Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Biographies Needing Attention

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 19>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snow wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 11:33
Here's my attempt at updating the bio. Thank you.

US outfit CHEST ROCKWELL, named after a character in the motion picture Boogie Nights, was formed by Josh Hines (guitars, vocals) in late 2003, initially as a solo project.

In the spring of 2004 Nick Rouse (drums) and Nick Stewart (bass, keyboards) became involved, and at that point the project ended and the band was born.

2005 saw them release their first album, Back to Square One, a creation blending elements typical of indie rock with influences from acts like Yes and Rush. Just after the release of this album Seth Wilson (guitars) was added to the band's line-up.

With the expanded line-up firmly settled they hit the studio in the summer of 2006, and 2007 saw them issue the production Chest Rockwell vs. The World, a 42 minutes long epic divided into 8 parts, whilst adding both jazz metal and some folk elements to the the progressive-tinged indie rock explored on their debut.

In the summer of 2007 the compilation Flavor was released that featured songs from both previous albums, a new track to be on an upcoming album, and a re-recording of an older song. 

After intensive years with songwriting and concerts the band took a small break after promoting their second album; but in the summer of 2008 they started preparing material for their third album; Total Victory; which was issued in the spring of 2009. This album was a finalist in the Italian Prog Awards under "Best Prog Attitude" and gained the band a nice home in the prog genre.

In 2011 the band returned to the studio and recorded part 1 of an album retelling the Trojan War. Titled Laugh and the World Laughs with You... the EP was released in December of that year. Shortly before the release the band added keyboardist/guitarist David Cole to the line up. 

The summer of 2012 saw Chest Rockwell again in the studio to record part 2 of their Trojan War saga. The EP ...Weep and You Weep Alone was the first recording of the now 5-piece band and was released in the spring of 2013. 

In November 2013 the band recorded a two song 7" titled 6ix that featured a new song incorporating elements of stoner metal, and a cover of a post-metal song. The downloadable version had a bonus electronic remix not on the vinyl. 

Six songs into writing the follow up album keyboardist David Cole announced his departure from the band in 2015 and moved across the country. As a result the writing process stalled. Later that summer the band issued the compilation titled Laugh and the World Laughs with You... Weep and You Weep Alone which naturally combined the two previous EPs and switched up the track order to put them in their proper story order. They also issued a short demo collection titled Rippin' It that featured piano driven pieces Cole had written that would no longer be played by the band. 

The band continued to play shows for the next few years and played out 5 of their 6 new songs at most shows but never recorded them or wrote more. Chest Rockwell started playing more shows under the alter ego Peter the Freshman, which served as a 90s cover band. 

The band played a 15 year anniversary show in July 2019 and went on hiatus. Singer/guitarist Josh Hines requested permission from the band to continue to release new material under the Chest Rockwell name and everyone agreed to it. In November 2019, the first new song in over 5 years was posted, titled Farewell, Voyager, with the announcement of a new full length album.

In March of 2020 the single Proteus was released and in April the album Ghost of a Man Still Alive was released. This was the first entirely solo Chest Rockwell album since the debut demo in February 2004. The album incorporated more metal elements with extensive synth work and a new Arabic influence on a few tracks. Ghost was well received by critics and made several best of the year lists. 

November 2020 saw the release of a split live album with The Hungry Ears. The show was recorded a decade earlier in October 2010 but had never been made available to the public in its entirety. 

Hines initially stated there would be no more Chest Rockwell unless the band reunited but it has since been announced that another new solo album titled The Existentialist will arrive in 2021 along with the first public release of the six demos for the "lost album." 
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 11:28
^ Thanks, Josh, I've tried to sort out what has been changed.
Black font - parts of the old bio, blue font - new text, strikethrough font - text to be deleted from old bio, red font - my suggestions to add or correct something. I've also added quotation marks to the album titles.

=================================================================

US outfit CHEST ROCKWELL, named after a character in the motion picture Boogie Nights, was formed by Josh Hines (guitars, vocals) in late 2003, initially as a solo project.

In the spring of 2004 Nick Rouse (drums) and Nick Stewart (bass, keyboards) became involved, and at that point the project ended and the band was born.

2005 saw them releas
ing their first album, “Back to Square One”, a creation blending elements typical to indie rock with influences from acts like YES and RUSH. Just after the release of this album Seth Wilson (guitars) was added to the band's line-up.

Chest Rockwell has been an active live unit ever since they became a band, but they do manage to find the time to visit recording studios now and then. With the expanded line-up firmly settled they hit the studio in the summer of 2006, and 2007 saw them issuing the production “Chest Rockwell vs. The World”, a 42 minute-long epic divided into 8 parts, whilst adding both jazz, metal and some folk elements to the the progressive-tinged indie rock explored on their debut.

