Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Zappa:The Roxy performances being released soon!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedZappa:The Roxy performances being released soon!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zappa:The Roxy performances being released soon!
    Posted: May 11 2012 at 15:05
From the Zappa mailing list:

Originally posted by Gail Zappa (Frank's wife) Gail Zappa (Frank's wife) wrote:

Hello Boys & Girls,

About 10 Years Ago, shortly after Al Gore invented the internet, we here at UMRK, where we feel it is our duty … decided to announce plans for the Roxy Performances to be unleashed at last on a wholly suspecting public and others besides.  What We Knew Then compared to What We Know Now about what is possible is something completely different.  I could romanticize and say that over here at the Other Side of the Miracle of Time & Space there is nothing stopping us but the Movie Monster.  Every Monster Movie has at least one.  Our Movie Monster is THE BUDGET.

Because of the condition the condition was in - no synch, no idea what was what, no idea of the actual coverage, no idea of the quality;  all the et ceterae that caused FZ to abandon the project completely - it took all this time (if you include all the other priorities and distractions) to get to this point, so near and yet so far:  All of the footage has now been transferred on a best light basis into HD and all camera angles have been "synched" by eye and heart and hand and edit to the original Nagra tapes.  We now need to identify all usable camera angles and begin the actual edit.  Still, we have miles to go in order to bring the best of the possibilities to a screen near you.  And we need your help.

We still have a few wrinkles but our irons are hot and the details of our plan for the next Official Release is bundled in a unique opportunity to participate in a special, social experiment designed to open lots of doors for all Artists and their fans everywhere.  Participate and You'll be First.  First with your own copy of a Soundtrack to The Roxy Performances.  First with your name credited in The Roxy Performances, The Movie.  And there are more Firsts.  Stay Tuned.

But first, a word from our sponsors.  We'll be back with all the relevant details right after the other Mothers' Day.

Thank you for your kind attention to this matter.

gz

Approve

This is great news, but I'll believe it once I see it. But this is the closest we've come to an official announcement of the Roxy DVDs.

Edited by darkshade - May 11 2012 at 15:40
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 15:27
It's become almost a running joke in Zappa circles -- the project that has long been promised but hasn't yet been delivered.  I think the Baby Snakes DVD even includes a preview of it ("Coming Soon!") and that came out like 10 years ago.  GZ isn't one to keep fans in the loop on long-delayed projects such as this, so a lot of fans are naturally suspicious of announcements like these.  Still, I figure it's got to surface sooner or later.  It's a major performance, a major part of the canon, and it deserves release -- it's just very very costly and time consuming to complete, I gather.

Dummy Up!
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 15:30
Idk...it doesnt explicity say it will be released in any sort of time frame. I still expect to wait 5 years or more.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 15:35
I ought to go back to the Zappa forum and see what kind of hubbub this has stirred up.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 16:43
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Idk...it doesnt explicity say it will be released in any sort of time frame. I still expect to wait 5 years or more.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 16:49

5 years or more.

Trying to be optimistic? Wink
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 17:15
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

5 years or more.

Trying to be optimistic? Wink

I think the or more part covers a good swath of potential disappointment. Tongue
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2012 at 11:25
Hi,

Technology can fix a lot of things ... old or new. The part that is harder is the video part ... if the video cameras were not the same or consistent, and were just haphazard all over the place -- ie ... too many drinks ... (as can be the case at the Roxy in that day!) ... and what not.

That said, the only thing that would be fun to watch is probably the part that is not going to be there, and is the dancing towards the end of the show ... and I really do not think that is as good as the original, or anything they can put together. The music is better, and the girl/girls are not as tuned to the beat and the music as the players are!

