Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Glass Hammer's new album "Perilous" - latest news
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGlass Hammer's new album "Perilous" - latest news

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2012 at 03:45
I haven't heard `Chronometree' in a little while, so I'm going to dig it out and transfer it onto my Ipod to listen to on the way to work again!

I really like a lot of `If', but it's a lot more refined and...`tasteful' than the previous albums? I mean, not as many booming, bombastic, aggressive moments as before?

I have to admit, I'm really not much of a fan of the second track `Behold The Ziddle', I find the arrangement and especially the vocal melody quite forced. I don't know why it leaves a bit of a bad taste with me, but I really enjoy much of the rest!

I wish they'd bring Susie back too, but I guess with Jon bringing a much higher profile to the band than ever they won't be ditching the Yes boy anytime soon! Nor should they, I don't mean that I don't like him, I'd just like Susie reincorprated into Glass Hammer's music in some form!

Then again, Jon can be quite a feminine singer, so perhaps the other Hammer boys feel the female vocals are already well covered!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - October 20 2012 at 04:04
ProgDrummerTony View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2012 at 15:38
From what I've heard out of the Perilous samples, I think Glass Hammer is moving in a good direction, despite the sound being a lot similar to what we've already heard in If and Cor Cordium. I think with Perilous the band has finally established their true "progressive rock" sound. I realize that some people find GH to be a Yes-clone band, but the more I listen to them and compare it to Yes, I actually see the originality of GH. As of right now I like Glass Hammer better than Yes, because the "ambitious" GH albums seem more rewarding than those of Yes (ex. The Inconsolable Secret vs. Tales from Topographic Oceans).

Trust me, Glass Hammer shouldn't be considered "the new Yes"; they've created their own sound and their own way of orchestration. Keeping up the incredible effort, GH could become legends in prog rock. I just wish everyone would appeciate the band for what they are, not what they sound like. That's all I ask, my fellow prog fans Approve 
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2012 at 16:11
Good call Tony!

I very rarely listen to samples, I just buy the album outright and look forward to being surprised by it! I know with Glass Hammer to expect some high-qaulity symphonic epic progressive rock with wonderful playing, thoughtful lyrics and melodic vocals, and I'm happy to support a band that's giving me a lot of enjoyment over the years!

However....I couldn't possibly write off `Topographic Oceans' compared to `I.Secret'! Both equally impressive me and win my repect and admiration, two albums I've listened to and enjoyed endlessly!
ProgDrummerTony View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2012 at 22:06
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Good call Tony!

I very rarely listen to samples, I just buy the album outright and look forward to being surprised by it! I know with Glass Hammer to expect some high-qaulity symphonic epic progressive rock with wonderful playing, thoughtful lyrics and melodic vocals, and I'm happy to support a band that's giving me a lot of enjoyment over the years!

However....I couldn't possibly write off `Topographic Oceans' compared to `I.Secret'! Both equally impressive me and win my repect and admiration, two albums I've listened to and enjoyed endlessly!

Oh, I don't have anything against Topographic Oceans really. In fact I definitely agree with you that it is an impressive Yes release, even being one of my favorite prog albums of 1973. But when it comes to the substance of both Topographic Oceans and Inconsolable Secret, my perspective appears more positive towards the latter. The concept, structure, and flow of Inconsolable Secret is what primarily draws me in, while Topographic Oceans is just more textured and holds significant values in the '70s progressive rock movement. 

I'm only basing this off of my own personal experience from listening to these albums, and although I do agree that both of the albums can be equally inspiring at times, The Inconsolable Secret is much easier for me to get though more than twice. In my opinion it has more variety and ultimately syncs with me both mentally and emotionally.

In other words, "The Knight of the North"  rules over "The Revealing Science of God" in my opinion.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2012 at 17:13
OK, Glass Hammer has now released "Perilous" to iTunes!  Each song has a brief sample.  I'm really impressed....Davison is an excellent vocalist, but they carve a different path than the one Yes has been on for the past, oh, 20 years or so. 

I also like their use of female vocals!!  

