Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Biographies Needing Attention

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Biographies Needing Attention
    Posted: 13 hours 40 minutes ago at 21:19
Things look pretty sparse and grim for Blood Incantation and Warforged, the former a big name in the modern metal scene. Would anyone be down to step up to the plate and help them out?

https://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=11100

https://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=11180
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2023 at 08:15
^ I think so too. Clap

Edited by NotAProghead - June 23 2023 at 08:17
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2023 at 19:08
^ Thanks. If Uri ever responds to either of our messages, and follows the link to his band's PA page, I'm sure he'll be happy with what we've written. Thumbs Up
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2023 at 17:59
^ Good point. Thanks, David. Done, without emotions. Smile
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2023 at 17:13
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

^ Thanks, David, let it be compiled.

Now I thought, what if we "try a little tenderness" (i.e. keep some emotions from Uri's FB page)?
I'd suggest to add quotes:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:

:

Musically speaking 'The Mist Within' is a very diverse album in which the band tried to describe a kind of journey - the entrance into the fog or the unknown, the hard and winding road within, and the exit into the light at the end. Singer/guitarist Uri MANN also describes it as dealing with various difficulties such as trauma, death, false love, harmful urges, loneliness, and seeking help and support.

Singer/guitarist Uri MANN recalls:

“We tried to describe a kind of journey. The entrance into the fog, into the unknown, the hard and winding road in it, and the exit into the light at the end. Perhaps a bit like the process of twilight today, through night until the wounding dawn; or from the beginning of autumn, through the harsh winter and until the blooming spring at last.

From my point of view it is actually an internal journey, into our own hearts. Dealing with various difficulties such as trauma, death, false love, harmful urges, loneliness, and seeking help and support.

Musically speaking, it's a very diverse album. Maybe too diverse even.

Blood, sweat and tears were invested in it, literally - I sweated in exhausting singing recording sessions, I got cut while changing strings, and at a certain point towards the end I also had to cry in frustration.

I clearly remember how Alex and I sat for 3 days in a row (the last of which ended at 6am) to finish the mixing in time, that we'll be able to send the disc to print before the holidays.

But that's it, in the end we got through it all. We released the album, and launched it in an amazing show, which was perhaps one of the most amazing evenings I've ever had in my life. I will never forget the love and the compliments I felt from the audience, this warm and amazing energy that filled every inch of my body during the performance, the adrenaline, the dopamine, serotonin... And the most fun, is that I could share this wonderful feeling, with my amazing friends at LI'ED. Love you guys!

I still enjoy listening to this album with pride and a little smile, and eager to start working on the next album."

:

:

=========== Compiled from various sources by David (yam yam), June 2023 =============

What do you think?

We'd definitely need to get his permission to quote him directly, and I don't really think a band leader's personal recollection of how the creation of an album felt for him, especially in such depth as this, really belongs in a biography. I'd leave all the text in the third person, and just briefly summarize what the band were trying to convey with their music, based on Uri's personal interpretation of it.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2023 at 14:55
Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

Here's my rewritten biography ........................

Alan, your work on NEAL MORSE bio is highly appreciated by Symphonic Team:
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

... this rewrite seems fine to me...
Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

I wouldn't change anything about those corrections since a lot of work has been done. I will simply copy.

Done

Clap
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2023 at 14:48
^ Thanks, David, let it be compiled.

Now I thought, what if we "try a little tenderness" (i.e. keep some emotions from Uri's FB page)?
I'd suggest to add quotes:

LI'ED Biography.

Formed January 2009, Mevaseret Zion, Jerusalem, Israel.

LI'ED is a Progressive Metal band from Jerusalem, Israel which composes complex and atmospheric music, and uses different musical styles and elements in its compositions.

LI'ED was initially a five-piece band consisting of Uri MANN (vocals, guitars), Noam Barom ELIYAHU (guitars), Nadav GREENHUT (keyboards, synths, orchestral effects), Yitskhak KANNAY (bass) and Shai TUOBOL (drums, percussion). With this line up they released a three-track EP called 'Into The Mist' in January 2013, before adding Hadar FLEXER on vocals in the summer of that year.

Uri MANN had actually begun composing songs with the intention of releasing an album back in high school in 2007, and 'Into The Mist' consisted of early versions of three of these songs. The final finished album, called 'The Mist Within', took almost ten years to complete - including over two years in production - and eventually consisted of 9 tracks spread across 59 minutes of music.

