Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Biographies Needing Attention

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Biographies Needing Attention
    Posted: June 03 2012 at 06:03
I am starting this thread to highlight problem or under par biographies. I don't think we have a thread like this but if we do  please feel free to lock this.

Chris Squire.

Now I can of course correct the mistakes in  this biography but I think a rewrite is in order. It is nothing more than  an album review in my opinion and not a biography at all.

Thoughts?

Edited by Snow Dog - June 04 2012 at 04:49
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2012 at 06:11
I started this thread once upon a time.

Happy to say the new Dream Theater biography is far superior to the old one (thanks Andy!).  LOL
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2012 at 06:13
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I started this thread once upon a time.

Happy to say the new Dream Theater biography is far superior to the old one (thanks Andy!).  LOL

I would happily just continue in your thread. It isn't exactly the same thing though so maybe both can exist? Up to Admin. This one for example is not about neutrality.Smile
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2012 at 07:37
A review of the bios is a good idea, and the one quoted is a good one as well. Recent posts have highlighted the archival nature of this site, rather than it being a current events site. Fair enough, but an Archival site has to be up to date and relevant, otherwise it is not an archive.

Tell you what. Why don't we eliminate the sub-genres, and free up time for collabs to go through and update the bios and album data?

(1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10....................

Ouch, that hurtLOL
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2012 at 07:41
Trouble is that even this thread highlighting problem Bios is that someone has to do the work to change it. So if we  agreed that Chris Squire needed a redo that would just be the first stage. Who would do it? Me because i noticed it?
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2012 at 07:52
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Trouble is that even this thread highlighting problem Bios is that someone has to do the work to change it. So if we  agreed that Chris Squire needed a redo that would just be the first stage. Who would do it? Me because i noticed it?

It's a similar problem to that of changing over sub-genres to albums, rather than artists. The site is now so huge that, to be honest, it would be a full time job for a year in a corporation, let alone a bunch of volunteers.

I do, though, think that we can have a rethink of the way we do things. If we just had two sub-genres, prog & prog related, then that would free up the collabs on all the respective teams to engage themselves into becoming a true archival service, i.e. ensuring that bios were kept up to date (you could allocate this in alphabetical splits), and album data was accurate, & etc.

I know that some people don't like me for saying it, but I would submit that the vast majority of visitors here don't give a toss as to whether Steve Hackett is in Symphonic or Eclectic. What they want is accurate, up to date, and informative information in the shape of a bio, discography, and album reviews, in order to get information, or maybe see if they fancy buying an album they previously had not heard of.

Shall I paste that nuclear bomb again?
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2012 at 07:54
I like you just fine Steve, but I do disagree with tossing out subgenres.  Those categorizations were what brought me to this site in the first place (above any other site).  It aided me in finding music similar to what I already liked at a glance.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2012 at 12:04
What we do is try to watch for sub-par bios on RPI artist pages and update them when we have time.  It's rainy day work.  If someone brings one to our attention we do it faster of course.

I also will update bios, broken links, and poor photos on bands outside of RPI when I find them.  Just did one the other day. 

Any of us can be on the lookout for insufficient content and spruce it up when necessary.  We could dedicate people to the mission, assuming we had the extra hands, or we can all commit to doing it when we see it. 

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2012 at 04:50
For now I will just correct grammar. I obviously won't change the bio without permission. Maybe I should contact the writer. But only if the consensus agrees.

Perhaps he will see this thread.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 14:45
No offense intended, but the Echolyn biography is lacking.

Would anyone mind if I wrote a fresh one sometime over the weekend?

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 15:09
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

No offense intended, but the Echolyn biography is lacking.

Would anyone mind if I wrote a fresh one sometime over the weekend?

Absolutely I wouldn't mind, It is very lacking.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 15:15
Go for it. That one is awful.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 08:03

I am starting this thread to highlight problem or under par biographies. I don't think we have a thread like this but if we do  please feel free to lock this.

Chris Squire.

Now I can of course correct the mistakes in  this biography but I think a rewrite is in order. It is nothing more than  an album review in my opinion and not a biography at all.

Thoughts?

With Mickty and raff but mainly with HT and ClemofNazareth we had to write 200 reviews in a few months, because some really sucked,.. others were almost propaganda and some couldn't be called Bios because they said (literally)

"Classic 70's band influenced by YES, GENESIS, KING CRIMSON, PINK FLOYD and JETHRO TULL, a great addition to Prog Archives"

Hey, I don't know why everybody mentioned PINK FLOYD,. KING CRIMSON and JETHRO TULL on a Symphonic bio. LOL

But we once corrected a bio made by Erik (Who in those days was authorized to create a link for his store) and it caused a scandal by Erik Ouch, who said we were boycotting him, so we didn't touched the one for Chris, I will personally make a new one, now that Erik is not here.

Please Robert, make a new Echolyn bio, I'll be thankful, last week I made a one for SQUACKETT and one for a Kraut band which I was familiar with, so I know how genre teams need this help.

Thanks

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - June 14 2012 at 09:14

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 08:23
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Chris Squire.

Thoughts?

I once tried to correct a bio made by Eroik (Who in those days was authorized to create a link for his store) and it caused a scandal by Erik Ouch, who said we were boycotting him, so we didn't touched the one for Chris, I wuill personally make a new one, now tghat Erik is not here.

Please Robert, make a new Echolyn bio, I'll be thankful, last week I made a one for SQUACKETT and one for a Kraut band which I was familiar with, so I know how genre teams need this help.

Thanks

Iván

Thanks for your response Ivan.
Yes I noticed it was by Erik and was wondering how best to proceed. As he is not around so much now I mean. I understand it can be a sensitive issue but this biography is not up to scratch. Thank you for stepping up to the plate.

Ian
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 09:09
As any decent obsessive compulsive, had to write a Chris Squire Bio that replaced the review Erik wrote.

Already posted.

Iván

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 09:11
Excellent work Ivan. A worthy biography.Clap
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 09:20
I have put up a new photo too.
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aapatsos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2012 at 02:45
Ayreon biography needs serious revamping - one of the most popular bands on this site

Any takers? Big smile
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2012 at 02:51
^I agree. That one is quite awful. 
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2012 at 03:37
Good thread Ian, since over the years I saw hundreds of bios that were lacking or just awful. I can help where I can.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>