18 [31.03%]
40 [68.97%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 12:59
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

<font face="times new roman" size="3"><dt>Peter: What the hell is he talking about?
Englishman: Oh, it’s Cricket. Marvelous game, really. You see, the
bowler hurls the ball toward the batter who tries to play away a fine
leg. He endeavors to score by dashing between the creases, provided the
wicket keeper hasn’t whipped his bails off, of course.
Peter: Anybody get that?
Cleveland: The only British idiom I know is that “fag” means “cigarette.”
Peter: Well, someone tell this “cigarette” to shut up. </dt><dd>-Family Guy</dd>

Continue the prog discussion here: http://zombyprog.proboards.com/index.cgi ...
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 15:27
That is an interesting point. How would you feel if you caught your child? Let it go? Yell at them?
If you do/would do the latter...weird to punish your kid if you smoke yourself?

Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

I have smoked things, and I will probably do it again. However, by no means do I smoke. 

Classic

Edited by JJLehto - May 24 2012 at 15:27
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 16:45
I do smoke, I know it's not good for my health but I do anyway, there are many other things which are not good for my health. However I always try to be resonably respectful towards non-smokers.

Men have smoked for hundreds of years, apart from the modern western cigar or cigarette habit we have to remember south-american tribes or eastern cultures, in one or another way smoking has existed for very long. I'm not arguing that it isn't bad but hey, people have smoked for centuries and they lived long enough to have respectable lives, had healthy children, whatever.
Maybe we should check whether it is not that the tobacco they sell to us nowadays is so artificially manipulated that it does increase the risks.
Cancer rate may have increased but smoking is a very old habit, does the increase in cancer rates really have a lot to do with smoking? There's no doubt that smoking increases the chances of cancer, but as i said smoking has been going for a very long time (at least in healthier forms of tobacco), it is likely that other factors are contributing to the increase of cancer as well.

I remember clearly 30 years ago, you could smoke in the airplanes, trains, subway coaches, restaurants, anywhere, and nobody complained. The guests on a TV debate would all be smoking on screen, most of the movie stars smoked... It's more a cultural thing than a fundamental one.

I'm not going to say that smoking should be promoted, but I think that we have moved from one extreme to the other when there was no real motivation for it. Let's respect eachother, that's for me the key point.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 17:38
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

That is an interesting point. How would you feel if you caught your child? Let it go? Yell at them?
If you do/would do the latter...weird to punish your kid if you smoke yourself?

I did and I let it go - why should I do any different - I told her she was as stupid as I was when I started, but if she enjoyed smoking and if she got something out of it then so be it. The only time I ever said anything negative about her smoking was when she "needed" a cigarette before we got on a train, and I looked at her and said - 'no you don't - I've been smoking since I was 14 and smoke a lot, but I don't "need" to have a cigarette just because I'm going to be on a train for an hour and cannot smoke. If you cannot go an hour without a smoke then it is time to stop.'  She quit two months ago and I'm proud of her for that, because she wasn't smoking for pleasure.

My sister also smokes and she has this attitude:  everyone tells us that all smokers want to quit, or would quit if they could, if they had the will power, if they weren't so adicted - and we all nod sagely and agree with them because we know the harm that cigarettes do and of course we don't want to die and all that bollocks ...but my sister would not agree with them, she says if she wanted to quit she would quit, she smokes because she enjoys smoking - and deep down I suspect many smokers know that. The first cigarette of the day is not an adiction because I don't wake up "gasping" for a cigarette - I don't smack the alarm and instantly light-up - I get up, shower, make a cup of tea, feed the cats, have breakfast, prepare pack lunches, post on here, check the mail, get dressed, prepare for work... at some point in the last 15 minutes of that 90 minute sequence I might have a cigarette, or I might wait until I get to work (I rarely smoke in the car and never on a short journey) - the adiction bit, the withdrawl, kicks in much later than that - days, even weeks perhaps.
What?
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 19:00
I think we are all made up differently. I can smoke 10 a day for 3 weeks and then not go near one for 2 years....honest. Now a drink on the other hand.....3 weeks tops. I personally believe all addictions are mind related. If I wanted my lungs to make decisions I would be running every day......
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 02:34
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

The first cigarette of the day is not an adiction because I don't wake up "gasping" for a cigarette - I don't smack the alarm and instantly light-up - I get up, shower, make a cup of tea, feed the cats, have breakfast, prepare pack lunches, post on here, check the mail, get dressed, prepare for work... at some point in the last 15 minutes of that 90 minute sequence I might have a cigarette

Yup, I can relate to that - up, loo, shower, kettle on, BBC news on ("what IS she wearing?" moment), feed cats before they begin to gnaw on my bare feet (I am wearing a dressing gown btw), make coffee, convince Vicky what she's wearing is fine & her hair looks great, fall over cats, clean up cat vomit (Baggins always eats too quickly in the morning & 50% of the time deposits it onto the kitchen floor), iron shirt, get dressed, fall over cats (now asleep at top of stairs)... then 1st ciggie & coffee of the day - and it is good!

