Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Biographies Needing Attention

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 19>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2018 at 09:09
Updated Panic Room bio to upload, please. Cheers:

Following the decision of the members of KARNATAKA to end the band’s activities (this by the agreement of all members – it is a common misconception that there was a spilt to form a new outfit), Jonathan EDWARDS (keyboards), Paul DAVIS (guitar) and Gavin GRIFFITHS (drums; MOSTLY AUTUMN, FISH) formed PANIC ROOM, with Anne-Marie HELDER (vocals, guitar, flute; MOSTLY AUTUMN). Alan VAUGHAN (bass), who completed the line-up, joined them shortly afterwards.

Explaining the missive behind their debut album, 2008's 'Visionary Position', Jonathan EDWARDS (principle co-writer, along with Anne-Marie) says “. we really wanted to explore all the different kinds of music that turn us on and make something fresh and original. Because of the common background in KARNATAKA that Anne, Paul, Gavin and myself shared it was inevitable that some elements of our musical past would resurface in PANIC ROOM's music, but there are so many other influences and elements coming through as well."

Indeed, their music undoubtedly incorporates symphonic prog mainstream rock, acoustic, ambient soundscapes, folk, jazz and even eastern influences. Far from being an archetypal “crossover prog” act, the band provide us with a truly eclectic scope of music. This is similarly reflected in their lyrics, principally, but not exclusively, penned by Anne-Marie, who explores "futuristic dystopian sci-fi worlds and 'Arabian Night' fantasies as well as achingly honest love songs". Such tracks serve as vehicles for the diverse, richly emotive and wide-ranging singing styles mastered by Anne-Marie, who is one of the most accomplished vocalists on the present UK progressive circuit.

Naturally, PANIC ROOM will appeal to those who admire the 'new wave' of female fronted, progressively influenced bands within the UK scene, which had been initiated by MOSTLY AUTUMN and KARNATAKA, during the late '90s. However, PANIC ROOM's music stands apart as being more diverse than others within this sub-genre.

The band have released four original studio albums, namely Visionary Position, Satellite, Skin, and Incarnate, one acoustic reworking album Essence, and, latterly in 2017, a Pledge Music fan funded live DVD/CD, Screens Live in London, which is only available at the time of writing on their website (see link below).

However, in an exclusive interview with PA, which can be viewed on the forum (Interviews section), Jonathan Edwards confirmed definite plans to record a new studio album with the present line-up of he, Anne-Marie, Gavin, bassist Yatim Halimi, and guitarist Dave Foster. Panic Room, therefore, continue to be very much an ongoing and important force within the progressive rock scene.

Biography updated by Steve Lazenby (Lazland) February 2018

Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2018 at 09:28
^ Will do, thanks Steve !

EDIT: And done !

Edited by Quinino - February 17 2018 at 10:25
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 10:40
With the passing away of Didier Lockwood I noticed his Bio here on PA is ridiculously incomplete - can anyone please embrace the task and do him (finally) some justice ?
(I am updating little by little his discog)
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2018 at 14:05
Hi all
I've returned slowly to this work and updated a couple of artists.  

Galahad (Germany) needed to have a couple of albums added going back to 2011, one of which even discogs and rateyourmusic didn't have yet.  Also updated Sparifankal.  I get some fun by reviewing rarely reviewed albums while at least updating the info to include when and where they were formed and what their current status is.  I'm traveling Germany virtually for the next while  Big smile

Ken
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2018 at 14:45
Ken, I could get some difficult to find info on these sites - see if it can help you too Geek

http://www.babyblaue-seiten.de/
http://www.krautrock-musikzirkus.de/
http://www.germanrock.de/
web.archive.org
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2018 at 10:35
What a disappointment this embryo of a Biog rescue task-force has become Cry
(... well, it didn't hurt trying, thanks folks, life goes on ...)
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2018 at 11:11
Leave it open. Sooner or later it will rebirth
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2018 at 23:11
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Leave it open. Sooner or later it will rebirth

Indeed it will, but for me it will have to sit until I am on annual leave. I am simply too busy otherwise.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2018 at 03:24
Hug Please come back ! LOL

Thumbs Up
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aapatsos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2018 at 05:31
Don't lose faith Jose. We are still here somewhere
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2018 at 12:24
Here's one that could do with a bit of TLC and an update: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=3907 (Frequency Drift).

