40 [68.97%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 00:40
^ Some non-smokers are too aggressive.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 00:45
^ Shut up! 
There be dragons
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 00:45
:D
There be dragons
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 01:48
I smoked for 12 years and quit, and for the past 5 years i have been smoking only in some rare occasions, now it seems to be haunting me and i smoke about once a day. Smoking is very hard to quit especially if you are smokingSmoke
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 02:02
Smoked for nearly 30 years and gave up 5 weeks ago on these Champix tablets. Just about getting to the stage where I don't define myself as a smoker - but not there yet. Smoking is a real additiction and it's easy to throw insults that smoking is an unsociable habit. It is of course, but it's more than that. Your life revolves around getting your next hit - "when can I fit my next fag into my day if I have thre meetings in succession" for example. It's that control it has over a smokers life rather than the health aspects that pushed me to quit. If I'm honest I enjoyed smoking and miss it. But it's an evil bloody drug.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 02:07
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

^ Some non-smokers are too aggressive.

This is true, and coming from a non smoker: Everyone knows (even if some are in denial or try to get around admitting) it's bad for you, so I kind of hate making such a big deal of it.
As long as they are respectful of you let em smoke.

Besides, I always felt bad to be honest...there's such a harsh, almost combative anti sentiment...which I understand, but most people I've met seem to dislike it/hate the addiction to some extent and want to quit, but it's an addiction after all.

Goodness Alan, NC never struck me as a ballin time, but looks like I need to hit your hookah barsLOL

Edited by JJLehto - May 24 2012 at 02:08
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 04:04
Originally posted by dean (2nd January 2008) dean (2nd January 2008) wrote:

I use to be ambivalent towards non-smokers but of late I find myself becoming less tolerant to the point of being internally quite belligerent. Since my self-control and will-power has already been proven to be weak it is only a matter of time before I lose the ability to keep those pugnacious feelings to myself. And to be perfectly honest, I am looking forward to that day.

Four years on and nothing's changed - I'd still like to be an aggressive smoker... if I'm going to stand accused and punished without trial for being rude and inconsiderate then I may as well be rude and inconsiderate; if I'm going to be treated like a second-class citizen then I see no reason not to behave like one. But it's not in my nature to be that impolite unless grossly provoked, the best I can manage is to be politely unapologetic. I was always a polite and conciderate smoker before so why should I tolerate aggressive non-smokers now.

When some non-smoker does that comical pantomime waive of disdain when some smoke drifts within 30 metres of their airspace (come on, you've all done it) I will reciprocate with an disdainful waive of dismissal of equal proportion. If that results in some haughty retort then I will politely explain that if the odour offends them then they should move away - they have that choice. I have become a lot less tolerant of non-smokers demands - I am already reduced to smoking outside, way from doorways and open windows - I am as far away from them as it is practical to be, it seems only fair that they place themselves as far away from me as it is practical to be - a little respect goes a long way.

It has never been my intention to share my smoke with anyone, I'm not a sharing person.
What?
Barah86 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 04:31
No! cigarettes are bad...
 marijuana on the other hand Smoke
Death seed blind man's greed
Poets' starving children bleed
Nothing he's got he really needs
Twenty first century schizoid man.
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 04:53
No, I never smoked.
This night wounds time.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 05:17
Originally posted by Barah86 Barah86 wrote:

No! cigarettes are bad...
 marijuana on the other hand Smoke

No! marijuana is bad!

LSD on the other hand Wacko

Wink
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 05:19
LSD is terrible.

Go Heroin!
There be dragons
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 06:05
Heroin?

Child's play

Gnaw on a raw pineal gland
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 06:09
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by dean (2nd January 2008) dean (2nd January 2008) wrote:

I use to be ambivalent towards non-smokers but of late I find myself becoming less tolerant to the point of being internally quite belligerent. Since my self-control and will-power has already been proven to be weak it is only a matter of time before I lose the ability to keep those pugnacious feelings to myself. And to be perfectly honest, I am looking forward to that day.

Four years on and nothing's changed - I'd still like to be an aggressive smoker... if I'm going to stand accused and punished without trial for being rude and inconsiderate then I may as well be rude and inconsiderate; if I'm going to be treated like a second-class citizen then I see no reason not to behave like one. But it's not in my nature to be that impolite unless grossly provoked, the best I can manage is to be politely unapologetic. I was always a polite and conciderate smoker before so why should I tolerate aggressive non-smokers now.