Musically speaking 'The Mist Within' is a very diverse album in which the band tried to describe a kind of journey - the entrance into the fog or the unknown, the hard and winding road within, and the exit into the light at the end. Singer/guitarist Uri MANN also describes it as dealing with various difficulties such as trauma, death, false love, harmful urges, loneliness, and seeking help and support.

Singer/guitarist Uri MANN recalls:

“We tried to describe a kind of journey. The entrance into the fog, into the unknown, the hard and winding road in it, and the exit into the light at the end. Perhaps a bit like the process of twilight today, through night until the wounding dawn; or from the beginning of autumn, through the harsh winter and until the blooming spring at last.

From my point of view it is actually an internal journey, into our own hearts. Dealing with various difficulties such as trauma, death, false love, harmful urges, loneliness, and seeking help and support.

Musically speaking, it's a very diverse album. Maybe too diverse even.

Blood, sweat and tears were invested in it, literally - I sweated in exhausting singing recording sessions, I got cut while changing strings, and at a certain point towards the end I also had to cry in frustration.

I clearly remember how Alex and I sat for 3 days in a row (the last of which ended at 6am) to finish the mixing in time, that we'll be able to send the disc to print before the holidays.

But that's it, in the end we got through it all. We released the album, and launched it in an amazing show, which was perhaps one of the most amazing evenings I've ever had in my life. I will never forget the love and the compliments I felt from the audience, this warm and amazing energy that filled every inch of my body during the performance, the adrenaline, the dopamine, serotonin... And the most fun, is that I could share this wonderful feeling, with my amazing friends at LI'ED. Love you guys!

I still enjoy listening to this album with pride and a little smile, and eager to start working on the next album."

There were many guest musicians involved in the recording process, who added choral effects and woodwind instruments to the finished mix of several songs, and the album release show was held at Yellow Submarine in Jerusalem on Tuesday October 18th 2016.

LI'ED's music is best described as progressive rock with a heavy edge. Their musical pieces include frequent and drastic dynamic shifts; as well as an extensive use of odd time signatures, syncopation, complex harmonic passages and counter-point. Their musical style is based on many genres of music evident in different parts of their pieces, such as Jazz, Blues, Flamenco, Folk, and different styles of Classical music.

The band cite various artists as their influences, including Prog-Metal bands such as OPETH, PORCUPINE TREE and DREAM THEATER; early Prog bands such as PINK FLOYD, KING CRIMSON and YES; countrymates ORPHANED LAND, Matti CASPI and Yoni RECHTER and the classical composers BACH, BEETHOVEN, MOZART and SCHUBERT.

As of June 2023, a follow-up album is believed to be in its advanced stages - apparently to be called 'Dybbuk'. A Dybbuk is a disembodied human spirit in the Jewish folklore that, because of former sins, wanders restlessly until it finds a body of a living person to possess.

=========== Compiled from various sources by David (yam yam), June 2023 =============

What do you think?

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2023 at 17:19

^ Thanks, David, excellent!
I think we can credit you as an author of the bio. Looks like it was not compiled from different sources, but written after reading and analysing them.
If you don't mind, I'll add in the end of the bio:
=========== Written by David (yam yam), June 2023 =============

I'd prefer it if you just said 'compiled from various sources' rather than 'written by'. Whilst I did edit a lot of the info that the bio contains, the two paragraphs near the end about how the band's music sounds and its influences were just copied directly from their Facebook 'about_details' section. Embarrassed

With regard to Nadav Greenhut, I'm pretty sure he is a bona fide band member, since Uri said this in his Facebook post about the album: "And the most fun, is that I could share this wonderful feeling, with my amazing friends at Li'ed - Shai Toubol, Nadav Greenhut, שה Noam Barom Eliyahu, Isacco Kannay-Teperberg (aka Yitskhak Kannay), and also Hadar Flaxer who have been with us throughout the whole process. Love you guys!"

