Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Biographies Needing Attention

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 19>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2017 at 16:25
Revised the Spriguns bio.  Most of it was English cleanup and adding the timelines and a bit about Mandy Morton's solo career, as well as live links to related bands
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2017 at 17:02
^ No photo nor webpage ?

Added both, please see if you agree...

Edited by Quinino - December 23 2017 at 17:10
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2017 at 20:24
Clap

I noticed the lack of photo and then promptly forgot...
and I suppose a wikipedia home page is better than no page at all, although the link does state "official home page".  So many bands don't have one, or have several, none of which are truly "official"

Thanks!
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2017 at 04:36
You're welcome, Ken - it's you who've done the major work.
(I specialized on detecting these and other flaws - awful occupation but perversely rewarding LOL)
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2017 at 11:26
Surreal's bio needs an update: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=4027.

The band was added way back in 2008, when I don't think proper 'team' evaluations were the order of the day, and was based on their 2008 full album debut "Autumn", and although the initial band was temporarily suspended while its creator Corey Lennox was at the Berklee College of Music in Boston, they managed to cut the album together over college breaks.

There has since been the full album "Someday Was Today", released in 2011 (which is included on the page), The Autumn EP released on April 2, 2014 (which isn't) and "The Rush", which was released at the beginning of December this year (and also isn't on the Surreal PA page as yet). The band photo is way out of date, and the website link points to reverbnation, when they actually have an official site at http://www.surrealband.com/.

There is an official electronic press kit with the current bio, band members etc at http://www.surrealband.com/electronic_press_kit/, and their earlier incarnation can be read about via their old press kit at http://www.surrealband.com/files/Surreal_Press_Kit.pdf.

A current band photo can be found at http://www.surrealband.com/img/sfpl.jpg (it is quite large, and will need resizing).

They no longer list the 2008 "Autumn" full album amongst their official releases, and Corey Lennox has said on facebook that the album was "interesting". They did release it, but it was their old high school stuff. He went away to college, and re-did the lineup 4 years later when the "official" Surreal was formed. They actually tried to bury the original "Autumn" album since it was so poorly executed, but since that was the album upon which their initial inclusion here was based, it will have to remain in their discography. Their full official releases as of now include "Someday Was Today" (2011). "The Autumn EP" (2014) and "The Rush" (2017). He said he would love it if the band had an updated portal on progarchives, saying: "It's a fantastic site. And yes we've got a new bio and photos and everything at www.surrealband.com!"

The two missing albums are:

'The Autumn EP' (2014) (https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/surreal14).

1. Breath Taken (8:19)
2. In Us (4:58)
3. Stars (5:32)
4. Hannah (5:47)
5. Falling from Reality (Acoustic) (4:25)

1. Day (1:36)
2. The Whirlwind (8:41)
3. Skyla (6:08)
4. Rescue Me (3:43)
5. Stay (5:26)
6. Endings Are Beginnings (Opening) (1:31)
7. Time to Waste (4:05)
8. Alaska (4:21)
9. The Unrealized (2:34)
10. Rivers in the Sky (6:14)
11. Endings Are Beginnings (Finale) (1:54)
12. Night (2:11)

Band line up for these missing albums can be found in the latest electronic press kit (link above).

I can try to add them myself, but have been having a lot of problem with this facility since the beginning of the year, with the introduction of Cloudflare protection on the site, so may not succeed.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2017 at 12:11
^ I uploaded photo and webpage link and will leave the rest to you, is it OK?  (would you consider editing a new Bio and post it here ?)
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2017 at 15:00
^ Will do my best Jose.

Just checking a few details with Corey regarding the current status of Julie Holmes within the band and then I'll attempt to add the two missing albums (the existing album 'Someday Was Today' will need editing by yourself, since it currently has no line up / musicians details, and I can't edit existing albums myself). Will post the new bio, and the musicians involved in the 'Someday Was Today' album here when I'm done adding the other two albums.

