Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedClockwork Angels: Any opinion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clockwork Angels: Any opinion
    Posted: February 01 2013 at 03:34
It sounds to me like a very entertaining jam session with 3 excellent musicians, which is not exactly what i would prefer. In some songs, the idea, or inspiration is lacking a good melody, but the band sticks to their first impulse and extended the songs for too long when the songs are interesting , its ok but it's not the case on the whole cd. They improvise a lot on this cd, it could be a easier way for them, but i think they could have made a better cd with a better songwriting. This is my way of seeing a band that has been to close to my heart in the past and now it's like i want them to be perfect. 
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

JediJoker7169 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 03:20
Originally posted by FunkyM FunkyM wrote:

If you liked Clockwork Angels, I'd recommend checking out Snakes & Arrows. It's their previous studio album and I think there's a fair chance fans of one album would enjoy the other.

Probably true, but the reverse is definitely not true in my case.  I was very much a fan of Snakes & Arrows when it came out.  At that point, the only other Rush album I owned was Moving Pictures.  I went to see them live on the Snakes & Arrows Tour and was an instant fan, gobbling up their entire catalogue as fast as I could. Unfortunately, between then and the release of Clockwork Angels, Geddy Lee's voice took a serious turn for the worse.  He sounds reasonably natural on Snakes & Arrows, but has had so much pitch correction applied to his vocals on Clockwork Angels it should be illegal.  And it's not just that he can't sing in tune anymore, he's clearly having a hard time singing, period.  As a trained singer and recording/mixing engineer, I notice these things.  If you don't... Ignorance is bliss. Approve

Both albums suffer terribly from overuse of dynamic range compression (loudness wars), with Clockwork Angels suffering a bit more than Snakes & Arrows.  I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of this was already present in the mix before it got sent off to be mastered, which falls squarely on the shoulders of Richard Chycki (Snakes & Arrows) and Nick Raskulinecz (Clockwork Angels).  Rush and Nick Raskulinecz apparently have a great working relationship.  He's probably the right producer for them right now.  What he definitely isn't is the right mixing engineer.  Somebody get that man away from the console! (I did like Richard Chycki's 5.1 mix of Moving Pictures, so I'm not ready to give up on him yet.)

As far as the songwriting goes... Well, Clockwork Angels is certainly not without merit.  It's difficult to appreciate the songwriting, though, when the record sounds like it does.  I still find that Snakes & Arrows edges it out in that department, which is too bad: the concept of Clockwork Angels was a promising one.  Neil Peart is one of my favorite lyricists, but I really don't think this is some of his best work.  I find some of his most compelling lyrics to be those dealing with relationships, especially between the sexes, such as "Entre Nous," "Cold Fire," and "Alien Shore."  He is also a great storyteller, as evidenced by "2112."  I'm afraid that without having read the novel (I do plan to), the story of Clockwork Angels is rather lost on me.
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 01:13
I've given it many listens now, and I would say that I enjoy it more than any album since Counterparts. I purchased the book when it came out too, and read it. While the book was just so-so, it gave me more insight and knowledge about the story in the album, so now I enjoy it even more.
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 21:49
Wow, just realized it's been a long time since I've listened to CA.  I need to give it a spin this weekend.  I did listen to it a lot when it came out; I liked it, but it wasn't as if it was a masterpiece or anything like that.

I do really love Halo Effect.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 21:07
Originally posted by wjohnd wjohnd wrote:

Funny how different racks are appealing to different people.
Caravan and BU2B didn't click with me at all when they were first released but sound much better in the context of the album.
I agree that Geddy's voice is just a bit monotone in places, for example on the otherwise excellent Headlong Flight, but I've managed to get past that and enjoy the balls out rock that it settles in to.

For me this is the best of their recent albums and while some may prefer VT or S&A I think we can all agree that it's a darned site better than Test For Echo if only because there is no Dog Years on it ;-)

Dog YearsUnhappy and I like Rush

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - January 30 2013 at 21:12
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 20:59
So, I guess I'll be going with Snakes and Arrows, and then Counterparts, since many people keep sayint "the best album since Counterparts", thus, Counterparts must be a great album too.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 20:53
I think Snakes and Arrows is MILES past Clockwork Angels. I think i prefer S&A to Vapor Trails too, i know i listen to it more. I'd say it's their best album since Counterparts, then Hold Your Fire (which is better than PW and GUP).
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 20:48
I like Clockwork Angels quite a bit though it suffers from loudness wars like Vapor Trails did  in some cases I feel it's weak but it always comes back to bite me, it has a diverse set of songs like Caravan, Brought Up To Believe, Clockwork Angels, The Anarchist, Halo Effect, Seven Cities Of Gold, The Wreckers, Headlong Flight, Wish Them Well, and The Garden.All those songs have something that will stay with you. I pretty much just named  the whole album Big smile. I think it's the best album since Hold Your Fire for me Thumbs Up

It is one of their worst the answer to that is no(that honor goes to Test For Echo which to me is still good Smile)
"I wish that I could live it all again" Headbanger

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - January 30 2013 at 21:11
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

FunkyM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 20:02
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Now, Clockwork Angels felt fresher to me, something different (well, it had to be, after 30 years), and though it may sound like heresy, I belive I enjoy it more than their 70's classic albums. I really liked it's heaviness and so. Now, the thing is, given this, which other album would you recommend me to check? Some other of the 2000's albums? Or perhaps some recent live album from them?

