Topic ClosedYou like, I dislike

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 15:53
Originally posted by areazione areazione wrote:

Why is Krautrock usually as joyful and pleasent as a bbq in a desecrated cemetery eating rotten meat baking at midday's summer sun?

LOLLOL
LOL
The_Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 16:30
< ="" ="text/" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">

Why are Sigur Ros more famous than either Magellan and Explorers Club? I need one single reason, no more.

It's sad to say but probably the look.

But seriously it's probably because Sigur Ros is more comercial.
La victoire est éphémère mais la gloire est éternelle!

- Napoléon Bonaparte
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 16:32

And i don't understand the success of Led Zeppelin. I don't completely dislike their music but it's really badly produced and performed.

- Napoléon Bonaparte
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 17:16
Originally posted by The_Jester The_Jester wrote:

And i don't understand the success of Led Zeppelin. I don't completely dislike their music but it's really badly produced and performed.

I think a big appeal of Led Zeppelin is the general sloppiness.
Master of Time View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 17:18
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Most bands in any of the metal categories ultimately bore me.  It is exciting for one song, then it all starts to sound the same.  This includes older classic bands as well as newer ones, notably Porcupine Tree, Opeth, and Metallica.

The album We're Only in it for the Money is mostly random noise and has no artistic value.  The same goes for Trout Mask Replica.

Kobaian simply sounds like a mix between German and French, no big deal.  And what is the point of singing in a language nobody else knows?

Radiohead is dull and Sigur Ros is coma inducing.

Tool does what they do very well but they only do three or four things, so after three or four songs they repeat themselves.  They also repeat themselves in all of their songs.  This all ends up with a lot of repetetion.

I wish Dream Theater would stop showing off and just play some songs.  Ones that don't sound like Metallica.  Their lyrics are sophmoric.

Zappa wallowed in way too much juvenalia.

Blackmore's Night is for tween girls, not the demographic I belong to.

Steve Morse has been playing the same guitar solo for 25 years.  Granted, it is a good one, but still.

Anybody can listen to what they want for whatever reasons they want.  That is not anybody else's decision.  These are just some of my negative views.

I agree with most everything you said here except I don't really know anything about Zappa, I like some occasional Sigur Ros, I love Kobaian, and the only person I know that listens to Blackmore's Night is 53, and a man.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 17:42
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Originally posted by The_Jester The_Jester wrote:

I think a big appeal of Led Zeppelin is the general sloppiness.

I would take this kind of  sloppiness everyday!
Zombywoof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 17:45
I don't like Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, and I find that Gentle Giant's albums after "In a Glass House" are really lame.

There, I said it.
Continue the prog discussion here: http://zombyprog.proboards.com/index.cgi ...
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 17:52
Having thought about it, I don't like how overrated Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson in general are. I like The PT albums I have, but I don't think they're the greatest band to grace our ears in the last 20 years (or since the 70s). Having said that, I don't understand the hype surrounding Grace For Drowning, as I find the album to be too depressing, PT's recent albums are much better (and the early albums even more).
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 17:54
I dislike when people take a genre of music (or artist) and say "it all sounds the same." I mean it's one thing if you can back it up with real facts (all the songs by this artist start in the same key, or similar chord progressions, etc.) but usually it's just an excuse for them to slam on something they don't like and say their own favorites are superior. And it's lame.
Zombywoof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 18:29
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Having thought about it, I don't like how overrated Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson in general are. I like The PT albums I have, but I don't think they're the greatest band to grace our ears in the last 20 years (or since the 70s). Having said that, I don't understand the hype surrounding Grace For Drowning, as I find the album to be too depressing, PT's recent albums are much better (and the early albums even more).

Goes to show you how different two people who love similiar music can be. I don't like most PT ("Fear of a Blank Planet" is my favorite, though), but I like GfD a lot.
Continue the prog discussion here: http://zombyprog.proboards.com/index.cgi ...
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 19:33
I particularly dislike Peter Gabriel's singing.

