Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Avant Prog Ensemble miRthkon to Release Live DVD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAvant Prog Ensemble miRthkon to Release Live DVD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Avant Prog Ensemble miRthkon to Release Live DVD
    Posted: June 20 2012 at 13:33
For Immediate Release

Avant Prog Ensemble miRthkon to Release New Live DVD

Oakland, CA - The prog world is buzzing with excitement about the forthcoming DVD release by miRthkon; Oakland, CA based amplified chamber ensemble masquerading as a rock band. This illusion is well maintained by the fact that from time to time they do indeed rock. Maintaining a passionate aesthetic stance that they are (quite happily) 'beneath everything', their music – whether evoking the direct or indirect influence of progressive rock, contemporary classical abstraction, avant-garde jazz, catchy hook-laden pop, or thrash metal – is held to a simple but firm standard: Does it sound good? miRthkon's forthcoming live DVD titled (Format) is a testament to the group's innovative approach to live performance and music in general.

"The DVD was somewhat of an accident," explains band leader and guitarist Wally Scharold. "It was not planned. We had incorporated live and pre-recorded video projection in our shows since mid-2008. These were originally introduced as short interludes between songs to keep the audience engaged during long song breaks due to required technical changes to perform the next song. By the time we played CalProg in October 2010, our multimedia approach was at its most ambitious, including nearly 30 of these videos. It was very well rehearsed and we performed it beautifully, all captured in a free 32-track recording, provided by the festival. I had filmed our set from a single angle in the hall's light booth for archival purposes, which was hardly enough to justify a legit concert film. But after reaching out to the fans, we managed to track down a couple more angles – one very close to the stage – and suddenly we had the raw footage to cut together something. However, the lack of any real planning (and professional videographers) made for less than ideal footage, so we had to get really creative with the editing when we just didn’t have the shot we wanted. One and 1/2 years later, it's finally done." Unlike a standard concert film, (Format) integrates interviews, surrealistic documentary footage, and an underlying plot pointing to a vast conspiracy!

miRthkon's diverse musical influences range from Classical: Webern, Stravinsky, Dutilleux, Varese, Feldman, Gerhard. Metal: late 80s/early 90s thrash, Meshuggah, Fantomas. Avant-Rock: Mr. Bungle, Albert Marcoeur, Thinking Plague, Tipographica, Magma. Jazz: Eric Dolphy, Jimmy Giuffre, Anthony Braxton, Muhal Richard Abrams, Henry Threadgill, Hermeto Pascoal, Itibere Orquestra Familia, Ben Monder, Raymond Scott. Pop/Rock: ZZ Top, Michael Jackson, Ben Folds. "Zappa is the primary influence, on multiple levels: the approach to the music is similar how the rock band format is run much more like a chamber ensemble," says Wally. "Players need fluency in virtually all modes of performance practice in which their instrument is or has been involved including contemporary classical, big band to avant/free jazz, metal, prog, funk, etc. Zappa's attitude/philosophy/aesthetic/humor is also a huge influence. In a way, you could say we've hopped on to a similar thread of 'Conceptual Continuity'. We employ his 'journalistic' approach of incorporating experiences from our own life/environment into the content of our work. Often to an extreme, though most of that goes over peoples' heads."

miRthkon is:
Wally Scharold – guitars, vocals, composition, sound design, conceptual design, text, video, producer
Travis Andrews – guitars
Matt Lebofsky – bass guitar, vocals
Carolyn Walter – piccolo, flute, clarinet, bass clarinet, alto saxophone, tenor saxophone
Jamison Smeltz – alto saxophone, baritone saxophone, vocals
Matt Guggemos – drums and percussion
Jarred McAdams – video, text, conceptual collaborator

Here's what the press has said about miRthkon:

“A big-sounding, in-your-face outfit, adopting the familiar format of RIO/Avant ensembles (a core plus a number of guests and collaborators), they have immediately established themselves as a name to watch with one of the most impressive debut albums of the past two decades (and possibly longer).” - Raffaella Berry, Progressor.net

