Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Javiar Reyes(AAL) claims Arrested for No Reason
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJaviar Reyes(AAL) claims Arrested for No Reason

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Javiar Reyes(AAL) claims Arrested for No Reason
    Posted: June 01 2012 at 13:39
This was posted to my wall on FB. Anybody know the source or can verify this?

Toronto!
Javier Reyes here. I would like to personally apologize for canceling the Toronto show last night. I can explain. After the Boston show on May 26th, I was unlawfully arrested by the Boston Police Department. I had to return to Boston on May 30th for court. As much as we had looked forward to playing Toronto again, there was nothing I could do other than cancel the show and return to Boston to avoid having an arrest warrant filed against me.
I have included a complaint letter a friend/witness has written and sent to the Boston Police. It explains in more detail about the appalling and absurd encounter that occurred that evening. Again, to all our fans in Toronto, I am truly sorry for cancelling the show.

-

WRITTEN BY JESSICA BLANK2
Upon leaving The Tam in Boston, Massachusetts, on Saturday, May 27th, 2012, around 1:30 am, DUSTIN BLANK1 was playing “air-guitar” to a song, which was playing in the bar, as we all ‹‹exited onto the sidewalk. There was another civilian (white male, unrelated to our party) to our right, off the sidewalk, whom police were talking to.
After walking past the civilian whom police were talking to, Officer BLANK forcefully shoved BLANK1, from behind, and informed him that he was interfering with a police investigation. Confused and startled, BLANK1 turned around and asked what Officer BLANK was talking about. Officer BLANK then grabbed BLANK1 by the throat and slammed him against a wall, then turned him around to handcuff and arrest him.
Meanwhile, JAVIER REYES pulled out his cell phone and informed the officers that he was recording the arrest. Immediately, Officer BLANK turned around from arresting BLANK1 and hit Reyes’s cell phone from his hands (both hands were holding the cell phone) onto the ground, breaking the cell phone. Next, Officer BLANK grabs Reyes and shoved him face first into a wall and handcuffs him. Neither BLANK1 nor Reyes, in any way, resisted arrest.
Friend, TOSIN ABASI, concerned about how quickly things had escalated, asked an officer what was going on and why BLANK1 and Reyes were being arrested. Officer BLANK then shoves Abasi into the side of the police cruiser and asks him if he is trying to assault an officer. Officer BLANK asks this question while both of Abasi’s hands are in his pockets. Abasi denied attempting to assault an officer, pointed out that his hands were in his pockets, and admitted that he was only asking a question.
Worried about my friends and feeling shocked about what I had just witnessed, I, JESSICA BLANK2, announced that I did not feel safe. An officer replied to me by saying “Then call the police.” Surprised by this disrespectful sarcasm, I responded, “You are the police.” Another response came, “Then call 911.” Again, I responded, “You are 911.” Officer BLANK chimed in saying that I had quite the mouth on me for a lady and to “get out of here.”
To avoid further mistreatment, we all (Jessica Harvey, Tosin Abasi, MICHAEL BLANK3, JESSIKA BLANK4, THOMAS BLANK5, and LAUREN BLANK6) moved to the corner of the block. Distressed from all of the chaos, abuse, and false accusations made by the Boston Police Department, BLANK6 dropped to the ground and had an epileptic seizure. A by-stander, who informed us he is certified in First Aid, offers to help. He placed both of his hands under her head, not restricting any movement, to cushion her head from the cement section of the sidewalk. Officer BLANK7 pushed the by-stander away and informed him that if he continued to help, he could be sued if BLANK6 got hurt. The by-stander understood and again stated that he was certified in First Aid and just wanted to help BLANK6. Cooley was very aggressive in his approach to this outside medical help.
Upset and frustrated, Abasi began speaking to BLANK7 about his concerns for BLANK6’s health and safety, which was in danger due to the actions we all witnessed, while using some swearing language. Officer BLANK7 continuously criticized Abasi from his choice of language instead of listening to Abasi’s concerns about his friends.
BLANK6 had a seizure because of this highly stressful situation. She was approached by EMS and had to continuously deny care before the paramedic would leave her alone.
Reyes had the right to videotape the public arrest of BLANK1 as we were in a public location, on the sidewalk, after exiting The Tam. Officer BLANK violated Reyes’s rights by forcing the videotaping to end by his physical actions. Reyes phone screen is completely shattered; Officer BLANK unlawfully destroyed Reyes’s property in order to stop the recording of BLANK1 arrest.
I feel incredibly disrespected by Officer BLANK (and his fellow officers) by the words he said to me and his actions toward my friends who I witnessed and believe were not interfering with the previous situation.
I was a witness of all accounts mentioned in this complaint and demand the Boston Police Department to review Officer BLANK’s performance, and demand that action be taken against him in order to make things lawfully right. I request that all officers at the scene, who were involved with the arrest and detainment of BLANK1 and Reyes, to be interrogated, but most specifically Officer BLANK. BLANK1 and Reyes were physically assaulted by Officer BLANK, who received no physical contact, resistance, or retaliation from either subject.
It is to my understanding that Reyes is being charged with assault and battery of a police officer while the only assault and battery present was done by Officer BLANK and his partners in this unlawful arrest. Reyes made no physical contact with anyone present at the scene.
Please review my eye-witness report of this event. I am completely unsatisfied at how the Boston Police Department handled this situation. All officers were very unprofessional and disrespectful to my friends and me. Service and protection were not present in any way during our encounter with the Boston Police Department.

frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 13:45
woahhhh 
There be dragons
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 13:47
The police of the US are a bunch of raving lunatic goons out of control and drunk on power.
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 13:52
Each day, I read something that makes me hate police more. I've personally never met a respectful officer of the law. 

At least this will probably become a big deal in the metal community, and hopefully there will be some interesting backlash against police retardation.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 13:55
Originally posted by Failcore Failcore wrote:

The police of the US are a bunch of raving lunatic goons out of control and drunk on power.

That sweeping observation does you no credit.
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 13:55
I know some officers personally that are nice people. However, recent events have lead me to believe they are the exception, rather than the rule.
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 13:56
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

That sweeping observation does you no credit.
Solus ipse
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 13:56
That sounds 100% messed up.

I did read something a little while ago about it now being illegal to film police in action, which might explain why he knocked the phone away (or at least felt justified in doing so). But these were definitely men on a power trip. 
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 13:59
Originally posted by TheGazzardian TheGazzardian wrote:

That sounds 100% messed up.

I did read something a little while ago about it now being illegal to film police in action, which might explain why he knocked the phone away (or at least felt justified in doing so). But these were definitely men on a power trip. 
Some cities have passed laws liek this, but they are unconstitutional, not to mention ludicrous. There are cameras everywhere. If we arrested everyone who filmed police, we'd basically have to arrest anyone who has ever owned a business with security cameras.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 14:02
Originally posted by TheGazzardian TheGazzardian wrote:

But these were definitely men on a power trip. 

Are you sure?

I think the knee-jerk reaction to one party's testimony without hearing the other party's testimony is rather unfortunate.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 14:03
The Police is made up of many many different people, wherever you venture out in the world. We have some crazy lunatics here in Denmark as well, but I guess we also need them whenever mad men hunt you down with axes and grenades. Or else call mommy?

This post does however seem a bit one-sided. Not that I am defending the police, but I am sure there is more to this than what meets the eye. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 14:04
It's a very delicate balance with police between over-aggressiveness and hypo-aggressiveness. In Israel it's usually the latter. It's very hard to respect police officers here. So a lot of the times the laws aren't followed. It doesn't mean it's all anarchy... but there's the feeling that the law isn't being kept. 

In the U.S. I think it's start to feel as if the authorities are somewhat over-aggressive.  
There be dragons
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 14:06
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

The Police is made up of many many different people, wherever you venture out in the world. We have some crazy lunatics here in Denmark as well, but I guess we also need them whenever mad men hunt you down with axes and grenades. Or else call mommy?