Nadav is also in the official band photo (second row from the top, on the right, with glasses). However, I guess they kept him separate from the others on Bandcamp for a reason, so perhaps it's safer to do the same on our own page for the album.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2023 at 16:06
^ Thanks, David, excellent!
I think we can credit you as an author of the bio. Looks like it was not compiled from different sources, but written after reading and analysing them.
If you don't mind, I'll add in the end of the bio:
=========== Written by David (yam yam), June 2023 =============

Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

For some reason, Bandcamp's page for 'The Mist Within' says "Piano & Keyboards recorded by Nadav Greenhut" on a separate line below the other band members, and both the PA and Discogs pages for the album don't mention him at all! He's most definitely a band member though.
Because we don't know for sure is Nadav Greenhut a band member or not, I'd better write:
With
- Nadav Greenhut / piano & leyboards

Perhaps we can also add at the bottom of our page for the album:
CD Self-released (2016, Israel)
Digital album
Will do it.

Edited by NotAProghead - June 20 2023 at 16:07
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2023 at 18:09

I have sent Uri a message on facebook to see if he will clear up the mystery regarding the 'Dybbuk' album, and maybe reveal any line-up changes that might have happened during the band's history. He doesn't seem to post on there very often though, so I don't know how regularly he visits the site. New messages from people not connected with you aren't always easy to find on facebook either, and not everyone responds to them, so I might not get an answer from him.
Thanks, David, I think we can use your investigations as the band's bio (obviously with credits to Uri and Hadar).

I'd suggest, if Uri will answer you within a reasonable time, ask his permission to use translated text from his FB page as the band's bio. If no answer follows, we'll use it in a "pirate" way. Smile

P.S. I've also sent a message to the band (via the "Contact" form on their bandcamp page) and asked them to contact me in email if they would like to help us with a better bio.
No reply from Uri thus far, and I don't really expect to get one, so here's my 'pirated' version based on Uri's Facebook post, and also including additional material from RYM (date of band formation) and their Facebook about_details:

LI'ED Biography.

Formed January 2009, Mevaseret Zion, Jerusalem, Israel.

LI'ED is a Progressive Metal band from Jerusalem, Israel which composes complex and atmospheric music, and uses different musical styles and elements in its compositions.

LI'ED was initially a five-piece band consisting of Uri MANN (vocals, guitars), Noam Barom ELIYAHU (guitars), Nadav GREENHUT (keyboards, synths, orchestral effects), Yitskhak KANNAY (bass) and Shai TUOBOL (drums, percussion). With this line up they released a three-track EP called 'Into The Mist' in January 2013, before adding Hadar FLEXER on vocals in the summer of that year.

Uri MANN had actually begun composing songs with the intention of releasing an album back in high school in 2007, and 'Into The Mist' consisted of early versions of three of these songs. The final finished album, called 'The Mist Within', took almost ten years to complete - including over two years in production - and eventually consisted of 9 tracks spread across 59 minutes of music.

There were many guest musicians involved in the recording process, who added choral effects and woodwind instruments to the finished mix of several songs, and the album release show was held at Yellow Submarine in Jerusalem on Tuesday October 18th 2016.

LI'ED's music is best described as progressive rock with a heavy edge. Their musical pieces include frequent and drastic dynamic shifts; as well as an extensive use of odd time signatures, syncopation, complex harmonic passages and counter-point. Their musical style is based on many genres of music evident in different parts of their pieces, such as Jazz, Blues, Flamenco, Folk, and different styles of Classical music.

The band cite various artists as their influences, including Prog-Metal bands such as OPETH, PORCUPINE TREE and DREAM THEATER; early Prog bands such as PINK FLOYD, KING CRIMSON and YES; countrymates ORPHANED LAND, Matti CASPI and Yoni RECHTER and the classical composers BACH, BEETHOVEN, MOZART and SCHUBERT.

As of June 2023, a follow-up album is believed to be in its advanced stages - apparently to be called 'Dybbuk'. A Dybbuk is a disembodied human spirit in the Jewish folklore that, because of former sins, wanders restlessly until it finds a body of a living person to possess.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please feel free to alter it as you feel necessary. Embarrassed

For some reason, Bandcamp's page for 'The Mist Within' says "Piano & Keyboards recorded by Nadav Greenhut" on a separate line below the other band members, and both the PA and Discogs pages for the album don't mention him at all! He's most definitely a band member though. 

Perhaps we can also add at the bottom of our page for the album:

CD Self-released (2016, Israel)
Digital album

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2023 at 15:25

^ Who will write it?

