Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPeter Gabriel announces North America Tour

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Peter Gabriel announces North America Tour
    Posted: May 24 2012 at 07:43
Hi everyone,

Tony Levin announced that this fall will see a Gabriel US tour, text and dates from his site follow: hopefully this means Manu Katche back on the throne too!

Here's some big news: Peter Gabriel has just announced that in September there will be a band tour commemorating the 25th anniversary of the SO album.
It'll be Canada and the U.S, and it will have much of the backup band that did the original tour, 25 years ago!.

The tour name is Back to Front and I've got the current confirmed tour dates below on this page. (there may be a few more coming.)
I don't think tickets are on sale yet - this is just the first announcement of the tour.

Sept 16   Quebec City / Colisee Pepsi
Sept 18   Montreal / Bell Centre
Sept 19   Toronto / Air Canada Centre
Sept 21   Philadelphia / Wells Fargo Centre
Sept 24   Boston / TD Garden
Sept 26   Detroit / Palace of Auburn Hills
Sept 27   Chicago / United Center
Sept 30   Denver / Red Rocks
Oct 2   San Jose / HP Pavillion
Oct 5   Las Vegas / Planet Hollywood Showroom
Oct 6   Los Angeles / Hollywood Bowl
Oct 9   Santa Barbara / County Bowl
More dates as they are confirmed

Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 08:35
Good news yet it seems new music has dried upUnhappy Would imagine this tour would be great though, reviving the who So album. I see the song " Big Time" now forms a new Samsung advert here in the USA
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 09:09
im hoping Pete just needed to get some middle aged BS out of his system with the orchestra, and now perhaps will be revivified by working with the great musicians he has always assembled and generate something new
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 09:24

Hopefully he makes it the Pacific Northwest........

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 10:10
Oh please please please add Pittsburgh.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 10:37
Not to mention the UK...

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 12:18
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Not to mention the UK...

This.

Let's hope for some new material as well.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 17:19
Hopefully seeing Pete in Toronto on Sept 19th. He always puts on excellent shows. Thumbs Up
Lark the Starless View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 17:43
Hopefully I'll see him in LA.

Anyone know the touring lineup?
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 18:25
Phil
Mike
Tony
Steve

just kidding.....ahh what a band. I am sure PG will have top notch line ups

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 18:38
It's a bit strange... or frustrating, that Gabriel would choose a nostalgia trip with one of his own solo older albums... but just won't go far enough to do the same with his time on Genesis. I would be much more interested in attending a Steve Hackett show if he would come around to doing his Genesis Revisited tour.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 18:48
^ vary valid I am amazed that PG never has let rip live with some of the Genesis material. He has got so much to be proud of from that era.

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 19:48
He's pretty much turned his back on all solo stuff from the '70's as well as with Genesis.  I don't get this trashing of his orchestral thing.  I have the DVD of that and it's quite good.  I'd rather there be a long break between albums rather than put something out just because he's expected to.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 03:31
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

It's a bit strange... or frustrating, that Gabriel would choose a nostalgia trip with one of his own solo older albums... but just won't go far enough to do the same with his time on Genesis.

One way to look at it is he was with Genesis for about 5 years & he's been a solo artist for about 36/37 years (even the Milton Keynes one-off Genesis reunion was 30 years ago now); much as we'd all like him to revisit some of what we consider to be his glory era, I think PG considers it all to be part of a different long ago life.

I love the solo material & really enjoyed the orchestral show last year (stunning evening!), but as yet, I've never seen him with a band except on the 'Secret World' DVD.

Really hope he announces a UK tour.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 11:19

It's a bit strange... or frustrating, that Gabriel would choose a nostalgia trip with one of his own solo older albums... but just won't go far enough to do the same with his time on Genesis.

One way to look at it is he was with Genesis for about 5 years & he's been a solo artist for about 36/37 years (even the Milton Keynes one-off Genesis reunion was 30 years ago now); much as we'd all like him to revisit some of what we consider to be his glory era, I think PG considers it all to be part of a different long ago life.

I love the solo material & really enjoyed the orchestral show last year (stunning evening!), but as yet, I've never seen him with a band except on the 'Secret World' DVD.

He is brilliant, Jim, and well worth the trip.

You are spot on re the Genesis stuff as well. He was doing this first time out I saw him (couple of tracks from the Lamb), but since about 1980, none whatsoever, and rightly so IMHO. 
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
DomValela View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 19:15
I'm going to see the Montreal show...so, it's confirmed that Levin will be there?!
...all around, all around, all around, all around...
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 21:11
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

He is brilliant, Jim, and well worth the trip.
You are spot on re the Genesis stuff as well. He was doing this first time out I saw him (couple of tracks from the Lamb), but since about 1980, none whatsoever, and rightly so IMHO. 

Well, since I've not hear anything from him solo, and love his work with Genesis, I'm very partial towards wanting to hear that material. And I'm not really so much interested in looking into his solo material, at least not in the near future, since as a matter of fact I've never been much of a fan of his way of singing, and The Lamb is my least favourite of his albums with Genesis (and I understand he sort of went this way), and I understand he never went back to doing the long, epic, symphonic stuff again, which is all I love of his albums with Genesis. On the other hand, I may be a bit interested in the description of some of his work as world music.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2012 at 06:29

he's been a solo artist for about 36/37 years

I never thought about it that way.  Makes me feel old. LOL

My last Gabriel show was the Secret World tour (still have the t-shirt).  You know, I've been to many stadium scale shows in my day but they just aren't worth the ticket price.  The thing I remember most was after the show the MARTA train I was on broke down in a tunnel and it was packed with fans.  We all had to get out and walk to the next station.  That is weird on so many levels...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2012 at 20:45

Not to mention So was 10 times more successful than all of those albums he did with Genesis combined. Wink Might have a lot to do with it. 

I am taking a pass on this one.  I do not like the Hollywood Bowl.  I saw Genesis last tour there and Peter's scratch my back tour in 2010 there.  if you can't get into the first two sections you seat on an aluminum bench and are packed together like sardines on it.  Just a very uncomfortable experience and it ruins the quality of the show.  Oh and tickets for those first two sections will be $150 and up. Sorry not this time. 

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Los_Endos View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 13:38
I'll pass. A Genesis setlist would get me to go though...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>