This post does however seem a bit one-sided. Not that I am defending the police, but I am sure there is more to this than what meets the eye. 
I agree, I would like to see them recover the video off that phone, as breaking the screen should not prevent that. But unless they actually jumped the officer, there was no excuse for what happened. And that, I highly doubt. My personal suspicion is that the drunk air guitar guy was walking buy and was like, "Oooh, someone's in trouble" or something equally flippant and pissed the officer off.

Edited by Failcore - June 01 2012 at 14:07
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 14:08
This is why you don't live in Boston, New York, Chicago, or LA. Sure you get to live in the cultural hubs of the US< but you also have to deal with their cops. Your best bet for the big city experience in the US is Seattle, if you can avoid being shot (weird stuff this past week).
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 14:10
Originally posted by frippism frippism wrote:

It's a very delicate balance with police between over-aggressiveness and hypo-aggressiveness. In Israel it's usually the latter. It's very hard to respect police officers here. So a lot of the times the laws aren't followed. It doesn't mean it's all anarchy... but there's the feeling that the law isn't being kept. 

In the U.S. I think it's start to feel as if the authorities are somewhat over-aggressive.  
They are aggressive with law abiding citizenry, but if you actually want them to go after criminals they are useless. Me and my friends have all been robbed several times. One time, the cop had the balls to tell my female friend it was her fault for getting robbed.  Of course there are exceptions, but the police are supposed to be the creme of the crop. And they seem to be no better or worse, moralistically speaking than your average joes.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 14:16

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I agree, I would like to see them recover the video off that phone, as breaking the screen should not prevent that. But unless they actually jumped the officer, there was no excuse for what happened. And that, I highly doubt.

I am actually currently trying to change my view of the police. I've had some bad experiences with them in the past. Saw a few grown up men beat the sh*t out of some 12 year old girls back when our Ungdomshus(A Danish house of culture for the youth that got overrun by police a little while ago due to some horrific political decision) got smashed to pieces. Seen a lot of crazy madness - and for a long time I've felt decisively more afraid and on edge whenever I've seen cops. Still do actually. 
On the other hand, I grew up with a cop as my tennis trainer, so I too know of the good ones out there - the ones that don't make up their own morality as they go along(although most of us do).

If these police men did do what is written here - and the way it is described, then nothing is really going to happen in the end. The Police investigates themselves - and that in itself is like telling the school bully to go sit in the corner and feel ashamed of himself. Naughty boy!!!!!! 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 14:28
This is gonna sound weird, but I think we should pay our police twice as much. The problem is, since it is a low-paying job with admittedly high risk of being stabbed by a junkie, it only attracts two kinds of people: those who believe in and love the work and those who beat off to the victims of their power-tripping and battery. Also, it should be a federal mandate that any town that wants a charter should have to have an IAB in their police department.

Edited by Failcore - June 01 2012 at 14:30
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 14:33

This is gonna sound weird, but I think we should pay our police twice as much. The problem is, since it is a low-paying job with admittedly high risk of being stabbed by a junkie, it only attracts two kinds of people: those who believe in and love the work and those who beat off to the victims of their power-tripping and battery. Also, it should be a federal mandate that any town that wants a charter should have to have an IAB in their police department.

Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 14:38
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Haha, the military 4F's people for that too. They want nice little uniforms who won't think too much about the implications of the orders they are given.

EDIT: I did the math and according to their exam criteria (assuming linearity with respect to the IQ system), if you have an IQ of 103 or greater you are ineligible. I guess that means none of us here could make the cut Cry LOL

Edited by Failcore - June 01 2012 at 14:53
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 22:41
It's always best to hear both sides before judging. I used to despise cops in my late teens early twenties. Had plenty of run-ins with them and if i thought i could have gotten away with it there's one cop in particular who's ass i would have kicked. He was such a smart ass. But i also knew a few cops who were friends of my dad that were great guys. And one in particular(who i didn't know) who could have charged me with possession but let me off to my surprise. I remember an Uncle of a friend of mine who told me that fighting against cops was a battle i could never win and it was good advise that i took to heart. Now all these years later my daughter is getting married this winter to a drug enforcement cop. How ironic is that !LOL
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>