Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRap influenced by prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2005 at 06:04
On a related front, Africa Bambaataa is often credited with creating the first electro/hip hop track when he released 'Planet Rock' (released in 1982) which sampled music from Kraftwerk's Trans Europe Express (released in 1977).

On reflection, the joining of two seemingly disparate styles is often what generates completely new genres (prog has such a fusion to thank for it's own existence). A stoke of genius on Africa Bambaataa's part IMO.

I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2005 at 06:11
There were crews which were creative almost on a prog level. I only know old school rap: Some of the "native tongue" groups, like De La Soul and Jungle Brothers were really trying to do something new. They didn't have the musical knowledge of the prog groups, but they were creative allright.  Dream Warriors, Gang Starr and Guru deserve to be mentioned well, I think. Some crews incorporated jazz, like the ones I mentioned (except De La Soul) but not prog I think.
coffeeintheface View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 17:49
Originally posted by Tony Tony wrote:

Thank you Progreviews for bringing some intelligence to this thread...

I second that.
OBQM: www.soundcloud.com/onebigquestionmark (solo project)
nQuixote: www.soundcloud.com/n-quixote (ambient + various musical ideas)
coffeeintheface View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 17:51
Originally posted by Tony Tony wrote:

Quote I absolutely hate rap and want to ban it, so don't get the wrong idea.

Gee, talk about openmindness....
Some rap is quite good. The knew Outkast cd was a concept album and it was very very good. It still is too...

Yeah, the stuff I heard off that album was awesome.
OBQM: www.soundcloud.com/onebigquestionmark (solo project)
nQuixote: www.soundcloud.com/n-quixote (ambient + various musical ideas)
Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 18:01
Originally posted by progreviews progreviews wrote:

There is an unfortunate tendency for prog fans to judge rap based on the stuff that they hear on the radio, which is obviously NOT the best the genre has to offer. Before you go and condemn the whole genre at least make the effort to seek out the good stuff. If you don't like it fine, but please don't judge it all based on the most mainstream stuff!

Anyways, there is a small bit of prog/rap crossover - the most obvious of which is the Faust vs. Dälek album called Derbe Respect Alder - which, yes, is a collaboration between Krautrock legends Faust and a hip-hop artist, Dälek. Dälek himself has released some great albums too - his latest Absence is nothing if not avant-garde. Other favorite hip-hop artists of mine, on the more experimental side, are Cannibal Ox and Anti-Pop Consortium.

Equally interestingly, there is a lot of free jazz/rap crossover going on these days. The best of these is a collaboration the aformentioned Anti-Pop Consortium did with free-jazz pianist Matthew Shipp, called (logically enough) Antipop vs. Matthew Shipp. Great stuff, combining challenging jazz with stream-of-consciousness rapping. Shipp has also collaborated with some hip-hoppy electronica producers on albums like Nu Bop and Equilibrium, and enlisted hip-hop producers El-P and Beans (formerly of Anti-Pop) in further collaborations. Really fascinating ground is being explored here, and it'd be a shame to write it off just because it's experimental in a different way that we're used to.

This post should be stickied, along with Syzygy's rebuttal of the 'OMG PUNK SOOO KILLED PROG' - fairytale. 
Fragile View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 19:14

Rap is an abomination.Angry I repeat an abomination.

Rap is an abomination.Angry I repeat an abominaton.
progreviews View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 10:54
For those few who are actually interested, since this thread originally started I've posted reviews on my website, Ground & Sky, of some of the albums I mentioned in my first post. The last two don't necessarily have much to do with hip-hop, actually; Nu Bop is more a jazz/electronica collaboration while El-P is a hip-hop producer but on High Water he basically turns purely to an interesting, accessible kind of avant-jazz. I'm linking to them anyway since I mention them in my original post.

Dälek - Absence
Faust vs. Dälek - Derbe Respect, Alder
Anti-Pop Consortium - Anti-Pop vs. Matthew Shipp
Matthew Shipp - Nu Bop
El-P - High Water
Kord View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 08:30
Why don't we ask to Wakeman or Howe if rap is influenced by prog?!?!?!
I already immagine the answer.....so don't talk just to open the mouth, folks!! I could seem close-minded, but rap and prog are two different things....at first prog is a genre of music, while rap is not music.....
[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5f/Genesis_Group.jpg" border">
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 08:37
Originally posted by Kord Kord wrote:

I could seem close-minded, but rap and prog are two different things....at first prog is a genre of music, while rap is not music.....
Gee, you're right, that does seem terribly closed-minded (not least from someone actually having a favorite Rainbow album while slamming The Cure).

