Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEloy Discovery Zone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eloy Discovery Zone
    Posted: May 16 2012 at 18:31

Discovery Zone

Welcome to the Eloy Discovery Zone. This is where we newbies to the band discover some of the best prog out there. I am ashamed to admit I only discovered how great this German Psychedelic, Space Prog band is this year due to the amount of entries appearing at the top of greatest prog albums lists. The legend behind albums such as Ocean and Floating and Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes of course are not unknown to those who hang around this site. However there is so much the band offers on all their albums. Having only recently acquired the debut and Live album I am totally convinced that the band are a hidden treasure in the same vein as Pink Floyd or King Crimson as far as quality is concerned. The singing takes a bit of getting used to but once it seeps into the system it is difficult to imagine the band with any other singer. 

Who are Eloy?

they have a distinct logo

Eloy actually took their name from the weird "Eloi" race, which were a race featured in the future vision of H.G. Wells' "The Time Machine" from 1895.

In the 1960s film they looked like this.

From the 2002 film: 

The Eloi were from the future and were fighting against the Morlocks. The Morlocks hunted them as their only source of food. 

In the 60s film the Morlocks looked like this

In the 2002 remake  film they were slighty more ugly...

Bournemann describes the name of the band on their website - 

"The name Eloy is based on the book 'The Time Machine' by H.G. Wells. Wells describes in his book the situation of mankind about 800,000 years later, and 'Eloy' is a human race in his story. The Eloy in Wells' story have made a new start with the help of the time traveler. In a way, it was a new beginning for the human race. German rock bands in the late 1960s played mainly covers from other bands instead of playing their own compositions. Record deals for German bands were absolutely rare and German bands generally were considered to be second class bands in their own country. At that time it was a strong effort for a German band to come out with only their own compositions. It was a start into an unknown future, and from this point of view, comparable to the human race in Wells' story. That is why I got the idea to name the band 'Eloy'."

Onto the actual band now - - - - - 

The band ELOY formed in 1969 in Germany and were a prolific popular band in their home land. The main influence was the space rock of the 60s and 70s such as Pink Floyd.  

The Band members:

1971–1972

1976–1979

1980–1981

1982–19841984–1987Band split.1988–19931994–19971998–2010

2011–present

My goal is to listen to every album the band has released and it is not easy as there are so many. 

So feel free to voice your opinions on the band and what you think of the albums. I will post some reviews here of albums too. Have fun discovering this amazing prog band with me. 

The albums

| 106 ratings
Eloy
3.72 | 184 ratings
Inside
3.69 | 175 ratings
Floating
3.63 | 178 ratings
Power And The Passion
4.02 | 251 ratings
Dawn
4.17 | 418 ratings
Ocean
3.94 | 266 ratings
Silent Cries And Mighty Echoes
3.64 | 178 ratings
Colours
4.05 | 193 ratings
Planets
3.85 | 169 ratings
Time To Turn
2.81 | 95 ratings
Performance
3.01 | 104 ratings
Metromania
2.11 | 43 ratings
Codename Wildgeese
2.68 | 90 ratings
Ra
2.55 | 76 ratings
Destination
3.54 | 90 ratings
The Tides Return Forever
3.77 | 122 ratings
Ocean 2: The Answer
3.32 | 117 ratings
Visionary

ELOY Live Albums (CD, LP, MC, SACD, DVD-A, Digital Media Download)

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - May 19 2012 at 10:03
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2012 at 18:58
One of my all-time favorite bands. I love them, as well as most of their albums from Inside up untill TIme to Turn(Power and Passion and Floating excepted). 

Tides Return Forever, Ocean 2 and Visionary are also splendid.
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2012 at 19:36
I really like Ocean and Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes, and I've heard a little from Colours and Dawn, and I've enjoyed it all. I'm not too big on psych/space rock usually but they occasionally give off a chill vibe similar to countrymates Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze (it's a very, very subtle vibe). Gotta love that spacey German stuff.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2012 at 19:45
I really love this band!  My favorites are the overlooked debut, and the second album Inside. Both these albums really do it for me. After all, they feature the great bassist Wolfgang Stocker.
         Alas, there are many i have not heard yet. The only one i have heard, and was disappointed with, is Floating.
        Of the ones i have heard, Inside is my all time favorite.
       I discovered the band by reading the back of a German EMI lp copy of Triumvirat's album Illusions On A Double Dimple, where at the bottom of the liner notes, a few other German acts on EMI are mentioned, and it said "Inside von Eloy best." 
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2012 at 20:08
Thanks for the input proggers! I am listening to Live now and totally love it.

