Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Glass Hammer's new album "Perilous" - latest news
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGlass Hammer's new album "Perilous" - latest news

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2012 at 00:03
Steve tosses us this brief Prog Rock Magazine article via Facebook:

I wonder if Jon Davison will give Yes the shot of youth & enthusiasm it has been lacking for years?  Yes are already talking about their next CD, so we may see a cross fertilization between Glass Hammer and Yes in terms of composition.  Stay tuned!
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2012 at 00:54
Think I might have to put in for that pre-order! I haven't missed a single album of theirs since the wonderful `Lex Rex', and I have to admit, that t-shirt actually looks quite stylish and smart!

Now if only we could convince the band about some vinyl releases!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2012 at 01:50
^ yep I might check out that offer as well although I'm not sure when I will be able to wear it as GH never come to the UK.

BTW Fred looks a shadow of his former self in the picture in the link. Perhaps he could send me a copy of his diet along with the CD and T-ShirtSmile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2012 at 01:57
Richard! I know, it's bloody inspiring, to be honest! I was watching the `Live Lex' DVD a week or so ago, and then noticed him on the front of the `Three Cheers' album cover, and the change is unbelievable! Good on him!
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2012 at 18:55
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Richard! I know, it's bloody inspiring, to be honest! I was watching the `Live Lex' DVD a week or so ago, and then noticed him on the front of the `Three Cheers' album cover, and the change is unbelievable! Good on him!

True.

As for the album, I'm liking what I hear, Still sounds quite a bit like Yes, but less than their previous two. I'll still wait and see, but I'm a bit more optimistic with the album.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2012 at 19:06
CCVP! I haven't listened to the previews yet, just going to buy it outright and be surprised when I hear it! I don't feel I need to give it a go in case it's no good, I always expect quality things from the band. But I know what you mean, I'd rather they step away from the Yes-sound a bit more, too.

I have to ask everyone, do we know at all who that character on the front cover is meant to be, or what he represents?! I find him quite unpleasant! Any ideas?!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - September 19 2012 at 19:07
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 03:08
I got If and really liked it, contrary to most.  True, it sounds like Yes but the music is great. 
I haven't got Cor Cordium yet and am really interested in the new one too.

I never bothered getting the Three Cheers album having seen the reviews.  Is it really that bad? 
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 08:16

CCVP! I haven't listened to the previews yet, just going to buy it outright and be surprised when I hear it! I don't feel I need to give it a go in case it's no good, I always expect quality things from the band. But I know what you mean, I'd rather they step away from the Yes-sound a bit more, too.

I have to ask everyone, do we know at all who that character on the front cover is meant to be, or what he represents?! I find him quite unpleasant! Any ideas?!

I have absolutely no idea who that guy is, but I guess it has something to do with the album's theme, IDK, maybe it's darker than the other two. And, mind you, i've been a fan of the guys since Chronometree, which is almost like a ELP clone of an album, but is still lest of a clone than their latest two, surprisingly! Shocked

I'm still not sure if this album will fly or not, but I'm a bit more happy wiyth what I hear with the previews. I'll still check it eventually, but i'll only buy it only after chacking on the internet (YT, etc)

Originally posted by Roj M30 Roj M30 wrote:

I got If and really liked it, contrary to most. True, it sounds like Yes but the music is great.
I haven't got Cor Cordium yet and am really interested in the new one too.
I never bothered getting the Three Cheers album having seen the reviews. Is it really that bad?

To me it is a very good album. People tend to bash it because it is very different from the band's other material. You can check my personal opinion on that album in my review of it.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2012 at 06:58
CCVP! That guy on the front cover of the upcoming album, going by the fact that the band uses a lot of Christian elements in their music, I was kind of assuming he was the Devil! He certainly looks intimidating!

I know what you mean about the Yes comparisons. As much as I love the two most recent albums, I kind of miss the older style of Lex/Shadowlands/the dble Secret album. Still grand and epic classic prog sounds, just not quite as focused on the Yes elements! I'd love some female vocalists again too. But Jon has been terrific with them.

I did think `Cor Cordium' was not as `Yessy' as `If', but the music wasn't quite as memorable. Still good though, I listened to it just today!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2012 at 15:11
Originally posted by Roj M30 Roj M30 wrote:

I never bothered getting the Three Cheers album having seen the reviews.  Is it really that bad? 
No it isn't bad its just different. I gave it 5 stars because I value a band trying something different. Also Susie's vocals take centre stage which is one very strong aspect of it. Just don't expect symphonic prog (there isn't any on it)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2012 at 17:30
`Three Cheers...' is a very worthwhile album! It makes a nice break from their traditional super-long epics (which we all love, I know!), but it's got lots of great vocal melodies, wonderful playing and tasteful arrangements. Sophisticated poppy-prog that's very easy to put on in the background and chill out to.

