Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat do you use to download music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 03:35
Originally posted by Failcore Failcore wrote:

I hold prog musicians hostage and make them play music for me while I fap furiously.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm in a weird mood, haha

lol
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 03:35
Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

Originally posted by Drew Drew wrote:

when I download I use Itunes or amazon for mp3's

That's rare though- I still like buying CD's

Oh, and a few on bandcamp and a few on Souncloud
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 05:54
Using my psychic powers I find all the rare and hard to find stuff and download it directly into my mind. Tongue

I've only actually paid for three downloads.  The first was King Of The Mountain which came out before Aerial was officially released.  The second was Bass Communion vs. Muslimgauze EP, because it was only available for pay that way.  The last was the Porcupine Tree Futility EP for the same reason.  Both of those I made hard copies of with CD booklets I printed out.  So I've used itunes, Amazon, and the Burning Shed site, respectively.  No special software required.  For finding the music, any browser and a little persistence will do.

Edited by Slartibartfast - June 09 2012 at 06:21
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 10:55

Originally posted by Drew Drew wrote:

when I download I use Itunes or amazon for mp3's

That's rare though- I still like buying CD's for some reason

Well, I can think of a few good reasons for choosing CD's over mp3's

(1) The music on CD's is not compressed ... I think

(2) CD's often come with some booklets and album art to look at.

(3) You can buy thousands CD titles for pennies at your local flea market, whereas for an mp3 album you'll be asked to pay at least 6-7 bucks, but could be twice as much on Amazon. 

(4) You can't accidentally delete, damage or lose data from a CD, unless you do something foolish to it. At the same time, my lady wife had accumulated a gigabyte or two worth of iTunes songs on her Mac when the hard drive quit. Data recovery guys said they could try for $300.00 and "see how it goes". Never again! 

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 12:21
Always bandcamp.  I haven't even been to (insert sketchy blog that used to be a SR staple here) in ages
Terra Australis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2012 at 18:42
Speaking of downloads I was just reading an interview with Martin Orford from 2009. Many years ago, while purchasing cds from his online store, I corresponded with him and found him to be a decent guy. Illegal downloading has had a big effect on him. I was wondering how people feel about the state of downloading now as compared to then.

Orford. Martin 22/09/09

Allomerus. Music with progressive intent.

http://allomerus.bandcamp.com
Cloud Forest View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2012 at 06:32
if you are one of those people,who dont care for quality use itunes.

But if you own bad ass sound speakers,the easiest thing to do is to go to second hand shop store,to buy original cds close to nothing. 

All Hail Geddy Lee!

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2012 at 22:38
I download from the Zune Marketplace with a subscription, its the only way I will get music online. Played thru my home system its pretty sweet.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2012 at 06:31
I'm an old-fashioned old fart and I still want to have my music on CD (apart from my many old vinyls) with its artwork, lyrics, credits etc.

I have an mp3 player which is rather crappy and I only use it when I go on some holiday trip, and I surely have some music on my computer but I would not like the idea of having most of my music in a hard drive, I like being able to see it physically, look around the shelves to decide what I'm going to play, and touch it, open the sleeve or case, have a look at the artwork or lyrics while listening.
I too have suffered a couple of unrecoverable computer crashes and I am not very disciplined with back-ups.

Playlists may be very handy but I have no problem getting up to change the CD every 50 minutes (I don't even have a CD charger).

I admit having quite some CD-Rs copied from friends original CDs but the vast majority of my collection is undoubtedly original CDs.

I am a smoker and when I think that I spend in a pack of cigarettes nearly the same as what a CD costs, downloading music to save a couple of euros does not make any sense.

Edited by Gerinski - August 19 2012 at 06:34
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2012 at 09:29
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I'm an old-fashioned old fart and I still want to have my music on CD (apart from my many old vinyls) with its artwork, lyrics, credits etc.

I have an mp3 player which is rather crappy and I only use it when I go on some holiday trip, and I surely have some music on my computer but I would not like the idea of having most of my music in a hard drive, I like being able to see it physically, look around the shelves to decide what I'm going to play, and touch it, open the sleeve or case, have a look at the artwork or lyrics while listening.
I too have suffered a couple of unrecoverable computer crashes and I am not very disciplined with back-ups.

Playlists may be very handy but I have no problem getting up to change the CD every 50 minutes (I don't even have a CD charger).