One of my (smoking) friends once told me the only thing a cigarette does is make you want the next one; not sure I go with that sentiment 100% but I know where he's coming from - when I get up, a cigarette is far from being my 1st thought.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 04:26
I quit in january. I had a relapse one saturday afternoon, where I had a bit of a meltdown and smoked ten in a row. It was a wierd day. Things were not good..

That was a little under two months back, and I've not relapsed since. I carry an e-cig around with me and some nico gum, but I'm using both less and less. I never want to smoke again. Apart from anything else, I can't justify the expense.

Oh, and I was never a 'light up first thing in the morning' smoker. Never understood how anyone could do that, before eating drinking etc..

Edited by Blacksword - May 25 2012 at 04:27
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 04:28
^I had a friend who did that.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 05:17
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

^I had a friend who did that.

What, relapsed after quitting?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 05:22
^Smoked very first thing. In bed before he got up actually.LOL
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 06:05
In 1993 my Dad had a good portion of one lung removed from cancer.  He spent 1-2 weeks in the hospital as I recall, had a terribly painful recovery.  The one upside was that he swore off the smokes and had a two week jump, because of course he couldn't smoke in the lung recovery ward.  It was a hard time but a good time as a family. 

When we took him home we stopped at pizza place and had good meal after the terrible hospital food.  As we were paying the bill, Dad wandered off to the bathroom and had a smoke.  I guess at that point I realized that cigs are more important than anything for some people.  As many of you know he died last year, from COPD.  An absolutely wonderful man, but he couldn't put them down. 

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 06:11
^very sad story.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 06:13
I forgot about this:

The Original Stovetop Smoker
LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 06:37
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

^Smoked very first thing. In bed before he got up actually.LOL

Yeah, I've known people who do that. I don't think it's that uncommon.

My father would sometimes wake up in the middle of the night and light up. He died at 56 with lung cancer, when I was 16. The official diagnosis was 'mesothalioma' which is cancer caused by exposure to asbestos, but I suspect the ciggies would have got him in the end. Both his parents die of smoking related cancers.

Evil habit...
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 06:46
^yeah. I started  quite late too. About 18 I was and had got past any peer pressure age. I know why I started. I used to work on an ice cream van( actually general shop van really) and used to "knick" ciggies because others did. That's when I started.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 07:50
One of my grandmas smoked for most of her life, until she was 90-something. She died at 103 a few years ago, a strong, clever and wonderful woman. She also had the habit of having a cup of cognac after every meal.

She died just of oldness, not because of her smoking or anything in particular. She was a very religious (catholic) woman and 3 years before her only son (my uncle) died (her daughter my mother had also died long before when I was 6), she carried on but you could feel that it was not the same, she thought it was not right to outlive all of her children. She was still healthy and being over 100 years old she still took a small stroll and went to mass every day, but at some point she said "I have lived enough, I want god to take me with him" and very shortly afterwards she died.

My girlfriend's dad smoked when he was young but quitted at some point, since he was 45 he has been very sick of COPD but the reason is not his smoking, he worked in a glass workshop and it's the glass dust that has ruined his life.

By this I don't mean to deny that smoking hurts, but there are many other factors that govern our lives.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2012 at 07:49
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2012 at 09:31
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

love this movie so much.

My grandfather died of lung cancer when I was 8. He smoked since he was 16 and died when he was 81. He stopped smoking one year before he died, but it was much too late. While not dying particularly young, he was very weak physically for the last 20 years of his life. Barely got out of the house or even out of his bed.
There be dragons
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2012 at 16:48
For those who smoke, how old were you, what year was it, and why on earth did you start?
My brother, 14 years younger than me, started in late high school (just over 10 years ago).  It absolutely perplexed me, as when he was younger he appeared to be "allergic" to it.
I can never get a straight answer from him as to why he started, and continues to this day.
I just can't see how anyone in the last 30 years could start.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2012 at 18:49
Many years ago I was intending to take up smoking as I told my dad I wanted to be cool like him as he smoked. He told me he would quit immediately if I promised not to smoke. I kept my promise and he kept his. That is one thing I will be eternally grateful for. Dad is gone now, not from cancer but drinking excessively had a lot to do with it. He had brain seizures and last year I received the phone call that he was dying. I knew he was ill but this was more serious so I began to drive on the long 5 hour journey to the hospital. I did not even get half way when my wife called me and told me he had passed away. I was parked on the side of the highway and I had never cried so much in my life. I would like to dedicate the absence of cigarettes in my life to my dear father who had a heart of gold and will always have my deepest respect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>