Info about this band isn't easy to find on the Internet, which I suppose is why there is only a single sentence in the current bio.

However, from this post on facebook in October 2017 by the band leader Uri Mann, something much better could quite easily be put together. Google translation below:

"So a year and a week ago this happened - our album, The Mist Within, was released.
The most important and meaningful thing I created in my life, my greatest pride.

Strange indeed...But not really a big deal as far as the writing of a better biography is concerned.

Thanks a lot, David! Will carefully read it later.
I have sent Uri a message on facebook to see if he will clear up the mystery regarding the 'Dybbuk' album, and maybe reveal any line-up changes that might have happened during the band's history. He doesn't seem to post on there very often though, so I don't know how regularly he visits the site. New messages from people not connected with you aren't always easy to find on facebook either, and not everyone responds to them, so I might not get an answer from him.

Thanks, David, I think we can use your investigations as the band's bio (obviously with credits to Uri and Hadar).

I'd suggest, if Uri will answer you within a reasonable time, ask his permission to use translated text from his FB page as the band's bio. If no answer follows, we'll use it in a "pirate" way. Smile

P.S. I've also sent a message to the band (via the "Contact" form on their bandcamp page) and asked them to contact me in email if they would like to help us with a better bio.

Edited by NotAProghead - June 19 2023 at 16:19
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2023 at 14:33
Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

Regarding your two questions, number 1 I've no problem with changing it to either word, number two I thought the original bio used a lot of words about the Testimony album, then a fair number about One, and as Neal had released many more albums since it would seem a bit unbalanced if the rest were only mentioned in passing. So the simplest thing was to cut out most of the information, whilst keeping the facts that Mike Portnoy had been involved from the start, and Randy George from the second album onwards.

Thanks, Alan, I'll post your version (with your explanations) in Symphonic Team thread. If the guys approve the changes I'll update bio on the artist's page. Will let you know the teams opinion anyway. 
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2023 at 10:36

^ Who will write it?

Info about this band isn't easy to find on the Internet, which I suppose is why there is only a single sentence in the current bio.

However, from this post on facebook in October 2017 by the band leader Uri Mann, something much better could quite easily be put together. Google translation below:

"So a year and a week ago this happened - our album, The Mist Within, was released.
The most important and meaningful thing I created in my life, my greatest pride.

Strange indeed...But not really a big deal as far as the writing of a better biography is concerned.

AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2023 at 06:28
Thanks for doing that NotAProghead, sorry I couldn't work out how to do the strike throughs.

Regarding your two questions, number 1 I've no problem with changing it to either word, number two I thought the original bio used a lot of words about the Testimony album, then a fair number about One, and as Neal had released many more albums since it would seem a bit unbalanced if the rest were only mentioned in passing. So the simplest thing was to cut out most of the information, whilst keeping the facts that Mike Portnoy had been involved from the start, and Randy George from the second album onwards.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2023 at 18:44

^ Who will write it?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2023 at 18:42
Originally posted by zero_z_hero zero_z_hero wrote:

Thank you!

Here's a new bio, updated according to our agreements:

ATON FIVE .................................., while aspiring to say something new in the genre.

Thanks, Alexander, done.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2023 at 18:40
^ Making strike-through font is easy - just click "Post Reply" button in the bottom part of the page instead of using "quick reply" form. Then the button A becomes available. Select the text and click the button.
I have to say that comparing texts when you don't see what was deleted is very inconvenient.

Now the resulted text (with deleted parts and minor changes like added quotation marks etc):

Neal R. Morse - Born August 2, 1960 (Van Nuys, California, USA)

As a young musician, Neal's dream was like many others-to find success in the pop music world. But after years of struggling in the LA singer-songwriter scene, he realized that his dream would not materialize. Eschewing conventional wisdom, Neal took a courageous step: he about-faced and devoted himself to progressive rock, the music truly in his heart. The obscure and fiercely competitive genre held little chance of commercial success. Undaunted, he formed the quirkily-named
SPOCK'S BEARD with his brother, Alan. They recorded “The Light” (1995) with what money they could scrape together. Against all odds, it was a breakout success, sending shockwaves through the small genre's community.

