Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedActing The Battle of Epping Forest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Acting The Battle of Epping Forest
    Posted: June 07 2012 at 16:57
Did anyone act The Battle of Epping Forest? I'm thinking of doing it with my friends but I want to make sure it's possible. Also, I planned on doing it without music, so just us acting. That's also good time to introduce them to prog.

What are your experiences?
PabstRibbon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 17:14
Wow that seems like a great idea but I think it would be awesome with music on. If it happens try to record it to show it to us I'm quite intrigued by this idea
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 17:33
Well, I guess you should know better than us if it's possible or not. Good luck with it. If it comes well, perhaps you would be motivated to put into acting some other Genesis songs, surely many other songs would make nice acting pieces. If you don't really want to use the music for the presentations, then perhaps at least you could investigate about Gabriel's costumes and use them. Only make sure you warn your fellow actors before you go out disguised as a fox in a dress!!!
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 11:31
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

...perhaps you would be motivated to put into acting some other Genesis songs, surely many other songs would make nice acting pieces....
You can tell that this was where Gabriel's head was at this point in Genesis (1973-1974), even if the rest of the band was not with him on his marriage of "art" with "rock"...
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 12:26
Nice idea but I think it should be done with the music, as if it was a musical but without pretending to sing at all, just following the song in mimic. Maybe even pretending to sing as lip sync it might be funny. Would be nice to see it filmed! Smile
I'm not artistically creative but for someone who is, some nice video could be made of Can-Utility and the Coastliners.
(we will leave The Lamb for another occasion Wink)
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 14:17
Originally posted by mister nobody mister nobody wrote:

Did anyone act The Battle of Epping Forest? I'm thinking of doing it with my friends but I want to make sure it's possible. Also, I planned on doing it without music, so just us acting. That's also good time to introduce them to prog.

Considering as much as I have directed, that has never been one of my ideas ... I think I would rather put together "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway". It's themes and ideas are a lot better translated to a stage than the story in Epping Forest, but I will check myself on that.

.... this might not work.

The hard part of this is deciding what you want to take from this and where you want to go. This is what is known as "high satire", or in France known as "high comedy", and in general this stuff can be tough. In a rock song you can fly through it quickly, but on a stage ... how do you slow it down in order to show the "story". And then you have to decide what you gonna do ... in between ... until they decide the coin flip is good enough in the end.

If I'm Terri Gilliam, the English will probably deport me to America forever! Because their upper class on the luxury cars will look more colorful and ridiculous than the characters that Gerald Scarfe gave us for The Wall.

If I use Mike Leigh, I will make sure that these folks are so brutal ... as to make their own backgrounds ugly and dirty ... be it rich or not ... seedy would probably fit too!

If I'm Peter Brook (or a mild Ken Russell without the steroids!) ... now I have a challenge ... and is the work I will do. I will use a child's playground, define the areas with cardboard or pictures (one has to be filthy rich of course, and the other filthy dirty!) ... and in between the story elements you have a sort of West Side Story ... and you CAN NOT skimp on costumes ... I mean ... load up on them and make sure the richies have the girls with the long cigarette extender thing ... and of course, you have to have the Priest -- larger than life -- or everyone else --- show up in the middle of the stage ... and then when the fight and the stage is a huge mess ... you fly a big plane above them all and there ... they do the coin flip ... a BIGGGG coin. And everyone below, must be tired, drunk, and all over each other. In the end, there was no win ... they all fell together in a wild dance! Ohhh and that plane says "Virgin" on it btw!!!

I love English humor ... good thing I did not think about this enough to bring about the Peter Cook version!

And I don't think I can post in here the Peter Greenaway version ... specially now that Sir Gielgud is dead, and that whole thing would be too far off most "progressive minds" anywhere ... but it would get their attention.

I wanted to do the Sodderbergh version but I could not get Sasha in one of the main roles, so I gave up!

With the film footage, which you can do with video, there are other issues ... that of taking the words literally and then the interpretation falls out of place and somewhat apart. It usually works best if you go all out on the satire, or all out on the seriousness. This is, for all intents and purposes, English satire at its best ... and satire is not hard to do, but it's hardest to get an audience to come with you on it. Thus, it might be easier to pull off the Ken Russell moments to get attention and get everyone's eyes going ... a video is fine and nice, and you can use that as the "set" for the stuff you do in front ... but the reality part of it, will make the cohesion of this really difficult to mix up with the actors in the front. In these situations the cartoon'ish element works a lot better! But make sure you raid the costume department for every thing, all the sinks and all the bras and all the ties and pants and jackets and boots and what not that you can get your hands on!

