Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Young People Relieved They Don't Have to Own Music
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYoung People Relieved They Don't Have to Own Music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Young People Relieved They Don't Have to Own Music
    Posted: June 18 2012 at 10:16
http://us.cnn.com/2012/06/15/tech/web/music-streaming/index.html?hpt=hp_bn5

Some highlights:

Quote "Ninety percent of my friends stream music. To be honest, I haven't seen someone use iTunes in a really long time."  "streaming will be the norm. It's more practical and more convenient than buying music and uploading it onto something. And the best part is, it's free."

Quote "There is a certain relief with not having to own music. It is a lot of work,"

DiCola believes that music consumers' transition to a full streaming model will be a lot slower than people think.

"Old media sticks around," he said. "FM radio is still around, and just because tech is new doesn't mean it is better in all dimensions." He cited vehicles as one area where streaming music will be slow to gain a foothold.

"Think of Napster," he said. "When it came out people were saying the record labels would disappear, but they didn't."

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 10:19
Damn, it is a lot of work.  What have I done with my life?
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 10:24
I know. Punching in credit card numbers on Amazon and waiting 2 weeks to receive a CD while never getting off my chair is a lot of work. I guess unwrapping the case is a lot of work, especially the sticker at the top.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 10:31
Quote He believes the cloud model is where the state of music is heading, and for many people ownership is not essential.

No no no no no no no...

NO!!

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
tarkus1980 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 10:37
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I know. Punching in credit card numbers on Amazon and waiting 2 weeks to receive a CD while never getting off my chair is a lot of work. I guess unwrapping the case is a lot of work, especially the sticker at the top.

You're waiting 2 weeks? Get Amazon Prime already!
"History of Rock Written by the Losers."
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 10:51
Originally posted by tarkus1980 tarkus1980 wrote:

You're waiting 2 weeks?

No, I just used a general amount of time, but regardless; how long I wait for a physical copy is off-topic.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 11:14

Quote "There is a certain relief with not having to own music. It is a lot of work,"

God, I lived to buy albums, still II love to go on search safaris, it's relaxing and rewarding, maybe using their index finger to search in a bunch of albums gets them exhausted..This is BS.

The system controls people more and more each day, now they are told what to like.

We are doomed as a civilization.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - June 18 2012 at 11:15

Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 11:30
I don't see what I should be getting so outraged about.  It's unfortunate, I know, that streaming makes it more difficult for artists to make money.  The comment about it being "a lot of work" to own music is pretty silly, but that doesn't change that it takes a lot of money to buy all of the music you like.  Most young people don't have a whole lot of money, especially college students who have to balance school with a part-time job, and pay for their education at the same time.  They're not doing anything illegal or morally wrong, so why should we be angry with them for streaming music?  We can lament these changes in the music industry all we want but in the end, there's no one to blame, no one to be angry at, and no way to change things, so artists and record companies are just going to have to figure out how to adapt.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 11:47
^ No one said you had to get angry or outraged at anything. Just bringing this "issue" to light for discussion. It's just interesting that my generation sees it OK to not have to spend money on music if they don't have to. That attitude will be applied to more than just music if they ever see the opportunity arise.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 11:50
Part of the "work" involved in owning music is boxing it up and moving it.  I know a couple of times I've cursed myself when I had to move to a new house.  CDs and records are heavy in large numbers.

Edited by HolyMoly - June 18 2012 at 11:50
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 11:56
If you read the full article, you'd see that many people don't even download music from iTunes or Amazon anymore, so it's not even completely about the "hard work" of acquiring CDs, ripping them to a computer, storing them, etc. People are just as satisfied to stream it for free and have zero ownership of the music, whether in physical form or digital form.

I say, more power to them, I'm sure the majority of people doing this are not people like us, or most music fans. It's probably people that listen to mainstream stuff ("whatever's on the radio") that probably makes its money tenfold over the "good" music anyway.
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 11:57
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Part of the "work" involved in owning music is boxing it up and moving it.  I know a couple of times I've cursed myself when I had to move to a new house.  CDs and records are heavy in large numbers.