Over the next 10
7 years, SPOCK’S BEARD released 10 6 critically acclaimed CDs and 2 concert DVDs, ascending to the top of the "prog" world. Neal also released 6 CDs and 3 DVDs 2 CDs and 2 live albums with TRANSATLANTIC, the heralded prog "supergroup" comprised of the world's finest prog musicians. The proverbial wayward son, Neal had finally found the success he dreamed of. But something was missing. While on the outside Neal had it all; on the inside, something was missing. Morse came to realize that for him, embracing the Christian faith was the fulfillment of his spiritual quest. His walk was at once gradual and sudden - and like with so many, completely unexpected. As he continued, his path increasingly revealed more of what his heart had sought all along. Yet he also began to find his career growing at odds with his faith. The rising spiritual tension and increasing commercial success finally came to a head with the release of “Snow” (2002), SPOCK’S BEARD's (with Morse) magnum opus and swan song.

The extraordinary 2-CD rock opera, composed by Morse, was widely acclaimed as the group's finest. But it was the end of the era: Neal made the agonizing decision to leave SPOCK’S BEARD. After also leaving TRANSATLANTIC, the transformation was complete. Despite having finally achieved the success he had long sought, Morse began all over again; musically, emotionally and spiritually. 
While SPOCK’S BEARD elected to continue without him, TRANSATLANTIC disbanded (though this would later turn out to be a hiatus). Neal then embarked upon the most ambitious musical project of his career. Entitled “Testimony” (2003), it chronicles his spiritual and musical journey in words and music. The 2 CD set (3 CDs for the Special Edition) spans over two hours as one continuous piece of music. It ranges in style from a full gospel choir to hard rock; from a symphony orchestra to contemporary pop. A deftly woven musical tapestry, the album takes the listener on a fascinating journey as unique as the man behind it.

Artistically, “Testimony” was a remarkable solo achievement, with Neal not only writing, arranging and producing; but singing the lead vocals and performing most of the instruments. Recognized as a virtuoso multi-instrumentalist, he is endorsed as a guitarist, keyboardist and singer (Yamaha, Gibson, Rode Microphones, and others). Legendary drummer Mike Portnoy performed on drums, with guest guitarist Kerry Livgren (Kansas) on several tracks. The mainstream and CCM press alike lauded Testimony as was one of the best progressive rock albums of the year. It received numerous honors, from Progressive World (Top 5 Albums) to The National Review (10 Best of the Year). The ensuing world tour was captured on one unforgettable night at the beautiful Dutch concert hall, (named only as a number) 013, during his European tour. The performance (and tour) won him "Best Rock Tour" from the Dutch Progressive Rock Poll, besting nominees Peter Gabriel, Radiohead, RUSH and others. (Neal also won Best Album for the Testimony studio release.) Released as a 2-DVD set, Testimony Live (2004) showcases Neal Morse as a remarkably passionate and engaging live performer. On lead vocals, guitar and keyboards, Neal demonstrates why, after the European leg of the tour, England's Classic Rock Magazine included him in their "100 Greatest Frontmen of Rock" listing.

Morse's new studio album is a conceptual, progressive rock album entitled, One. Mike Portnoy returns to perform on drums (in what is regarded as perhaps his finest performance), and up-in-coming prog artist Randy George (Testimony Live) returns on bass. They are joined by legendary guitarist Phil Keaggy on several tracks. The result is a more of band-focused, straight-ahead sound than on Testimony, harkening back to Neal's Transatlantic work. Neal also took a more collaborative approach on One, writing with Portnoy and George. The three artists worked together closely to capture and articulate Neal's vision; his singular design enriched with their distinct voices. Continuing in the tradition of Snow and Testimony, One is epic in scope and sublime in nature; the next remarkable chapter in Neal's musical and spiritual journey.

Neal invited Mike Portnoy, with whom he had played in TRANSATLANTIC, to play drums and this was the beginning of a close friendship and musical collaboration which has endured to the present day. For his next solo album, entitled “One”, Neal added bassist Randy George to the line-up, and Morse, Portnoy and George have formed the nucleus of Morse’s progressive rock albums ever since. Neal has been prolific in releasing solo albums since then, all based on his Christian beliefs yet somehow popular with those who don’t share those views. Most have been concept albums, covering such subjects as his journey to faith (“Testimony” and “Testimony 2”), the Reformation (“Sola Scriptura”), the temple of God ("?") and even a rock opera based on the life and passion of Christ.