Inside is one I cant get hold of at present

But I found this treasure online!

So will get that soon

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - May 16 2012 at 20:09
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2012 at 20:08
It took me a while to appreciate Eloy, but I have a number of albums now, and I've at least heard bits of all their albums through Metromania.  My favorites are probably Ocean and Planets.  i don't get the urge to listen to them a lot, but when I do, I'm rarely disappointed.  They're professionals, and know how to make good albums.  Even in the early 80s, when a lot of their peers went overboard trying to keep up with technology, Eloy put out some really fine albums that incorporated the technology smoothly into their style.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Zombywoof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2012 at 21:40
I have two albums "Ocean" and "Floating", and neither have really grabbed me as of yet. I get to see them this summer, so perhaps the live experience will help me better appreciate them.
Continue the prog discussion here: http://zombyprog.proboards.com/index.cgi ...
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2012 at 21:55
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Thanks for the input proggers! I am listening to Live now and totally love it.

Inside is one I cant get hold of at present

But I found this treasure online!

So will get that soon

Live is, by far, their best album, closely followed by Ocean and Dawn. Inside is also superb and has a nice krautrock feel.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 01:42
Ra is possibly one of the worst albums I have ever heard but beyond that they have one of the best back catologue's of any band. Very consistent quality although they do crib a lot from other bands. Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes references Floyd ,ELP and Tangerine Dream! That will be offputting for many.
I enjoy the spacey synth drenched prog of Planets and Time To Turn the most.Klaus Peter Matziol is a monster bass player especially. The 'singing' though....
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 05:07
^^^ I will bear that in mind! I heard some of Silent  Cries today and totally blown away. The voice is very unique and I think it makes them Eloy and not just another Kraut or psych band. They really capture an atmosphere on each song that cannot be matched. I discovered the 4 in 1 box set with 4 albums included on ebay so bought that for $28 including shipping to Aus from Switzerland which is an excellent deal!

Castle in the air is brilliant and the first time I took notice of them was with that strong spacey guitar sound 

Another good buy here - 2 for price of one

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 05:38
Glad to see you've fallen for Eloy, Atomic!

Their album `The Power and the Passion' was one of the very first proper prog albums I ever heard, and I'd never heard anything like it!! Their third album `Floating' is in my top 10 favourite prog albums of all time.

Their most recent one `Visionary' was a huge letdown to me. I did get the nice vinyl version, but the music was very average. Still, one of the only times I've been disappointed by them.

By the way, am I the only one who sometimes thinks lead vocalist Frank Bornermann sounds like Dr Nick Riviera from `The Simpsons'?!
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 05:51
I've tried to like them. Not for me.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 06:50
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Glad to see you've fallen for Eloy, Atomic!

Their album `The Power and the Passion' was one of the very first proper prog albums I ever heard, and I'd never heard anything like it!! Their third album `Floating' is in my top 10 favourite prog albums of all time.

Their most recent one `Visionary' was a huge letdown to me. I did get the nice vinyl version, but the music was very average. Still, one of the only times I've been disappointed by them.

By the way, am I the only one who sometimes thinks lead vocalist Frank Bornermann sounds like Dr Nick Riviera from `The Simpsons'?!

Yes I believe they are worthwhile as the band have a style that I can get used to. I am amazed at how many of their albums are available for purchase online. I bought 6 albums tonight easily on ebay. Would love to get hold of the DVD too. Maybe later. Cheers

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 07:11
Inside and Floating are their best albums.

But i can't stand their vocals on most days. I can find similar stuff with less annoying vocals.

Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 07:16
I have always had a thing for Eloy. I like most of their output, at least what I've heard so far, but yeah those vocals sometimes make me laugh in the wrong places. It's the inevitable German curse, and personally I'd much rather that they sing in their native tongue. It's very few German artists who have pulled this endeavour successfully off IMO.

I do love Inside and Floating though, and their symphonic psych records coming after them all through the 70s are all of high quality.  
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Zombywoof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 09:21
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

These three images were actually of the Morlocks, not the Eloi.