If you liked Clockwork Angels, I'd recommend checking out Snakes & Arrows. It's their previous studio album and I think there's a fair chance fans of one album would enjoy the other.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 18:11
Originally posted by Anthony H. Anthony H. wrote:

Didn't think it was that great. Caravan and Headlong Flight are both fantastic, but the rest is rather boring and recycled.

Yep. The title track, Garden, and Caravan are the only tracks i might listen to. Not a fan of this release.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 18:09
I got this album a few weeks ago, and have been listening to it regularly, and I must say I enjoy it a lot. Before it, I had just gotten their classic albums (all the albums from 2112 up to Moving Pictures), and I'm afraid I was thinking about going no farther than that, because the rest of the albums are not considered as good, and I had felt they wouldn't be able to bring much more. I know most of you wouldn't agree with me, but even though I enjoyed all those albums pretty much, I couldn't help but feel that they were too similar between them, and as I bought them one after another, I just felt like I had heard that already. Now, Clockwork Angels felt fresher to me, something different (well, it had to be, after 30 years), and though it may sound like heresy, I belive I enjoy it more than their 70's classic albums. I really liked it's heaviness and so. Now, the thing is, given this, which other album would you recommend me to check? Some other of the 2000's albums? Or perhaps some recent live album from them? I'm wondering if they have played some of their 70's classics with the same heaviness they showed on this latest release. Oh, and by the way, I also found Geddy's voice very nice on this album. Perhaps not better then in the 70's, but no worse either (though perhaps some studio magic had something to do with that). Anyway, great album.
wjohnd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2012 at 03:45
Originally posted by Anthony H. Anthony H. wrote:

Didn't think it was that great. Caravan and Headlong Flight are both fantastic, but the rest is rather boring and recycled.
funny... i'm not keen on Caravan but love some of the others.

I've listened through several times now and am still enjoying it a great deal (more than S and A) but Geddy's vocals really are a bit bland/monotone on some of the songs (large parts of Caravan for example). 
The instrumentation throughout is still superb though.

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2012 at 00:49
Well I've heard it for about 30 times now, and it is really good, I haven't enjoyed one of their albums like this since Counterparts. Of course it's not their 70's stuff but it is good no doubt.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2012 at 12:55
Originally posted by P Brox P Brox wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Zune Top 100 Albums/Rock/Classic Rock (Zune genre categories are weird sometimes)

1. Rush - Clockwork Angels

Did I just find someone else who has a zune? Holy balls!

And by the way, top notch profile picture dude, made me actually laugh out loud.

Yup....Zuner since day one, best music player ever made is the ZuneHD.......Looking forward to the new Xbox Music service. Zune Marketplace is great place to discover new music.....

Yea that's how Neal reacts when he has to disconnect his upper torso from lower to achieve his utmost playing performance......LOL
P Brox View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2012 at 02:38
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Zune Top 100 Albums/Rock/Classic Rock (Zune genre categories are weird sometimes)

1. Rush - Clockwork Angels

Did I just find someone else who has a zune? Holy balls!

And by the way, top notch profile picture dude, made me actually laugh out loud.
“If thine enemy offend thee, buy each of his children a drum.” -Anonymous
P Brox View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2012 at 02:33
After giving the album more than a few listens, I think it is quite a solid NEW Rush album. It isn't the same Rush as the 70s. Think of a mix of Snakes and Arrows, with Counterparts, and a bit of Permanent Waves, with just a dash of Presto, and some tinges of Vapor Trails. That is what it sounds like to my ears. There isn't really a bad song on the thing (except for maybe Bu2b2, but it is really just an interlude rather than a standalone song) and it is actually a very solid outing for a band of their vintage.

Oh and the bass is absolutely killer on it.
“If thine enemy offend thee, buy each of his children a drum.” -Anonymous
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 14:19
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I think Jim said it: it sounds more Rush.  And maybe your views will be coloured by whether that's what you wanted to hear.  S&A was a little different, less fury and energy but more heart imo.  This is so far another Rush album that I can't really complain about but probably won't get into in a big way.

After 5 or 6 listens now that's how I feel, just more modern Rush, always nice to listen to but far from "waw".
I think I like S&A better too.
Anthony H. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 11:33
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 11:30
By the way.....this thread prompted me to check out a few songs of Usher.  I had somehow managed to never hear of him all this time and I was surprised to know he was so hugely successful.  Thanks are order to Textbook for that slight thread derailment.  It's not music I will be crazy over but I like to chill out listening to good pop singers and unless every note Usher sings is faked, he is, sorry, a far more talented singer than Geddy...imo, of course.  Reminiscent of Stevie Wonder...monster riffs especially on Caught Up.  Wish he sang some old school R&B though...Cry

And with that, back to Rush.
LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2012 at 13:11
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I think Jim said it: it sounds more Rush.  And maybe your views will be coloured by whether that's what you wanted to hear.  S&A was a little different, less fury and energy but more heart imo.  This is so far another Rush album that I can't really complain about but probably won't get into in a big way.

I think the litmus test will be how the songs translate live; I wasn't a big fan of S&A when it first came out, but the songs took on a whole new level when played live. I like the new one considerably more than I did S&A & although I don't think (yet) it's a classic (for me), I can see some of these songs will turn into monsters on stage.

Both Caravan and BU2B are monsters live. I was blown away by both of them, which is rather impressive given the setlist of the Time Machine tour. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>