Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHenry Cow vs. Fred Frith

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Who's output you like more??
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
11 [68.75%]
5 [31.25%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Henry Cow vs. Fred Frith
    Posted: May 27 2012 at 14:43
Well? Is it the band that pioneered RIO, or the band's guitarist and his solo career.

My vote goes for Mr. Frith's solo stuff. While Henry Cow were boundary pushing, I feel as if Frith experimented and managed to meld successful songwriting. That is, in the albums with songs LOL
There be dragons
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2012 at 14:59
The Cow.

Frith's discog has some great stuff in it but some less than exciting stuff (for my tastes). The only thing I find par about the Cow is IPOL...which has improved to me last time I listened to it.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2012 at 15:11
I haven't heard enough of Fred Frith's "solo" output to comfortably vote, but I sure do love Henry Cow.

Edited by Logan - May 27 2012 at 15:12
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2012 at 15:44
I really only *love* one Henry Cow album, and that's Western Culture (not that I dislike the other three at all).

Fred Frith, on the other hand, has given me countless hours of musical delight.  I vote Fred without hesitation.

Frippism: you're not going to believe this, but....

I was planning on starting a Fred Frith thread today too.  I own (and love) Gravity, Speechless, Cheap at 1/2 the Price, Step Across the Border,  and Technology of Tears, but that's it. Plus the two records he did with French Frith Kaiser and Thompson, and the Massacre album with Maher and Laswell.   I gather that a lot of his other releases are improvisatory in nature, and I'm not really interested in hearing much more of that (fun though they are to watch on stage), and I was wondering if there were any other solo albums I've missed which take advantage of his compositional side.

Any recs?
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2012 at 15:49
I vote Herny Cwo, but I barely ever want to listen to either
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2012 at 15:54
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I really only *love* one Henry Cow album, and that's Western Culture (not that I dislike the other three at all).

Fred Frith, on the other hand, has given me countless hours of musical delight.  I vote Fred without hesitation.

Frippism: you're not going to believe this, but....

I was planning on starting a Fred Frith thread today too.  I own (and love) Gravity, Speechless, Cheap at 1/2 the Price, Step Across the Border,  and Technology of Tears, but that's it. Plus the two records he did with French Frith Kaiser and Thompson, and the Massacre album with Maher and Laswell.   I gather that a lot of his other releases are improvisatory in nature, and I'm not really interested in hearing much more of that (fun though they are to watch on stage), and I was wondering if there were any other solo albums I've missed which take advantage of his compositional side.

Any recs?

OK seriously stop reading my brain.

I've already started a Frith thread some time ago but it seems to have disappeared into the unknown...

One album I've getting into lately is called "Dropera" by Fred & Ferd (I do not know who Ferd is). It's all sung in French and is rather delightful weird ass post punk. 

Prints I've started listening to and is pretty good. Another composition based album only this one's from 2002. 

I too would rather just watch him improvise on stage rather than listen to the CDs...

Also his live album with live band "Keep The Dog" is one of the best live album's I've ever heard.

But I think I too need to expand my collection of his stuff even more.
There be dragons
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2012 at 17:24
I love everything the man does.  Voted solo on the basis that there is more material.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2012 at 17:36
Originally posted by frippism frippism wrote:

Well? Is it the band that pioneered RIO, or the band's guitarist and his solo career.

My vote goes for Mr. Frith's solo stuff. While Henry Cow were boundary pushing, I feel as if Frith experimented and managed to meld successful songwriting. That is, in the albums with songs LOL

ddf  s  \]\]                                                                                   nmnm,nm   ff

I just experimented by pouring a bit of red wine on my keyboard and tryied to lick it up with my tongue.  That was the result.  Am I not amazing?  (A lot got on my spacebar)

99% of experimentation results in Thumbs Down

I do not praise experimentation for the sake of experimentation.  I praise the one percent.

Yep.  That last statement in the USA will get taken right the hell out of context.  Approve

Edited by Epignosis - May 27 2012 at 17:36
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2012 at 23:26
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Originally posted by frippism frippism wrote:

ddf  s  \]\]                                                                                   nmnm,nm   ff

I just experimented by pouring a bit of red wine on my keyboard and tryied to lick it up with my tongue.  That was the result.  Am I not amazing?  (A lot got on my spacebar)

99% of experimentation results in Thumbs Down

I do not praise experimentation for the sake of experimentation.  I praise the one percent.

Yep.  That last statement in the USA will get taken right the hell out of context.  Approve

Occupy Rob's music :O
There be dragons
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 08:29
I'm confused, is Fred Frith or Henry Cow the fictional person? LOL

Would you believe that for all the solo Frith albums I have I have yet to have a Cow.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 19:32
^In that case I would say, "have a Cow man!"
Magma America Great Make Again
EA View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 10:56
for what it's worth  (I'm unable to post on the gigs forum)

Fred Frith will be playing a solo concert in Austin, Texas on Feb. 1, 2014 at The North Door  courtesy of Epistrophy Arts
 Post Reply Post Reply