Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPhideaux new album "Infernal", latest news

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 08:12
Yes, my eternal and fluid friend, various Mogon releases might and will have Valerie on them.  Mogon, to be perfectly honest, might have had something to do with my "solo" project morphing into a 10 piece band.  After that, it became a point of interested to make albums with those ten people.  And when you have 10 people participating in a project one must create music suitable for 10 people to be involved in.  BUT, it is hard to involve that many people in any coherent project and to sustain that without the inevitable issues of some people feeling very included and others not so much.  So, Mogon is a way to create music that isn't shackled to that way of thinking.  Mogon was discovered when I made The Chairs during the recording session for Snowtorch.  We had a small group of folks and they keyboard player had to leave early and I sent drummer and bassist from the room and set about to write a new song.  I let them back into the studio after 20 min and briefly explained the song and then we did 2 takes, the second of which you hear in the compilation.  After we heard the playback, I enjoyed the result and thought "this isn't Phideaux music it's...  Mogon!"  The word popped into my head and I decided to google it to find out what I could about it.  There was nothing (this was 2010) and the closest thing was a word "Mogons" or Moguns which referred to a God in Europe, but that wasn't what the same spelling.  But, as the word looks "strong" and sounded neutral enough, I started to get an idea that I could create music that was more minimal and "small" in scope and release it under this name.  Thus was born the "band" Mogon.  
Morsenator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 08:06
It's nice that there's so much music coming Tongue Keep on proggin'!
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 10:37
Originally posted by Phideaux Phideaux wrote:

As for iphone apps, I will have to investigate that.  However, it's hard enough getting the albums made, that i imagine it would be hard to coordinate additional media outreach!

As before, should an idea hit you for an app you'd like to make reality, I'd gladly help out with the code side of things (time permitting)
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 13:14
Hi there Phideaux, kind of you to be here to answer all our questions. Thumbs Up

Maybe I haven't read this thread thoroughly enough, but I can't find a release date for Infernal. I'm not much for downloading, so I'm looking forward to the CD.
guitaroulis View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 17:12
Great news!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looking forward to vinyl releases from Phideaux/MogonWink. Snowtorch was a great album. Still is!!!! Is there any hope for vinyl release of the previous albums? I am curious how the side project will sound. By the way, there is a German band called Mogon (Death Metal gerne, or something like that).
Phideaux View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 17:15
Is there a German death metal band?  When did they start?  Certainly not when I googled the name a couple years ago...   We would love to put the albums out in vinyl, but we haven't really sold many vinyl and I don't really want to have 482 copies of all my albums lying around!!!  Except that vinyl sounds so great.  I was amazed to hear the difference between Snowtorch vinyl vs. cd.  Some of the CD was punchier and the LP wasn't as good close to the center, but the first part of each side was sublime!

Infernal has no real release date because we're only just beginning to record it in July/August and things take a long time to complete here in the land of Phideaux...
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 17:21
yep, here's the youtube search. I think the year is 2011. I just came into it when i read about your project. I think it won't be difficult to tell the difference between the two bands :-D

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mogon&oq=mogon&aq=f&aqi=g7g-s2g-m1&aql=&gs_l=youtube.3..0l7j0i10l2j0i5.943.2917.0.3175.5.5.0.0.0.0.251.733.1j3j1.5.0...0.0.6bcppi1q0eU
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 17:25

Infernal has no real release date because we're only just beginning to record it in July/August and things take a long time to complete here in the land of Phideaux...

LOL 

Ok.
Just keep us informed when it's time to place an order, please.

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 17:29
I have snowtorch only in vinyl, so i don't know how the cd sounds. But I think the cd oughts to be punchier, as the mastering in cds is usually more compressed and flat accross the frequency spectrum. The great advantage of vinyl though is  dynamics and warmth, especially in analog recordings. Anyway, no matter the media, can't wait for the releases!!!!!!!!
Phideaux View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 19:14
well, since we mastered both the vinyl and the CD ourselves (we didn't cut the vinyl, but we provided the compressed, etc. files) I can say there was nothing added to the CD in mastering (in terms of loudness and compression).  Our goal was to keep it as natural as possible.   And the vinyl cutter only applied whatever EQ curve is necessary for vinyl, so it was the same source for both.  So, in that sense it was fascinating to hear the difference in sound.
LiquidEternity View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 20:18
Yeah, a bit of research shows that Mogon is a nobody black metal band that black metal fans don't like. I think you're gonna win this fight, Phid. Tongue

PS I love the horns on Snuff. Really working for me.

