Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHawkwind 1976-1981

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 13:46
^ I like albums from both the periods. Simple as that really. As do most Hawkwind fans i reckon.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 13:49
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Hawkwind and Gong are similar. They sound very amateur until mid 70s but quite cool afterwards. Gong-You and Gazuese are quality. Angels egg has it's moments too. Hawkwind improved by 200% in 1976

Gong and Hawkwind are similar?

Cry
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 13:51
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hawkwind and Gong are similar. They sound very amateur until mid 70s but quite cool afterwards. Gong-You and Gazuese are quality. Angels egg has it's moments too. Hawkwind improved by 200% in 1976

Cry

Yep. And that is from the Prog Doctor no less.Wink
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 14:03
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Cry

I've always had massive faith in doctors. Mine informs me that I am still alive every time I see himLOL
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 14:04
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Cry

I've always had massive faith in doctors. Mine informs me that I am still alive every time I see himLOL

Don't tell me. You're a ghost writer.

Boom boom!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 14:05

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Cry

Don't tell me. You're a ghost writer.

Boom boom!

I won't beat thatBig smile
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 14:13
I can't believe you are so cynical about the highly respected opinions of Dr Prog! 
The similarity of Gong and Hawkwind comes from the attitude and the fans (like me) are more often than not fans of both.  The attitude of Dave Brock has rather changed I think as he is the only original member left and he has fallen out with the others, Nik Turner and the Space Ritual crew. It is sad that he wouldn't allow them to use the Hawkwind name.  Where as, Daevid Allen was happy to call any branch of Gong Gong.  I prefer Gong for this reason mainly as they are still a Band.  (or three) . The spacey synths seem to be the main link musically with Tim Blake the most direct link.

Edited by akamaisondufromage - May 14 2012 at 14:14
Help me I'm falling!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 14:17
BTW Agree with Snowy that most Hawkfans like both eras of the band.  My preference for one changes every now and then.  Lemmy leaving made a difference to the sound but probably not so much writing!  Dave Brock admitted however, it was a mistake to sack him.
Help me I'm falling!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 14:18
None of the above means however, that I disagree in any way with the highly regarded opinions of Dr Prog (Doctor of Prog).
Help me I'm falling!
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 14:20
^me neither.

Gotta respek' the good Doc!
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 16:25
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

"Dr." Prog, isn't.  You are suggesting the worst period in Hawkwind history is better than the best?  You continue to prove your ignorance of what is good, and what isn't.  IMO, of course.

For a start there is no worse period because there all excellent in the ever changing Universe which is Hawkwind.
 i would also go on to say that HAWKWIND maybe the Only Prog  band who made conceitedly  good albums through out the 80s  and of course carried this on to present day there last and latest album being there best work for many a year.

The Charisma Calvert years  in fact with out  doubt    produced some the finest Music Not Just by Hawkwind but in the Prog as a whole .  Mr Infandous how much of that period have you REALLY i mean Really listen to ?

if you think that is the worse Period i think you should go see a Ear Doctor and get them checked out.

And Doctor to call the Lemmy years Crappy Hall of Mountain Grill  Crappy ? Come on really ? Warrior on the Edge of Time Crappy ?  guess you might need to seek the advice of a ear Doctor to.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2012 at 08:01
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

BTW Agree with Snowy that most Hawkfans like both eras of the band.  My preference for one changes every now and then.  Lemmy leaving made a difference to the sound but probably not so much writing!  Dave Brock admitted however, it was a mistake to sack him.

I like somthing from all era's, but when I was young I was certainly irritated by the bands inconsistency. I thought the Calvert era was probably their most musically consistent in terms of musicianship and production. They had Adrian Shaw on bass and Simon House on keyboards, and this made a big difference. Calvert was always a superior lyricist and singer to Brock in my opinion, too. Had the Calvert era line up included Ginger Baker and Huw Lloyd Langton, they would have been one of the strongest prog bands around at that time.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2012 at 09:44
Hi,

There is a period that I like a lot, and they are the Hawkwind albums that I play the most. "Electric Tepee" - the last cut of which is really an apt description of the band and its work, and then "It is the Business of the .... "

ET is like an ambient hard rock, psychedelic assault ... and the bits between the pieces are even stronger. Beginning to end, a very satisfying album, but I think one that is very hard to listen to if you are into "preferences" instead of simply the music itself. Excellent visuals and experience for me.

