Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Biographies Needing Attention

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 19>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2017 at 10:05
^ I can see no problem with your approach, just the opposite - we are supposed to take pleasure from our activities here, right? - as long as we agree to sign and date (this way making it clear to others it was already taken care of)
And maybe also posting here our progresses so we can all feel "the pulse" Big smile

aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aapatsos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2017 at 12:23
Comments by Ken, Steve and Jose noted and agreed

Btw where were you Steve during the weekend? HRH was a blast :-)

Edited by aapatsos - November 20 2017 at 12:23
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2017 at 00:06
Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

Comments by Ken, Steve and Jose noted and agreed

Btw where were you Steve during the weekend? HRH was a blast :-)

I'm afraid that I spend so much time away from home with work these days, it would be difficult to justify a weekend of prog the other end of Wales......
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2017 at 09:32
Ian & Luca (I realize Greg may be on hold for a while)

Guys, we look forward to have your feedback on last comments - any tips before we declare take-off ?

I'll add another one: I usually include hiperlinks to  related artists, e.g. band members individual pages, took this from my mentor Eugene and it is hiper convenient (think of newcomers exploring a genre !)
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aapatsos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2017 at 16:29
^ Please teach us how :-) I always wanted to do that
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2017 at 04:41
^ LOL Not "teach", just share the knowledge...

I'll PM you so you can keep it safe and locked, ready to use (anybody else ???) Cool
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2017 at 08:45
Hey, crew, are you leaving me ? Thought we had an honest commitment here...please report back or I'll send Dirty Harry after your scalps Angry
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2017 at 08:53
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2017 at 09:23
You too !!! LOL
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2017 at 09:27
The task seems less casual than I thought it would be and a whole lot more daunting, to be honest. My doctor's advice after my stroke is to avoid stress, which includes potential visits from Dirty Harry.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2017 at 09:35
Too late, he's already on the way now...
 (but  the guy is lately a lot slower then he used to, TBH I'm beginning to think of a replacement)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2017 at 09:44
Damn the doctor's advice, I wish Harry would hurry up and get it over with.

I will say that I did take the time to start going through Indo-Prog/ Raga Rock to look for bios that I think need revision (I personally don't like to edit people's work unless there are glaring-to-me errors, and if I do edit I don't like to put my name as having updated it).

I recommend a topic in the collab zone to keep track of changes.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2017 at 09:58
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I recommend a topic in the collab zone to keep track of changes.

How's that ? - Greg, please elaborate so I can fully understand what you mean ...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2017 at 10:13
I mean that we could have a thread in the collab zone to discuss this more privately, and with ones that the updater decides to majorly rewrite, we could paste those unaltered bios in that thread and link to our changes. It may be that the collab who added the artists will not like our changes and decide to make changes him or herself (I don't want people to feel publicly shamed in some cases -- I know I've written crap ones). With minor changes, such as editing grammar, adding a bit of info, minor updating, and adding links, I don't think it matters much. Incidentally, when it's an original bio, I look at editing them a bit like editing someones review (it's that person's intellectual property by my standards and I would want to be careful when dealing with their property-- that's not how the site sees it, mind you, nor is it a legal position).
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2017 at 11:53
I understand and mostly agree, but that pre-consultation collides with the fact that maybe over 80% of Bios are not signed... for the most part then, we'd be left in a limbo...
On the other hand, perhaps half the bios are ... expendable, to put it mildly  - common sense would advise us to have no remorse from updating these (which are the main target of my prior challenge two weeks ago)
Well, as always to decide something one has to make choices
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2017 at 12:07
I’m only personally concerned with major changes when I believe that a collab wrote an original bio, and still see no problem with updating/ expanding on those.   That’s about my personal comfort level.   Many of the worst bios have been ones that have been copied from the bands and read as PR pieces, though we have also had original ones that read almost like propaganda, I know a good bio should be informative and objective. I rather made the mistake in ones I wrote of putting too much of my personality and opinions in them in an effort to make them more unique., so they acted too much as reviews.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2017 at 13:01
^ I hear you, bro Approve

In a perfect world, consulting with the author (when identified) and/or the genre collabs would be great but I fear this to be impracticable and non-productive on a large scale in our real-virtual little corner.

For a start I would restrict our target to those Bios from the most representative bands/artists that clearly have greater problems.
And use common sense along the way: if it's so bad as to demand our urgent attention then, what the heck, no reason to fear hurting the authorship feelings  of an unknown/careless/uninspired biographer.

In my view only borderline cases would reclaim, of course, a more careful (and time-consuming) approach like you cleverly suggested, e.g. posting the proposed updates for public  discussion on a dedicated topic.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2017 at 14:51
I'm still game, just percolating ideas at the moment.  Are we supposed to have started or are we waiting for approval from a few?  Also, when you say links to related artists, do you mean links to their PA pages?  I think that's what I gathered
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2017 at 16:15
Hi Ken,
My initial goal was (and remains) to us sharing ideas & tips for a better page editing - the actual writing  being a totally personal affair.
I've posted a couple, and in fact have a few more up my sleeves, but still hoping to debate and eventually get some consensus before  going to  action.
About the links, yes - I mean PA pages of relates artists, although more rarely I also add (but at the bottom with a note "See Also:") link/s to external site/s with extra information besides the Official Webpage.

If you need any help for composing the clickable links just let me know.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2017 at 16:26
yes I think I might need help with clickable links since I don't think the bio editor makes it easy to do this like our wonderful full reply editor
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 19>