In 2012 Neal decided to expand his regular band and held auditions via YouTube. As a result guitarist Eric Gillette and keyboardist Bill Hubauer were added to the permanent line up and the project was relaunched as THE NEAL MORSE BAND (subsequently abbreviated to NMB). This was more of a band project, with the new members contributing to writing as well as sharing lead vocals with Neal.

As well as his solo prog albums and those with NMB, Neal has also released several singer-songwriter albums, a series of worship albums, and three albums of covers under the MORSE PORTNOY GEORGE name. TRANSATLANTIC was resurrected as a side project in 2009 with the highly acclaimed “Whirlwind” album, and in 2012 Morse and Portnoy joined with Steve Morse and Dave LaRue of the DIXIE DREGS, plus vocalist Casey MacPherson, to form FLYING COLORS. He also joined with Nick D’Virgilio (SPOCK’S BEARD, BIG BIG TRAIN) and Ross Jennings (HAKEN) in 2022 to form an acoustic trio. Last but not least, Morse was once part of the Beatles tribute band YELLOW MATTER CUSTARD.

Neal Morse remains one of the most prolific progressive rock artists around today.

And a couple of questions:
1. While SPOCK’S BEARD elected to continue without him...
- Wouldn't "decided" or "chose" be better?

2. Big deleted part

Legendary drummer Mike Portnoy performed on drums, with guest guitarist Kerry Livgren (Kansas) on several tracks. The mainstream and CCM press alike lauded ..................................................................................................................................

next remarkable chapter in Neal's musical and spiritual journey.

- Are all deleted lines excessive?

Edited by NotAProghead - June 17 2023 at 18:47
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2023 at 13:13
I think we can do the following way:
1. Post your version of the bio here (in this thead). It would be very helpful if you mark added and deleted lines of the existing bio (with color and strike-through fonts respectively).
2. We'll read it and, if necessary make some changes.
3. I'll send our (actually your) version to Symphonic Team. If they agree with the changes, we'll replace the artist bio with new version.

Thanks. Here's my rewritten biography, sorry I don't know how to do the strike-through thing but I've highlighted my added lines. Hope it's acceptable.

Neal Morse biography
Neal R. Morse - Born August 2, 1960 (Van Nuys, California, USA)

As a young musician, Neal's dream was like many others-to find success in the pop music world. But after years of struggling in the LA singer-songwriter scene, he realized that his dream would not materialize. Eschewing conventional wisdom, Neal took a courageous step: he about-faced and devoted himself to progressive rock, the music truly in his heart. The obscure and fiercely competitive genre held little chance of commercial success. Undaunted, he formed the quirkily-named 
SPOCK'S BEARD with his brother, Alan. They recorded The Light with what money they could scrape together. Against all odds, it was a breakout success, sending shockwaves through the small genre's community.

Over the next
7 years, Spock's Beard released 6 critically acclaimed CDs, ascending to the top of the "prog" world. Neal also released 2 CDs and 2 live albums with TRANSATLANTIC, the heralded prog "supergroup" comprised of the world's finest prog musicians. The proverbial wayward son, Neal had finally found the success he dreamed of. But something was missing. While on the outside Neal had it all; on the inside, something was missing. Morse came to realize that for him, embracing the Christian faith was the fulfillment of his spiritual quest. His walk was at once gradual and sudden-and like with so many, completely unexpected. As he continued, his path increasingly revealed more of what his heart had sought all along. Yet he also began to find his career growing at odds with his faith. The rising spiritual tension and increasing commercial success finally came to a head with the release of Snow (2002), Spock's Beard's (with Morse) magnum opus.and swan song.

The extraordinary 2-CD rock opera, composed by Morse, was widely acclaimed as the group's finest. But it was the end of the era: Neal made the agonizing decision to leave Spock's Beard. After also leaving Transatlantic, the transformation was complete. Despite having finally achieved the success he had long sought, Morse began all over again; musically, emotionally and spiritually.
While Spock’s Beard elected to continue without him, Transatlantic disbanded (though this would later turn out to be a hiatus). Neal then embarked upon the most ambitious musical project of his career. Entitled Testimony (2003), it chronicles his spiritual and musical journey in words and music. The 2 CD set (3 CDs for the Special Edition) spans over two hours as one continuous piece of music. It ranges in style from a full gospel choir to hard rock; from a symphony orchestra to contemporary pop. A deftly woven musical tapestry, the album takes the listener on a fascinating journey as unique as the man behind it.