I did this on stage, with lights and sound and lots of music. It was what separated me from everyone else, and I never compromised it in the work I did. I just did not like the vanilla stuff called T Williams, or E Albee or BS Orton or H Pinter. I wanted to do what Genesis, Pink Floyd, Ange and so many others were doing .. on the stage! My greatest fault might have been that I should have told the stage to die and grab a video camera ... but in those days those were not cheap!

Voila!

Directing is so much fun, when you love the insanity side of it all, like I do and did on stage!

Edited by moshkito - June 08 2012 at 15:31
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 14:52
Great idea guys. Approve There is a lot of narration in that song, so good luck! I would love to see some filmed footage, if possible. Thumbs Up
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 17:07
It most certainly is possible.  Moshquito has the right idea - to what purpose?  Start small, get it down, then work it up to greater and greater elaboration.  Good idea!  Keep us posted.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
FromAbove View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 19:19

This is quite a genius idea that might be something cool to do. The "Reverend" part would be rather cool, but even better the actual fight. I don't think I have the friends locally to do that though, but now I might just find some people who'd want to do it for the laughs and probably film it for later laughs.

Then The Lamb would be the next step in the process Big smile

Edited by FromAbove - June 08 2012 at 19:20
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 00:24
I'm just happy to see a thread about tBoEF that is not purely for its bashing.
yanch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 08:05
Okay, I love this track, but I'm going to take another side on this one. While it certainly is a very visual song, it is in the end about a gang war. Why do something as interesting as turning a song into an acting piece with something that in the end is so violent. I agree with Moshkito-start smaller and see what happens. I also think there are more interesting Genesis songs to act out.

I think it's a great idea to want to act out Genesis songs, just don think TBoEF is the right one.
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 08:16
I would do Harold as a short film.  Black Comedy  but very black
Help me I'm falling!
Earthmover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 09:37
Thanks for the replies, guys. You all have very good points. Another one I think it would be cool to act is Get em out by friday, which is in my opinion, superior track. 

I don't know if my friends would agree to act a Genesis song. LOL
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 09:54
I envision something more like this:

Edited by Slartibartfast - June 09 2012 at 09:56
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

thehallway View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 12:38

Try the Gates of Delirium for a real battle.

In fact, I might just call Ridley Scott.......

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 13:43

Thanks for the replies, guys. You all have very good points. Another one I think it would be cool to act is Get em out by friday, which is in my opinion, superior track. 

Well, work the script, and don't tell your friends it is from a Genesis song, just tell them you got it elsewhere.
FromAbove View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 13:55

Get 'Em Out By Friday would actually be much easier to set up a script for, and probably require less preparation.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 09:37
Originally posted by yanch yanch wrote:

Okay, I love this track, but I'm going to take another side on this one. While it certainly is a very visual song, it is in the end about a gang war. Why do something as interesting as turning a song into an acting piece with something that in the end is so violent. I agree with Moshkito-start smaller and see what happens. I also think there are more interesting Genesis songs to act out.

Don't forget that the costumes that Peter was wearing, was a way to show these within a theatrical context and content ... which the music DID have. I DO think, that by the time they got to SEBTP that it had become more rock music with a solid story, instead of a solid story with rock music to go with it, and there is a difference in this equation ... I kinda think that SEBTP is more about the music than the lyrics themselves ... because you remember the strength of the organ, or the lawnmower sound ... a lot more than you do ... can you tell me where my country lies ... which you do not know what it relates to (there are many ideas!) ... and is cryptic at best, and always not as clear as ... jane gotta a gun! ... the kind of lyric that makes it difficult for us to enjoy here ... and creates discussions about "bad lyrics in prog" ... because we do not know what they mean and we think those people are trying to make us stupid'r than we look!

To me, a lot of this stuff ... is the "literature" of my time and place. The rest? It's up to you to elevate it to where it deserves to be! If all it is, to you, is just another song in the soup of songs ... then ... things like this tend to die off and disappear. The main reason why it is remembered? ... because these folks wanted to do a lot more than just ... another pop song!

Just like all the arts in history ... it's up to us to decide if this is worthy of the history of the art ... and in my book, YES IT IS! It's better written, and more concisely scripted and played than most operas ever been, for example!

Edited by moshkito - June 13 2012 at 09:37
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 09:44
Originally posted by thehallway thehallway wrote:

Try the Gates of Delirium for a real battle.

In fact, I might just call Ridley Scott.......

As loud as that one is ... we need Coppola! ... a grand noisy, loud, with full soundtrack and colorful explosisos and all that ... only shame is ... no Marlon!
www.pedrosena.com
Distant Planet View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2012 at 05:59
CoolGood luck, but why would you want to act out this horrible track ??!!  It's an ugly wart on what is otherwise the best ever Genesis album !!
Surely there are other Genesis songs that could be acted out in preference...Unhappy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>