I'm a dickhead

LOL
Help me I'm falling!
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 14:11
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

But despite  Ivan's protests and dislike of the word. I restate..Soccer is a totally legitimate word outside the US

WRONG, WRONG AND WRONG!!! Angry

And I must add that I really dislike... No, I HATE FOOTBALL!
So, if I can be so upset about that "Soccer/Football" thing, it must mean something.

Oh, and be sensible, guys: handball is more awesome than soccer/football AND baseball combinated.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 14:15
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

But despite  Ivan's protests and dislike of the word. I restate..Soccer is a totally legitimate word outside the US

So, if I can be so upset about that "Soccer/Football" thing, it must mean something.

Oh, and be sensible, guys: handball is more awesome than soccer/football AND baseball combinated.
I actually hate the way some guys just presume you like football and talk about last nights match.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 14:16
baseball is not in the poll though, it is a bat sport, not a team vs team sport with on ball/puck, and a score shedule, a bat sport with different positions and different taskes in the sport, for those who play it, 
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 14:20
Yeah, I meant basketball.

Whatever, handball is better.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 14:26
handball is actionpacked and fun to watch,

Treflov is always entertaining,but i would not be his player if you know what i mean.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 14:54
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Actually, he is correct. The word "soccer" is used in all English speaking countries as an alternative word for football, so that includes UK, Australia and NZ which are not part of the US as far as I know, (then I haven't read a newspaper for a couple of days).

Soccer is also used "Officially" through-out the whole world, including South America (including Peru) and most of Europe (including England and France, but not Wales) for the game of Beach Football, or Beach Soccer as it is officially known.

I'm not enamoured by football myself, I watch the occasional world cup match - the idea of beach soccer sounds sounds as sensible as beach volleyball.

What?
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 15:17
Soccer, but really I feel about the same between soccer and basketball. I never watch sports, ever.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 16:08
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Soccer is also used "Officially" through-out the whole world, including South America (including Peru) and most of Europe (including England and France, but not Wales) for the game of Beach Football, or Beach Soccer as it is officially known.

Not correct Dean, I live in Perú and went to the Sudamericano de Futbol Playa:

As a fact this is taken from the Peruvian Official site

"COMISION NACIONAL DE FUTSAL Y FUTBOLPLAYA. TORNEO METROPOLITANO 2010/2011"

Futsal is Indoor Football or Saloon Football and Futbol Playa is Beach Football

This is from Brazil

Quote Prossegue o campeonato do Mundo de Futebol de Praia, em Itália, com jogos da 2ª jornada
www.zerozero.pt/noticia.php?id=33269 

In other words...Beach Football

As a fact, this is from Wikipedia

Quote El Campeonato de Fútbol Playa de Conmebol es el torneo internacional que define a las tres selecciones clasificadas de Conmebol para la Copa Mundial de Fútbol Playa de FIFA

But until now, OFFICIALLY, except in USA, Canada and Puerto Rico (only the local championship) I have never seen an official Soccer mention or Association or Federation.

Iván

akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 16:13
Ermm
Help me I'm falling!
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 17:11
I don't give a Censored anymore Ivan The facts is the facts. Choose to ignore them if you wish.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 17:49

Oh, my mistake, I assumed that if FIFA call it the FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup, in which all the World Beach Soccer teams compete then all the Word teams that play Beach Soccer would recognise it as Beach Soccer when translating it from their parent tongue back into English, but oh no, I was wrong, how Censoreding stupid of me, of course everyone makes a word for word transliteration of their words into English so of course Futbol Playa would become "Football Beach" and de Futebol de Praia would of course be "The Football The Beach" - see how silly I was... because Ivan said they called the game "Football" in Peru I was tricked into thinking that if FIFA called football that was played on the beach "Beach Soccer" then the people of Peru would use the English words without translating them just like the French do because the French call it "Football" even though in French it should be Pieds balle, because Ivan said "The term Football is used in 1.- Latin America" when in fact they don't call it "Football" at all, ever... No, you see they don't call it Football or Soccer, they call it Fútbol, just as the Germans call it Fußball and Welsh call it Pêl-droed. Dammit, even Google translate gets it wrong because when I put the word Futbol into Google translate it comes back with "Football" and when I put in the word Playa, it comes back with "Beach" - yet when I put in the two words "Futbol Playa" that silly Google translate comes back with "Beach Soccer" - how daft is that eh? Both FIFA and Google get it wrong. Stone me, is nothing safe anymore, can we not trust anything?????!!!!

Clown
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 18:19

Oh, my mistake, I assumed that if FIFA call it the FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup, in which all the World Beach Soccer teams compete then all the Word teams that play Beach Soccer would recognise it as Beach Soccer when translating it from their parent tongue back into English, but oh no, I was wrong, how Censoreding stupid of me, of course everyone makes a word for word transliteration of their words into English so of course Futbol Playa would become "Football Beach" and de Futebol de Praia would of course be "The Football The Beach" - see how silly I was... because Ivan said they called the game "Football" in Peru I was tricked into thinking that if FIFA called football that was played on the beach "Beach Soccer" then the people of Peru would use the English words without translating them just like the French do because the French call it "Football" even though in French it should be Pieds balle, because Ivan said "The term Football is used in 1.- Latin America" when in fact they don't call it "Football" at all, ever... No, you see they don't call it Football or Soccer, they call it Fútbol, just as the Germans call it Fußball and Welsh call it Pêl-droed. Dammit, even Google translate gets it wrong because when I put the word Futbol into Google translate it comes back with "Football" and when I put in the word Playa, it comes back with "Beach" - yet when I put in the two words "Futbol Playa" that silly Google translate comes back with "Beach Soccer" - how daft is that eh? Both FIFA and Google get it wrong. Stone me, is nothing safe anymore, can we not trust anything?????!!!!