Edit: What a nightmare posting just this bit of purely plain text here - nine 'access denied' errors already...
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2017 at 15:02
I hope I'll find some spare time in the next few days. 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2017 at 15:26
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

Edit: What a nightmare posting just this bit of purely plain text here - nine 'access denied' errors already...

It is really awful to drain our patience this way Angry (Do never forget to backup before posting)

I'll update Someday Was Today and will be waiting for your following contributions, thanks mate!

EDIT: Ok, did a little facelift on both present  albums - please comment any incorrection

Edited by Quinino - December 25 2017 at 15:47
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2018 at 21:31
OK, I'm now ready to go with this. I can confirm that only Corey Lennox and Brandon Horsley remain from the line up that gave us 'The Autumn EP' in 2014. I therefore wrote a new bio, complied from various sources, and sent it to Corey via facebook messenger for his approval. He is completely satisfied with the information it contains, so here we are:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SURREAL is the brainchild of Corey LENNOX, a graduate of the Berklee College Of Music, and is a band of four young musicians from Atlanta, Georgia, USA playing art rock with indie/alternative transitions. The original line up consisted of Brandon HORSLEY (keys), Corey LENNOX (vocals, bass, guitar, keys), Max EVE (guitar) and Kyle McCARTHY (drums), but in the early stages Corey recorded a lot of the material in Surreal’s studio by himself, and although the initial band was temporarily suspended while he was at the Berklee College of Music in Boston, they did manage to cut their 2008 debut album 'Autumn' together during college breaks. This album was made with female guest vocals, containing catchy melodies, and song structures similar to BIG BIG TRAIN, DREAM THEATER and IZZ - as well as more straight forward rock rhythms.

Upon his return from college in the spring of 2010, with Stephen KELLER replacing Max EVE on guitar, Patrick EGAN replacing Kyle McCARTHY on drums, and the addition of Julie HOLMES on bass and vocals, Corey began working on a new album called "Someday Was Today", which was finally completed about a year later in May 2011. Five songs from the original 'Autumn' album were eventually re-worked with this new "official" Surreal line up and released as 'The Autumn EP' in 2014. The original 'Autumn' album from the band's old high school days was considered by Lennox and Horsley to be rather poorly executed, and they have actually tried to bury it since. 

Despite the project's music receiving international acclaim and a fair amount of independent radio play, it has proven a difficult task for Lennox and Horsley to find and keep other musicians who share their passion and commitment, and consequently more lineup changes followed in the wake of The Autumn EP's release. That all changed in 2016 however, with the addition of a brand new rhythm section comprised of Atlanta-based songwriter and performer Daniel GRAHAM (who is also the chief organiser of the annual 'Prognosis Atlanta' DIY music festival, as well the ex-frontman of the band OMNIPRESENT (http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=8427), on bass at the beginning of 2016, and Jeffrey MATTHEWS (a graduate of The Atlanta Institute of Music & Media, who had also previously worked with OMNIPRESENT) on drums in September of that year. 

This fresh, revitalized lineup - resembling something like an Atlanta scene supergroup - performed numerous small-scale gigs in 2016 and 2017, gradually testing and refining the material that was to become their latest album, "The Rush" (released in early December 2017) - a richly textured, emotionally charged, and genre-bending album considered by Lennox to be one of the finest works of his musical career, and featuring a 27-minute prog rock epic called "Endings Are Beginnings" - a suite of music that showcases not only Corey's compositional prowess, but the talents and arranging sensibilities of each individual band member.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I added the two missing albums without any problems, but the band photograph I included previously (and still being used in their current electronic press kit) is actually their old line up from 2014, and three of them have since left the band.

Hope this is all OK.

Edit: Daniel Graham's old band Omnipresent (which Jeff Matthews helped out with in the latter stages) disbanded in November 2016, but still have an official website at http://omnipresentband.wixsite.com/omnipresentonline. The progarchives band website link for them at the moment is just their bandcamp page: https://omnipresentband.bandcamp.com/.

Edited by yam yam - January 07 2018 at 22:23
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 16:23
^ David - now you nailed it, mister, good job !