There, just the favourite singer from this forum, and one among my very least favourites in prog.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 19:37
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I particularly dislike Peter Gabriel's singing.

There, just the favourite singer from this forum, and one among my very least favourites in prog.

That's interesting but why don't you like his voice? And who's your favorite singer?

- Napoléon Bonaparte
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 21:11
There's not too many works I really dislike, but when I do, oh boy.

I'm really not to fond of Lumpy Gravy or Filmore East, June '71, both by Frank Zappa and both of which were flat out boring. The ideas in the former were done much better with We're Only In It For The Money and Uncle Meat and the latter with Overnite Sensation, Sheik Yerbouti and Joe's Garage.

Mirror Man by Captain Beefheart. Really don't see why Lester Bangs thought this was much better than the live disc of Cream's Wheels Of Fire; at one point, Bangs said that the Magic Band's jamming was better and more varied than Cream's. I don't hear it. "Tarotplane" and "Mirror Man" drag just as much as the Fire versions of "Spoonful" and "Toad" and have just as little variation. I will admit that "Kandy Korn" is funny and "25th Century Quaker" is a decent foreshadowing of Can's minimalistic styled work, but the other two tracks I can do without, other than to show why Beefheart's songs weren't meant to pass the 10-mintue mark.

More by Pink Floyd. Half the album is brillaint ("Main Theme", "Cirrus Minor", "NIle Song", "Ibiza Bar", "Green Is The Color", "Cymbaline"), while the other half is either inconsequential or, in the case of "Quicksilver", a total waste of time.

Valleys Of Neptune by Jimi Hendrix. A subpar compilation of outtakes, especially when compared to First Rays Of The New Rising Sun and South Saturn Delta; in fact, the title track of Neptune could have just been put into one of the other two works.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 23:05

Neo-prog in all of its variants. From Marillion to Transatlantic (which I consider as such), with anything in between.  Apart from Dark Matter by IQ. Not sure why yet. Just pop music with odd times but without Michael Jackson dancing.

Beatles and the hippie ongoing wave of late symphonic prog coming from that style. Pretending to smoke pot while playing doesn't make you look either smarter or cooler.

DT lovers and detractors alike. For gods sake, they're just musicians not white-robbed tax-free priests to kneel down to or to burn at stake as medieval spanish inquisitors.

Growling singers: not that I hate them, I just don't understand what they're vomiting off their mouth. I'm an old-school man. I prefer understanding rather than accepting passively. Just provide subtitles for the audience. That would be appreciated by many.

Endless songs or suite which could be easily condensed in a much shorter version. What's the point in annoying listeners for 30 minutes long if you can do it in less than 30 seconds? Counter-example: light of day, day of darkness by Green Carnation is 1 hour long. I need more, at least 2 hours of that. No breaks in between.

Geddy Lee's voice. Chris Squire's bass sound. James LaBrie's wrong notes. Genesis without Peter Gabriel.
Neil Peart's hats.

Why is Krautrock usually as joyful and pleasent as a bbq in a desecrated cemetery eating rotten meat baking at midday's summer sun?

Why are Sigur Ros more famous than either Magellan and Explorers Club? I need one single reason, no more.

I'm done. Thanks for the attention.

Thanks for the good laugh!! Clap  I disagree with some of what you said (I've always like Squire's bass sound, as a fellow plectrum-using, Rotosound-strumming Rick player) , but your comments on Kraut Rock are as true as mustard on bratwurst!   
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 23:42
Originally posted by Master of Time Master of Time wrote:

I agree with most everything you said here except I don't really know anything about Zappa, I like some occasional Sigur Ros, I love Kobaian, and the only person I know that listens to Blackmore's Night is 53, and a man.
Well, there are exceptions to every rule.  Wink  Just some quick views on my part, not always thought through or deeply.  I deeply respect Zappa and like a lot of his music, there are just some aspects of it I don't care for.  Rather than just spew out a few names, I thought I would provide some more color to my thoughts.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
areazione View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2012 at 08:55
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Thanks for the good laugh!! Clap  I disagree with some of what you said (I've always like Squire's bass sound, as a fellow plectrum-using, Rotosound-strumming Rick player) , but your comments on Kraut Rock are as true as mustard on bratwurst!   

