Topic ClosedPhideaux new album "Infernal", latest news

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Phideaux new album "Infernal", latest news
    Posted: May 30 2012 at 12:55
Phideaux Xavier posted this on Facebook today:

Oh dear, I think we're back to a "double album" for Infernal. Some new songs came into being: Here's the new rundown... Some of the titles have changed:

Side One (21 min)
1. Cast Out And Cold
2. The Error Lives On
3. Inquisitor

Side Two (18 min)
4. We Only Have Eyes For You
5. Walk On Water
6. The Order Of Protection (Part One)

Side Three (18 min)
7. In Dissonance We Play
8. Prickle
9. Metro Deathfire
10. The Sleepers Awaken
11. The Order Of Protection (Part Two)

Side Four (20 min)
12. From Hydrogen To Love
13. Eternal

I'm excited to begin recording at the end of July. We've got the studio booked from July 28 til August 6, Mark, John, Gabe, Mat, Rich, Ariel and I will be toiling for 9 days...

The aim is to record as much of it "live" as possible (with overdubs to complete later). The vocals will be done a few weeks later, also as much live as possible so we can feed off each other's energy. A good deal of Snowtorch was recorded live and I thought there was some good energy in those performances.

Here's hoping this concluding chapter will cap things off nicely! (and I hope we can finish it in time for the end of the world in December...)
Morsenator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 13:37
Great! I have huge expectations for this one, hopefully they will be fulfilled Tongue
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 14:20
I like how he listed the tracks as if it were to be released on vinyl. It looks like it'll all fit on one CD anyway.
LiquidEternity View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 14:40
I've been waiting for this one for a while! Snowtorch is neat, but I'm really looking for more in the vein of Doomsday Afternoon and Number Seven.
Feuerbach View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 14:50
Finally!! and it's better than I expected!. (nearly hour and a half). After Snowtorch I felt so bad, thinking that infernal could be a short album, but this is crazy.  I believe in Phideaux, he can fulfill my expectations. Bowdown
Gallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 15:16
I really like the 'vinyl format', and I get rather annoyed at bands who release a 50 minute album on double. Grrrrrr

Anyway, I loved Snowtorch, so this will be great.
http://thedarkthird.bandcamp.com/
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 16:09
Snowtorch was my first Phideaux album, and so far the only one I have. I put Snowtorch in my top 5 2011 albums, so I'm looking forward to this, especially if it's related to Snowtorch.
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 16:28
Snowtorch was in my top 5 of last year too, Number Seven was probably my favorite album of 2009 and Doomsday Afternoon is one of the best records I've ever heard.

Yeah, I'm excited. Tongue

Good to hear this from Phideaux.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 18:21
Maybe one day he'll get around to completing that damn trilogy we were supposed to get. Angry LOL

Oh yeah, you think you can make us forget by making other great albums...Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Feuerbach View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 06:42
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Snowtorch was my first Phideaux album, and so far the only one I have. I put Snowtorch in my top 5 2011 albums, so I'm looking forward to this, especially if it's related to Snowtorch.

Really it's not related to Snowtorch, Infernal it's related to The Great Leap and Doomsday Afternoon , cause it's the third part of the trilogy about the end of the world. Snowtorch was a kind of "side album" he did, a masterpiece too. (sorry if my post it's so obvious or something, but I've assumed that you are refering Snowtorch as a part of the trilogy, sorry if I'm misunderstanding you)
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 09:27
^ excellent.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 09:28
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Maybe one day he'll get around to completing that damn trilogy we were supposed to get. Angry LOL

Oh yeah, you think you can make us forget by making other great albums...Tongue

See the post above yours.  This IS the completion of the trilogy, started with The Great Leap, then Doomsday Afternoon, competed with this album, Infernal.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 09:51
Originally posted by Feuerbach Feuerbach wrote:

Really it's not related to Snowtorch, Infernal it's related to The Great Leap and Doomsday Afternoon , cause it's the third part of the trilogy about the end of the world. Snowtorch was a kind of "side album" he did, a masterpiece too. (sorry if my post it's so obvious or something, but I've assumed that you are refering Snowtorch as a part of the trilogy, sorry if I'm misunderstanding you)

No it's fine, I was referring to Snowtorch. I'm not very knowledgeable about Phideaux, as I only have Snowtorch. Well, I guess I'm going to have to change that and get some of his back catalog, so I'm up to date when this new album comes out.
Feuerbach View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 10:18

No it's fine, I was referring to Snowtorch. I'm not very knowledgeable about Phideaux, as I only have Snowtorch. Well, I guess I'm going to have to change that and get some of his back catalog, so I'm up to date when this new album comes out.