In the summer of 2007 the compilation “Flavor” was released that featured songs from both previous albums, a new track to be on an upcoming album, and a re-recording of an older song. 

After intensive years with songwriting and concerts the band took a small break after promoting their second album; but in the summer of 2008 they started preparing material for their third album, “Total Victory”, which was issued in the spring of 2009. This album was a finalist in the Italian Prog Awards under "Best Prog Attitude" and gained the band a nice home in the prog genre.

In 2011 the band returned to the studio and recorded part 1 of an album retelling the story of the Trojan War. Titled “Laugh and the World Laughs with You” the EP was released in December of that year. Shortly before the release the band added keyboardist/guitarist David Cole to the line up. 

The summer of 2012 saw Chest Rockwell again in the studio to record part 2 of their Trojan War saga. The EP “...Weep and You Weep Alone” was the first recording of the now 5-piece band and was released in the spring of 2013. 

In November 2013 the band recorded a two song 7" titled “6ix” that featured a new song incorporating elements of stoner metal, and a cover of a post-metal song. The downloadable version had a bonus electronic remix not on the vinyl. 

Six songs into writing the follow up album keyboardist David Cole announced his departure from the band in 2015 and moved across the country. As a result the writing process stalled. Later that summer the band issued the compilation titled “Laugh and the World Laughs with You... Weep and You Weep Alone” which naturally combined the two previous EPs and switched up the track order to put them in their proper story order. They also issued a short demo collection titled “Rippin' It” that featured piano driven pieces Cole had written that would no longer be played by the band. 

The band continued to play shows for the next few years and played out 5 of their 6 new songs at most shows but never recorded them or wrote more. CHEST ROCKWELL started playing more shows under the alter ego Peter the Freshman, which served as a 90s cover band. 

The band played a 15 year anniversary show in July 2019 and went on hiatus. Singer/guitarist Josh Hines requested permission from the band to continue to release new material under the CHEST ROCKWELL name and everyone agreed to it. In November 2019 the first new song in over 5 years was posted, titled “Farewell, Voyager”, with the announcement of a new full length album.

In March of 2020 the single “Proteus” was released and in April the album “Ghost of a Man Still Alive” was released. This was the first entirely solo CHEST ROCKWELL album since the debut demo in February 2004. The album incorporated more metal elements with extensive synth work and a new Arabic influence on a few tracks. “Ghost” was well received by critics and made several best of the year lists. 

November 2020 saw the release of a split live album with THE HUNGRY EARS. The show was recorded a decade earlier in October 2010 but had never been made available to the public in its entirety. 

Hines initially stated there would be no more CHEST ROCKWELL unless the band reunited but it has since been announced that another new solo album titled “The Existentialist” will arrive in 2021 along with the first public release of the six demos for the "lost album". 

================ Updated by Josh Hines (?), January 2021 ================

Josh, please look and let us know whether you agree with suggestions.
Some grammar details:
I've changed 
"2005 saw them release their first album" to "2005 saw them releasing their first album"
and
"2007 saw them issue the production" to "2007 saw them issuing the production"
But I may be wrong because English isn't my native language, so please confirm or decline these small changes.

And, finally:
1. Are you Josh Hines? Smile
2. What page could be used as the band's site instead of current (and pretty poor) MySpace page?

Edited by NotAProghead - January 19 2021 at 11:44
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
snow wolf View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snow wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 12:44
Those changes look good. And yes I’m Josh 😉.

For websites:
https://chestrockwell.bandcamp.com/
Facebook.com/therealchestrockwell

I can get you a more recent picture as well. That one up there is from 2006.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 12:58

Joey Frevola biography simply states:

Born in 1993 (Nashville, USA)

Joey Frevola is a progressive metal artist from Nashville, Tennessee.
He also plays with UK band KYROS and Nashville band Edge of Reality.

Note: Joey ISN'T from Nashville, Tennessee - that's just where his band Edge of Reality are based.

Joey FREVOLA is an award-winning film composer and guitarist, currently based in Los Angeles, California. He began writing music at the age of twelve, and formed progressive metal band EDGE OF REALITY during high school in his hometown of Ft. Lauderdale, FL. After studying composition at Belmont University, he also began writing and performing with UK-based progressive rock band KYROS in 2014, and in January 2019 Joey released his first solo record 'Gone' – a concept album about the last two people on earth and how they cope with their situation. The album demonstrates the more restrained side of Joey's music, featuring many orchestral instruments alongside the more usual rock band elements.

In June of 2019, Joey moved to LA to pursue his long time passion of film scoring. He currently has two short films making the film festival rounds.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 12:59
Originally posted by snow wolf snow wolf wrote:

Those changes look good. And yes I’m Josh 😉.

For websites: 
https://chestrockwell.bandcamp.com/
Facebook.com/therealchestrockwell

I can get you a more recent picture as well. That one up there is from 2006.