Edited by Teaflax - June 18 2006 at 08:37
Trickster F. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 08:49

Why don't we ask to Wakeman or Howe if rap is influenced by prog?!?!?!
I already immagine the answer.....so don't talk just to open the mouth, folks!! I could seem close-minded, but rap and prog are two different things....at first prog is a genre of music, while rap is not music.....

What on earth are you talking about? Why would Yes members be the ultimate source of wisdom regarding prog-influenced rap(no offense intended to these musicians whatsoever)?

-- Ivan
sig
Jimbo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 09:17
C'mon guys, are you seriously as close-minded as you seem right now? (This is not aimed at the ones who are trying to defend the genre)

You may not like rap music, and you don't have to, but at least acknowledge it's a valid music genre. I'm not the biggest fan either, but this is just ridiculous. Dead

On a side note, I've been listening to Don Johnson Big Band 's (A Finnish rap ensemble) debut a lot lately. It might be a bit far-fetched to say they're influenced by prog, but who knows? I've seen them state Tom Waits, Nick Drake etc. as influences, so the world is much smaller than most of you seem to think.

They all play real instruments, you can even hear flute, saxophone and keyboard (sounded like Hammond!) solos on their debut! Their lyrics discuss real topics, not the stuff you hear on MTV. It's certainly not my favorite album, but if what they do isn't music, then I don't know what is.
Trickster F. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 09:21
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

It's certainly not my favorite album, but if what they do isn't music, then I don't know what is.

Music is 17 minute long mellotron solos and wailing vocals.Wink

What did your daddy teach you? LOLTongue

-- Ivan
sig
Jimbo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 09:33
^^ LOL
WaywardSon View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 10:32
Originally posted by Teaflax Teaflax wrote:

I could seem close-minded, but rap and prog are two different things....at first prog is a genre of music, while rap is not music.....
Gee, you're right, that does seem terribly closed-minded (not least from someone actually having a favorite Rainbow album while slamming The Cure).

The Cure are`nt anywhere near the same league as Rainbow (Dio Era)`
Robert Smith whines, while Ronnie James Dio is regarded as one of rocks best vocalists.
Add Blackmore and Cozy Powell and you have one of the best line ups of all time.

Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 10:56
Originally posted by RycheMan RycheMan wrote:

The Cure are`nt anywhere near the same league as Rainbow (Dio Era)`
Robert Smith whines, while Ronnie James Dio is regarded as one of rocks best vocalists.
Add Blackmore and Cozy Powell and you have one of the best line ups of all time.
Skill ain't all - innovation counts for a lot. Rainbow couldn't innovate themselves out of a wet paper bag with a map, a compass and a guide.

The Cure blazed their own trail and were a tremendous influence on Post-Punk and eventually spawning the admittedly often dire Goth movement. Rainbow were just another Rock n' Roll band in an near-endless sea of Rock n' Roll bands.

Edited by Teaflax - June 18 2006 at 11:00
WaywardSon View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 14:14
^^^^
Whatever you say...
Hector Gilbert View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 16:12
Dälek's album Absence strikes me as being more or less a noisy post-rock record with rapping over it. The melodic sensibilities are totally different to rap music that actually makes it onto the charts, and though not similar to 70s-style prog rock it would be likely to appeal to those here who lean more towards the alternative/post-rock/"avant-garde" groups on the archives.

Then of course there's the sample of Gentle Giant used in Madvillain's album Madvillainy, which I recall resulted in a big thread on this forum in reaction. Though the rhythm-oriented sensibilities in the song remained intact, it did demonstrate that there were people making rap music who were at least interested in prog/psych.

Edited by Hector Gilbert - June 18 2006 at 16:12
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2006 at 16:16
And DJ Shadow. I don't know to identify them myself, because I'm not that much of an Obscure Prog Freak, but evidently both Endtroducing.... and The Private Press had plenty of samples from Prog or Prog-like acts, plus it really has the exploratory sensibility that Prog had before it became mired down in cliché, repetition and regressed to some form of extended and slightly more complex Rock music
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12