“Their brand of avant-rock with jazzy and big-band-like interludes, backed by metal-ish sounding guitars and reed instruments of sorts is a delight to listen to, as they go nuts and move progressively forward in an abstract–like manner. Listening to this brought to my mind, Mr. Bungle, Frank Zappa, Miriodor and Invincible Czars, to give you a rough estimate of what to expect.” - Assaf Vestin, Sonic Frontiers

“It’s prog rock. But there’s so much more here that you won’t find in typical prog circles: a rollicking sense of humor, a heavy dose of real jazz (garbled, knotted free jazz, NOT the occasional major-7th chord that rock reviewers call “jazz”), and amusing spoken-word segments like futuristic (yet old-world) radio announcements.” - Forrest Bryant, Memory Select

“The variations within the compositions are so many that trying to describe each track would make this article more like a book than a review. The music throughout is intense, sometimes dark and heavy, sometimes playful but always adventurous.” - Richard Barnes, Sea of Tranquility

“For those in the know, miRthkon means ‘the illusion of joy” – and for those in the know, this is a misnomer, for there is no illusion. This was pure joy.” - Richard Warp, Berkeley Music Examiner

In support of their new DVD release, miRthkon will tour thee US in August. Joining the band at various stops will be MoeTar, Lovely Little Ladies (Cheer Accident side project), District 97, Thinking Plague, Kayo Dot, and TBD.

miRthkon Tour Dates:
8/11 Baltimore
8/12 NYC
8/13 NYC
8/14 Philly (Sellersville)
8/15 Cleveland
8/16 Detroit
8/17 Chicago
8/18 Chicago
8/19 Kansas City
8/20 St. Louis/TBD
8/21 Omaha
8/22 Denver
8/23 Santa Fe
8/24 Tucson
8/25 San Diego
8/26 LA
8/28 SF

Release date - July 3, 2012

For more information: www.miRthkon.com

To pre-order miRthkon (Format) DVD: www.miRthkon.com/format.html

Press inquiries: Glass Onyon PR, PH: 828-350-8158, [email protected] 
Lebofsky View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2012 at 16:47
I'll post more updated info about the tour once I figure out why the forums won't let me create new threads...

- Matt
Keyboards/Bass/Guitar/Drums/Voice - Secret Chiefs 3 | miRthkon | MoeTar | Bodies Floating Ashore

Too much info here: http://www.lebofsky.com
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2012 at 17:56
Need more posts haha
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2012 at 00:51
The website needs to unbreak. Cry
miRthkon View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2012 at 13:17
Unbroken.  Making this movie has cursed us.  They need to change Murphy's Law to miRthy's Law.  I'll be amazed if I finish typing this without something going wron  --- OW!

See?

Only catch is if you want to snag the digital version of (format) you have to wait (AGAIN) as I relocate the file to another server.  That's what hosed our site, apparently.  Should be up later this afternoon.

Edited by miRthkon - July 25 2012 at 13:24
Lebofsky View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2012 at 20:32
Need more posts, eh? Well here's another. 

I'll make you all a deal. Anybody who comes to any of these shows in August can ask me any one question they like about searching for extraterrestrial intelligence (that's my day job). 

- Matt
Keyboards/Bass/Guitar/Drums/Voice - Secret Chiefs 3 | miRthkon | MoeTar | Bodies Floating Ashore

Too much info here: http://www.lebofsky.com
miRthkon View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2012 at 19:21
Neato.  
Wally Scharold,
Benevolent Dictator of

miRthkon View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2012 at 19:22
Can I start new threads yet?
Wally Scharold,
Benevolent Dictator of

SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2012 at 20:15
Bump for prosperity, and prestige!
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2012 at 14:47
Thinking about it, is there still this story of DVD zones? Because I'm not sure to find this DVD in France, and I'm still not sure if I can play American DVDs on my European DVD player.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2012 at 14:53
Hmm, that I'm not sure about, but they do also offer a download version on their website.  I'd say figure out if they're Region 0 or something like that first, though, because the disc version has some more material.  I'll see if Wally or one of the other guys from the band registered here can chime in on that.
miRthkon View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2012 at 17:00
It's region-free but NTSC.  France has some unique formats, but if you've successfully played NTSC region-free DVDs, you're fine.  Then there's also the blu-ray version!
Wally Scharold,
Benevolent Dictator of

Post Reply Post Reply