Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Glass Hammer's new album "Perilous" - latest news
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGlass Hammer's new album "Perilous" - latest news

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glass Hammer's new album "Perilous" - latest news
    Posted: June 20 2012 at 11:17
Jon's hard at work, recording with Glass Hammer for an upcoming new CD.  

I was wondering if Yes were going to try to snatch him away from Glass Hammer, but that band tells me "uh-uh."
---------
'Davison made it clear, even as the news broke that he’s taking over for Benoit David as Yes’ lead singer, that he would continue to work with Glass Hammer — for whom he has sung on two albums since 2009, If and Cor Cordium.

“Though I’m grateful and excited for this amazing opportunity, it will not jeopardize my involvement with Glass Hammer in any way,” Davison said, in a separate Facebook post. “I plan to steadfastly and enthusiastically continue with Steve, Fred, and Alan.” '

Edited by cstack3 - June 20 2012 at 11:19
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 11:25
I thought it was "Joy Division working on a new album". Damn, I was wishing Ian Curtis would rise to the dead. Unhappy
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 11:38
Glad to hear he didn't put all his eggs in the Yes basket.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 21:09
Given the latest Yes developments... and actually their whole history, he would be very fool to do so.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2012 at 18:16
Even more information regarding the upcoming Glass Hammer CD, which will be a "concept album" -

Glass Hammer is in production on a new concept album due out this fall entitled “Perilous”.

Steve Babb, Fred Schendel, Alan Shikoh and Jon Davison, along with Randall Williams and a cameo by The Adonia String Trio. We’re also recording choral arrangements. Jon finished up vocal recording before beginning rehearsals for the next Yes tour. Fred, Alan and Steve are busy cutting bass, guitar and final keyboard tracks.

We’re very excited about this one!

Edited by cstack3 - June 21 2012 at 23:35
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 13:38
Hi!  I'm a Street Team Member & friend of the band "Glass Hammer," and the band has requested the team to announce the following in different forums:

"Glass Hammer has announced a new concept album (Perilous) to be released fall of 2012. It includes the same lineup as IF and Cor Cordium."

There have been some questions on PA if Jon Davison will remain with Glass Hammer or with Yes, and the "simple" answer is, he has been recording with Glass Hammer and will continue to provide vocalist duties with Yes during the upcoming US tour.  Apparently this arrangement has been working well, and Jon says he has been having a great time with Yes!  

The band Glass Hammer informs me that Jon will remain a full-time member of the band and will not jump ship for the Yes position full-time, so we will want to see how Yes handles the revolving-door vocalist slot in the future.  Chris Squire has mentioned that the band will likely record another new album in coming months, so prog fans have much to look forward to! 

Drop me a message if you need more details or have questions, I'm excited for both bands!  Yes dodged the proverbial bullet when Benoit David became ill, but I don't know what they will do when Glass Hammer goes into full-swing.  

Cheers and best, Chuck Stack & Glass Hammer 

rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 14:46
Maybe Yes will quit when they will not be able to find another good singer, after recruiting all the good that are still left on the prog world... But i won't be surprised that, knowing Chris Squire's pride, he will take the singing part by himself.
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 15:25
Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

I thought it was "Joy Division working on a new album". Damn, I was wishing Ian Curtis would rise to the dead. Unhappy
I saw this too and was also disappointed
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 23:10
Steve Babb provides this additional information:

Glass Hammer has announced a new studio concept album titled “Perilous” which will be released in the fall of 2012. 

“The band lineup is virtually identical to that of IF and Cor Cordium”, says bassist Steve Babb. “But you can expect cameos from The Adonia String Trio, a children's choir, an adult choir and a classical guitar choir; this last being led by Alan Shikoh. Jon Davison spent the month of May recording vocal parts which, according to him, were some of the most challenging tracks he's ever recorded. He's at the top of his game.” 

Expect album art and a track list to show up on the band's website and Facebook page in the near future. Babb and Fred Schendel will spend the next few weeks adding the final overdubs, recording backing vocals and tweaking final mixes before handing off the project to Digital Domain's Bob Katz for mastering.
===

Let's cheer this band on!  I'm looking forward to hearing how this works out.  I'll post links to MP3 samples etc. as they become available.  Cheers!  
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2012 at 00:32
The band just released this brief "teaser" on YouTube!  

"Perilous" is the upcoming Glass Hammer concept album, to be release later in 2012!  I think it will be excellent! 

Edited by cstack3 - July 27 2012 at 00:33
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2012 at 01:49
I would count myself as a fan although I'm struggling a bit with the current incarantion of GH to be honest. I guess I will end up buying this  just because Fred and Steve are so talented.Smile
shanocles View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2012 at 01:51
oh yeah!
if left is wrong i don't wanna be right...
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2012 at 02:45
Thumbs Up
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Morsenator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2012 at 14:56
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Thumbs Up
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2012 at 15:42
Definitely looking forward to this.  Approve
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2012 at 21:13
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I would count myself as a fan although I'm struggling a bit with the current incarantion of GH to be honest. I guess I will end up buying this  just because Fred and Steve are so talented.Smile

Indeed, I don't like this Yes-pastiche era either. I hope they turn the page with this new album.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2012 at 01:07
This was posted to the Glass Hammer Facebook page! 

Quite a bit of information in here!  Steve Babb tells me that the final mixdown for "Perilous" is going well, I'll post additional links when he sends them to the street team.  

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2012 at 13:06
Interesting bit, I thought GH toured a bit, apparently they stay in!  I'm trying to draw them out on the road, we'll see if we can do that:

Glass Hammer officially began in 1992 with longtime friends and musicians Steve Babb (bass and keyboards) and Fred Schendel (keyboards and guitars). Their website provides a good history on this Chattanooga, TN based band along with info on the Musicians, so it won’t be reiterated here. 

Throughout the past two decades Glass Hammer has released 12 studio releases, a few compilation releases and two live releases and is currently working on a new concept CD named Perilous. They have had approximately 15 other musicians contribute vocals, drums, pipe organs, strings and guitars throughout their career but it wasn’t until most recently with the releases of IfCor Cordium and the upcoming Perilous that they have maintained two of what I believe to be their most prominent members, Jon Davison on vocals and Alan Shikoh on guitar. 

When asked if changing line-ups often could possibly discourage fans, they all pointed to other influential bands throughout history that have done the same, like Steely Dan, Alan Parsons and Frank Zappa, for example.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2012 at 08:55
Steve Babb of Glass Hammer provided this update on the CD "Perilous":

"October 23rd release date. Nothing official on our site yet. Announcement soon!"

I'll be sure to pass along information as I hear it.  
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2012 at 11:50
Steve Babb provided us with this brand-new sample from the upcoming "Perilous"!  

As a choir vocal freak, I love the introduction!!  Hope you enjoy it, release date is coming soon!  

Also, samples of songs are available at this site:  http://glasshammer.com/pages/features/Perilous.html

Pre-orders of the CD are being taken, and the new tee-shirt is killer!  

Cheers, Charles

Edited by cstack3 - September 10 2012 at 14:28
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>