Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKansas Box Set - Entire Back Catalog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kansas Box Set - Entire Back Catalog
    Posted: June 14 2012 at 09:35
This looks like an amazing deal for Kansas fans - I think it's their entire back catalog remastered.  I recently ordered this myself when I realized the CD versions of the Kansas albums I own date back from the mid 90s.  :)

Amazon link

Short Amazon description:

"Import-only 11 CD box set containing the complete Sony back catalog from the American AOR/Prog rock band housed in mini LP sleeves. Includes the albums Kansas, Song For America, Masque, Leftoverture, Point Of Know Return, Two For The Show, Monolith, Audio Visions, Vinyl Confessions and Drastic Measures. Epic Legacy."

prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 14:35
I would really only want Kansas (1), Song for America, Masque, and Leftoverture.  The rest I would toss into the recycle bin...
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 17:14
Two for the Show is a great live set though.  But otherwise agreed.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 00:52
Originally posted by prog4evr prog4evr wrote:

I would really only want Kansas (1), Song for America, Masque, and Leftoverture.  The rest I would toss into the recycle bin...
I have all those accept Masque but do have Point Of Know Return which deserves better than the recycle binSmile

anyway I won't be getting it although the price in the UK is also very good on Amazon working out at less than £3 an album as I have what I regard as the essential ones.
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 12:43
This is a pretty good deal considering these are all the remastered versions, so there are some bonus tracks along with better-sounding cuts than the originals (most of which I originally owned as crappy 8-tracks).  I have all of these on vinyl but not many on CD, so this is a good way to pick them all up cheap.
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
captain2man View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 13:01
The Kansas catalog from the first album right through Monolith is incredibly solid.

After that - they became more of an above-average AOR band......although they picked it up solidly - and totally under the radar - with Freaks of Nature in '95 & even moreso with Somewhere to Elsewhere in '00.....which will most likely be the last Kansas studio record you'll see...but a very solid release for a swan song.
I am the ocean
Lit by the flame
I am the mountain
Peace is my name
I am the river
Touched by the wind
I am the story
I never end.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 16:27
Originally posted by captain2man captain2man wrote:

The Kansas catalog from the first album right through Monolith is incredibly solid.

After that - they became more of an above-average AOR band......although they picked it up solidly - and totally under the radar - with Freaks of Nature in '95 & even moreso with Somewhere to Elsewhere in '00.....which will most likely be the last Kansas studio record you'll see...but a very solid release for a swan song.
Somewhere To Elsewhere is very good indeedThumbs Up (havn't heard Freaks Of Nature though)
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 16:51
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by captain2man captain2man wrote:

Somewhere To Elsewhere is very good indeedThumbs Up (havn't heard Freaks Of Nature though)

Freaks of Nature is an excellent album.  A bit heavier and it has Ragsdale on violin duties, so there's a different sound from just that.

Somewhere to Elsewhere is Kansas' best album.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 18:35
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

This is a pretty good deal considering these are all the remastered versions, so there are some bonus tracks along with better-sounding cuts than the originals (most of which I originally owned as crappy 8-tracks).  I have all of these on vinyl but not many on CD, so this is a good way to pick them all up cheap.

Yeah, this is tailor made for you then.  And the price just can't be beat.

Hell, even if you like only half their catalog I think this is a good deal.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2012 at 12:56
I wouldn't mind swapping all the remasters I have for the mini-LPs even if I did have to wind up with the last three albums in the set.  I started to lose interest in the band after Monolith, which has it's moments.

Edited by Slartibartfast - June 16 2012 at 12:57
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

FromAbove View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2012 at 20:27

I have listened to all the albums, and I believe them to be all good albums for the price you're getting them. 

You're pretty much getting the longest stretch of uninterrupted music recordings.

Vinyl Confessions and Drastic Measures are rather of a departure from older stuff, but the band truly reinvent themselves on Drastic Measures.

(I would have gotten it myself, but since I own like most of those albums I don't want duplicates)

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Freaks of Nature is an excellent album.  A bit heavier and it has Ragsdale on violin duties, so there's a different sound from just that.

YES! YES! YES!

(I don't think it needs remastering, though)

Edited by FromAbove - June 16 2012 at 20:28
Cthulhu42 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2012 at 21:32
I have all the Kansas albums I desire to, those being the ones from the debut through Monolith, plus Somewhere to Elsewhere. If I didn't, though, this would be quite the deal.
 Post Reply Post Reply