Furthermore, "Perilous" is mentioned in this article about Glass Hammer:

Edited by cstack3 - October 23 2012 at 17:19
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2012 at 18:00
Thanks for the update, CStack3!

Really looking forward to this, and I think you made our day when you dropped the `female vocals' tidbit!

I won't listen to the samples, I just like to be surprised when the CD shows up!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2012 at 02:13

Really looking forward to this, and I think you made our day when you dropped the `female vocals' tidbit!

I won't listen to the samples, I just like to be surprised when the CD shows up!

Glad you enjoyed the news!  I'm hoping GH gets out of the studio and goes on tour.  

From everything I've heard on the CD thus far, it is quite special, I think you'll enjoy it! 

Cheers, M8!  

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2012 at 09:26
You're lucky living in the States, more chance of getting to see them, and a whole bunch of other prog acts, too!

Not like Australia!! We've been lucky enough to have Yes, Unitopia, Porcupine Tree over the last few years, and in a few weeks Goblin in Melbourne - can't quite get over that! - but there's so many acts I'll never get a chance to see unless some serious travelling is involved!

To be honest, when Yes played back in (I think?) March of this year, with Jon from Glass Hammer on vocals, I secretly hoped that he'd bring the rest of the Hammer boys along to be the support act!

Would have been great exposure to the group, I think a lot of the crowd would have gone for them, though they probably would have run the risk of upstaging the main act!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2012 at 09:59

You're lucky living in the States, more chance of getting to see them, and a whole bunch of other prog acts, too!

Not like Australia!! We've been lucky enough to have Yes, Unitopia, Porcupine Tree over the last few years, and in a few weeks Goblin in Melbourne - can't quite get over that! - but there's so many acts I'll never get a chance to see unless some serious travelling is involved!

To be honest, when Yes played back in (I think?) March of this year, with Jon from Glass Hammer on vocals, I secretly hoped that he'd bring the rest of the Hammer boys along to be the support act!

Would have been great exposure to the group, I think a lot of the crowd would have gone for them, though they probably would have run the risk of upstaging the main act!

Sorry to learn that!  I never could understand why bands would pass on Oz, I bet you folks turn out one hell of a great audience!  I think it is even worse in NZ from what I've heard. 

Do you Aussies make up for the lack of the Brit/US bands with your own "home brew"?  You've turned out some great rock acts over the years, but I'm not too familiar with Aussie prog bands.  Please give me a few names of rising prog bands down under!  

Thanks, man! 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2012 at 10:10
Of the current crop of Aussie progressive music, artists like:
Symphonic prog - Myriad and Ben Craven
Neo-prog - Anubis and Unitopia
instantly come to mind! All on the Archives and worth looking into!

Then there's also the younger ones more related to the metal/heavy prog sounds like Kettlespider and Montresor that are showing heaps of potential too!

I know there's more, that's just off the top of my head!
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2012 at 19:46

^ I can vouch (not that its worth anything Smile) for Anubis, the album A Tower of Silence is very good.  This album seems more symphonic to me as another PA member mentioned to me his recommendation of them, although PA has them listed as neo.

Also saw Yes with Jon Davison this past summer, was very pleased with his performance.  I was unaware that he had replaced Benoit until the concert began, that made it so much better!

I am pleased to hear GH has a new release out, can't wait.  However, now I have a dilemma.  I am way behind on my GH albums, was about to get IF as I have Cor Cordium, now Perilous is out.  Guess it is time to catch up...

Edited by AEProgman - October 24 2012 at 19:54
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2012 at 21:26
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

However, now I have a dilemma.  I am way behind on my GH albums, was about to get IF as I have Cor Cordium, now Perilous is out.  Guess it is time to catch up...

Ha, AE, that's a pretty cool dilemna to be in! "Oh no, too many Glass Hammer albums to have to listen to, whatever shall I do?!"

I read one or two promo/interview articles on the net about the newie `Perilous', and the main members seem to think it's a lot darker lyrically and musically, so I can't wait! Perhaps wait for that and check it out with us!

I might break my rule and give some of the samples on Itunes/Amazon a quick listen...   
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2012 at 21:48
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Glad you enjoyed the news!  I'm hoping GH gets out of the studio and goes on tour.  

