may be taken because the word does seem to be offensive.
I've always maintained that if a word can be taken two ways then it should be avoided. Unfortunately it's down to basic misuse - the cold, hard dictionary definition of ignorant carries no offensive meaning and the correct noun for a stupid person is ignoramus, which means "stupid or ignorant person"... which begs an offensive use for the phrase "ignorant person", ie ignorant=stupid - which does not appear in the dictionary

You could be right about not using a word if you think it will cause offence. That is so like you. I on the other hand......well you know I am blunt. Strange that "stupid" comes into the meaning when the word is ignoramus though. But to call someone an ignoramus is definitely meant to be offensive.
Lard and Brick are inoffensive words with no offensive meaning, yet if I call you a tub of lard I am being offensive, but if I call you a brick I'm being complimentary.

Words mean what words mean - however that meaning changes with usage.

elitist means:
1. The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.
a. The sense of entitlement enjoyed by such a group or class.
b. Control, rule, or domination by such a group or class.
ignorant means:
adj.
1. Lacking education or knowledge.
2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.
3. Unaware or uninformed.
overrated means:
tr.v. o·ver·rat·ed, o·ver·rat·ing, o·ver·rates
To overestimate the merits of; rate too highly.
hm()
We cannot change those meanings on a whim to mean something else unless common usage gives them another meaning. To call someone ignorant is to call them stupid, to say they are ignorant of some piece of escoteric knowledge is not being offensive - it's down to usage. As yet there is no common usage that grants "elitist" with any other meaning, however rhetorical the rhetorician is being; Overrated, it now appears, has a common misuse to mean "anything popular that I don't like" - and for me that remains a common misuse rather than common usage.

Sorry I disagree. To call someone ignorant is not calling them stupid it is saying they lack knowledge of something. I you modify it to "you are ignorant of the facts" for example, it is more palatable.

Actually I get your point. Flat calling someone "ignorant" by usage now means stupid just as much as lacking knowledge. I concede.

Edited by Snow Dog - July 02 2012 at 10:24
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 10:13

It can if used as a noun and not an adjective, as in: "the diference[sic] between ignorants and average people"

Even so "ignorants" in itself is not offensive but may be intended to be and offense may be taken because the word does seem to be offensive.
I've always maintained that if a word can be taken two ways then it should be avoided. Unfortunately it's down to basic misuse - the cold, hard dictionary definition of ignorant carries no offensive meaning and the correct noun for a stupid person is ignoramus, which means "stupid or ignorant person"... which begs an offensive use for the phrase "ignorant person", ie ignorant=stupid - which does not appear in the dictionary

You could be right about not using a word if you think it will cause offence. That is so like you. I on the other hand......well you know I am blunt. Strange that "stupid" comes into the meaning when the word is ignoramus though. But to call someone an ignoramus is definitely meant to be offensive.
Lard and Brick are inoffensive words with no offensive meaning, yet if I call you a tub of lard I am being offensive, but if I call you a brick I'm being complimentary.

Words mean what words mean - however that meaning changes with usage.

elitist means:
1. The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.
a. The sense of entitlement enjoyed by such a group or class.
b. Control, rule, or domination by such a group or class.
ignorant means:
adj.
1. Lacking education or knowledge.
2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.
3. Unaware or uninformed.
overrated means:
tr.v. o·ver·rat·ed, o·ver·rat·ing, o·ver·rates
To overestimate the merits of; rate too highly.
hm()
We cannot change those meanings on a whim to mean something else unless common usage gives them another meaning. To call someone ignorant is to call them stupid, to say they are ignorant of some piece of escoteric knowledge is not being offensive - it's down to usage. As yet there is no common usage that grants "elitist" with any other meaning, however rhetorical the rhetorician is being; Overrated, it now appears, has a common misuse to mean "anything popular that I don't like" - and for me that remains a common misuse rather than common usage.

What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 09:48

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 09:44

Edited by Dean - July 02 2012 at 09:45
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 09:33

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 09:27

What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 09:14
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 08:59
ignorants is a bit harsh.
They dont care, thats perfectly ok, just like i dont care about basketball.
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Lariachi View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 06:51
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Most young proggers don't even know what prog is. The music which was named prog was the music which was composed and played by people who were brought up with jazz, classical, folk and rock in the 60s. Unless you have skipped the 80s, 90s and 00s you won't produce the same quality songs which is known as prog. I've skipped those decades post 1983 simply because i don't rate the music most of the time Smile

I probably didn't even know what Progressive Rock was, because nobody asked me that question.

IMO it's the most artistic part of rock, complex in their composition most of the times, it ends up by being people showing what they know with their instruments but with people supporting them and doing the exact same thing , it varies from band to band, also the use of new instruments like Mellotron, Moog, Hamond etc. (I'm only remembering the keyboards/synthetisers, but that was one of the main instruments that changed prog). But then I, most of the times don't know the composition of most of the songs and I just know this sounds like some of the progressive rock songs, other times I don't know, it has so many sub-genres, that is hard to find a definition for it.

I know that some of the roots on progressive rock are classical composers like Bartok and Stravinski, Jazz and Rock, and I guess some Folk lyrics were there too. If there is anything else I should know more enlighten me.