This is true, when I moved last time, the CDs were the heaviest part ... and then re-shelving them all was a huge PITA, especially because of course if I'm going to reshelve them, may as well reorganised them. I'm not looking forward to moving again, my collection has grown quite significantly since then...

As far as streaming goes, I have no problems with it for the most part, I do it myself, it's nice and convenient, especially for checking out new music. I'm still stuck in my ways and end up trying to buy whatever I can that I end up liking.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 12:01
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

That's why I ultimately ditched all the plastic and put all my CDs into sleeves.  Space is at a premium at my house and the physical CDs in cases were just taking up too much room.  In any case, I have them all ripped, so it's pretty much storage.

On-topic:  whether CDs or a downloaded file, I still actually want a copy resident on my own machines.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 12:04
Ive said stuff like this before: what if Spotify, Pandora, or cloud storage shut down for whatever reason, never to return (or started charging $499.99 for usage). Now you have no music, and have to buy (or illegallly obtain) music, from scratch.

Many responses are "Those things aren't going to shut down". My response, "You don't know that!"
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 12:20
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

money, especially college students who have to balance school with a part-time job, and pay for their education at the same time.

We were young and had no money also, but even worst, we didn't have downloads  or samples, we bought the albums almost blindly, for God's sake in my country we didn't even had Prog albums, we had to get them from other countries...But that was what made us appreciate music.

People always wanted music for free, I was watching the Isle Of Wight (The Who) Blue-ray and people broke the barriers to get music for free, there was a guy who shouted that they didn't wanted to feed the artists, that music was for people and had to be free, that he didn't wanted artists who had to be paid.

Of course they were repressed...Today they make free downloading illegal, but give free streaming of full albums...I simply don't get it.

Kids today don't even want to choose what they want to listen, they allow others to decide for them, this seems absurd for me.

Maybe I'm a bitter old fart, but I always believed artists have to eat, and that's their career, they have to be paid, and if you don't enjoy music enough to go to a store and find the album you want...Well, you don't care for music at all.

Iván

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 12:44

Clap Well said Iván Clap

What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 12:46

Ive said stuff like this before: what if Spotify, Pandora, or cloud storage shut down for whatever reason, never to return (or started charging $499.99 for usage). Now you have no music, and have to buy (or illegallly obtain) music, from scratch.

Many responses are "Those things aren't going to shut down". My response, "You don't know that!"
Hopefully one day people will wake up to the realisation that "the cloud" is one huge rip-off - doesn't anyone get it that when Microsoft, Apple and Amazon are pushing something as the latest must-have it's going to be the last thing on earth than anyone should have. Welcome to the clod.
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 12:50
I don't know what the cloud is.
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 12:53
Owning music is hard? What the f**k? If you think owning music is hard, then you're the laziest ass person I've met!

Edited by smartpatrol - June 18 2012 at 12:54
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 12:55
It's apparently a generational thing.

I spend 7+ years downloading music and accumulating a library on my hard drive. I recently reformatted and deleted all of it. For 99% of my music, I use Spotify, and I love the model. It certainly beats buying a physical CD.

If they decided to raise the barrier to use it (ie raise price), then all the people who pirate and have stopped (mostly) because of this service, will start again.

The bottom line is the old model is COMPLETELY DEAD. Whatever replaces it, it will be on the internet.

Re: "Generational thing"

I mean this in a broader sense, too. Some older people (my parents/grandparents, Congressman, newspeople, etc.) don't get how much the Internet means to my generation. They think it is just another source of information, or a time waster most often. Nope. It is THE source of news, culture, political ideas, and media. This is why people my age can be defensive as hell about regulation of it. What I see is busybodies in Congress and international bodies trying to regulate a socio-cultural equalizer, and holding onto the past when the future is knocking at the door. Don't like it? Fall by the wayside, IMO. But the resentment that comes from older folks struggling to hold back the rapid progression of technology is tiresome to me, at best.

Edited by stonebeard - June 18 2012 at 13:06
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>