2 [6.25%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 (popular) team sports poll
    Posted: May 13 2012 at 04:41
four very distinct sports, with different elements, but also share simialritys, all are tacktical, sort of global, and are captivating but it is often the truth that most ether love 2 out of 4 or 1 out of 4, i have rarely met anyone who is equaly found of all, or a country who is eqaly solid in all four sports (exept maby France who is quite dominant in soccer, and handball, is respective in basketball and not a slouch at hockey), Russia is also quite solid in 3 out of 4 sports, Hockey and Handball they can be seen as top 3, they are competable in Soccer and i think they are okey in basketball,

US is quite dominant in Basket and hockey, hmm not really that bad in Soccer ether (were ranked 6 once) and have been in some quarterfinals, which is quite good actualy for a non-national sport, team handball have less follovers then syncronswimming and water polo (not dissing any of those sports, just hinting that thier popularity is higher ), but the lady handball team is quite okay, even qualified for playing in the olympics in China, 

UK have ceveral national teams Tongue (4 ), which all can be quite fierce and can beat of any national team (with the pausible exeption of Northern Ireland), they have a hockey olympic gold medal, though the team were canadian citysens, handball is even less popular then in US, and i guess they are quite okey in basketball,

so what is your favorite team sport out of these four types

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumblarge_545/128648527981p0Q8.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5a/Basketball_ball.svg/389px-Basketball_ball.svg.png

http://thepuckdoctors.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/hockey-puck.jpg

http://www.acasports.co.uk/images/products/full/kempa-nucleus-team-handball-2.jpg

Edited by aginor - May 13 2012 at 08:00
OT Räihälä View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 05:49
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

four very distinct sports, with different elements, but also share simialritys, all are tacktical, sort of global, and are captivating but it is often the truth that most ether love 2 out of 4 or 1 out of 4, i have rarely met anyone who is equaly found of all, or a country who is eqaly solid in all four sports (exept maby France who is quite dominant in soccer, and handball, is respective in basketball and not a slouch at hockey), Russia is also quite solid in 3 out of 4 sports, Hockey and Handball they can be seen as top 3, they are competable in Soccer and i think they are okey in basketball,

US is quite dominant in Basket and hockey, hmm not really that bad in Soccer ether (were ranked 6 once) and have been in some quarterfinals, which is quite good actualy for a non-national sport, team handball have less follovers then syncronswimming and water polo (not dissing any of those sports, just hinting that thier popularity is higher ), but the lady handball team is quite okay, even qualified for playing in the olympics in China, 

UK have ceveral national teams Tongue (4 ), which all can be quite fierce and can beat of any national team (with the pausible exeption of Northern Ireland), they have a hockey olympic gold medal, though the team were canadian citysens, handball is even less popular then in US, and i guess they are quite okey in basketball,

Handball and ice hockey? Both are minor sports that are played only in a handful of countries. Unfortunately the latter is quite big here, and I simply hate it. Ice hockey is the most un-esthetic pastime you can find, perhaps challenged only by all these rugby type games that are played in Britain, USA and Australia/NZ. I also hate the machismo attitude of ice hockey.

Basketball is fun to play, not to watch. Footy is both.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 05:53
Football I guess.  Not four sports I would have chosen for a poll. I loathe basketball. Horrible squeeky sweaty  game.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 05:54
If you mean Ice Hockey you should put Ice Hockey as Hockey is another game.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 05:55
Originally posted by OT Räihälä OT Räihälä wrote:

Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

Handball and ice hockey? Both are minor sports that are played only in a handful of countries. Unfortunately the latter is quite big here, and I simply hate it. Ice hockey is the most un-esthetic pastime you can find, perhaps challenged only by all these rugby type games that are played in Britain, USA and Australia/NZ. I also hate the machismo attitude of ice hockey.

Rugby Union is a beautiful and passionate game.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 08:52

Machismo attitude? Who would consider such a horrible thing existing amongst male competitive athletes?

manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 09:06
Voted for hocky because I enjoy hockey, the first two listed are utter sh*t, and I've never seen team handball.  Soccer and basketball have the amazing ability of being equally boring but for completely opposite reasons.  One has men of average height slowly plodding up and down a field the size of Central Park for what seems entire days and never scoring, despite having a net 20 times the size of the guy protecting it, while the other has a bunch of tall guys on a small, indoor, court just going back and forth scoring so often that it's pointless to watch anything but the last minute.  Also, dunking a basketball is the most overrated thing in all of sports.