If no proper collaborators step forward to the plate within the next week or so, I'll have a go at it myself...better if an expert does it though. Embarrassed
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2018 at 13:48
^ Hey, mate, get down at it straight away and forget the "expert" thang
(with a little effort everybody can do an excellent work to proudly share with the community)
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2018 at 15:55
^ Absolutely.   Write it yourself.   If it stinks we'll let you know.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2018 at 18:54
OK...If you insist:
FREQUENCY DRIFT was formed in Bayreuth, Germany, by classically trained keyboard player and multi-instrumentalist Andreas HACK in 2006 - the band subsequently releasing their debut, ‘Personal Effects Pt. 1’ in 2008 via Musea. This conceptual work, based around the tragic tale of two sisters in a futuristic setting, was inspired by films like ‘Bladerunner’, ‘Ghost in a Shell’ etc, and told the story of a girl named River living in 2046 and having problems with an imaginary association named ‘Diomedeidae’.

Katja HÜBNER was the impressive female vocalist on this first album, and the follow-up album, ‘Personal Effects Pt. 2’ was released by Cyclops in 2010, the new album once again showcasing FREQUENCY DRIFT’s talent for powerful, soulful melodies and atmosphere. The album continued River's story, with new melodic, atmospheric songs - including a wider range of instruments - and female vocal contributions this time from Nicole SCHARNAGL, Kerstin LEIDNER and Christine METTNER.

For the band’s 2011 album ‘Ghosts’, Antje AUER had joined them permanently on vocals, and this release saw the first notable appearance of later band member Nerissa SCHWARZ (electric harp) as guest composer and musician, as well as an evolution towards an enthralling, melancholic mixture of art rock, ambient, folk and metal. Martin FOX was now the band’s permanent drummer, with original drummer Wolfgang OSTERMANN also performing as a guest on several tracks, and several other guest musicians being involved in the making of the album.

'Laid to Rest' (2012, Gentle Art of Music) continued this path, with world music influences and an even more varied instrumentation - featuring gemshorn, flute and clarinet alongside the harp and violin. There was a another change of drummer for this album (Jasper JÖRIS) - with his partner Barbara JÖRIS being responsible for the gemshorn and various other medieval instruments - and Martin SCHNELLA of SEVEN STEPS TO THE GREEN DOOR and FLAMING ROW fame guesting on acoustic & electric guitars on the album’s final track.

The international success of their albums earned FREQUENCY DRIFT an invitation to play live at the 2012 “Night of the Prog” festival on the famous Loreley open-air stage, a performance called one of the highlights in 9 years of NOTP by the festival’s manager in the German magazine ‘Eclipsed’. FREQUENCY DRIFT’s 5th album ‘Over’ (2014, Gentle Art of Music / Soulfood) established a writing collaboration between Andreas and Nerissa, and was marked by further experimentation with electric harp soundscapes and keyboard textures. 

An ambitious and eclectic work, ‘Over’ offers a unique mixture of old school progressive rock, post rock, pop, classical and world music. Isa FALLENBACHER and guest singer Agathe LABUS shared the vocals, and Martin SCHNELLA again guested on acoustic & electric guitars along with Kalle WALLNER (RPWL, BLIND EGO) on bass. The band had no permanent drummer for this particular album, the role being fulfilled by another guest musician in Phil Paul RISSETTIO. 