I admit having quite some CD-Rs copied from friends original CDs but the vast majority of my collection is undoubtedly original CDs.

I am a smoker and when I think that I spend in a pack of cigarettes nearly the same as what a CD costs, downloading music to save a couple of euros does not make any sense.

Since you mentioned "playlists" ... There is a vast ocean of mass-produced, pre-digested commodity music for entertainment of the broad population. It is engineered to be consumed in any quantities and in any order. The smallest standalone unit of such music is the typical 3-4 minute pop song, while the true quantum is probably the 30-second sample that we can hear in commercials etc. An arbitrary playlist is a handy tool, assisting in consumption of such music.  But, there is nothing wrong with that, as long as you can opt out and choose what I call quality music.  

If you haven't seen this, you may want to sneak a  peek: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xrvzgq_steven-wilson-interview-2011-part-1_music, where Steven Wilson is discussing the  playlist/jukebox mentality that has evolved to meet the instant gratification needs of he present day consumer society. 

Now, quality music is best enjoyed as a whole in larger units somewhere in the range of 15-20 to 40-50 minutes, which is the EP to LP length, so that to allow the artistic concept to fully evolve (provided, or course, you like and trust the musician/band/composer).  This way, if you are listening to a vinyl LP, skipping tracks would be both cumbersome AND counter-productive. 

Now, I had a few more thoughts to share on why true lovers of music prefer physical carriers, esp. LP's and R2R tapes (the same way as the avid readers prefer real books to "tablets"), but I must hurry to our local flea market in order to continue my quest of the old vinyl :)

brodieshenton View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
eSpam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 02:43
I use Google Chrome Browser to listen and download music.
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 02:46
whatever happened to albums?
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 02:56
Originally posted by TheGazzardian TheGazzardian wrote:

In the rare case that I buy digital music, it's either from iTunes or it's from Bandcamp
This. Never done any downloading via Zune (as Catcher10 does) or Amazon.
Originally posted by brodieshenton brodieshenton wrote:

I use Google Chrome Browser to listen and download music.
LOL

Edited by Dayvenkirq - March 20 2013 at 02:57
The Mystical View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 06:08
I use a brick attached to a vinyl player using a piece of sticky tape that spins at 70rpm which rubs against a piece of tin foil to create enough friction to spark a connection that summons a group of flying magnets to attract nearby bats who have a diet that includes an excess amount of iron. 
I am currently digging:

Hawkwind, Rare Bird, Gong, Tangerine Dream, Khan, Iron Butterfly, and all things canterbury and hard-psych. I also love jazz!

Please drop me a message with album suggestions.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 06:22
Bandcamp, Soundcloud or the band's website with Internet Explorer.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 07:24
Originally posted by The Mystical The Mystical wrote:

... a vinyl player ... that spins at 70rpm . 
You may need to recalibrate your turntable using one of these:
Geek
What?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 08:12
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

(4) You can't accidentally delete, damage or lose data from a CD, unless you do something foolish to it. At the same time, my lady wife had accumulated a gigabyte or two worth of iTunes songs on her Mac when the hard drive quit. Data recovery guys said they could try for $300.00 and "see how it goes". Never again! 

Wow, who keeps that much music on a PC without a backup? Although I do recall a musician who kept his latest album on a laptop with no backup and lost the lot. I forget who it was now.
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 04:35
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Wow, who keeps that much music on a PC without a backup? Although I do recall a musician who kept his latest album on a laptop with no backup and lost the lot. I forget who it was now.

That both makes me laugh like a drain........ and cringe painfully! LOL
deafmoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 14:18
Almost all my music is purchased via mail order cd and then I burn it to my PC. I use some of the online sites to preview music though, which is a nice thing. Years ago, I would buy my share of not so stellar music. But, hey that's what ebay is for right? I purge my collection every so often, so it all works out.
Deafmoon
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2013 at 23:58
I've only bought mp3's from Amazon and d'load it using their cloud player.  First thing I do is burn it to a CD so I can listen on the laptop or stereo (and of course do regular backups of my music directory).

Oh ya, the other place I download from is Robert Fripp's DGM.  Every Monday they feature what's usually a free download of something called "Mister Stormy's Monday Selection".  Sometimes it's an alternate take of a well known Crimso song, sometimes it some Frippertronics, other times it could be the isolated bass and drum part to Cirkus...it's always something interesting!

Edited by The.Crimson.King - September 11 2013 at 00:04
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>