Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHawkwind 1976-1981

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hawkwind 1976-1981
    Posted: May 11 2012 at 08:15
I'm really enjoying this stuff. Picked up Astounding, Quark, Levitation, px5 and Hawklords so far. The compositions are so much better than the crappy amatuer Lemmy era. Who's a fan?

Edited by dr prog - May 11 2012 at 08:15
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 08:25
Hawkwind fans will find this thread in the Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation lounge. Stern Smile
What?
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 08:59
"Dr." Prog, isn't.  You are suggesting the worst period in Hawkwind history is better than the best?  You continue to prove your ignorance of what is good, and what isn't.  IMO, of course.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 09:08
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

"Dr." Prog, isn't.  You are suggesting the worst period in Hawkwind history is better than the best?  You continue to prove your ignorance of what is good, and what isn't.  IMO, of course.

The period he describes is in no  way the worst. Levitation is a solid album as is Astounding sounds, Amazing Music. Quark is pretty good too. Are they better than Warrior On the Edge Of Time and Hall Of The Mountain Grill or In Search Of Space? 

No.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 09:10
I like all of it.  Not much of a difference in quality between the two eras, though they do sound very different.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 09:13
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

The period he describes is in no  way the worst. Levitation is a solid album as is Astounding sounds, Amazing Music. Quark is pretty good too. Are they better than Warrior On the Edge Of Time and Hall Of The Mountain Grill or In Search Of Space? 

No.

True enough.  I was hasty in my response to "Dr." Prog's typical troll bait (which, admittedly, I responded to).  Particularly, Levitation is a good album.  Of course, my impression from reviews and the views of long time fans I've talked to is that, aside from that album, it's not a very good period for the band.  No were near the quality of the earlier releases.  Personally, I'm not a big Hawkwind fan to begin with and find most of their albums of similar quality, though the early ones (especially Warrior) stand out more to me.

Edited by infandous - May 11 2012 at 09:15
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 09:18

No.

True enough.  I was hasty in my response to "Dr." Prog's typical troll bait (which, admittedly, I responded to).

This is the reaction he wants I believe.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 09:21
Well no its not the best era but some of the albums were rather strong such as Levitation, Astounding, and parts of Quark. Of course the earlier Hawkwind is indispensable and incomparable.

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 13:01
Astounding Sounds is my very favorite Hawkwind album from any period. Quark i like quite a bit. I find both this period and the previous to both have great music. Couldn't put one over the other, though.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 13:05
Pending approval.Ermm Is "pillock" so bad? Especially when addressed to a pillock...
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 14:21
I like "pillock".  It's one of those words I first heard on Monty Python, so it can't be that bad.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 17:54
I haven't got any pre 76 albums yet but been listening to youtube alot. Robert Calvert makes a big difference and so does the departure of Lemmy Cool

Warrior and Astounding are 1 year apart but Astounding is 5-10 years more advanced. Warrior sounds like a raw amateur band from 1969 or 1970. Lots of great music in 1970 but this wouldn't be considered very good even if it was 1970. Even worse it is 1975. It's 5-10 years backwards considering it was released in 1975. Astounding sounds on par with great prog of its time though. I don't understand how proggers can not see this? Prog is intelligent music. It comes from people with major classical and jazz influence and no bad rock influences. This usually gives us great melody and musicianship. I only accept rock of high calibre and this comes from the 68-82 period. But 70-75 hawkwind is pretty poor imo

Edited by dr prog - May 11 2012 at 18:14
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 18:03
Lemmy is god. And sometimes pillock can be very descriptive.
Help me I'm falling!
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 18:18
Hawkwind and Gong are similar. They sound very amateur until mid 70s but quite cool afterwards. Gong-You and Gazuese are quality. Angels egg has it's moments too. Hawkwind improved by 200% in 1976

Edited by dr prog - May 11 2012 at 18:19
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 18:25
I love both eras and find no reason to rate one above the other due to the significant difference. All great stuff.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2012 at 05:42
I always thought Lemmy's contribution to Hawkwind was pretty small, and because of his later fame perhaps overstated - he wrote a couple of songs and sang lead on 4 (Lemmy sang lead on Silver Machine but Calvert & Brock wrote it)  - during the 70-75 era Captain Bob probably contributed more than Lemmy. I see a pretty natural progression from In Search of Space through to Quark, Strangness and Charm regardless of the changing band lineups. Gong on the otherhand is a completely different band with a different musical direction from You to Shamal.
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2012 at 05:53
^You are right. I don't see that after the sacking of Lemmy it signified any change in musical direction. Of course Calvert would make a difference  but it';s not a sea change.

But dr prog is an expert an maybe has analysed the music in far more detail.

Edited by Snow Dog - May 12 2012 at 05:54
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 06:21
Love the Calvert era Hawkwind.

Astounding Sounds is my favourite.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 13:33

No.

Absolutely.

I kinda thought that the inclusion of Michael Moorcock on WOTEOT brought it down, but maybe not. Hall's opening 2 cuts are very nice, although not many of us can relate to "Psychedelic Warlords", but it was the first album that had Simon House in it, and I thought it was very nice, even if really different from the earlier stuff. In Search of Space is a magnificent "classic".

Astounding Sounds Amazing Music has 2 absolutely fabulous pieces in Reefer Madness and Steppenwolf. And a couple of instrumentals that are super nice as well.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 13:45
^^ I love "City of Lagoons" on Astounding Sounds.

Edited by HolyMoly - May 14 2012 at 13:45

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>