My friends now (age 17-23), are not part of the average person group, they are ignorant, I mean really, really, really ignorant, so ignorant that they never heard the beatles and sang Queen songs, without even knowing they were from Queen, they thought that Queen was a gay group, in the soccer stadium they sang "We are the Champions", it wouldn't suprise me if they didn't know about Beatles or Pink Floyd (well they know at least "Another Brick on the Wall pt.2) In the end I tried to teach them, a useless effort, well one of them learned about Doors and Pink Floyd, so I guess that was close enough. It's hard to find somebody that likes prog, well even in my music school, the students are more inclined to the mainstream - Clapton, AC/DC, Beatles, Hendrix - and the new artists (I don't know any of them), but the teachers know and like progressive rock (my piano teacher spends 300 euro's a month in Vynil, most of them are progressive artists, so I guess I landed in the right place to learn more about prog). So I guess it's pretty hard to find Prog rockers.

And with this I explained the diference between ignorants and average people. I saw a person talk about it,so I ended up by explaining it. My friends suck... It's hard to discuss music around them and that hurts me.

dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2012 at 22:29
Originally posted by topographicbroadways topographicbroadways wrote:

Does the average PA user know what 'elitist' means? Smile

Nice goal Bartel Wink
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2012 at 22:28
Most young proggers don't even know what prog is. The music which was named prog was the music which was composed and played by people who were brought up with jazz, classical, folk and rock in the 60s. Unless you have skipped the 80s, 90s and 00s you won't produce the same quality songs which is known as prog. I've skipped those decades post 1983 simply because i don't rate the music most of the time Smile
gazagod View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2012 at 15:20
'elitist' is a loaded word that means whatever the rhetorician wants it to mean... and no, i don't think the average person knows what' 'prog' means... i only know within a very narrow context... something instrumental/pragmatic... beyond that it often functions as a 'catchall' that means whatever the rhetorician wants it to mean LOL
we only know that we do not know
Codera the Great View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2012 at 03:20
No, I don't think so, unless it's some of the bigger names like Pink Floyd, Yes, or Rush, but even then they will probably only listen to the "radio hits" from them, and not entire records from them.
topographicbroadways View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2012 at 00:29
Does the average PA user know what 'elitist' means? Smile
-Radioswim- View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2012 at 00:02
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

^ AAAHHHHH I was going to make that my sig!!! You beat me!!!

Anyway, as far as I know, the average person DOES NOT know what prog rock is. Especially within my age group (18-26), most of them have no idea, though once in a while there will be someone who likes a band or 2 that can be considered prog, but they don't realize it.

The average music listener also DOES NOT know what prog rock is, at least from my experience.

A lot has to do with age, but this also goes along with being exposed to it. The average young adult is probably exposed to prog between the ages of 18-26 about 0.006% of that time, if they're "lucky". You have to search for it yourself if you ask me.

which makes us an unlikely intimate group of people. Hug  I love you guys!

even if you're avatar is Jeff bloody Goldblum!

Edited by -Radioswim- - June 21 2012 at 00:05

Dust in the Kitchen
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2012 at 00:47
Originally posted by Stevo Stevo wrote:

[/QUO

Lack of availability of so called elitist music is what I call soft coercion.  It is the exact opposite of the situation of the 19th century when so called highbrow art was patronized by the ruling or wealthy class.  Today, you only have some fans or some musicians, like Metheny, deriding pop but there is no real pecking order.  There is only that which sells and is easily available and that which does not sell and is harder to acquire.   Music schools might adopt a condescending attitude towards pop or lowbrow music but again, these are only some groups of people or institutions that live in the past.  There is not much social endorsement of music elitism and there are certainly no class barriers in access to highbrow music anymore, if such a thing can still be said to exist.   Merely the artists or their fans believing themselves to be highbrow does not make it highbrow.  The fact of the matter is nobody gives a damn anymore if you are highbrow or lowbrow and those who believe their being highbrow makes them superior are not going to get a whole lot of respect.
[/QUOTE]
So your basically proposing that all music has equal value- whether it be from above the waist or below, to use Fripp's terms.  I don't disagree- and Im not making a counterpoint either-  but I'm having a hard time reconciling that with the fact that you have some music (call it highbrow for now) that has a lot of embodied energy invested in: Theory, Composition, and Technique, and then you have other music, that has none of this.  And guess what- the latter brings more joy to the world than the former by far.  Does that make it better? I suppose in a way- but then again the former is an expression of an evolved art form- so maybe it is also better. So if the various types, forms, and hybrids of music all  have defineable (and debateable) merits, then it follows that no music is beyond critique. Its thru this act of critique and debate that values develop, but not always for the right reasons and not in any conclusive way I suppose.
I think in a roundabout way I have just agreed with your point.
[/QUOTE]

LOL  It has basically become untenable to generalize or stereotype music in certain boxes based only on how it is originated, by "educated" or "uneducated" musicians or for large or 'discerning' audiences, it doesn't really matter much now.  Popular music wins in the marketplace but it often has a shorter shelf life.  Some popstars have found it hard to handle fame and the attendant pressures and eventually paid the ultimate price, while 'art' musicians keep playing into the twilight of their lives.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>