Edited by manofmystery - May 13 2012 at 09:06

Time always wins.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 09:19
Not what I expected....
Was certain it would be:
Soccer/Football
Handegg
Baseball
Hockey (maybe bball)

Well my favorites aren't listed and I don't like basketball, and don't know team handballConfused
So I guess Hockey
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 10:32
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Not what I expected....
Was certain it would be:
Soccer/Football
Handegg
Baseball
Hockey (maybe bball)

Well my favorites aren't listed and I don't like basketball, and don't know team handballConfused
So I guess Hockey

That would be a list of sports popular in the States.  Big smile

Football of course.  I always think Basketball is a sport about missing rather than scoring.  Dull to watch.

Handball is a very popular sport especially in Europe.  Baseball is about as international as Pelota.
Help me I'm falling!
OT Räihälä View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 10:54
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Machismo attitude? Who would consider such a horrible thing existing amongst male competitive athletes?

What goes on on ice doesn't really bother me, but rather what the ice hockey people write in the papers and/or say on TV. That's soooo 20th century.

Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

Soccer and basketball have the amazing ability of being equally boring but for completely opposite reasons.  One has men of average height slowly plodding up and down a field the size of Central Park 

Isn't it about the same size as in those rugby related games (ca. 100mx70m)? I think football is much easier to follow even for those who aren't really familiar with the game than the different rugbies/handegg games, because all players aren't chasing the ball and each other all the time. In the American rugby, they are even wearing gear that makes it impossible to recognize the creatures bumping into each other on the pitch. And there are also too many lines on the pitch.

Ice hockey on the other hand is even more strange game. Players wear similar gear to those American handegg players, but you can hardly see the puck they play with. Players even wear gloves and helmets, yet they always take them off before they start whacking each others's faces. Why do they have the helmets?

It's funny that there are more registered football players in the USA than in any other country, both male and female, and the USA has also become one of the top international teams the world. Yet only few people see it as an American game. 
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 11:26
I've played Soccer for years and I really enjoy playing it and watching it. I also love watching Hockey, but I don't think I'd be really fit to play it; Plus, it's expensive.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 11:48
Soccer/Football
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 11:54
The great thing about football is that you can play it anywhere and with just about any number of people.  
Help me I'm falling!
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 12:00
I'm a bad editor.....Dead

Edited by Tapfret - May 13 2012 at 12:05
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 12:02

Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

What goes on on ice doesn't really bother me, but rather what the ice hockey people write in the papers and/or say on TV. That's soooo 20th century.

Well, I can't disagree with that. Sports writers/commentators in general are pretty bad. Only surpassed in poor professional writing skills by internet political correspondents. I would be so much happier with televised athletics if they just had an in-arena mic and let us supply our on thoughts and analysis.

Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

The great thing about football is that you can play it anywhere and with just about any number of people.  

Which is what makes it the most popular sport in the world. All you need is something round (about the size of a head, hopefully soft), the ability to draw a giant rectangle on the ground, and 4 sticks to mark the goals.

OOPS!!! EDIT FAIL DOUBLE POST! SORRY...

Edited by Tapfret - May 13 2012 at 12:04
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 13:19
To play? Soccer.  To watch, I prefer hockey
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 14:33
I find football/soccer to be somewhat appealing, but have never really gotten into the sport.  From the list, basketball, because it's fun to play (sometimes) and I enjoy the college game when I get around to watching it.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 16:47
I can't stand soccer.
Ice hockey is to me what Water Polo would look to a Saharaoui.

A friend of mine plays in a female handball team. She must bring me some pictures taken in the showers.
So, I vote for handball.
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 17:10
1. Football (I refuse to add its rather idiotic name used in North America)

2. Ice Hockey

3. Handball

4. Basketball
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 17:40
where the f**k is baseball!?! That's the best sport out there (well, that and Quidditch)!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>