Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFoxtrot or Fragile?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Poll Question: Which album do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
42 [41.18%]
52 [50.98%]
7 [6.86%]
1 [0.98%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 20:50
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

But I won't be getting into bands who formed after 1975 apart from bands such as uk and national health who were made of members of bands from pre 75. Modern bands will never have the right mix and they'll never have the right influences. ... I reckon Yes were not that great after 1972 either. I dodn't really care for experimenting and I don't really like fusion. It just sounds silly and annoying most of the time. The ultimate bands don't try to overdo it Big smile

My personal favorite:

Modern bands will never have the right mix and they'll never have the right influences.

That's a very naive statement to make, cap'n ... err ... doc.

I know what I'm on about. Until I find a modern band that will happily make my collection I'll never rate modern bands. I reckon the only country who has continued the original style the most is France. They seem to have a good formula
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 21:08
Foxtrot for me, a much more cohesive album.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 22:29

Maybe I won't run out of late 60s, 70s or early 80s. But I won't be getting into bands who formed after 1975 apart from bands such as uk and national health who were made of members of bands from pre 75. Modern bands will never have the right mix and they'll never have the right influences. Songs from the good days are just a few classes above. I prefer old prog bands who can mix it up a bit with melodies, rock and folk. So bands such as Crimson and Floyd probably don't even make my top 15 bands of the 70s. Gabriel Genesis doesn't make my top 10, but late 70s Genesis bring them into my top 10. I reckon Yes were not that great after 1972 either. I dodn't really care for experimenting and I don't really like fusion. It just sounds silly and annoying most of the time. The ultimate bands don't try to overdo it Big smile

Bands mixing it up with melodies, rock and folk could be Decemberists, could be Joanna Newsom, even Mostly Autumn, any number of artists.   Have you ever heard a modern music album from start to finish?  Tongue  If so, what was that wretched title that so permanently hoisted you into this ultimate closed minded view on music?

dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 22:57
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Maybe I won't run out of late 60s, 70s or early 80s. But I won't be getting into bands who formed after 1975 apart from bands such as uk and national health who were made of members of bands from pre 75. Modern bands will never have the right mix and they'll never have the right influences. Songs from the good days are just a few classes above. I prefer old prog bands who can mix it up a bit with melodies, rock and folk. So bands such as Crimson and Floyd probably don't even make my top 15 bands of the 70s. Gabriel Genesis doesn't make my top 10, but late 70s Genesis bring them into my top 10. I reckon Yes were not that great after 1972 either. I dodn't really care for experimenting and I don't really like fusion. It just sounds silly and annoying most of the time. The ultimate bands don't try to overdo it Big smile

Bands mixing it up with melodies, rock and folk could be Decemberists, could be Joanna Newsom, even Mostly Autumn, any number of artists.   Have you ever heard a modern music album from start to finish?  Tongue  If so, what was that wretched title that so permanently hoisted you into this ultimate closed minded view on music?

Decemberists are bloody terrible lol. I'm talking about 70s style melodies. When classical and jazz combined with straight rock and folk Tongue
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 23:26

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Decemberists are bloody terrible lol. I'm talking about 70s style melodies. When classical and jazz combined with straight rock and folk Tongue

What on earth is straight rock and which band, exactly, combined all four of these?  The jazzier bands didn't have much to do with folk and the classically oriented bands were not so involved in rock.  The one band that would fit your description to a limited extent is Magma and they were unique even for the 70s and certainly don't typify 70s prog.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 23:43
^ You can't say this about all bands. Think Pentangle (jazz-folk) and Yes (symph rock) and KC (not so symph, but still classical rock).

Edited by Dayvenkirq - June 23 2012 at 23:44
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2012 at 23:52
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

^ You can't say this about all bands. Think Pentangle (jazz-folk) and Yes (symph rock) and KC (not so symph, but still classical rock).

Yes, I was only making general observations and my point was more that hardly any bands combine all four forms - rock, folk, classical and jazz - and especially not in the same album.  KC were more symphonic on ITCOTCK but they dispensed with that in the Wetton lineup.  There is still classical, but of the un-melody variety that the doctor disapproves of.
wjohnd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 02:31
Can't choose. They both have classic tracks as well as songs i don't care for. I'm more familiar with fragile, and therefore more cognizant of its flaws, but that doesn't mean foxtrot is better,so i'm going for a draw.
HannesHolmqvist View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 08:47
I think Fragile is a more interesting album, because you're able to hear much how Yes made their music, more of the individual personalities. However, Foxtrot contains better, more enjoyble compositions. It also feels more complete, so I prefer the experience of listening to Foxtrot!
Moonlightknight View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 08:54
Neither of these two albums are my favorites by either Yes or Genesis. Both to me are about equal in the quality of songs. For me the Fragile album would probably have to be my choice here but only by the slightest of margins. Both would be highly recommended to anyone just venturing into prog.
Codera the Great View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2012 at 03:10
Foxtrot is an amazing record.
MonsterMagnet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2012 at 10:18
+1 for Genesis
peskypesky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2012 at 10:41
VERY hard choice. Love both of those albums. I think "Foxtrot" is a stronger album all the way through, but "Fragile" has some of the greatest prog songs ever, so I voted tie.
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2012 at 10:58
good albums

I went with Fragile
There be dragons
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345