Artistically, Testimony was a remarkable solo achievement, with Neal not only writing, arranging and producing; but singing the lead vocals and performing most of the instruments. Recognized as a virtuoso multi-instrumentalist, he is endorsed as a guitarist, keyboardist and singer (Yamaha, Gibson, Rode Microphones, and others).
Neal invited Mike Portnoy, with whom he had played in Transatlantic, to play drums and this was the beginning of a close friendship and musical collaboration which has endured to the present day. For his next solo album, entitled One, Neal added bassist Randy George to the line up, and Morse, Portnoy and George have formed the nucleus of Morse’s progressive rock albums ever since. Neal has been prolific in releasing solo albums since then, all based on his Christian beliefs yet somehow popular with those who don’t share those views. Most have been concept albums, covering such subjects as his journey to faith (Testimony and Testimony 2), the Reformation (Sola Scriptura), the temple of God (?) and even a rock opera based on the life and passion of Christ.

In 2012 Neal decided to expand his regular band and held auditions via Youtube. As a result guitarist Eric Gillette and keyboardist Bill Hubauer were added to the permanent line up and the project was relaunched as The Neal Morse Band (subsequently abbreviated to NMB). This was more of a band project, with the new members contributing to writing as well as sharing lead vocals with Neal.

As well as his solo prog albums and those with NMB, Neal has also released several singer-songwriter albums, a series of worship albums, and three albums of covers under the Morse Portnoy George name. Transatlantic was resurrected as a side project in 2009 with the highly acclaimed “Whirlwind” album, and in 2012 Morse and Portnoy joined with Steve Morse and Dave LaRue of the Dixie Dregs, plus vocalist Casey MacPherson, to form Flying Colors. He also joined with Nick D’Virgilio (Spock’s Beard, Big Big Train) and Ross Jennings (Haken) in 2022 to form an acoustic trio. Last but not least, Morse was once part of the Beatles tribute band Yellow Matter Custard.

Neal Morse remains one of the most prolific progressive rock artists around today.

Edited by AlanB - June 17 2023 at 13:18
zero_z_hero View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zero_z_hero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2023 at 08:13
Thank you!

Here's a new bio, updated according to our agreements:

ATON FIVE is an instrumental prog rock band named after the protagonist of Piers Anthony's sci-fi novel "Chthon" based in Moscow, Russia. The band was founded by ALEXANDER SELEZNEV (guitar) and MIKHAIL ZENKOV (bass) in 2014. They remain the core members as the band went through many keyboardist and drummer changes over the years.

The debut 2015 EP "Long Forgotten Tales" was a mixed-genre work with elements of prog, post-rock and stoner. It got the band noticed nevertheless, and Aton Five plays as an opening act for Elder show in Moscow as well as some local festivals. This leads to musicians starting producing their first LP.

The "Solarstalgia" album sees the light of day in 2018, being released by Mars Records and R.A.I.G. Records labels. It set the band on the path of space rock and heavy psychedelia and featured a coherent narrative despite the lack of lyrics. The album was well met by the vintage rock lovers all over the world. That was especially true in Europe, where the genre enthusiasts have placed Aton Five on the same shelf as The Grand Astoria. The band goes on tour while gathering some inspiring reviews.

While the band remained true to the spirit of the '70s, it was evident that Aton Five seeked to enrich it with the achievements of progressive music of the following decades, as well as some with some classical influences. This leads to the band largely abandoning the space-rock genre and wanting to reinvent itself as a more "pure" and original prog act. This transition was symbolized by the release of 2020's "Childhood's End" album — a compilation of both rare tracks and live recordings.

In 2023, 5 years since the first LP, Aton Five finally releases the self-titled second album. It features a new style that is meant to represent the band's maturity, and is closer to a more classical definition of prog with noticeable tendency to metal. The band also explores the classical musical form, which is mostly evident in the 22-minute "Lethe" that is central to the album. Aton Five's current credo is to avoid both the wanton reiteration of the past and the overindulgence in production, while aspiring to say something new in the genre.

guitarist and leader of Aton Five
atonfive.bandcamp.com
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2023 at 18:08

^ Who will write it?