PPS while we're here, did anyone pick up the Number Seven remaster? I have the original release and love it quite immensely, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing out on anything extra. Because as things have settled over the years, I'm pretty sure N7 is sitting as the top of my Phideaux rankings.

Edited by LiquidEternity - June 15 2012 at 20:20
In Prog We Trust View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 22:01
Good Friday evening Phideax and fellow proggers.  With the talk about the vinyl releases, have you kicked around the idea of releasing anything in your back catalog in 5.1 surround sound?  The discs that are done well with this separation are tremendous.  The Phideaux soundscapes would be tailor made for the surround experience!

Also, can you give a bit of background about the Supermorpher song?

Finally, starved for anything and everything Phideaux, I picked up a copy of Friction from an Amazon seller.  It is an interesting listen and I rather enjoy hearing the foundation of your greatness.  

Hope you have a terrific weekend.  In Prog We Trust
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 23:33
Originally posted by LiquidEternity LiquidEternity wrote:

Yeah, a bit of research shows that Mogon is a nobody black metal band that black metal fans don't like. I think you're gonna win this fight, Phid. Tongue

PS I love the horns on Snuff. Really working for me.

PPS while we're here, did anyone pick up the Number Seven remaster? I have the original release and love it quite immensely, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing out on anything extra. Because as things have settled over the years, I'm pretty sure N7 is sitting as the top of my Phideaux rankings.

I also have the original and I don't see any noticeable difference between the original and the remaster, they are quite subtle (you can listen to the remastered version on Phideaux' Bandcamp).
Phideaux View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2012 at 00:35
Liquid, when N7 came out I was very alarmed at its sound.  I thought it sounded brittle and somewhat like "tin foil".  I didn't understand how so many beautiful ingredients could go into a stew that tasted sour.  We did some research into analog mixing boards because I was convinced the digital domain was adding errors into the sound.  However, the boards that we wanted exceeded our budget.  We got some new (and costly) tube compressors and outboard gear for mastering and thenGabe, my producer, did some digging about mix thresholds in pro tools and we discovered that even though digidesign says that 0 = 0, when you add 78 tracks of real time mixing, the program makes approximations in its calculations and so degrades the final signal.  The solution, postulated some on the forum, was to mix at a very low level so that nothing would be worked too much to capacity and then bring up the final 2 track mix to 0. 

From this process we went back and remixed N7.  It solved the problem for me of the sour sound.  It was a very subtle difference, but an important one in achieving the sound we wanted.  If you send me a self addressed envelope I will slip a new disc in it and send it to you, liquid.  Then, you can hear it.

As for Mogon, I hope there isn't an issue, but to be honest I think we operate at such different spectrums that I don't anticipate many problems. 

As for Friction---  I'm starting to get very nostalgic for that album.  I'd like to "recreate" and "reinvent" that album using much of what's there in remixed form and by cutting one or two songs that I am not so into, plus re doing a few completely.

Supermorpher was a collaboration with my friend R. Weis, who is a sound designer and works with his own home made samples.  We sampled some sounds on an acoustic guitar (with a butter knife, inspired by Daevid Allen and Hillage) and then created this song together in sections.  I contributed a riff and then R. did the same and we orchestrated each other's parts.  It is a fun track, I really love the end because it's so transcendent. 

I was fortunate to produce an album of R. Weis called "Mystery Of The Egg" and supermorpher was on that album.  My intention when / if I release vinyl copies of my albums, is to get supermorpher onto side 4 of Ghost Story because it dates from that period.  It will also be possible for me to release it on a compilation of Phideaux in the future.

thanks for hunting that down.  I realized I didn't have a copy of it in L.A. a couple months ago and I was able to download it from Amazon.  That was so cool to realize that I could access my own work from a commercial site~!  Pretty humbling and cool.  Enjoy the night.
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2012 at 00:53
So, would you suggest investing in the remastered Number 7?  I guess I haven't noticed much in the way of issues with the sound of the album.  I usually jump on remastered versions of albums I really like, but since the remaster came out not too long after the original version and the original version didn't sound bad at all to me, I skipped over that one. 