ISTBOTF... is also nice and the only piece that tends to bring the album down for me is their cover of the Rolling Stones song ... which, I guess is more me than anything else ... the Rolling Stones, in the past 40 years are really about everything that is wrong in rock music, that has raped the lesser bands ... and even though it was finally explained to me that this was something they did at a Charity, with all proceeds to it, in the end, I did not feel that it should have been in this album at all --- most of which is also an Ambient sound, but softer in the rock area than the previous album!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2012 at 15:35

Hi,

There is a period that I like a lot, and they are the Hawkwind albums that I play the most. "Electric Tepee" - the last cut of which is really an apt description of the band and its work, and then "It is the Business of the .... "

ET is like an ambient hard rock, psychedelic assault ... and the bits between the pieces are even stronger. Beginning to end, a very satisfying album, but I think one that is very hard to listen to if you are into "preferences" instead of simply the music itself. Excellent visuals and experience for me.

ISTBOTF... is also nice and the only piece that tends to bring the album down for me is their cover of the Rolling Stones song ... which, I guess is more me than anything else ... the Rolling Stones, in the past 40 years are really about everything that is wrong in rock music, that has raped the lesser bands ... and even though it was finally explained to me that this was something they did at a Charity, with all proceeds to it, in the end, I did not feel that it should have been in this album at all --- most of which is also an Ambient sound, but softer in the rock area than the previous album!

Totally agree with you that was a great period for the band the Live album The Businesses Trip is also a really good album  i would even go on to say The Alan Davey.  Richard Chadwick   period produced some of the Hawks finest work not just that but they become a real tight and really good sounding live outfit .

I Have found on Forums such as this when talking about Hawkwind a lot people make comments based on the fact that they haven't really heard much of the Hawks work apart from the early Classic period and the od bit of the Calvert Years  when there is so so so much More from the spaceship Hawkwind which has been flying for 42 years
long may it fly Captain Brock !!!! 

Oh there new album just gets better with each listen Much like there last The Blood of the earth

Onward Fly's The Bird  !!!
Mr Class & Quality? View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 04:00
Well, having never heard Hawkwind before - even though I was a child of the 60s & 70s I somehow missed this band - I went out and bought four albums three weeks ago. 'In Search Of Space', 'Doremi...', 'Astounding Sounds...', & 'Quark, Strangeness & Charm'. I have listened to all four now numerous times and initially I enjoyed the first two but I quickly grew bored with them.The latter two however, I still enjoy after repeated plays! At the end of the day it's all subjective and this is just my opinion of course. Smile  
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 05:19
Originally posted by Mr Class & Quality? Mr Class & Quality? wrote:

Well, having never heard Hawkwind before - even though I was a child of the 60s & 70s I somehow missed this band - I went out and bought four albums three weeks ago. 'In Search Of Space', 'Doremi...', 'Astounding Sounds...', & 'Quark, Strangeness & Charm'. I have listened to all four now numerous times and initially I enjoyed the first two but I quickly grew bored with them.The latter two however, I still enjoy after repeated plays! At the end of the day it's all subjective and this is just my opinion of course. Smile  

The latter 2 are better Tongue
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 05:57
 "The Latter 2 are Better "     Yepp Thumbs Up
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 07:54

The period he describes is in no  way the worst. Levitation is a solid album as is Astounding sounds, Amazing Music. Quark is pretty good too.
This. I'd never put any of those albums on the same level as the Lemmy-era ones but Hawkwind would slide waaaaaaaay further down the spiral later on in their career.

Edited by Warthur - May 24 2012 at 07:54
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 08:02
Originally posted by Warthur Warthur wrote:

The period he describes is in no  way the worst. Levitation is a solid album as is Astounding sounds, Amazing Music. Quark is pretty good too.
This. I'd never put any of those albums on the same level as the Lemmy-era ones but Hawkwind would slide waaaaaaaay further down the spiral later on in their career.

Levitation, also has Ginger Baker on drums ... while that might not be a big deal itself, you can tell that he probably forced them to be tighter and cleaner on what they do ... the combination is actually very good, although I tend to think that when you listen to the earlier albums, there was less emphasyz on the player's abilities as much as it was on the feeling and idea itself ... and everything else over it. Sometimes, this tends to get adjusted to hide deficiencies in the musicians and such ... I don't think that this happened in "Levitation" and the strength shows in how the music pieces are put together, which are recorded strongly, sometimes fast, and very clean on the detail ... I tend to think this was more Ginger Baker than the rest of the band.

Later, actually right after this, Dave Brock was known to be looking for more reliable musicians that stuck the timing better and such. We already know that Simon House was a classical player, so his ability would not be in question, but that leaves the rest of the folks up for discussion. I have no issue with it myself!

Ginger, btw, has gone on to say that this is "the worst little rock band in the world" ... and I think the main reason for it might just be the lack of detail for recording that supposedly makes it better. For a man that did so much improvisation on stage at one time, I found this comment to be rather odd, and off kilter, btw! ... and that Ginger was probably too straight to know how to play his drums!

Edited by moshkito - May 24 2012 at 08:04
www.pedrosena.com
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 15:59
As far as the 80s period goes, i really love "In and Outtake"  (now, what does that title remind you of?LOL)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>