I tend to think that this is over rated, but it was, the sublime time for Frank's performances and as the CD shows, it is an incredible performance itself! So people wanting more ... is not surprising. But I doubt that the dancing girl is going to make the music or this show any better.  But I believe there were more than one date for these, and there maybe a lot of music that was played that never showed up anywhere!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Zombywoof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2012 at 11:31
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Technology can fix a lot of things ... old or new. The part that is harder is the video part ... if the video cameras were not the same or consistent, and were just haphazard all over the place -- ie ... too many drinks ... (as can be the case at the Roxy in that day!) ... and what not.

That said, the only thing that would be fun to watch is probably the part that is not going to be there, and is the dancing towards the end of the show ... and I really do not think that is as good as the original, or anything they can put together. The music is better, and the girl/girls are not as tuned to the beat and the music as the players are!

I tend to think that this is over rated, but it was, the sublime time for Frank's performances and as the CD shows, it is an incredible performance itself! So people wanting more ... is not surprising. But I doubt that the dancing girl is going to make the music or this show any better.  But I believe there were more than one date for these, and there maybe a lot of music that was played that never showed up anywhere!

There is. In the 32 minutes of footage on youtube alone, there is a STUNNING performance of "Dupree's Paradise" that I'd never seen before. This is the holy grail to Zappa fans.
Continue the prog discussion here: http://zombyprog.proboards.com/index.cgi ...
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2012 at 11:32
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I tend to think that this is over rated, but it was, the sublime time for Frank's performances and as the CD shows, it is an incredible performance itself! So people wanting more ... is not surprising.

I more or less just want the audio, so I can hear the band's versions of other Zappa tunes. There are already some songs included on the YCDTOSA live series, such as Cosmik Debris, Big Swifty, and at least one more I can't remember, maybe Florentine Pogen. The band was so tight, that they made all the classics sound absolutely amazing (not that they weren't already).

I have an excellent show from around the same time period, and it's SBD (soundboard quality), so it's kind of like what these Roxy performances would be like; but I think the Roxy ones would be a helluva lot better, because they were really on top of their game at those shows.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2012 at 11:33
Originally posted by Zombywoof Zombywoof wrote:

In the 32 minutes of footage on youtube alone, there is a STUNNING performance of "Dupree's Paradise" .

WHAT??
Zombywoof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2012 at 11:37

In the 32 minutes of footage on youtube alone, there is a STUNNING performance of "Dupree's Paradise" .
WHAT??

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 12:41

WHAT??

WOW I didn't know this existed!
Zombywoof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 15:19

WHAT??

WOW I didn't know this existed!

Apparently, they opened every ZPZ show with it a few years again. Quite an opening act, wouldn't you say?
Canterzeuhl View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2012 at 02:35
Got a press release from zappa.com this morning. Is as follows:

Dear People of Earth,

Here's what's thrilling:

1. It is Moon's Birthday today! And this morning I was lucky enough to have a cold breakfast with Moon and Mathilda - Ice Cream Cake and the sun wasn't even up yet. Yay!

2. I know I do not have to remind you that next December 2013 is the 40th Anniversary of the Roxy Performances. Now that we have thoroughly identified all it's parts and participles, we will deliver The Movie without further incident and maybe only a little ado. In theatres, DVD and Blue-ray, sometime before December, 2013.

3. MEANWHILE . . . before this December 2012, in anticipation of The ACTUAL Movie, we are pleased to inform you that we are scheduling the release of the PREQUEL to the actual Soundtrack. Yes. You will! Appreciate the raw unbridledness of the 75 minutes and 49 seconds of Roxy without the Elsewhere. Further details on The Movie and P.S. (Prequel Soundtrack) as soon as the duckies are all lined up.

4. Oh, and did I mention a new series is about to launch - Road Tapes - on Vaulternative Records! We've taken direct aim at Halloween!

5. Thank you.

xxx,

gz

FunkyHomoSapien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2012 at 05:14
something to look forward to
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2012 at 11:14
So it's finally happening...?
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2012 at 11:31
In over a year, maybe. Wink
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 18:24
Could it be that they are planning to release this to coincide with the 20th anniversary of FZ's passing?
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 19:18
One can hope.

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>