It features 9 pieces that are spread across 59 minutes of music. Some I started composing back in high school, somewhere in 2007, and some we've mastered in recent years. I kept constantly dealing with little things in texts, melodies, arrangements, until the recordings themselves and sometimes even after.

We tried to describe a kind of journey. The entrance into the fog, into the unknown, the hard and winding road in it, and the exit into the light at the end. Perhaps a bit like the process of twilight today, through night until the wounding dawn; or from the beginning of autumn, through the harsh winter and until the blooming spring at last.

Musically speaking, it's a very diverse album. Maybe too diverse even. It's like it's a little difficult to find a thread that connects all the creations, colorfully. But I like this one. There are lots of tools, lots of styles, changes of atmosphere and more.

It opens with an A-Cappella section (which I originally composed as an exercise as part of my studies at the Academy of Music) that introduces Hadar's beautiful voice from the first second. Then we move on to a short instrumental overture, which briefly presents musical themes from the rest of the album.

Then we have the Summer Hunger, with our attempt to combine metal and flamenco; a section from the deadly blues/punk direction; the violent and dark Fist & Knife; the melancholy small letters; Luna and an evening of ducks with more jazzier and weirder tendencies, and finally the symphonic Destructive and Sand Flower - which are also the two most personal songs to me on the album.

Definitely a large variety and hard to digest - and even more so, difficult to produce. I would like to mention here Zvulun Alex from A.G. Studio who did an amazing job producing this album, taught us and guided us every step of the way, produced an amazing sound that did not embarrass the big studios of Sweden, London and New York, and managed to make every instrument and every instrument in this busy production sound.

Quite a few people helped us around working on this album. Semion Ositiansky and Omri Raveh in choir voices, Gadi Lederman , Gili Cohen , and Maria Liyubman on the blowout, Mary O Col in graphic design, and many more people that I just don't have room here to mention them personally...

This album was for over two years in production, and actually almost 10 years in the making - as most of his works, as stated, I started writing more during my high school studies.

But that's it, in the end we got through it all.
We released the album, and launched it in an amazing show in the submarine, which was perhaps one of the most amazing evenings I've ever had in my life.

I will never forget the love and the compliments I felt from the audience, this warm and amazing energy that filled every inch of my body during the performance, the adrenaline, the dopamine, serotonin...
And the most fun, is that I could share this wonderful feeling, with my amazing friends at Li'ed - Shai Toubol, Nadav Greenhut, שה Noam Barom Eliyahu, Isacco Kannay-Teperberg (aka Yitskhak Kannay), and also Hadar Flaxer who have been with us throughout the whole process. Love you guys!

And that’s it. Here we are a year (and a week) later, I still enjoy listening to this album with pride and a little smile, and eager to start working on the next album.
More on him, in the next dig..."

The album release show was held at Yellow Submarine in Jerusalem on Tuesday October 18th 2016.

According to vocalist Hadar Flaxer, a follow up album is in the pipeline, for which the band were looking to recruit a keyboardist very soon after the release of 'The Mist Within'. See her November 2016 post on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/414524105339964/posts/1017486975043671/.

This prospective follow up album is apparently to be called 'Dybbuk'. A Dybbuk is a disembodied human spirit in the Jewish folklore that, because of former sins, wanders restlessly until it finds a body of a living person to possess.

The intended album's story takes place in an ancient Jewish community. A lonely girl commits suicide. Due to that, she's banned from entering the afterlife. Her soul wanders upon the land until she possesses another girl. The host girl twitches in pain, drawing the intention of the Jewish community that eventually calls to the “Baal Shem”, a rabbi, to perform an exorcism. Alone and dehumanized, the host girl kills herself out of shame, which brings our story back to the beginning - an endless cycle of misery and tragedy.

The band are still active it seems, and from this seemingly associated website (which Hadar seems to have put together), they appear to have got a fair way with the follow up album too, since there is a stream of it on there complete with lyrics, but thus far no release has been forthcoming or even talked about - as strangely there is no mention of it on any of the facebook pages - that of Hadar, the band's official page, or the one of its leader, Uri Mann: https://lieddybbuk.com/.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>