Clown

Dean...We were talking about Association Football, Beach Football is another sport

So I stay in my point, except in USA, Canada and maybe one or two small countries, the term SOCCER is not used officially in any association, federation or anything.

About Beach Football, I can only talk about us, in South America the term Beach Soccer is not known or used at all, and when we classify, we say Campeonato Mundial de Futbol Playa (Or Football in some countries).

Iván.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 20 2012 at 18:32

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 18:26
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

The name is FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION, soccer is nothing, just an invention of USA to avoid collision with their Football
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 18:36

The name is FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION, soccer is nothing, just an invention of USA to avoid collision with their Football

Honestly, I thought it was invented in USA, but as you say it's only a NICKNAME, not a translation

I read yor previous post and made a short research

Quote Reportedly, the man who stands at the origin of the word soccer is Charles Wreford Brown, an Oxford student who always preferred shortened versions of words, such as brekkers for breakfast, or rugger for rugby.

Soccer gained popularity in the United States later than in the rest of Europe and since the Americans already had a use for the world "football" in understandingthe sport of American Football, a middle option was tried on in between 1945 and 1975, when the organization that controlled soccer in the USA was called the "United States Soccer Football Association".

Besides being long, the name was still confusing so after 1974 it simply adopted the name of "United States Soccer Federation" and the word "soccer" would define the sport in the US area ever since.

It's often mistakenly thought that the United States are the only country that uses the term soccer for what is traditionally known as football in Europe, Asia and other parts of the World.

In your post you imply that Soccer is another translation of Football as Futbol or Futebol,  but as you say, confirmed by the quoted article SOCCER is a NICKNAME and  the only place in the world where soccer is officially used is in USA.

Iván

EDIT: Futbol is not the translation of football, it's an anglicism, the translation is "balon pie", but except in a couple of ultra nationalist schools, nobody uses that term, and of course no association uses it.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 20 2012 at 18:46

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 19:07

Honestly, I thought it was invented in USA, but as you say it's only a NICKNAME, not a translation

It's often mistakenly thought that the United States are the only country that uses the term soccer for what is traditionally known as football in Europe, Asia and other parts of the World.

In your post you imply that Soccer is another translation of Football as Futbol or Futebol,  but as you say, confirmed by the quoted article SOCCER is a NICKNAME and  the only place in the world where soccer is officially used is in USA.

Iván
As Ian said - you win. In England the Football Association calls the seven-a-side version of football for kids under 10 Mini Soccer - that's pretty official sounding to me. Soccer is not a nickname, it started as an abbreviation, (just as "phone" is an abbrieviation), it is now an accepted word in its own right. Beach Soccer is the offical FIFA name for whatever you call it in Peru, in Estonia they call it Rannajalgpall, but that doesn't change anything because the World governing body for the sport uses the word "soccer".

We said you were incorrect in saying it was an invention of the USA but rather than admit you made a mistake you twisted it into "officially used" ... if that makes you happy then so be it, you win.
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 20:15

It's often mistakenly thought that the United States are the only country that uses the term soccer for what is traditionally known as football in Europe, Asia and other parts of the World.

Iván
As Ian said - you win. In England the Football Association calls the seven-a-side version of football for kids under 10 Mini Soccer - that's pretty official sounding to me. Soccer is not a nickname, it started as an abbreviation, (just as "phone" is an abbrieviation), it is now an accepted word in its own right. Beach Soccer is the offical FIFA name for whatever you call it in Peru, in Estonia they call it Rannajalgpall, but that doesn't change anything because the World governing body for the sport uses the word "soccer".

We said you were incorrect in saying it was an invention of the USA but rather than admit you made a mistake you twisted it into "officially used" ... if that makes you happy then so be it, you win.

Dean, I admitted I was wrong about the term being created in USA, I SAID CLEARLY (and I quote a previous post) 

"MEA CULPA", but still I'm talking about Football Association only.

Seven sides Football
Beach Football
Indoor Football (Or Futsal as we know it)

Are different sports, with different number of players on different surface and different length of fields, we have a sport called Fulbito (6 vs 6 on cement floor with goals allowed only inside the area), whatever they are called, is not my business.

Now this is personal (not by you) and you know it, my first post was not about USA or anything, it was simply:

Of course my favorite sport to watch and play is Football (I can't stand that silly name soccer).
Iván 

That was all I said, and all started.

A few posts before me another member said

Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

1. Football (I refuse to add its rather idiotic name used in North America)

And nobody said anything, but as soon as I said that "I don't like the silly name  soccer", Ian started the scandal.

After you said the NICKNAME was invented in England it was obvious for me that it wasn't a USA invention, but I still find it silly, unofficial and hardly used outside USA and Canada to describe officially (or unofficially) Football Association.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - May 20 2012 at 20:17

OT Räihälä View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2012 at 00:30
Soccer is an alternative name for the game also in Britain, and there's no problem with that. I guess the anger towards the use of the word in America comes from the fact, that Britons just don't like it, when Americans call their rugby football. And I admit, it is ridiculous and misleading to call it that. Why don't they invent a name that describes the sport better?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2012 at 01:50
Oh sorry Ivan, I forgot that to win an argument you have to have the final word, however, the sentence "The name is FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION, soccer is nothing, just an invention of USA to avoid collision with their Football" ... is the only thing I was refuting. If twisting things to make it look like I was arguing against the "I don't like the silly name  soccer" sentence makes you happy then so be it. You win.

Edited by Dean - May 21 2012 at 02:09
What?
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2012 at 04:41
Okay, now it's settled: I hate football AND soccer.
Everyone's happy, now?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>