From everything I've heard on the CD thus far, it is quite special, I think you'll enjoy it! 

Cheers, M8!  

Glass Hammer is on Cruise to the Edge.  Tongue
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2012 at 11:07
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

^ I can vouch (not that its worth anything Smile) for Anubis, the album A Tower of Silence is very good.  This album seems more symphonic to me as another PA member mentioned to me his recommendation of them, although PA has them listed as neo.

Also saw Yes with Jon Davison this past summer, was very pleased with his performance.  I was unaware that he had replaced Benoit until the concert began, that made it so much better!

I am pleased to hear GH has a new release out, can't wait.  However, now I have a dilemma.  I am way behind on my GH albums, was about to get IF as I have Cor Cordium, now Perilous is out.  Guess it is time to catch up...

I'm not even all that familiar with their past releases, but Perilous is really good!  The intro on the first song channels Bruford's "Sahara of Snow," and they do NOT sound like Yes clones!  Davison is in excellent voice....I hope PA members also like it.  
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2012 at 11:19
So looking forward to the newie, Cstack! I'm going to finalise my order with Greg Walker/Syn-Phonic this week and get it (and a whole bunch of other stuff) sent on it's way. Otherwise I'm going to get very jealous of reading all the reviews and not know what they're talking about!

I guess I could console myself by going back and listening to all the previous Hammer ones I have. I really feel like, as much as I like them, I haven't given `Three Cheers' and `Culture' the proper appreciation they deserve.
Topjukes View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2012 at 14:40
BIG NEWS!

Plane Groovy records are thrilled to announce that we will be releasing the new Glass Hammer album “Perilous” at the beginning of December. The album, limited to just 500 numbered copies, will be pressed on 180g vinyl and will include three previously unreleased tracks.

The Band

Glass Hammer is a symphonic-progressive rock band from the United States. While there are plenty of new converts to their music since vocalist Jon Davison was selected to be the new singer for Yes, in fact the band formed in 1992. Many musicians have appeared on Glass Hammer albums, however throughout the years, Steve Babb and Fred Schendel have remained the core of the band.

Lyrically, Glass Hammer is inspired mostly by their love of literature (most notably Tolkien, C. S. Lewis and John Krakauer) and Babb's love of Victorian prose and medieval mythology.
Musically, they lean towards 70's driven symphonic rock, with strong keyboard orientation; specifically Hammond organs in the tradition of ELP.   Their most apparent influences are Yes, ELP, Genesis, and, to a less noticeable extent, Camel.

The Album

For 2012, Babb, Schendel, Alan Shikoh and Davison return with the much anticipated PERILOUS, the follow up to 2010's IF and 2011's Cor Cordium. PERILOUS liner notes read more like earlier Glass Hammer albums with a list of choral members, The Adonia String Trio and even a new female vocalist. But perhaps the comparisons to previous titles ends there.

"We have never done a concept album like PERILOUS," admits GH co-founder Steve Babb. "It is essentially one unified vision; one musical idea in thirteen parts or movements. The emotions and ideas expressed in the lyrics ebb and flow with the music; but they have a definite story to tell with a beginning, middle and climactic end."

And what is that story about?

Babb prefers to allow listeners the chance to interpret the ultimate meaning for themselves, but he did drop some hints. “It should be obvious from the album art and the title PERILOUS that something dire is lurking just beyond that gate. Imagine two children lost in a cemetery at night and the unsavory characters they might meet as they try to find their way home. That is the setting for our allegory."

Ordering Information

Plane Groovy are accepting pre-orders from midnight UK time on the 5th of November. As with all of our releases, we are offering a special shipping rate to North America and Canada; this will take slightly longer than using UK mail but will cost around $6.00 instead of $21.00. When placing your order, please make sure that you choose the correct option for your location.

Come to www.planegroovy.com and place your order now! If you have any queries you can email me directly via [email protected]
www.planegroovy.com - for the music you always wanted to hear on vinyl!
torete View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2012 at 22:55

the first glass hammer vinyl release on 20 years must be on my vinyl collection! of course!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123