When some non-smoker does that comical pantomime waive of disdain when some smoke drifts within 30 metres of their airspace (come on, you've all done it) I will reciprocate with an disdainful waive of dismissal of equal proportion. If that results in some haughty retort then I will politely explain that if the odour offends them then they should move away - they have that choice. I have become a lot less tolerant of non-smokers demands - I am already reduced to smoking outside, way from doorways and open windows - I am as far away from them as it is practical to be, it seems only fair that they place themselves as far away from me as it is practical to be - a little respect goes a long way.

It has never been my intention to share my smoke with anyone, I'm not a sharing person.

I heartily agree with  every sentiment expressed.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 06:17
I usually find it's ex-smokers who become the most aggressive anti-smokers; whether they're insecure in their commitment to remain non-smokers, or just plain jealous, I don't know.

Bottom line? I smoke; I'd rather not (I'm not stupid - I know the risks), but I do, and I can also say, I actually enjoy smoking... maybe not every single one - some are just plain habit, but overall, that first puff is niiiiice (and yes, I know all about addiction, thanks very much )!

Actually - I'm typing this at the office during my lunch break - anyone want to guess exactly what I'm going to do as soon as I hit that 'Post Reply' button?

Right first time!

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 06:19
Totaly fed up with all that, I want to tell You how to live your life Censored
We need space to not allways be those perfect machines, doing everything right !
Some like to smoke, some eat an unhealthy load of crap, some drink, some like to paint with unhealty oli colours, some like to drive in stupid hungry cars.   
Some like to climb dangerous cliffs, some like to dive in caves.

LETS DO WHAT WE WANT, WE ARE NOT MACHINES MADE TO PRODUCE AS MUSH AS POSSIBLE, AT THE LOWEST COST POSSIBLE, WE ARE HUMANS !! 
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 06:24
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Heroin?

Child's play

I had to google it. It sounds intense :O

Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

Totaly fed up with all that, I want to tell You how to live your life Censored
We need space to not allways be those perfect machines, doing everything right !
Some like to smoke, some eat an unhealthy load of crap, some drink, some like to paint with unhealty oli colours, some like to drive in stupid hungry cars.   
Some like to climb dangerous cliffs, some like to dive in caves.

LETS DO WHAT WE WANT, WE ARE NOT MACHINES MADE TO PRODUCE AS MUSH AS POSSIBLE, AT THE LOWEST COST POSSIBLE, WE ARE HUMANS !! 

It's not really the "smoking is de-moral" it's more a "you're smoking and it smells bad and makes me stink and gives me cancer [though probably minimal]".

@Dean- I'm sorry but I can't agree. Unless you're far away from me, it's annoying, I'm sorry it just is. But you're in the U.K., so you can smoke as much as you want. 

It's kinda like someone constantly farting in public, only farting doesn't give me cancer. 

If you do it at the comfort of your own home, then it's all good.

Edited by frippism - May 24 2012 at 06:25
There be dragons
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 06:27
I think it's just human nature (passion?) but it seems with anything: a political idea, new band/genre of music, new brand of something, new to religion, new to non smoking...the most fervent tend to be the new comers indeed.

Seriously, I don't get the general anti smoking sentiment, especially the harshness of it.
If you live with/have to deal with someone who smokes then yeah, it impacts you and if you want to then try to work with it/get em to quit.

But strangers? Especially when we're outside? Does it really impact your life?
But hey, more human nature...we gotta make sure others do as we want.

Not to derail, I've sene cigars pop up a few times. I think those are nasty, shame that they smell so good. Only had one I got any enjoyment from. Ciggs were generally neutral, if forced I'd rather have that over a cigar!
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 06:29
Originally posted by frippism frippism wrote:

Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Heroin?

Child's play

I had to google it. It sounds intense :O

If you wanna believe the not proven theory that the pineal gland produces DMT  (which is not proven but thought to cause dreams, NDEs, out of body and alien experiences) then eating said gland would have to be the craziest trip ever!

Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 06:32
Originally posted by frippism frippism wrote:

It's kinda like someone constantly farting in public, only farting doesn't give me cancer

There speaks someone who's never eaten a garlic chilli chicken bahar!

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 06:42
As a kid, I thought that smokers were weak persons.
In my student days though, I discovered that a good sigar from time to time could be a real treat, and that I am not stronger than the average person.
After my student days I grew out of smoking, though. Reason nr. 1: I got a girlfriend, and she hated it, Reason nr. 2: I got some small health problems. Reason nr. 3: for me it was easy to stop since I was never addicted to nicotin, and  deep in my heart, smoking didn't feel right for me.
So I stopped, though never officially.
I just stopped buying cigars and never said "yes" anymore when somebody offered me one.
In practice, I didn't smoke in about 10 years, I guess.
I never turned to an aggressive anti-smoker anymore, though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>