Thanks, Josh, I'll contact the genre team to approve the changes (I guess in this case it's a pure formality, I don't t think they will disagree, but anyway I have to ask their permission).

As for the picture, the current one is awful, please send us the one (not necessary most resent) which in your opinion represents the band in the best way.

Edited by NotAProghead - January 19 2021 at 13:00
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 13:30
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

Joey Frevola biography simply states:

Born in 1993 (Nashville, USA)

Joey Frevola is a progressive metal artist from Nashville, Tennessee.
He also plays with UK band KYROS and Nashville band Edge of Reality.

Note: Joey ISN'T from Nashville, Tennessee - that's just where his band Edge of Reality are based.

Joey FREVOLA is an award-winning film composer and guitarist, currently based in Los Angeles, California. He began writing music at the age of twelve, and formed progressive metal band EDGE OF REALITY during high school in his hometown of Ft. Lauderdale, FL. After studying composition at Belmont University, he also began writing and performing with UK-based progressive rock band KYROS in 2014, and in January 2019 Joey released his first solo record 'Gone' – a concept album about the last two people on earth and how they cope with their situation. The album demonstrates the more restrained side of Joey's music, featuring many orchestral instruments alongside the more usual rock band elements.

In June of 2019, Joey moved to LA to pursue his long time passion of film scoring. He currently has two short films making the film festival rounds.

Thanks, done.
I guess we don't need to contact the genre team because old bio was too poor to discuss. 

Edited by NotAProghead - January 19 2021 at 14:36
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 13:45
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

Thanks, done.
I guess we don't need to contact the genre team because old was too poor to discuss. 
Looks good, but I'd be tempted to remove the first line (left over from the old bio) "Born in 1993 (Nashville, USA)". His hometown on facebook is stated as Coconut Creek, Florida, USA, and he attended high school at Ft. Lauderdale, FL. - which is in the same locality. I can't actually confirm his age, but 1993 could well be correct for his birth year. As far as I can tell, he lived in Nashville before moving to LA in 2019.

Edit: Belmont University, where he studied from 2012-2014, is in Nashville, so he would most likely have moved there for convenience while he was studying. Joey put Edge of Reality on hold while he was studying in Nashville, and he attempted to put an entirely new band together. That band recorded a few songs, but never really made it any further. The frustration of not being able to get this group off the ground led him to eventually revive Edge of Reality and write and record a new album with them. 

Edited by yam yam - January 19 2021 at 14:02
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 14:33
^ Would it be OK if I leave only ""Born in 1993, USA"?
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 15:10

^ Would it be OK if I leave only ""Born in 1993, USA"?
I just wish I could confirm it somehow. I know that Adam Warne (founding member of the band Kyros, which Joey joined in 2014) was born on 30 August, 1993, but can't find anything on the Internet to confirm Joey's birth year to be 1993 as well. Maybe someone in the prog metal team knows where that info originally came from? I'm a bit wary to trust that birth year at the moment since it is implied in the same line that Joey's place of birth was in Nashville, which is definitely incorrect.

Edit: OK - got it now! 
(Interview published in August 2016, following the release of Edge of Reality's 'Vicious Circle' album):

Could you please tell me a bit more about yourself?

“I'm a 22 year-old guitarist and composer living in Nashville, Tennessee. I play in both Edge Of Reality, which is based in Nashville, and Kyros (formerly Synaesthesia), which is based in London.”

Aged 22 in August 2016 means he would have been born in one of the earlier months of 1994 or one of the later months of 1993. I guess it's the latter, so you could maybe write "Born in 1993, Florida, USA".

Edited by yam yam - January 19 2021 at 15:46
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 16:19
^ Thanks, done.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 11:12
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=6795

I was just reading the above biography for Brazilian band A.L.F. and in the first paragraph, second to last sentence it says "...a rainy day in April 2022 a band was born, ..." My guess is that should be April 2002 since their debut was released in 2004.

Thanks!
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 12:36
^ Thanks, done.
Not sure that the day was rainy, but anyway more likely the year was 2002. Smile
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 14:23
Bio just says:
Founded in Valladolid, Spain in 2013
Ciconia is an instrumental post-metal band from Spain

Using info from:

You could write something like:

CICONIA is an instrumental post-metal band from Valladolid, Spain, being formed by bass player Jorge FRAGUAS in 2013, with Javier ALTONAGA and Aleix ZOREDA completing the line-up on guitar and drums.

Influenced by bands such as OPETH, ANATHEMA, LONG DISTANCE CALLING, PORCUPINE TREE, LIQUID TENSION EXPERIMENT and even a touch of stoner rock, CICONIA blend the guitar sounds of classic rock and metal, creating a unique sonic experience.