Cheers.

I'm in deep love and left myself in astonishing awe when I hear Carl Thompson and Zon's sound, as far as bass is concerned. I can't stand Rickenbacker's, as you may imagine by now. I then believe my dislike towards Squire is related somehow to its bass, rather his technique. To be honest though all bassists that I love do not use pick at all.

By the way, mustard reminds me of another group that I do not appreciate too much: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_Matter_Custard
Umbra profunda sumus, ne nos vexetis, inepti; non vos, sed doctos tam grave quaerit opus
coolerking View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2012 at 09:17
I like Greenslade.

I very much dislike Pentateuch of the Cosmogeny, which sounds like the incidental music from a children's drama series about silvery kids from outer space who come to Earth to set up a cosmic disco.

Edited by coolerking - May 29 2012 at 09:18
N-sz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2012 at 09:25
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

I dislike when people take a genre of music (or artist) and say "it all sounds the same." I mean it's one thing if you can back it up with real facts (all the songs by this artist start in the same key, or similar chord progressions, etc.) but usually it's just an excuse for them to slam on something they don't like and say their own favorites are superior. And it's lame.

I think a good deal of bands from the same genre will sound the same at first. Like when an album grows on you, a genre can also grow on you because you start to notice the details and subtleties. When I heard Khan's "Space Shanty," I thought, "Ugh, this all sounds the same! Progressive rock is lame." Then it grew on me and I started listening to more progressive rock.

Edited by N-sz - May 29 2012 at 09:26
ColonelClaypool View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2012 at 09:46
I haven't heard a single Power Metal band yet that I've liked, and I particularly dislike Nightwish and DragonForce.
I haven't heard a single rap/hip-hop artist yet that I've liked.
I dislike generic, washed-out modern r'n'b.

I dislike Dream Theater-style prog metal.
I dislike Gavin Harrison-era Porcupine Tree.
I like growled vocals.
I absolutely love having a baby boy at home.
With magic, you can turn a frog into a prince.
With science, you can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with.
areazione View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2012 at 10:15
Originally posted by ColonelClaypool ColonelClaypool wrote:

I haven't heard a single Power Metal band yet that I've liked, and I particularly dislike Nightwish and DragonForce.

I portray Power Metal guys and dolls as grown up rednecks (of any culture, race, colour, religion, height, weight, sexual inclination, doesn't matter) educated enough to play an instrument apart from door bells. Unfortunately, power metal is quite a strong wave in Finland and Germany, not particularly well renowned in the world for their, how can I put it to avoid ambiguity, sophisticated style. Try to imagine: mullet, flip flops plus white socks, low-quality shorts and undershirt German guy driving an overtuned second hand car listening to stratovarious. (no offense to Germans, I love them. I'm Italian...ok, that was a bad joke)

I haven't heard a single rap/hip-hop artist yet that I've liked.

In my humble opinion (lie, but I try to be diplomatic as much as possible) there's one part in a billion that stands on the shoulders of giants: Arrested development. Do you know them? If not, give them a try. Profound lyrics, strong connection to their own culture, great respect for elders. Perhaps there exist many more out there. But hey, we're just human beings.

I dislike generic, washed-out modern r'n'b.

I thought it was illegal to play rnb in boreal hemisphere. I could be wrong.

Edited by areazione - May 29 2012 at 10:19
Umbra profunda sumus, ne nos vexetis, inepti; non vos, sed doctos tam grave quaerit opus
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>