A new version of Friction would be cool.  There was some sweet stuff on that, although there was also some filler (your writing and execution have definitely matured since then),   But still, it's definitely a worthwhile album and one that some reworking of could make it better.

By the way, listening now to the sampler.  Killer stuff.  Getting ready to start the live version of Chupacabras.  Really can't wait for 7 1/2 after hearing some of the tunes that will be on that one.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Phideaux View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2012 at 02:28
I don't suggest getting the "upgrade".  I only express that I felt the sound needed upgrading (and I'd sold out the first run and was ready to do the second).  But, remember, at the time we offered anyone a free swap out and we had the opportunity to keep the original and download a lossless version of the original.  I'll still send the link for that download to anyone who wants to burn their own copy of the new version.  I plan to do the same thing when we re-release Doomsday this summer.  We have been out of print on Fiendish and Doomsday for some time.  Ghost Story is about to go out of print as well.  All of these albums will be remixed/remastered for the new releases (which heretofore will come in mini LP sleeves like Snowtorch (with the original booklets).  So, I can't say that you'll have a different experience with N7.v2, but it's worth a S.A.S.E. to find out if you're in the US

Yeah, in terms of Friction, I'm glad you see the "pearls amidst the spoils".  I wouldn't say there was filler, per se, because there were plenty of things left off that album.  But, there is a "side three" quality to the latter mid section.  That has a bit of "enough already" to it before the album comes in for the conclusion.  I would cut some of that.  However, I also do enjoy some of the weird noise bits and might keep those...  We'll see...  I just "listened" to the live Chupacabras today and it brought tears to my eyes.  I really hadn't HEARD it before I was so busy making it, and commenting on the mix and asking Gabe to bring out this instrument (or bury that one if it made a blunder...).  So, to sit down and finally enjoy it was fun.  I got to listen to the parts that I don't normally concentrate on.  Fun.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2012 at 07:02

Yeah, in terms of Friction, I'm glad you see the "pearls amidst the spoils".  I wouldn't say there was filler, per se, because there were plenty of things left off that album.  But, there is a "side three" quality to the latter mid section.  That has a bit of "enough already" to it before the album comes in for the conclusion.  I would cut some of that.  However, I also do enjoy some of the weird noise bits and might keep those...  We'll see...  I just "listened" to the live Chupacabras today and it brought tears to my eyes.  I really hadn't HEARD it before I was so busy making it, and commenting on the mix and asking Gabe to bring out this instrument (or bury that one if it made a blunder...).  So, to sit down and finally enjoy it was fun.  I got to listen to the parts that I don't normally concentrate on.  Fun.

That live version of "Chupacabras" might be better than the studio version.

If you didn't know, "Cupacabras" was my introduction to Phideaux (well, "Okay," was, but okay LOL).
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2012 at 12:55
That was sort of what I meant, not so much filler I guess, but just that it seemed to drag in parts.  The latter mid section does sport my favorite song on the album though ("Claw the Land"), so don't remove that one if you do a reboot.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Phideaux View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 00:58
hahaha, no I shall not remove Claw The Land.  I like that one.  It was my version of "acoustic Swans"...  (p.s. to Epignosis, I loved your "okay" joke!)
guimabvue View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 09:37

We would love to put the albums out in vinyl, but we haven't really sold many vinyl and I don't really want to have 482 copies of all my albums lying around!!!  Except that vinyl sounds so great. 

You haven't sold many vinyl because of their released date, don't you think? Snowtorch have been released in CD around april 2011 and the vinyl came few month later. Maybe people didn't want to wait for it (or didn't know), and many bought the cd. I have wait for the vinyl because i love how it sounds, but i don't know if i will have bought it, if i'd already had Snowtorch in cd. (i don't know if it's enough clear, sorry for my english...)
So, I think if the cd and the vinyl are released in same time, you'll sell many more (it's just my opinion Wink).
Anyway I really hope that you can print more albums in vinyl!

I've just downloaded Supermorpher from CDBaby and i'm very surprised! It sounds very different from your own music, very electronic and experimental. But it's not bad at all!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>