From the 60's film:

From the 2002 film:

Originally posted by Wikipedia.org Wikipedia.org wrote:

By the year 802,701 AD, humanity has evolved into two separate species: the Eloi and the Morlocks. The Eloi are the child-like, frail group, living a banal life of ease on the surface of the earth, while the Morlocks live underground, tending machinery and providing food, clothing and infrastructure for the Eloi. Each class evolved and degenerated from humans. The novel suggests that the separation of species may have been the result of a widening split between different social classes, a theme that reflects Wells' sociopolitical opinions.

The main difference from their earlier ruler-worker state is that, while the Morlocks continue to support the world's infrastructure and serve the Eloi, the Eloi have undergone significant physical and mental deterioration. Having solved all problems that required strength, intelligence, or virtue, they have slowly become dissolute and naive. They are described as being smaller than modern humans, having shoulder-length curly hair, chins that ran to a point, large eyes, small ears, and small mouths with bright red thin lips. They are of sub-human intelligence, though apparently intelligent enough to speak, and they have a primitive language. They do not perform much work, in the book and 1960 film when Weena falls into the river none of the Eloi help her.

While one initially has the impression that the Eloi people live a life of play and toil-less abundance, it is revealed that the Morlocks are attending to the Eloi's needs for the same reason a farmer tends cattle; the Morlocks use the Eloi for food. This is why there are no old people, and why the Eloi seem to fear the dark.

A portion of the book written for the New Review version, later published as a separate short story, reveals that a visit by the Time Traveler to the even further future results in his encountering rabbit-like hopping herbivores, apparently the descendants of the Eloi. They are described as being plantigrade (with longer hind legs) and tailless, being covered with straight greyish hair that "thickened about the head into a Skye terrier's mane", having human-like hands (described as fore feet) and having a roundish head with a projecting forehead and forward-looking eyes that were obscured by lank hair.

In the 1960 film version of the book, the Eloi are depicted as identical to modern humans, but all small and physically attractive, blond and blue-eyed. They are a placid and docile race, called "human vegetables" by the Time Traveller. They lack curiosity and appear devoid of human emotion. They have historical records, but have allowed them to become dust. The Morlocks use a siren to get them into their caves, like in past eras sirens were used to tell people to get into shelters. The Time Traveller motivates them to fight and defeat the Morlocks, which they do by setting them on fire as the Morlocks seem unused to resistance. One of the Eloi is motivated to beat a Morlock to death when it attacks the Time Traveller; the same Eloi bravely shoves an attacking Morlock aside, showing they are not completely docile. In the 2002 movie adaptation of The Time Machine, the Eloi are depicted as identical to modern humans with a hunter-gatherer lifestyle, and appear to be an ethnic amalgamation of brown skin indigenous races. The former movie version depicts the Eloi speaking modern-day English, a fact which contradicts the original novel and the logical timeline of language evolution. In the latter film version, the Eloi maintain the English language as merely an intellectual exercise, calling it "the stone language," as they know of it only from surviving stone inscriptions from our time.

Edited by Zombywoof - May 17 2012 at 09:33
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 14:28
I've only heard a handful of songs from this band, but a couple of those, The Apocalypse from 'Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes' and End of an Odyssey from 'Time to Turn', I really liked, so I'm planning to explore Eloy's discography myself in the very near future. So, yeah, I'm definitely going to follow this threadThumbs Up
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2012 at 01:40
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

I've only heard a handful of songs from this band, but a couple of those, The Apocalypse from 'Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes' and End of an Odyssey from 'Time to Turn', I really liked, so I'm planning to explore Eloy's discography myself in the very near future. So, yeah, I'm definitely going to follow this threadThumbs Up

Two of their best tracks

I always think the CD 'Eloy Live' is a good place to start. Most of Ocean is there and the band are on electric form. A good chunky 70 minutes of Eloy to enjoy.
Zombywoof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2012 at 08:01
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

Two of their best tracks

I always think the CD 'Eloy Live' is a good place to start. Most of Ocean is there and the band are on electric form. A good chunky 70 minutes of Eloy to enjoy.

Are they still good live?
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2012 at 08:56
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Thanks for the tipThumbs Up I will definitely check that one out, eventually.

Edited by The Bearded Bard - May 18 2012 at 08:56
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>