Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhen was the last time you heard Tarkus?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 01:52
Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

About, I don't know, a year. Haven't been into ELP for a while.

Erm...ain't your avatar a bit ironic methinks?Wink
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 02:34
All of it 15+ years , if i ever did listen to it all
Nerver was into ELP.

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 03:47
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

About, I don't know, a year. Haven't been into ELP for a while.

Erm...ain't your avatar a bit ironic methinks?Wink

lols
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 03:47
ShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShocked
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

All of it 15+ years , if i ever did listen to it all
Nerver was into ELP.

ShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShocked

Edited by smartpatrol - June 09 2012 at 03:48
JS19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 05:30
Just heard it for the first time. What's all the fuss about?
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 05:50
^ 41 years ago it got to Number 1 in the UK album charts which reinforced the fleeting hope that there was a time in history where a discerning demographic might actually have a say in what is popular. Imagine a hierarchical system of merit that correlates to your own value judgements i.e. the content of PA - ain't that exciting? We'll soon get you up to speed laddieWink.

Edited by ExittheLemming - June 09 2012 at 15:23
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2012 at 10:53
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Around about 6th November 1979.

Never could get into ELP. Perhaps it is time for a re-evaluationErmm

Not sine 1979???  Simply unbelievable.

Since you have upgraded your avatar to a higher level primate on the evolution scale, perhaps you could elevate
your listening abilities to include one of the top 5 musical compositions of the twentieth century???

Ok, that was a bit of a slam at one of my favorite overseas proggers....  Wink

Seriously... What has stopped you about ELP or Tarkus in particular?   Is it all the keyboards and no guitar?

Keith's composition of Tarkus is so magnificent and brilliant yet accessible it is frankly humbling. I have the sheet music for Tarkus and I enjoy marveling at his chord progressions during Eruption almost as much as I enjoy listening to it!.  And I am no master musician for sure.Embarrassed

For me, I listened to Welcome Back Tarkus 5 months ago, but I have not been playing music much as I have been building stuff...  So I would listen more frequently than that in general...

Can't wait until this July when the original Tarkus record comes out in the 5.1 Steven Wilson mix. Tongue SmileBig smile
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
FromAbove View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2012 at 11:02

I heard it for the first time on last.fm and that was the last time I have listened to it.

Checking it it says I listened to it....Hey, it says I've listened to it twice... that's odd.

Most recently it was March 11, 2011, but I don't even remember listening to it then. Actually, yeah... I do remember listening to it then, but I think I skipped before finishing. So the last time I full listened to it would be August 23, 2010...

which, quite frankly I still can't remember any portion of it.

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2012 at 11:39
I played three tracks off the album back in January according to WinAmp, but I may have listened to it on something else.  I was doing the big rotation for about two years so I at least listened to the title track within that time.

Edited by Slartibartfast - June 10 2012 at 11:40
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2012 at 12:09
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Around about 6th November 1979.

Never could get into ELP. Perhaps it is time for a re-evaluationErmm

Not sine 1979???  Simply unbelievable.

Seriously... What has stopped you about ELP or Tarkus in particular?   Is it all the keyboards and no guitar?

It might have been after 1979. It was a (rather poor) attempt on my part at humour.

Having said that, no I wasn't a big fan, and still am not.

Why?? Well, for the absolutely simple reason that I found them so over the top and bombastic, in other words for the very same reasons why so many people loved themBig smile
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 09:39

Why?? Well, for the absolutely simple reason that I found them so over the top and bombastic, in other words for the very same reasons why so many people loved themBig smile

I love our chats because I always end up expanding or revisiting old vocabulary. LOL

bom·bas·tic  
(of speech, writing, etc.) high-sounding; high-flown; inflated; pretentious.

Ok, fair enough. I heard ELP from records and all I really cared about was the music.  I never cared for or was impressed by all the theatrics they do, it was always about the music for me and with ELP their music stands up with anything that was ever written, I do believe.

On ELP recordings there are no knife throwing or piano spinning, just unbelievable music. Approve

"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 13:22

I love our chats because I always end up expanding or revisiting old vocabulary. LOL

bom·bas·tic  

Ok, fair enough. I heard ELP from records and all I really cared about was the music.  I never cared for or was impressed by all the theatrics they do, it was always about the music for me and with ELP their music stands up with anything that was ever written, I do believe.

On ELP recordings there are no knife throwing or piano spinning, just unbelievable music. Approve

You know, I'm always stunned when prog fans suggest that "bombastic" and "pretentious" are somehow negative in music.  Prog is nothing, if not bombastic and pretentious.  I mean really, that was the whole point!!!  To move rock music beyond the blues framework it was born out of.

Frankly, I've always loved ELP for those traits.  I don't listen to them regularly anymore (did plenty of that in the 90's), but I still pull out an album or two ever couple years and marvel at how excellent it all still sounds.  Tarkus was always my favorite, and I love the "B" side.......though not as much as the title suite, to be sure.
bb1319 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 13:38
Maybe 3 months ago, and I hardly ever listen to the B side. I've heard the B side maybe three times total and thought it was utter garbage. The title track is great, though. I'm not really a huge ELP person, either.
"I'd say that what we hear is the quality of our listening." -Robert Fripp
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 13:47
Side 2
FromAbove View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 13:52

Originally posted by bb1319 bb1319 wrote:

Maybe 3 months ago, and I hardly ever listen to the B side. I've heard the B side maybe three times total and thought it was utter garbage.

I still haven't heard anything from the second side except for Infinite Space (Conclusion), and I still can't remember it. Maybe I should even dare to listen to that Side 2.

Edited by FromAbove - June 11 2012 at 13:52
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 13:55
I really like side 2. But then, I am what one calls an "ELP fan".
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 14:08
I always thought side two of Tarkus was 'Plan B'. Would the world accept a keyboard driven side long peice based on a non existent creature that looked like an armadillo crossed with a first world war tank? If not we have some fun stuff , a bit of rock n roll and a very important song about religion that should please the hippies that havn't yet expired.
FromAbove View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 14:09

Then I haven't listened enough to ELP to cast away side 2. I'll listen to it once I get my hands on the record.

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I always thought side two of Tarkus was 'Plan B'. Would the world accept a keyboard driven side long peice based on a non existent creature that looked like an armadillo crossed with a first world war tank? If not we have some fun stuff , a bit of rock n roll and a very important song about religion that should please the hippies that havn't yet expired.

Well weren't Lake and Emerson fighting over having the track on the album? Who knows what would have been on the album if Tarkus wasn't there.

But yeah, I guess the second side kind of balances out Tarkus, for what it is in that time period it was released.

Edited by FromAbove - June 11 2012 at 14:11
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 14:13
I think I heard it for the last time about two years ago. But it remains great.

Note: I did not play side 2 back then.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 14:32
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

bom·bas·tic  

You know, I'm always stunned when prog fans suggest that "bombastic" and "pretentious" are somehow negative in music.  Prog is nothing, if not bombastic and pretentious.  I mean really, that was the whole point!!!  To move rock music beyond the blues framework it was born out of.

Frankly, I've always loved ELP for those traits.  I don't listen to them regularly anymore (did plenty of that in the 90's), but I still pull out an album or two ever couple years and marvel at how excellent it all still sounds.  Tarkus was always my favorite, and I love the "B" side.......though not as much as the title suite, to be sure.

I never said it was negative. I just don't like it much, which is a different thing altogether.

Not all prog, BTW, is bombastic & pretentious. I also never said pretentious, just bombastic and over the top, again rather different things.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>