I think the front cover is a little rubbish, though!   
torete View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2012 at 06:55
some information about a vinyl release of "perilous"?
thanks
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2012 at 07:29

`Three Cheers...' is a very worthwhile album! It makes a nice break from their traditional super-long epics (which we all love, I know!), but it's got lots of great vocal melodies, wonderful playing and tasteful arrangements. Sophisticated poppy-prog that's very easy to put on in the background and chill out to.

I think the front cover is a little rubbish, though!   

indeed, the cover is terrible. LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2012 at 02:14
I'm wondering, Richard/CCVP/Cstack, are there enough of us passionate enough about Glass Hammer to start an `Appreciation' thread? I mean, I could yack endlessly about them, I have most of thier albums and have loved them for years!

As much as I love the band, I too prefer the `Pre-Yes' albums, so to speak! `Pre-Jon' might be a better description! Pretty much `Lex Rex - Three Cheers' are the real special ones for me!

Out of the Jon albums, `If' is very good, with perhaps a little too much emphasize on the Yes elements (although I still find the band has more than enough of their own grand symphonic trademarks to not write them off as an outright Yes clone), while `Cor Cordium' has less emphasize on the Yes style, but the writing and arrangements are not quite as memorable as the previous album. I love `Nothing Box', though!

Still, I plan on snapping up the new one straight away, and I'm especially curious if the music will be a little darker to match the cover artwork!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - October 19 2012 at 02:15
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2012 at 14:06
If the new album is strong enough to get people interested then an appreciation thread would have a chance I guess. At the moment it might struggle a bit perhaps although their discography is as interesting and diverse as any modern symph prog band that I'm familiar with.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2012 at 20:05
I would enjoy it.  Working on their discography, only have 3, pre and post Jon, but like them equally.  They are Yes influenced, but not clones, not a bad thing to me.
I was working on getting more of them (If, as I have Cor Cordium) when I fell into the RPI trap and have been blowing funds for about a month now in that genre....Violin.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2012 at 20:33
AE, sounds like a great idea! As I mentioned, I thought `If' was the stronger of the two with Jon, so it you liked `Cor' (which I really do, I don't want it to come across that I don't!), you can't go wrong with `If'!

As for the `pre-Jon' Hammer that I know very well...

`Lex Rex' has a lot of Genesis like symphonic elements, and has got a cracking energy in the keyboard/bass/guitar sound! Some of it is a little rough around the edges, but it's the album that got me into them initially. Blew my mind at the time!

The follow-up `Shadowlands' has a stronger classical sound, hugely aided by the fact they used a proper massive church organ, and it shows - it's so thick and booming! It's very dramatic musically and wistful lyrically, warm male/female vocals too, especially on the long epic finale track.

`The Inconsolable Secret' is a double, and essentially two very different abums. The first disc is comprised of two long epics, while the second disc is a range of shorter folk, classical, orchestral, medieval prog and ballads. I'd maybe go for that one of you don't already have it!

`Culture Of Ascent' is different yet again, with a much heavier guitar sound, lots of hard wailing solos and somewhat darker atmosphere to match the wintery front cover.

And of course the so-called controversial `Three Cheers For The Broken Hearted' is sophisticated proggy-pop with strong female vocals and great instrumentation.

Lots to choose from, and I'm sure others can offer their opinions on which one to try next!
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2012 at 20:41
^ Lex Rex and Shadowlands are the other 2 I have.  Loved Shadowlands on first spin, Lex Rex grew on me and was also my first by them and love it now.  Shooting for "If" and then "Culture" next by them.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2012 at 20:47
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

^ Lex Rex and Shadowlands are the other 2 I have.  Loved Shadowlands on first spin, Lex Rex grew on me and was also my first by them and love it now.  Shooting for "If" and then "Culture" next by them.

Great! Yep, I find the `narration/intro' interludes on `Lex Rex' a little crummy, I guess some of the vocals are a bit daggy, and the album is probably just a little too long, but the quality is outstanding for the majority! Wonderful rich lyrics too, as has become a trademark of all their albums!

Good luck with your next Hammer album!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2012 at 02:56
I'd throw Chronomotree into the discussion as well if I may. Has some nice ELP style keyboard moments reminiscent of Tarkus. People are put off by the vocals which are mostly bland and male orientated but they aren't bad.

Just listening to IF at the moment. For me thats a really strange album. Very focused and very tight playing for sure but I could do with a few keyboard flourishes on the organ to really get me into it perhaps. I do miss Susie as wellCry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>