They recorded their first studio album 'The Moon Sessions' in November 2013, with it being released early in 2014 and promoted during 2015 via a tour consisting of more than 50 concerts passing through more than 15 countries, and leading to them becoming the first Spanish rock band to play in Bosnia and Serbia.

The band signed a worldwide management deal with GlobMetal Promotions in 2016 prior to the release of their second album 'Winterize', this being promoted via a joint tour with the Spanish groove metal band Vita Imana in 2017.

Dani DEAN replaced Javier ALTONAGA on lead & rhythm guitars in March 2018, and later that year the band performed at the Resurrection Fest rock festival that takes place annually at Viveiro, in the region of Lugo, Spain. With this new line up, the band has since released its third album called 'Meraki' (2019).

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 15:26
^ Thanks, done.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 16:46
All we have for a bio is:
Founded in New York City, USA in 2005
Imperial Triumphant is a US black/death/avant-garde metal act formed in 2005.

You could write something like:

IMPERIAL TRIUMPHANT is a US black/death/avant-garde metal act formed by Zachary Ilya EZRIN in New York City in 2005. A number of line-up changes over several years culminated in the band as it is known today eventually forming in 2012, when Erik MALAVE joined on bass, and Kenny GROHOWSKI on drums. The band released their debut album 'Abominamentvm' that same year, and IMPERIAL TRIUMPHANT's second album, 'Abyssal Gods', was released in March 2015, with additional contributions from several guest musicians.

Steve BLANCO replaced Erik MALAVE on bass later in 2015, and since then the three-piece have equally shared the song-writing duties, with Zach's current bandmates also being professional jazz musicians. Following the release of the band's third studio album 'Vile Luxury' in 2018, IMPERIAL TRIUMPHANT embarked on their first European tour in April 2019, including a show at the Roadburn Festival in Tilburg, Netherlands. This was followed by further European dates in November 2019, including headlining the 'Cult Never Dies Stage' at Damnation Festival in Leeds, UK.

In October 2019, it was announced that IMPERIAL TRIUMPHANT had signed to Century Media Records, and their most recent album 'Alphaville' was released in July 2020, with the same basic line-up as their previous album, along with contributions from several guest musicians with whom they had collaborated, amongst them Tomas HAAKE of MESGUGGAH, longtime collaborator Colin MARSTON, and Trey SPRUANCE of MR. BUNGLE. 

When they play live, all three band members wear elegant yet sinister Art Deco-style masks with features that represent each of their individual personalities.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 17:32
^ Thanks, done.

The only note.
"When they play live, all three band members wear elegant yet sinister Art Deco-style masks with features that represent each of their individual personalities".

I've deleted the word "elegant" and left "... wear sinister Art Deco-style masks...", because what's elegant for one person may be ugly and ridiculous for others.
At least I don't find masks on videos from the band's site elegant. Smile 

If you don't agree I'll restore the elegance.

Edited by NotAProghead - January 20 2021 at 17:37
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 18:40

^ Thanks, done.

The only note.
"When they play live, all three band members wear elegant yet sinister Art Deco-style masks with features that represent each of their individual personalities".

I've deleted the word "elegant" and left "... wear sinister Art Deco-style masks...", because what's elegant for one person may be ugly and ridiculous for others.
At least I don't find masks on videos from the band's site elegant. Smile 

If you don't agree I'll restore the elegance.
No problem at all Eugene - I just copied that bit directly from the Kerrang! article I linked to as a little snippet of 'useless information' about the band at the end of the bio! LOL I don't find their music to be particularly elegant either, but it seems they have quite a large following in extreme metal circles, even if not here on PA.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 18:51
^ Thanks, David. I don't care about modern heavy industry at all, but if a better bio will attract new fans to the band, then our efforts are not in vain. Smile
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 19:04

^ Thanks, David. I don't care about modern heavy industry at all, but if a better bio will attract new fans to the band, then our efforts are not in vain. Smile

It seems that quite a few bands have been added by the PM team with just a one or two-line bio (I guess they are the busiest team on here by quite some margin though, so probably don't have much time for writing a full bio). I keep finding them when rounding up Jose's bandcamp albums. Here's another one that I'll have a closer look at tomorrow:

Founded in Winston-Salem, USA in 2015

STELLAR CIRCUITS is a Progressive Metal band from North Carolina, US, close to PORTAL, KINGCROW, KARNIVOOL and TOOL.

They only have one album out, so there won't be much more to add I wouldn't think, but I'll try and find something about them to flesh it out a bit. Smile

Edit: ^ I lied! They have a debut EP from 2015 and a single released just before their full album came out in 2018, which both need adding here as well as a better bio.

Edited by yam yam - January 20 2021 at 19:15
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 19:14
^ Yes, want it or not, PM is a popular genre now and the team is always busy. That's why I don't even notify them about these recent changes, it's obvious that you make better bios than they had. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 19>