Good! 

If you want to take a listen of his whole discography, he uploaded it free (best quality) on bandcamp: http://phideaux.bandcamp.com/ 

If you prefer to listen the "conceptual" albums, like Snowtorch (more classic structure, more 70's influence, long songs, etc..) I'll recommend you: Doomsday Afternoon (considered the best one by the fans, me too) -> Chupacabras ->  Number Seven

And, if you want to listen more "easy listening" or "art rock" (as he say) albums, with short unconnected songs: -> Ghost Story (my personal best of non-conceptual albums) -> 313 (recorded in one day!) -> The Great Leap -> Fiendish

I hope you enjoy the albums of one of the best crossover prog composers of the decade!.

By the way,  Phideaux opened last week a facebook page for his new band/side-project, Mogon: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mogon/416020898419459

Does it mean we could expect new releases soon?

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 10:28
^ Thanks for the help. I'll look into it all. I was thinking about going backwards chronologically.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 12:03
Gotta love an artist that lets you try before you buy.  I got interested when Doomsday came out.  That's why I keep making jokes about the trilogy.  The final album kept getting put on hold.  I got a big about half of his discography right away and then eased off.  Now I have everything and like to stay current. Big smile

Edited by Slartibartfast - May 31 2012 at 12:05

Monadology View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 17:39
Very exciting news! Thanks for posting it. Smile
Feuerbach View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 03:08
As I've supposed , with the opening of the official Facebook page ( http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mogon/416020898419459 ) , Phideaux have released yesterday a lot of info about Mogon! Seems that Phideaux wants to collapse the heart of his followers, in two days he have announced four albums!.

So that's the info:

As Xavier says on his FB , "Mogon is a fractal of Phideaux, containing the same members in smaller congregations. The music is more minimalist and simple, with an emphasis on lyrics and textures. We await the release of these two albums and the dawn of Mogon".

Here's the covers:

FIRST ALBUM - These Are Our True Faces

SECOND ALBUM: We Saw The World And It's Beautiful

If you want to listen some Mogon, there's one song released for the huge project "Decameron: Ten days in 100 Novellas" , the song is titled "Snuff", and if you search, google can fulfill your dreams LOL

P.S. - As I'm not a english native speaker, it's possible that my skills make my words a little bit cryptical, sorry in advance for the mistakes.

Edited by Feuerbach - June 01 2012 at 03:14
LiquidEternity View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 11:38
Whoa the heck. I am excessively curious now.
In Prog We Trust View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2012 at 17:21
Fantastic updates on Phideaux related items!  I have all the CDs and have 4 items in my iTunes collection.  A couple of suggestions.  1.  I downloaded the Decameron collection on Amazon's digital service because the 4 CD set was about $20, I believe half of what iTunes wants.  The Mogon song "Snuff" is excellent, well on the level of Phideaux material.  That makes me quite eager for 2 albums of Mogon material.  2.  I found a Phideaux related song on iTunes "supermorpher".  Search for Mystery of the Egg by R Weis, almost 9 minute song that is well worth adding to the collection.  3.  Sample the Dante's Purgatorio track on iTunes called "Strange Cloud(Canto XVI)".  This is an awesome 7.5 minute tune not on any of his albums.  Again well worth the 99 cents!  4.  Finally search "Tempest of Mutiny" on iTunes.  I believe this is a Phideaux song not found on the albums.  Eight minutes of a pure thrill ride worth every penny.  I have been impressed with the quality of all Phideaux's endeavors.  He is a guy that you can equate with quality much like Steven Wilson.  Hope this might provide some pleasure to discerning ears out there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>