I updated both bands per your info (with respect to the photo I wouldn't mind changing it with a newer one - from an archival POV better yet to keep an historical memory, only my opinion anyway)

Thanks
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2018 at 04:59
Nothing new under the sun ?
We need Bios, guys, don't be lazy Pinch - it's a New Year, we have to  renew our commitment. Approve
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2018 at 09:26
^ in a bit of a transition at the moment so it's hard for me to bring the focus needed, but hope to get back to it soon!
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2018 at 12:33
... I myself with less disposition for writing than I'd like to Ouch
Bradley George View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradley George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2018 at 22:35
Hi Quinino.

My name is Matthew Swindells from the band Mancunian Candidate.

Firstly I would like to thank Progarchives for adding Mancunian Candidate to the crossover prog category.

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=10358

Thanks! Smile

I realize that there must have been a misunderstanding of my Facebook bio which I have now amended.

Regarding the sentence that reads-

" many triumphant gigs were to be had including US and Canadian tours, Fuji Rock festival in Japan, Glastonbury, Leeds and Redding Festivals in UK, live performances for BBC TV & Radio and many great festival performances in Holland, Denmark, Belgium, France, Spain, Ireland,Turkey, or Czech Republic"

This sentence was pertaining to my old band Fila Brazillia in which I was tour drummer and not Mancunian Candidate.

I apologize! I realize that the original bio could easily be misinterpreted.

Is it possible to amend the Mancunian Candidate bio here on the PA site? 

If its any help, here below is a more current version.

Thanks

Matthew

Mancunian Candidate is the project name and album by drummer/vocalist Matthew Swindells and marks his return to the world of progressive, melodic and symphonic rock.

Swindells, who hails from Manchester, England, now resides in San Francisco. He served as drummer and vocalist in the highly acclaimed progressive rock band Moth Vellum. Matthew has also previously collaborated with Matt Bissonette singing lead vocals on the bassist’s 2004 release Raising Lazarus, which featured a Swindells original “Money in My Tea/In My Pockets.” He was live tour drummer for electronic music pioneers Fila Brazillia and drummed, strummed and screamed on Fila’s final opus Dix (2004).

Mancunian Candidate finds Matthew Swindells in the role of drummer, lead vocalist, keyboards/synths and acoustic guitar.

He is joined by the exceptionally talented Matthew Charles Heulitt (Moetar, Narada Michael Walden, Ziggabo Modeliste) and Johnny Heyes (Mica Paris, Tito Jackson, Errol Brown, Badbone & Co) on electric guitar.

The low-end is covered by a star-studded cast of bass players, with rumblings courtesy of Matt Bissonette (Elton John, David Lee Roth, Joe Satriani), Neil Fairclough (Queen & Adam Lambert), Jon Evans (Tori Amos, Sarah Mclauchlan), Ollie Collins (Black Rivers, Alan Parsons, Badly Drawn Boy) and long-time Swindells collaborator Andy Shepley. Mandolin is played by Jasper Wilkinson (I Am Your Autopilot).

Swindells’s lyrics reference current world affairs but were inspired by a collection of short stories from the turn of the 19th century plus writings by Noam Chomsky and George Orwell.

The music was expertly recorded and mixed by bay area engineer/ producer Dan Feiszli at What’s for lunch?studios and mastered by Michael Romanowski at coast mastering.

Jasper Wilkinson, Jon Evans and Matt Boudreau also provided additional engineering.

DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2018 at 22:59
^ Thanks, and could I use your bio you provided above? Smile
Bradley George View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradley George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2018 at 08:47
Thanks Damo!
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 13:58
What a shame we couldn't get the "movement" going - back in November I launched the idea but, after the initial rush, I think the project lost momentum and we  have notice of no updates lately.

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=87340&PID=5507715#5507715

(Maybe I'm wrong and it has been happening unnoticed in the shadow)

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 15:04
I’m very sorry, but it’s exactly since November that I’m f@(/ing busy with my job
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2018 at 15:19
^ I'm trying to revive our "posse", please come back as soon as you can Thumbs Up

(good luck with your job - we couldn't possibly have you on the PA payroll right now)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 19>