In the same year, FREQUENCY DRIFT released ‘Summer’, a wistful collection of previously unreleased songs, and was re-joined by their original permanent drummer Wolfgang OSTERMANN, a move which brought fresh rhythmic drive to the music. In the months that followed, the band performed live at renowned  international festivals, including Summer’s End (UK) and Progdreams (NL), and as main act at the live club De Pul (NL).

February 2016 saw the release of the band’s 6th album ‘Last’. Stranger and darker than its predecessors, yet still highly melodic, with stunning artwork and evocative lyrics, it was FREQUENCY DRIFT’s most cohesive and cinematic work to date, with Martin SCHNELLA now a full band member on electric & acoustic guitars, and Melanie MAU also joining the band on vocals.

Although they have an obvious love for album titles suggesting death and finality, FREQUENCY DRIFT are still alive and kicking as of 2018 - despite their continuing line-up changes over the years - and their latest album ‘Letters to Maro’, featuring new singer and lyricist Irini ALEXIA, was released on 13th April 2018 via Gentle Art of Music / Soulfood.

Frequency Drift currently consists of:
- Irini Alexia / vocals
- Andreas Hack / keys, synths, guitar, bass, mandolin
- Nerissa Schwarz / electric harp, mellotron, synths
- Wolfgang Ostermann / drums, wavedrum
- Michael Bauer / additional guitars and live guitars
- Marco Geipel / live bass

Feel free to 'tweak' it wherever necessary. Embarrassed
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 07:03
^ Though I don't have a profound knowledge of the band, I think it's OK.

(Before I upload it to the page, do you want to give  a word  to Rivertree, the previous biographer?)
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 08:29
I fully agree that Uwe should really be the one to have the first say on any updates to Frequency Drift's biography, since it was he who wrote the first one. The biography desperately needs an update, since it is now seven or eight years old, and this is a very well-regarded and popular band, with six additional releases and numerous line up changes having occurred since they were added to PA. I have retained much of what Uwe wrote in his first bio and combined it with some expanded info as detailed in the band's own story which can be found on their official website and their facebook page, but I've no doubt that Uwe would have access to even more information being a fellow-countryman, and far more familiar with the musicians who have contributed to the project over the years than I am.

So yes, please speak to Uwe before uploading my bio, just in case he would like to write the update himself, and of course credit him with providing the original one if he doesn't want to be involved again now (say something like "Biography by Rivertree, with updates via yam yam and Quinino).
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 11:32
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

MA bio added, thanks again Steve - please take a peek and let me know any possible link you'd like to see also included

Thanks Jose. All good, but we do have a missing link on the site re Odin's Dragonfly, who do not appear to be here? I will make a new additions suggestion this week, because this is a surprising omission from the archives.

Odin Dragonfly are still active, and are currently in the process of finishing off a new album (there is only the "Offerings" album from 2007 available at the moment). I'm keeping my eye on this one, and if no suggestion for their inclusion in our database exists when the new album's release is imminent, I will make one myself. There is already a pretty decent case for their inclusion as it is though imho, so if you want to do the honours in the meantime Steve... Embarrassed
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 11:45
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Hi all, it's been a while.  I'm starting to get back into Prog after a few year hiatus and have been kicking around the idea of collaborating to the site again.  This seems like it may be a good place to start. 

If someone wants to give me a Neo band or two I'll see what I can do regarding their bio.  Like I said, it's been a while and I'm dipping my toes back in.  This may be a way to rekindle my passion.  Give me a band and I'll see what I can write up.

Here you go Tom - a decent Swedish Neo outfit whose bio could do with a bit of a facelift: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=123Big smile

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 11:48
Two more fine bands from Europe in need of a biographical update for anyone who might be interested:
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 12:20
And one from the USA: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=712 (Neal Morse)

The existing biography is already quite lengthy, but much of it relates to Neal's split from his former band Spock's Beard, and it is actually almost 14 years out of date, finishing with the release of his 2004 solo album 'One'. Major re-write required here methinks for anyone who feels up to the task.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 19>